Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MrYenko posted:

Right thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I love how USDM car clubs in Japan will cruise with like a '89 Lincoln, a '96 Mustang, a LHD 6th gen Civic, a Cavalier, and a '05 F150. And I bet they feel the same with people in the US going nuts over their kei vans.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Motronic posted:

I've had the opportunity to drive one. It's definitely a mixed bag that falls into "don't meet your heros".

They sound wonderful. They feel so right. But they are slow as balls and you're gonna get dusted by a mid 90s minivan.

I drove behind a 308 GTB in Pebble Beach today and it looked great. I slowed down to let him pass me so I could gawk more.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MrYenko posted:

Right thread. Fight me.

:colbert:

This one shouldn't even be a vote, if you don't think that car is cool then you have immensely lovely taste and no sense of fun.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I have serious concerns about the seatbelt/airbag situation.

OTOH, the color scheme might hide the stains.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Right thread. Fight me.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

ryanrs posted:

I have serious concerns about the seatbelt/airbag situation.

Uhhhh I don't think a '73 Monte Carlo came with airbags to begin with.

The paint job on the car is an absolute beauty. And if you're curious more pictures are here, looks like it has a hydraulic setup too: https://www.kurumaerabi.com/usedcar/detail/20001126-228/

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The entire interior is upholstered, except for the one place your face will be in an accident, which is made of metal chain.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ryanrs posted:

The entire interior is upholstered, except for the one place your face will be in an accident, which is made of metal chain.

You are driving that thing low and sloooow. It's a early 70's car, hitting the OEM steering wheel would probably be worse.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

ryanrs posted:

The chain is a holder for a selection of flower/animal plushes that you insert before driving.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm conflicted. I love the outside but would be embarrassed to invite someone inside it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Right thread

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm conflicted. I love the outside but would be embarrassed to invite someone inside it.

Thankfully, you probably wouldn't have to worry about that

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Suburban Dad posted:

The interior is the best part!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Suburban Dad posted:

You DID see the back seat, right?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So I have a rule of thumb on whether or not cars like this fit in one or the other. This is a road car, which means if there is anything that makes it a hazard to the occupants or other drivers, it's terrible. Why is it bad that occupants can't just enjoy the car they've made? Because if some 16 year old is involved in an at fault accident and kills the other occupants in this death trap, it's going to gently caress them up for the rest of their life.

TL;DR: wrong thread. Though if it rolls off the trailer at car shows, then it's in the right thread. The plates suggest otherwise, however.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That cars owns and this is the right thread.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The seats need more back support and the chain link stuff doesn't really go with it. Other than that it's incredible.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
butt plug controls are awesome

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

mobby_6kl posted:

Thankfully, you probably wouldn't have to worry about that

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mcqueen posted:

butt plug controls are awesome

Brakes actuated by clenching

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Brakes actuated by clenching

Well then we shouldn't be letting the goatman drive it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

um excuse me posted:

This is a road car, which means if there is anything that makes it a hazard to the occupants or other drivers, it's terrible.

Using this logic I'm going to nominate every single new pickup truck sold in the USA because the danger to its occupants are the inconvenience of mowing down pedestrians they can't see :colbert:

Absolutely that Monto Carlo belongs in this thread, it rules.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I do not own a pickup nor have plans to, go hot wild on that one. Might as well cram SUVs in there too. If it were up to me, it would be illegal to privately own anything over 4000 pounds.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I do not own a pickup nor have plans to, go hot wild on that one. Might as well cram SUVs in there too. If it were up to me, it would be illegal to privately own anything over 4000 pounds.

That's real big city/suburbia dweller energy.

Some of us own bigger stuff that we actually use to get poo poo done. Some of us own big poo poo not just to get random stuff done but to like.....on topic for here......drag poo poo to races. And we're not professional drivers nor have a corporate entity for our activities.

You want to make a license endorsement/level for "things that aren't a sedan or small CUV"? I'm on board.

But gating that stuff out of private ownership is immensely short sighted.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anything to make cars smaller, not bigger.

Like the new EV hummer weighs 9000 pounds. But electric means green right? You still need that energy to move all of that god drat steel, regardless of where it comes from, which is terrible for the environment.

Plus lighter cars would be cheaper to make and sell, would require less crash structure to protect you from soccer mom in a 3 row SUV, urban planning would be easier, people with lower incomes would have access to personal transport increasing access to reasonable incomes, etc. A lot of our problems are solved making cars smaller and lighter. Much more than it generates. I bet less than 5% of the population privately tows or hauls anything over 500 pounds. But let's take a look at what percentage of the vehicle market is new truck sales. 16% are full size pickups. This is the problem.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Reactionary "solutions" don't solve problems was the point of my post.

I get that you have gripes. I get that you don't think most people "need" large and heavy vehicles. You are using extremes to make your point and don't seem to understand how we got to where we are.

There are no easy solutions. "Banning" things you don't like is an "easy solution" that doesn't work. Try a bit of nuance.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Nah ban privately owned vehicles over 4000 pounds. You can still rent what you need to occasional hauling. People in rural areas can easily make commercial claims for truck ownership for agriculture. There are plenty of avenues to get what you need. It just frankly needs to be harder to own heavy vehicles. We ain't gonna agree on this.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Nah ban privately owned vehicles over 4000 pounds. You can still rent what you need to occasional hauling. People in rural areas can easily make commercial claims for truck ownership for agriculture. There are plenty of avenues to get what you need. It just frankly needs to be harder to own heavy vehicles. We ain't gonna agree on this.

That's correct, we won't because you are oversimplifying problems to a point where your opinion is basically reeeeeeeeeeeeeee rather than constructive.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Wrong thread. This derail belongs in the terrible car stuff thread.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Post something awesome then.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

um excuse me posted:

Post something awesome then.

OK!

https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=80067

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rvbPSoW4i4

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhhcBQXTB64
found the option magazine youtube channel, i guess they have a lot of good material to grab clips of in the archives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IExmESt50Ss&t=129s
like the only person that ever tried to take a countach drifting

razorscooter fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 7, 2021

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
You all like box flares, right?

https://twitter.com/GoodwoodRRC/status/1468143244269785088

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Oh yeah

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

um excuse me posted:

Nah ban privately owned vehicles over 4000 pounds.
why do you hate crown victorias/grand marquis/town cars? :mad:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Now I want to see it the other way around: R5 Fiesta shell on a Panda 4x4. Confuse the hell out of people when you go 4 wheeling. All of 48hp, screaming up hills very, very slowly.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cage posted:

why do you hate crown victorias/grand marquis/town cars? :mad:

You could still rent them, race them. Or alternatively the rule could not be retroactive so that even the shittiest crown Vic is $10,000

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Choosing the thread based on what the plate says

https://twitter.com/DrWallkick/status/1468275126885969920?s=20

Get it in the good colour

https://twitter.com/Tim_Oldland/status/1468240931447050250?t=0qe8RnbKFFZQUz286wqLrg&s=19

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

NoWake posted:

I love how USDM car clubs in Japan will cruise with like a '89 Lincoln, a '96 Mustang, a LHD 6th gen Civic, a Cavalier, and a '05 F150. And I bet they feel the same with people in the US going nuts over their kei vans.

Im fascinated with japans chicano subculture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGQfrLh9Evw