Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I hope they bring back this bit, one of my favorite jokes from when I first started listening to the podcast, when they do their Matrix episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvXBmuVziDE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
No once in a lifetime?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Rageaholic posted:

I hope they bring back this bit, one of my favorite jokes from when I first started listening to the podcast, when they do their Matrix episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvXBmuVziDE

I recently listened to the old Revolutions episode (all 3 are up on Netflix in advance of the new one btw) and it's a great example of them mining incredible comedy from the scenario, when the film itself is too boring or convoluted to riff on.

I'm also really hoping for the return of "Keanu's assistant/roommate" who keeps forging his signature and signing him onto lovely movies. I think that was from the Johnny Mnemonic ep?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

jojoinnit posted:

I recently listened to the old Revolutions episode (all 3 are up on Netflix in advance of the new one btw) and it's a great example of them mining incredible comedy from the scenario, when the film itself is too boring or convoluted to riff on.

I'm also really hoping for the return of "Keanu's assistant/roommate" who keeps forging his signature and signing him onto lovely movies. I think that was from the Johnny Mnemonic ep?

Brian: The Resurrection

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Casablanca is a great movie. The scene with the singing is one of my all time favourites.

Also fun to hear them talk about Toy Story. It’s the first movie I can remember watching in theatres and love.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Billy Gnosis posted:

No once in a lifetime?

https://twitter.com/whmpodcast/status/1467834460645244937?s=21

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Man, I'm hyped for December. What a fantastic list.

BigglesSWE posted:

Casablanca is a great movie. The scene with the singing is one of my all time favourites.

I've still somehow never seen it. It's on my list in the Shameful: Greatest Movies Never Seen thread and I was assigned it like 2 years ago but still never got to it. Doesn't look like my thing but everybody raves about it so I need to knuckle down.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

jojoinnit posted:

That was the ep on The Watcher, where Brian was his assistant/roommate who got him into doing the movie.
:goonsay:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Casablanca is one of those movies that has been so parodied and referenced that I don't feel the need to watch it since I am pretty sure I know 95% of the plot via osmosis.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've seen Overdrawn at the Memory Bank I think I have a good idea what Casablanca is about

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

SilentChaz posted:

That was the ep on The Watcher, where Brian was his assistant/roommate who got him into doing the movie.
:goonsay:

This is the good kind of goonsay :cheers:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

All cliches besides, Casablanca is legit great. It has some laugh out loud funny lines, great acting, and I’m all about the devastatingly beautiful Ingrid.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

explosivo posted:

I've seen Overdrawn at the Memory Bank I think I have a good idea what Casablanca is about

I've seen Foodfight, so I

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Sounds like if there's one movie to see, it's Ready Player One!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

Sounds like if there's one movie to see, it's Ready Player One!

Oh man that ep is so good.

That’s always my jam with these guys: I need that exasperated hate for a truly bad movie. WLM is usually duds for me, but I’ll give some of these upcoming ones a chance.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BigglesSWE posted:

All cliches besides, Casablanca is legit great. It has some laugh out loud funny lines, great acting, and I’m all about the devastatingly beautiful Ingrid.

as a dude who normally does not care for films of the era for a variety of reasons, yeah it's worth seeing even if you've already seen it by cultural osmosis.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm watching Casablanca for the first time tonight before the episode just like I watched Citizen Kane for the first time last year before its WLM episode.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

BigglesSWE posted:

That’s always my jam with these guys: I need that exasperated hate for a truly bad movie. WLM is usually duds for me, but I’ll give some of these upcoming ones a chance.

totally awesome 80s…..

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
There was a running gag in the early episodes that Stephen had seen all these dumb garbage movies but never Casablanca. I wonder when he finally did.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

BigglesSWE posted:

It's a great episode except for the part where they read that awful poetry the author did and it's so creepy and cringy that it causes me physical pain

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

AceOfFlames posted:

Casablanca is one of those movies that has been so parodied and referenced that I don't feel the need to watch it since I am pretty sure I know 95% of the plot via osmosis.

Like Jaws, The Exorcist, and Citizen Kane, it's still 100% worth it because it's much more than the sum of its plot.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Casablanca is legit movie magic.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you’ve never watched Autofocus, mentioned on this weeks episode, check it out. It’s really good.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I saw Casablanca when Netflix was still mailing out DVDs for the 'SHAMEFUL: The greatest movies you've never seen' thread.

I wasn't expecting much but it definitely delivered.
Couldn't stop thinking of all the references and parodies I'd seen as they happened but it was definitely an appreciation of why it had such an osmosis through cartoons, tv shows and even other movies.

I abandoned that thread in this sub forum and just started watching movies on my list and catching everything else I could out of loving movies.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you’ve never watched Autofocus, mentioned on this weeks episode, check it out. It’s really good.

Sounds like a gas. I will check it out!

MariusLecter posted:

I saw Casablanca when Netflix was still mailing out DVDs for the 'SHAMEFUL: The greatest movies you've never seen' thread.

I wasn't expecting much but it definitely delivered.
Couldn't stop thinking of all the references and parodies I'd seen as they happened but it was definitely an appreciation of why it had such an osmosis through cartoons, tv shows and even other movies.

I abandoned that thread in this sub forum and just started watching movies on my list and catching everything else I could out of loving movies.

I saw Casablanca last year in an effort to mark down a few classics from my backlog. It was entertaining which was good enough for me. At the time I had been watching a few older movies and found them boring.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

feel bad for anyone who’s not on the top patreon tier, they don’t get to celebrate Greek Christmas With The Beatles

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I saw Casablanca in theaters since my local movie house as a kid was doing a top 100 films of the century countdown series of showings. It was so good, just such an absolutely perfectly movie for me that I was sure #1 would be utterly incredible.

Well, not every film can be Casablanca is what I learned

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Barudak posted:

I saw Casablanca in theaters since my local movie house as a kid was doing a top 100 films of the century countdown series of showings. It was so good, just such an absolutely perfectly movie for me that I was sure #1 would be utterly incredible.

Well, not every film can be Casablanca is what I learned

Would they have been working from the AFI list, so #1 would be Kane?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Would they have been working from the AFI list, so #1 would be Kane?

Yeppers.

Citizen Kane is fine, just like, its in large part so well regarded for its innovations so devoid of that context its a pretty meh #1 for a young kid

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Barudak posted:

Yeppers.

Citizen Kane is fine, just like, its in large part so well regarded for its innovations so devoid of that context its a pretty meh #1 for a young kid

Yeah, I remember watching Casablanca in a class in high school, and at the beginning my friends were rolling their eyes at it being an old movie, but by the end they were loving it. Whereas I watched Citizen Kane a few months ago for the first time, thought it was decent enough not knowing much about it, but then watched it again with the commentary by Ebert and understood a little more why it's so highly regarded.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I quite enjoyed that Spider-Man WLM, I kid you nooooooooooot

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Is there anything more magical than Steve saying "COME ON!"?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCFIyQKXjV8

I kid you nnnoooot

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Man, the guys really are hitting "old men yell at clouds/back in my day!" levels of cantankerous now.

I mean, I still laughed my rear end off (everything with Macho Man had me in stitches).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

I quite enjoyed that Spider-Man WLM, I kid you nooooooooooot

I loved Taken and Chairman of the Board also. I just enjoy these guys' collective sense of humor in general. Even when they're off, I still find them funny.

clown shoes posted:

Is there anything more magical than Steve saying "COME ON!"?

Also, "Oh, maaaannn..."

I like when he repeats a joke and mixes it in with his laughter. I've actually been trying to incorporate it into my speech. Not sure how to explain it, but it does something like...I dunno..."Chair...haha...men...of...heheh...the BOOOORED....?" and then fades out.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I never knew aunt may was played by jean-luc picard in a wig

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

enigmahfc posted:

Man, the guys really are hitting "old men yell at clouds/back in my day!" levels of cantankerous now.

I mean, I still laughed my rear end off (everything with Macho Man had me in stitches).

MY CONDOLENCES!!!!

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Uncle Bonesaw almost made me crash my car I started laughing so hard

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Pussy Posse adventures is my favourite bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I BROUGHT CRANBERRY SAUCE! STORE BOUGHT! BECAUSE I DON'T COOK!