Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

i suspect this is CGI. the one on the table to the lower right is what we can actually build today

they claim they're real https://www.engineeredarts.co.uk/robot/ameca/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/LaurenKGurley/status/1466519677731934208

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

haha yes yesss

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

How do I join that sick crew

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

i suspect this is CGI. the one on the table to the lower right is what we can actually build today

lexx rear end looking head seems like the future we deserve

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://twitter.com/LaurenKGurley/s...ingawful.com%2F

edit: beaten

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lomarf
https://twitter.com/kukicat7/status/1466328532250943491

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

“ Innovation doesn't seem to work in winter...”

Mods

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

hell yeah, suicide booths are here!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
reminder: any booth can be a suicide booth if you are clever and determined enough

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Whoops my fart

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

ADINSX posted:

How do I join that sick crew

have you tried being gay and doing crimes?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
uh
https://twitter.com/isabelleboemeke/status/1467897553681276931

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

got a jump cut from when mom walked in with the pizza rolls

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

FMguru posted:

reminder: any booth can be a suicide booth if you are clever and determined enough
the john wilkes kind is super effective if you're the right kind of guy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

i want to run over her with a steamroller.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

i want to run over her with a steamroller.
too fast

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/ReutersScience/status/1468283748575760390?s=20

https://twitter.com/reutersscience/status/1468284885609689089?s=21

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

how about we just seal all the current world leaders inside it instead

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sweevo posted:

how about we just seal all the current world leaders inside it instead

dont forget the billionaires

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

dont forget the billionaires

he said world leaders already?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/StreetFashion01/status/1468627992209506313?s=20

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

haveblue posted:

is the risk of counterfeiting for tie-in merch for an overhyped video game really that high

it’s not a crazy bet — the entire planet is one lovely home brand counterfeit cyberpunk knockoff

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Wait blade runner black lotus already started airing and no one here thought to tell me?

Is it any good

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Alan Smithee posted:

Wait blade runner black lotus already started airing and no one here thought to tell me?

Is it any good

its pretty good? its fairly low budget 3d anime. its very blade runner, it has all the blade runner things. replicants. flying cars. blade runners. coke signs the size of suburbs.

my issue with blade runner in terms of story is that the entire thing of it is that replicants are clearly just clones of humans with enhanced abilities and a brainwash that for some reason everyone is super cool with just treating like slaves. people treat them like robots but they aren't robots in any way, they are biologically just humans otherwise you could just run a metal detector over them instead of running an incredibly aesthetic turing test. but the story always focuses on that problem of consciousness, that people believe they aren't conscious but they do and clearly they're right because that's exactly the sort of thing that conscious beings go around doing. which is tragic, but also trivial when presented as a puzzle for the audience and the main journey the protagonist goes on.

if you're going to focus on replicants, then the shock reveal of replicants have feelings just isn't the headline. they have literally everything else a human has. the headline is replicants exist at all and, like, why. because humans have been forced to do lovely things by rich fuckos literally for the entire history of the world - only the means by which that force is applied has changed in any way. and humans are cheap as poo poo. and they're well-known. and if you need them to be stronger or faster you can use technology to augment them biologically or mechanically and you can force them to be augmented too if that's what you need for your moonbase or whatever. so its not 'do replicants feel' that is to me The Puzzle of blade runner. it's that, given humans exist and if you throw two with the right bits into a room they will replicate themselves, why the gently caress are they going to all this trouble. there's gotta be something else going on.

anyway that's the poo poo that i think about with every blade runner thing and this does that too so its very much blade runner. the music is not vangelis but what is

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I mean people dehumanize people irl so it's not that surprising that they dehumanize replicants in blade runner. could even be intentional by the creators???? :shrug:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

chaosbreather posted:

given humans exist

Do they?

The sheep are electric because the environment is too contaminated to have real sheep.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

really you should steer clear of all works and derivatives of works by pkd if you're unwilling to as a first step accept an overtly kind of dumb and internally inconsistent premise.

working out the details is for nerds really.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

Is it any good
no

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

really you should steer clear of all works and derivatives of works by pkd if you're unwilling to as a first step accept an overtly kind of dumb and internally inconsistent premise.

working out the details is for nerds really.

What?

Seriously, what?

Did you miss the bits in the book with the empathy religion for the "people", the electric sheep, the question about androids dreaming, the inaccurate tests, the colonies that don't ever really play a role, and the replicants?

Or it being written by Philip K. Dick?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

What?

Seriously, what?

Did you miss the bits in the book with the empathy religion for the "people", the electric sheep, the question about androids dreaming, the inaccurate tests, the colonies that don't ever really play a role, and the replicants?

Or it being written by Philip K. Dick?

right, all typical big picture questions about society, consciousness, the human condition. did *you* notice that the book does not dwell for more than a few words here and there on how a replicant is built, what they are made of, the economics of replicant production, etc? it just rapidly establishes that replicants are real, are regarded as emotionless machines, but that identifying them is a difficult process. which does not make a lot of sense if you pick at it, but that's why you don't pick at it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

right, all typical big picture questions about society, consciousness, the human condition. did *you* notice that the book does not dwell for more than a few words here and there on how a replicant is built, what they are made of, the economics of replicant production, etc? it just rapidly establishes that replicants are real, are regarded as emotionless machines, but that identifying them is a difficult process. which does not make a lot of sense if you pick at it, but that's why you don't pick at it.

Philip K. Dick - Do androids dream of electric sheep? Cool Robots

I'm NOT supposed to question what's real... in a Philip K. Dick book?

What a take!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

Philip K. Dick - Do androids dream of electric sheep? Cool Robots

I'm NOT supposed to question what's real... in a Philip K. Dick book?

What a take!

sure is, do you have anything to say to defend this bizarre take you appear to have suddenly invented?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

sure is, do you have anything to say to defend this bizarre take you appear to have suddenly invented?

The book?

Like, the entire book?

The point is that nobody in the book can quite tell apart replicants and humans. Except posthumously, which is all based on the say-so of a government that's clearly an unreliable narrator. And then when you dig into it, the existence of humans doesn't quite make sense either.

It's... the style of Philip K. Dick. It's present in everything he's written. He famously had some words about "reality" in his books.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

endlessmonotony posted:

Do they?

The sheep are electric because the environment is too contaminated to have real sheep.

edit: well a whole lot happened while i was writing my reply

yeah, there's other layers the film cuts for clarity (in a film-length adaptation), at least as i remember it from years ago. if i'm glossing over or wrong def correct me

one is a global human empathic experience that the people of dying earth use (the mercer box), the implications of the replicants not being able to connect, and how people view them, and vice versa, for that

another is the fear that replicants fleeing their captivity on westward-ho mars are 'taking over' earth from the remnants of humanity that can't afford or qualify to flee to mars and what that means for the remnants if society flips to a replicant-run earth

there's also the megacorp and it's role in selling both fake animal prestige symbols to earthers while selling slave labor to martians, and their actual goals with the latter

the film trims a lot of the story for cohesion since many full pkd books are a jumble of philosophic ideas, questions on the nature of reality, and mid-century scifi and trying to put all that in is nearly impossible

a scanner darkly is, imo, probably the closest someone has gotten to doing so, right down to whole scenes and dialogue taken from the book. that's likely because it was originally plain fiction, so the scifi elements that he was told to add are light and the film doesn't have to work hard to likewise add those conceits

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 10, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

The book?

Like, the entire book?

The point is that nobody in the book can quite tell apart replicants and humans. Except posthumously, which is all based on the say-so of a government that's clearly an unreliable narrator. And then when you dig into it, the existence of humans doesn't quite make sense either.

It's... the style of Philip K. Dick. It's present in everything he's written. He famously had some words about "reality" in his books.

...i have no idea how i have managed to communicate what i was saying so poorly that this is a response to any of it, but rather than make this some 30 page derail where we talk past each other i will yield the point.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Agile Vector posted:

one is a global human empathic experience that the people of dying earth use (the mercer box), the implications of the replicants not being able to connect, and how people view them, and vice versa, for that

Yeah but the very way replicants are defined is by their capacity to feel empathy, in a way that would consistently disqualify a lot of people in actual reality, right now. And in a way that should make it impossible to arrive at the reason the world is so polluted in the first place.

Almost as if the theme is the way people treat each other and what the replicants are isn't exactly the point. :monocle:

Agile Vector posted:

the film trims a lot of the story for cohesion since many full pkd books are a jumble of philosophic ideas, questions on the nature of reality, and mid-century scifi and trying to put all that in is nearly impossible

Funnily, the film is less coherent without the jumble since it only implies so many of the questions on the nature of the reality underlying (and indeed, enabling) the story. Gotta love the aesthetic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i thought that replicants started out as obvious robots everyone was fine to enslave but then nexus 6 came out and changed the game

also there are a ton of examples today about how people and governments do really batshit inefficient and unsustainable things for all kinds of stupid reasons, so it's plausible that the future is even worse. given the extreme dilapidation of the world depicted in the stories, it makes sense.

edit: I forgot that blade runner took place in 2019 :doh:

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 10, 2021