Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

[Me to my wife every 5 minutes while watching Get Back] someone should’ve turned the beatles onto the dead, that’d’ve solved all their problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Paul supposedly has a home movie made of the dead that's never been released before

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Noise Machine posted:

Paul supposedly has a home movie made of the dead that's never been released before

Huh, learn something new! Referring to this? https://relix.com/blogs/detail/happy_birthday_to_paul_mccartney_undercover_deadhead/

Also, lol:

quote:

Interestingly, for all of their overlap Weir and Macca didn’t share the stage until a 2016 show at Boston’s Fenway Park.

First, Weir koined McCartney for a performance of Wings’ “Hi hi hi,” and then, in one of music’s weirder moments (see what I did there?), McCartney, Weir and New England Patriots star Rob Gronkowski performed “Helter Skelter.”

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

[Me to my wife every 5 minutes while watching Get Back] someone should’ve turned the beatles onto the dead, that’d’ve solved all their problems

I recently saw something where Donald Fagen was talking about how Steely Dan almost went the same route the Dead did and I couldn't help but start thinking about with everything else staying as it was, what Michael McDonald's career trajectory would have looked like if the Dan had gotten real weird with it. An ironic Bruce Hornsby?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I have been playing these nonstop for the past couple days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzRitojv8K0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTiFKr4Tp2U

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Every time I see this thread bumped I wonder if someone died

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

The Billy and the Kids show from Red Rocks over the summer is on there as well:

https://youtu.be/4CIADjdBi3s

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
I got so deep into the Dead this year. I was listening to so many complete shows that I decided to start a spreadsheet to keep track. So far 77, 72 & 71 are my favourite years.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Llyr posted:

I got so deep into the Dead this year. I was listening to so many complete shows that I decided to start a spreadsheet to keep track. So far 77, 72 & 71 are my favourite years.

share some of your favorite shows plz

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best

Enjoy!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Llyr posted:

Enjoy!
Oo, thank you for this! It may sound strange but I have been getting into the Grateful Dead top down. As in, they have all these axillary elements. Blogs, many sets, personalities. Etc. The music itself is well within my circle of "drat good music in itself", but there is such a giant volume of musicians/bands in that circle so I don't feel too weird delving into the dead for other reasons then the music being good. Anyway, it might sound a bit forced or... Pretentious? But anyway!

My favourite tracks so far are: Eye of the World and Ripple. Particularly, versions of Eye of the World that are long! There is this one show where it continues into a drum session and it's *mwah"

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Lampsacus posted:

Oo, thank you for this! It may sound strange but I have been getting into the Grateful Dead top down. As in, they have all these axillary elements. Blogs, many sets, personalities. Etc. The music itself is well within my circle of "drat good music in itself", but there is such a giant volume of musicians/bands in that circle so I don't feel too weird delving into the dead for other reasons then the music being good. Anyway, it might sound a bit forced or... Pretentious? But anyway!

My favourite tracks so far are: Eye of the World and Ripple. Particularly, versions of Eye of the World that are long! There is this one show where it continues into a drum session and it's *mwah"

My favorite way to learn about the Dead as opposed to just listening is to pick one song or suite of songs and listen to a bunch of different versions throughout the years. Once I started doing that, the way I experience them changed in a big way. Depending on how you process information, it really opens up how you can understand the musicians individually. I’ve got a buddy who was into Europe 72 and that was pretty much it until I started just sending him a different version of Shakedown Street every other day for a few weeks and now he’s starting to dive deep and send me stuff I’ve never heard.

It still astonishes me at times how interesting the Dead is. They put out such an incredible volume of music for everyone to hear and had these huge episodes of creativity and innovation that truly made them the quintessential American Band and a really important force in the progression of modern music.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

My favorite way to learn about the Dead as opposed to just listening is to pick one song or suite of songs and listen to a bunch of different versions throughout the years. Once I started doing that, the way I experience them changed in a big way. Depending on how you process information, it really opens up how you can understand the musicians individually. I’ve got a buddy who was into Europe 72 and that was pretty much it until I started just sending him a different version of Shakedown Street every other day for a few weeks and now he’s starting to dive deep and send me stuff I’ve never heard.

It still astonishes me at times how interesting the Dead is. They put out such an incredible volume of music for everyone to hear and had these huge episodes of creativity and innovation that truly made them the quintessential American Band and a really important force in the progression of modern music.

They also had periods where they were sort of a ho-hum San Fran psych rock band, and periods where they were a pretty competent but not groundbreaking country rock band. They were a driving force in acceptance of front men wearing short shorts and/or very large sweat shorts, I’ll give you that. A pioneering shorts band. And spending a long time tuning up between songs. They did that better than anyone.

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
Can anyone identify the show that this version of Truckin is from? I can't find any info. Sounds to me like maybe 70' or '71

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZzff-W-EPg

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Llyr posted:

Can anyone identify the show that this version of Truckin is from? I can't find any info. Sounds to me like maybe 70' or '71

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZzff-W-EPg

Fox Theatre 1971-12-10

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 11, 2022

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE ...

For the vinyl dead heads, this is dropping on RSD.

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/14602

That version of "Dark Star" hits hard for me so I will probably have to find this monster.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 18, 2022

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I think I'm gonna listen to the entire Europe 72 tour as close to the actual anniversary dates as I can for the 50th this year, anyone else interested?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sounds fun, Im in!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Noise Machine posted:

I think I'm gonna listen to the entire Europe 72 tour as close to the actual anniversary dates as I can for the 50th this year, anyone else interested?

lets do it. I was going to do the same with 82 but your idea sounds better.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I’d do that too

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

gently caress yeah.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe_%2772:_The_Complete_Recordings#Europe_%2772,_Vol._22:_Lyceum_Theatre,_London,_England_(5/26/1972)

Cool yep, do you mean these recordings? I'm new to de dead. So starting on the 7th of March '22? :)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Lampsacus posted:

Cool yep, do you mean these recordings? I'm new to de dead. So starting on the 7th of March '22? :)

The tapes of that one on Relisten are horrible. This might be more painful than I thought

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Since I brought this back to life for a few, please entertain my idle curiosity.

For you lot, what's the ratio of live shows versus studio records that you usually listen to? I have Aoxomoxoa and Workingman's Dead on vinyl and I'll spin those every so often on a Sunday afternoon but I 99% of the time I gravitate to the live sets I've found that really hit for me. Typically that's the peak 70's era, and I usually top out around '78 with that Winterland show. Even that starts to grate toward the end. I have yet to venture into the 80's.

Do you hit the studio catalog on the regular, or is it just the live shows that you find to your liking that you keep bookmarked?

I made a Pandora station that had Grateful Dead in the algorithm and it feeds me a healthy mix of live dead, studio dead, and Jerry Garcia. The Garcia solo stuff I can take or leave (but holy poo poo he did "box of rain" a LOT) but the studio dead is just kinda there for me, especially the late era stuff. There is a Garcia/Merle Saunders live thing that I absolutely love, but that's it.

Pointers or suggestions? Good entry point for 80's dead?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Any more, I only listen to live stuff (including Europe 72 and Steal Your Face albums) with the exception of Terrapin Station on vinyl and Blues for Allah. Studio stuff just doesn’t really do it for me now.

I’m only partly embarrassed to say I’ve listened to more Billy Strings doing Dead stuff than actual Dead in the past couple months.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Any more, I only listen to live stuff (including Europe 72 and Steal Your Face albums) with the exception of Terrapin Station on vinyl and Blues for Allah. Studio stuff just doesn’t really do it for me now.

I’m only partly embarrassed to say I’ve listened to more Billy Strings doing Dead stuff than actual Dead in the past couple months.

I'm not familiar with Billy Strings. My go to "do I like this" is Spotify and he's only got studio stuff. I see nothing Dead related. :(

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

hatelull posted:

I'm not familiar with Billy Strings. My go to "do I like this" is Spotify and he's only got studio stuff. I see nothing Dead related. :(

I’ve posted a bunch of his stuff in this thread and in the country music thread recently, so if you search my posts you’ll come across a bit of live stuff. His latest album is great but youtube has got a lot of live shows.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

hatelull posted:

Here's some playlists of Billy doing dead stuff from upthread a bit. Thanks for sharing btw OP, those were great listens.

I'm mainly listening to whatever the XM Dead station is playing if I'm in my car and at home I'll often find a random full show video on YouTube and throw it on the TV while I'm doing whatever around the house. While the eras of the band are certainly distinct I like it all. I probably like the 70's sound the best but there were some really fun covers they did with Brent singing further into the eighties like Dear Mr Fantasy and Hey Pocky Way that I love.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

hatelull posted:

Since I brought this back to life for a few, please entertain my idle curiosity.

I’d guess I listen to live stuff about 2-3x more often than studio. Mostly dick’s picks from the 60s til ~78, every now and then an 80s show, almost never a 90s show.

I like some or all of their albums from the 70s, and also like their s/t a lot.

JGB has some great shows, I think the “after midnight” Kean college show is a good entry point. Always love to hear JGB do some jimmy Cliff covers and also catfish John

Also a big fan of Jerry’s various acoustic side projects, like JGAB and Old and in the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xQD_GDU8s0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsLcqfDG2KE

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hell yeah, Jerry’s folk and bluegrass stuff is great. I’m partial to anything involving Grisman. Them two had a chemistry.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Noise Machine posted:

That sounds like a fun as hell idea.

hatelull posted:

The best area of Grateful Dead music is from 1965 - 1995. :clint:

I personally listen to mostly the live stuff now. Years ago when I first listened to the studio albums I was overwhelmed with the whole live catalog and didn't really pursue listening to it (wasn't in the right headspace too).

Lately when I'm listening solo I stick to the officially released stuff since there's so much of it that I haven't heard. If I'm looking more for the visual experience I watch one of the great video remasters done by Christopher Hazard on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ChristopherHazard

I'm also part of a small discord community that has listen parties together three nights a week. The party host picks a show on archive.org and we sync listen to it. Its a fun way to get some neat insights into unique shows and all sorts of random knowledge from the old heads willing to share. Anyone can PM me for more info if it's something you're interested in.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Occasionally I'll run though the albums but if I want to hear a song most of the definitive versions are live anyway.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I listened to American beauty last week and it’s very nice. Also, the absolute best help/slip/Franklins is the studio version. It’s usually sloppy one way or another live.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

I listened to American beauty last week and it’s very nice. Also, the absolute best help/slip/Franklins is the studio version. It’s usually sloppy one way or another live.

AB is a wonderful album, imo by far their best. Re-posting this clip of Hunter talking about some inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhlVEH5r06A&t=53s

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

AB is a wonderful album, imo by far their best. Re-posting this clip of Hunter talking about some inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhlVEH5r06A&t=53s

gently caress I knew it was "Would Those days will come again, they will, but not for me" without clicking on it

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The complete Europe boxset is available on streaming services for those who have them. As are all of Dick's Picks (but not Dave's Picks).

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The streaming services also have a version of dicks picks that's all the shows in release order in one "album" if you're a true madman

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Arms_Akimbo posted:

The streaming services also have a version of dicks picks that's all the shows in release order in one "album" if you're a true madman

There's a Spotify playlist that puts them in chronological order too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And a podcast on spotify of people listening and talking about the Dick's Picks in order too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

The complete Europe boxset is available on streaming services for those who have them. As are all of Dick's Picks (but not Dave's Picks).

Why is Dave's stuff not on that? I've seen some of those set's mentioned here, but haven't never been able to listen to them and I'm not really into streaming youtube.