Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Famethrowa posted:

I saw the movie in theatres twice and couldn't understand the tent scene so it's a legit problem of the movie

I think the bigger problem with the tent scene was the laffo desert battle, the completely jaring 2008-Iron Man 1 era cgi on his face at the end of it, and the fact that his vision of a jihad is like... two dozen dudes fighting another two dozen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yup, I saw it in the cinema.

The audio was a million times better than Tenet but it still had its Nolan\Zimmer clashy moments.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The witch lady was super hot

thats my review

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Well yeah, she's in a desert.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

I just watched this film and I am very happy it got made, and I love it very much. This movie does not give two shits about the audience: its attention span, introducing any backstory except in a most obvious "you are dumb, ugh okay, here's a line spoken off-screen by a computer for you you dumb movie watcher, now let's continue the movie", and certainly doesn't even care if the audience can actually hear the dialogue being spoken at all (desert is loud lmao).

The film is mainly concerned with conjuring up the most otherworldly and impressive visuals while loving blasting your ear out with atmospheric brass at 125db until you are deaf.
The only way to improve it would be to take away the post-edit explanatory dialogue and cut the (luckily few) scenes where actors explain the backstory to us, add some more confusing visions by Paul, and then also start the movie with: "If you don't get this, gently caress you" as an overlay.
But it is Hollywood, so I feel blessed they went as far as they did.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Agreed.
Also I would be content if the movie consisted entirely of Atreides ships floating around, blasting their doom horns.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dreams are messages from the get hosed, peons, this is a film about silent stares

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

Agreed.
Also I would be content if the movie consisted entirely of Atreides ships floating around, blasting their doom horns.

They're called bagpipes

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 6, 2021

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Adhesion posted:

This but (mostly) unironically. Dialogue intelligibility is a pretty big problem in movies nowadays, and there are a lot of factors that go into why, but it really doesn't make sense to tailor your audio mix for the theater and the theater only when so many people are watching at home. https://www.slashfilm.com/673162/he...e=pocket-newtab

Yeah, the Car Stereo Test needs to be a thing for film audio as well. (Also some equivalent for visuals in film/TV so nothing like the Battle of Winterfell is ever allowed to happen again.) It's good when people can see and hear things unless you really need to obscure something.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, the Car Stereo Test needs to be a thing for film audio as well. (Also some equivalent for visuals in film/TV so nothing like the Battle of Winterfell is ever allowed to happen again.) It's good when people can see and hear things unless you really need to obscure something.

We used to watch movies on third generation copies of VHS transfers with our crappy analog TV, and the picture was so bad it was like listening to the radio. It's really disappointing to have the same experience on with DVD on a high-definition TV.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

jeeves posted:

I think the bigger problem with the tent scene was the laffo desert battle, the completely jaring 2008-Iron Man 1 era cgi on his face at the end of it, and the fact that his vision of a jihad is like... two dozen dudes fighting another two dozen

A jihad that spreads across the entire universe starts in a local sand pit.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

If this had been a Nolan movie, the filmbook would have been merged into Kynes as an exposition machine and it would work on Dunkirk time, showing the long-term scheme of the Harkonnens and the short-term Atreides stay on Arrakis, merging at the reveal of Yueh as a traitor. It would probably still have Hans Zimmer

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This movie kept me the gently caress in my seat. Goddamn, that's a big screen experience.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Dune has always been wierd as hell and obtuse and none of the characters in the book are relatable or likeable. it's called science fiction, not science reality.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

The witch lady was super hot

thats my review

agreed, charlotte rampling is a fox

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I saw Dune a second time, in IMAX, after watching it on TV at first. Would've seen in theaters to begin with but I didn't think it would be as good as it was. Absolutely worth it, this movie is made for the big screen. Was not bored seeing it two times, and I almost never do repeat viewings of anything, even movies I like.

Thinking about who should play the Emperor in part 2. Somebody mentioned Mads Mikkelson which would be a great choice, but how about this - Anthony Starr from The Boys. He'd look great with red hair too, which he does in the book.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Seems like the role jared leto was born to play

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if it's him, he was in Blade Runner after all. Leto would've been the *ideal* Feyd Rautha 20 years ago. I think you could do better for the role of Emperor of the Known Universe, but not a bad pick and certainly one he'd relish given what we know about what Jared Leto thinks of himself

Reminds me, this is a great podcast episode about Jared Leto's self directed 30 seconds to Mars documentary, for all you Leto heads out there:
https://soundcloud.com/and-intro-pod/104-30-seconds-to-mars-ft-indieheads-pod

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

No Mods No Masters posted:

Too confusing!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

sebmojo posted:

Dreams are messages from the get hosed, peons, this is a film about silent stares

Dreams are actually a message from the eyar one nine nine nine. This is happening right now.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Actually I kind of think NPH would do a good job as the emperor, especially in his smug gone girl mode.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
I think the world needs less Jared Leto so I nominate Idris Elba again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lUaYnlaW0A

david_a posted:

I dunno. The recut looks terrible since it’s SD at best and degraded tape at worst, but on the other hand the theatrical is easier to swallow when you can mentally fill in the missing pieces.
There's a 4K upscaling of it that looks pretty good because the upscaling ameliorates the youtube compression algorithm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faHQA_0d9Mo

H13 posted:

I agree, imagine if Zack Snyder tried to do Dune? Christ.
Even more mumbly voiced dialogue delivered in a desolate desert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc-TZRZEXWE

jeeves posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDKlToU4R_0

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 6, 2021

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

feel like the emperor's actor should have the chops to be able to pull off powerful, incompetent, and panicky simultaneously. John hurt would have been perfect

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Emperor isn't incompetent, everything goes according to plan for him until he's blindsided by the appearance of Space Jesus. His flaw is that his jealousy of Leto's popularity means that he doesn't take the obviously correct action of marrying Paul to one of his daughters and instead uses the Harkonnen.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Idris Elba will be the Emperor.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I think Elba would play the role too wooden, like he's in the Eternals or something. Has he played many villains? I can't think of any and I don't think he'd be that believable as one. The actor needs to just ooze arrogance.

Of course, none of this matters that much because as signifcant as the role is to the story, if Villenueve follows the book the emperor will have about seven minutes of screentime

edit: comedy option (but would genuinely be cool to see): Keanu Reeves

Ramrod Hotshot fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 6, 2021

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I know he's dead, but I vote Pat Morita for Emperor.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

just give it to Donald Trump

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I think Elba would play the role too wooden, like he's in the Eternals or something. Has he played many villains?
Not many but he's great in The Harder They Fall

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

jeeves posted:

I'm convinced that poo poo was last minute studio notes or something. It looked great until suddenly the face. Utterly bizarre.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I think Elba would play the role too wooden, like he's in the Eternals or something. Has he played many villains? I can't think of any and I don't think he'd be that believable as one. The actor needs to just ooze arrogance.

I would say that his best ever role by a huge margin, the one that put him on the map, is a villainous one.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Idris Elba plays an incredible villian in Beasts of No Nation.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I would say that his best ever role by a huge margin, the one that put him on the map, is a villainous one.

Yeah, I was gonna say.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Of course, none of this matters that much because as signifcant as the role is to the story, if Villenueve follows the book the emperor will have about seven minutes of screentime

edit: comedy option (but would genuinely be cool to see): Keanu Reeves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaOmJiVg_ew

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Stringer is a scheming villain even, albeit with the tragic flaw that he sometimes decides to just up and tell people he had their nephew murdered

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Baron is you taking notes on a galactic fuckin conspiracy?!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I'm not married to Elba playing the Emperor or anything. I'd watch him play Little Orphan Annie cause he's a very, very good actor, but it's not like a hill I'd choose to die or anything.

But someone saying that the dude who played the iconic role of Russel "Stringer" MotherFucking Bell can't do evil, scheming, arrogant but also deeply likable and charismatic... Wow. Uh that, sure is a take you can try to have there, buddy. Go on and give that a heft.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Is the emperor supposed to be deeply likable and charismatic? I always thought of him as aloof, equal parts brilliant and barely hiding incompetence, vain but unsettling. I think Dali would have been great, and I think Bowie would have been interesting if he was basically doing "Baal took a shower and put on some nice clothes." I think someone with real screen presence is a must, but it kind of specifically has to be slightly uncomfortable to the viewer. Your eyes are drawn to them but you don't necessarily like what you see.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

Is the emperor supposed to be deeply likable and charismatic? I always thought of him as aloof, equal parts brilliant and barely hiding incompetence, vain but unsettling. I think Dali would have been great, and I think Bowie would have been interesting if he was basically doing "Baal took a shower and put on some nice clothes." I think someone with real screen presence is a must, but it kind of specifically has to be slightly uncomfortable to the viewer. Your eyes are drawn to them but you don't necessarily like what you see.

I half-jokingly mentioned the guy who played Xerxes in 300 earlier in the thread as a suggestion. While that movie, and that portrayal, has aged like milk I think that is still the vibe that you should shoot for with the Padishah Emperor.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

aloof, equal parts brilliant and barely hiding incompetence, vain but unsettling.

It should be the guy who played Apophis in SG-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Baron von Eevl posted:

A few posts up someone mentioned Antony Starr, Homelander in The Boys. Dial back the overt insanity and mute the color palette, and he'd barely have to change costume.