Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

mystes posted:

Thank you, BSD posts definitely deserve their own thread, so you have done a public service.

you're supposed to keep telling everybody to move the bsd discussion to the bsd thread while quietly laughing to yourself that there isn't enough interest in bsd to sustain a bsd thread

much like there isn't enough interest in bsd to sustain bsd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

you're supposed to keep telling everybody to move the bsd discussion to the bsd thread while quietly laughing to yourself that there isn't enough interest in bsd to sustain a bsd thread

much like there isn't enough interest in bsd to sustain bsd

I’ve never met anyone irl who uses bsd

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

akadajet posted:

I’ve never met anyone irl who uses bsd

BSD users are smart enough to avoid this IRL. GNU/Linux users are dying to have you know

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

gnu people are the pushy vegans of the open source world

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

lol. oh no, everyone is a vegan in the framework of your metaphor. this is awful

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have met like 3 BSD daily drivers in my life and they were all enormous dweebs

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
everybody with a Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Apple Watch, or iPod touch is daily-driving BSD

eschaton fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 5, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

cisco may dominate in the enterprise space but pretty much every service provider runs on Juniper gear, and JunOS is a FreeBSD derivative. BSD runs the world

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bsd thread is thataway buddy, time to stop leeching off linux's success and popularity and find your own way

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

spankmeister posted:

I have met like 3 BSD daily drivers in my life and they were all enormous dweebs who wouldn't shut up about Linux

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

eschaton posted:

everybody with a Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Apple Watch, or iPod touch is daily-driving BSD

spankmeister posted:

I have met like 3 BSD daily drivers in my life and they were all enormous dweebs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
bsd is a linux

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

🅱️inux

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

nah vegans are thin

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Watching mr Linus daily drive - virtualbox on windows also doesn't tell you whether you've enabled hardware virtualization.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I don't understand... one of them picked a distro geared towards ease of use, and the other didn't, and now one of them is having problems and the other isn't. What gives?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

All of us are eating at the troth set out by the Regents of the University of California, who are appointed for 12-year terms by the Governor of California. This governor is elected by the people in the world’s largest direct democracy. BSD is owned by the people. Linux is owned by someone in Finland and its chief contributor is noted Holocaust profiteer IBM.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Captain Foo posted:

🅱️inux

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I don't understand... one of them picked a distro geared towards ease of use, and the other didn't, and now one of them is having problems and the other isn't. What gives?

linus should stop being a noob imo

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

All of us are eating at the troth set out by the Regents of the University of California, who are appointed for 12-year terms by the Governor of California. This governor is elected by the people in the world’s largest direct democracy. BSD is owned by the people. Linux is owned by someone in Finland and its chief contributor is noted Holocaust profiteer IBM.

i'll take any random nordic person over american democracy

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Perplx posted:

i'll take any random nordic person over american democracy

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

mawarannahr posted:

someone in Finland

Torvalds has been living in the US since 1997.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ocean of Milk posted:

Torvalds has been living in the US since 1997.

lol if you don’t know about the real one who holds power, who is still in Finland

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

SYSV Fanfic posted:

he used pop os before which deleted the desktop environment when he tried to install steam.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Generic Monk posted:

he used pop os before which deleted the desktop environment when he tried to install steam.

quote:

Pop!_OS is an operating system for STEM

Yup, nothing screams ease of use like being made for STEM.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

vs

See, you could have an OS that works out of the box, or you could have an OS that seems to think you have a lot of curiousity....

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Aren't they both just Ubuntu derivatives?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Antigravitas posted:

yes

hence why they are bad

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
the Linux kernel is a small part of what makes a Linux

copypasta GNU slash Linux or as I've taken to calling it GNU plus Linux

Most of the recognizable bits are owned by the FSF and IBM. Strange bedfellows boys.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Poopernickel posted:

the Linux kernel is a small part of what makes a Linux

copypasta GNU slash Linux or as I've taken to calling it GNU plus Linux

Vintersorg posted:

looks like an animal turd wow

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Antigravitas posted:

The desktop environment is the key part of providing the user experience. Mint has it's own desktop environment that integrates really well with the rest of the OS. It's control panel and file manager does what it's supposed to do, it's selection of default apps do what they are supposed to do, and if anything breaks it has a massive user base that will offer up a smorgasboard of patches for the maintainers to chose from.

Pop's maintainers have to triage and prioritize integrating from upstream and they are going to make mistakes. No idea what their UI is like b/c you can get a 100% linux compatible laptop by buying something with intel everything and a little research.

Even the distro that Linus moved to (I think he said manjaro) doesn't have the volunteer base of kubuntu or debian. IDK if he just missed the notification b/c of his gonzo monitor but when I zip a file on debian/kde I definitely get a notification and the tracker appears in the system notification area.

It takes an immense amount of man hours to take the raw slop of individual components and put them all together into a usable environment. If you don't have them to do it, the drywall seams are gonna show.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 6, 2021

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
just use olvwm on plain X11 and eschew the “desktop environment”

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

linux

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Linux: ITT we compute like it's 1995

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

it's good folks

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

oh hells yes!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SYSV Fanfic posted:

vs

See, you could have an OS that works out of the box, or you could have an OS that seems to think you have a lot of curiousity....

maybe he misread stem as steam. ez to do

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Linus should download red star next

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

SYSV Fanfic posted:

IDK if he just missed the notification b/c of his gonzo monitor but when I zip a file on debian/kde I definitely get a notification and the tracker appears in the system notification area.

He did, he even talks about how he missed the notification in the video.

That's also why he thought he was done moving his 4gb file in 3 seconds to his thumbstick, he just wasn't looking at the notification area. I don't get why he thought that moving a 4gb file to a thumbstick would just take a couple of seconds however... but I guess that's Linus being Linus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
contrary to popular belief but bsd is in fact cool and good