Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I would say that his best ever role by a huge margin, the one that put him on the map, is a villainous one.
Geez I wasn't that into Cats, but you do you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sir Ben Kingsley?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Martman posted:

Geez I wasn't that into Cats, but you do you

Cats ruled and if they get far enough adapting the series they should use that technology to depict Leto II

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Tom Cruise as Emperor

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The actor needs to just ooze arrogance.

Someone already posted this ages ago, as a Foundation joke, but Lee Pace would unironically be perfect

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the bagpipes in this movie are so good

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm not married to Elba playing the Emperor or anything. I'd watch him play Little Orphan Annie cause he's a very, very good actor, but it's not like a hill I'd choose to die or anything.

But someone saying that the dude who played the iconic role of Russel "Stringer" MotherFucking Bell can't do evil, scheming, arrogant but also deeply likable and charismatic... Wow. Uh that, sure is a take you can try to have there, buddy. Go on and give that a heft.

It's been a long time since I've seen the wire, but my main takeaway of Stringer Bell is that he aspired to make drug dealing as mundane as an office job, with himself as a legitimate businessman who happens to sell drugs. But not a sociopath by any means. Maybe it's that Idris Elba just doesn't seem to me as cold as the Emperor needs to be.

Wafflecopper posted:

Someone already posted this ages ago, as a Foundation joke, but Lee Pace would unironically be perfect

Too much Galactic Emperor, but absolutely, yeah.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Baron is you taking notes on a galactic fuckin conspiracy?!

lmao

Ramrod Hotshot fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 7, 2021

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

One thing why this movie works on big screen is that the soundtrack and sound design are really good.

And by good, I mean it is exactly on point for the "big weird machine doing thing" scene. In fact, I now believe it is a crucial part that makes the detached, almost alien atmosphere of the movie, beyond just the visuals and directing. As discussed previously, this is really the key achievement of the movie and the only thing that actually matters. I mean, I was shocked that it's a Hans Zimmer soundtrack, but I guess it makes sense. It has some weak parts as well if you listen to it on Spotify etc., but those pieces are mostly in scenes that don't matter (those with "human" "interaction" or "dialogue" and "story" and all that junk). This is also why it doesn't matter that the sound is mixed such that dialogue is sometimes not understandable on a 2-speaker setup. For this movie, accurately playing the 120db bass farts is more important.

So: The movie is dope as gently caress on big screen not just because of the screen. Instead, you also need some way to reproduce the sound, which in terms of bass and soundscape is absolutely crucial to making this movie work. In fact, I watched it on my laptop (but close to my ugly stupid face to be fair), but with (really) good headphones. No, I didn't understand the dialogue for the most parts, but I had a boner pretty much the whole way through.
So if you watch this with your 200$ soundbar or with the sound on your TV or laptop or whatever, chances are you dislike the movie. But this is your fault, for not getting what the movie is supposed to do, and for being a terrible human being, of course.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Too much Galactic Emperor

never enough

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The more I think about it the more convinced I am that we're going to end up with Jared Leto or like Cumberbatch or maybe Johnny Depp as the emperor. I'd be happy to be wrong about this and for DV to pick someone a little more left field like John Tuturro or someone.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Get Karl Urban and put him in the same costume that he had in Riddick. Including the hairstyle. :colbert:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Keanu Reeves for emperor as he's supposed to be like 70 and look 35

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Perestroika posted:

Get Karl Urban and put him in the same costume that he had in Riddick. Including the hairstyle. :colbert:

I still lol that they had just enough money to get Urban back briefly for the third Riddick movie but not enough for him to get that haircut again.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Wow I had no idea there was a third Riddick movie made, was it any good? I mean in comparison to the first two.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

Wow I had no idea there was a third Riddick movie made, was it any good? I mean in comparison to the first two.

It's just called Riddick and is from 2013, it...isn't great but the first act is cool, then it just sort if meanders and rehashes some stuff from Pitch Black. So a must watch if you enjoyed the previous two movies. Kind of a waste of potential and good cast.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm gonna take the fact that I never heard of it as a sign to not make it a priority

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The third one tries to split the difference between the first and the second films and mostly succeeds.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

2house2fly posted:

I'm gonna take the fact that I never heard of it as a sign to not make it a priority
I will watch any science fiction no matter how bad

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The third one tries to split the difference between the first and the second films and mostly succeeds.

I'm not going to oversell the quality and writing, but you'd be making a mistake to not watch it if you enjoyed the previous films at all. The third one tries to regroup and reboot a bit. And the Director's Cut sets up a little something for a fourth film if Vin and Karl ever get their act together.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This I actually did like about it a lot, I still hope a 4th one happens that picks up where the director's cut left off.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
NECROmongers

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It's been a long time since I've seen the wire, but my main takeaway of Stringer Bell is that he aspired to make drug dealing as mundane as an office job, with himself as a legitimate businessman who happens to sell drugs. But not a sociopath by any means. Maybe it's that Idris Elba just doesn't seem to me as cold as the Emperor needs to be.

He has a bunch of people killed to protect that very mundane thing. Killing and violence isn't his interest, but he's perfectly happy to use it as a means to an end. Which is, arguably, more sociopathic than just getting off on the adrenaline of it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Is the emperor supposed to be deeply likable and charismatic? I always thought of him as aloof, equal parts brilliant and barely hiding incompetence, vain but unsettling. I think Dali would have been great, and I think Bowie would have been interesting if he was basically doing "Baal took a shower and put on some nice clothes." I think someone with real screen presence is a must, but it kind of specifically has to be slightly uncomfortable to the viewer. Your eyes are drawn to them but you don't necessarily like what you see.

Jack Black

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Snowman_McK posted:

He has a bunch of people killed to protect that very mundane thing. Killing and violence isn't his interest, but he's perfectly happy to use it as a means to an end. Which is, arguably, more sociopathic than just getting off on the adrenaline of it.

He called a hit on his best friend iirc

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's been way too long since I watched it, but I think he just called the cops on him

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

2house2fly posted:

It's been way too long since I watched it, but I think he just called the cops on him

Same thing

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

2house2fly posted:

oh yeah it was the other way round.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Less Fat Luke posted:

I will watch any science fiction no matter how bad

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

There's a hundreds of years breeding program right? Just have Stellan Skarsgård play the Emperor too and no on acknowledge any similarity. He's in a fat suit/etc. as the Baron anyway.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 8, 2021

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Quick question: did anyone say the word "melange" at all in the film? I don't remember hearing it.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

There's a hundreds of years breeding program right? Just have Stellan Skarsgård play the Emperor too and no on acknowledge any similarity. He's in a fat suit/etc. as the Baron anyway.

Corollary to this, have Chalamet play Feyd and never mention it.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Rabelais D posted:

Quick question: did anyone say the word "melange" at all in the film? I don't remember hearing it.

Doesn't the little inforeel Paul watches at the beginning mention that it's an alternate name for spice?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Stringer Bell put out a hit on a twelve year old and didn't think twice about it. He was cold as hell.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Patrick Spens posted:

Stringer Bell put out a hit on a twelve year old and didn't think twice about it. He was cold as hell.

He also tried to kill Omar after church while he was with his mother. And had Brandon tortured to death. And was responsible for the deaths of witnesses, including ones who recanted.

Goddamn he's a monster. Just goes to show the effect it has on a character for them to be played by someone as sexy as Idris Elba, the real life Barbados Slim.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Also he ordered a hit on a state senator which although to be fair if you know any state senators this might be considered a good deed.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Stringer was just trying to be the best capitalist he could be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Back on Dune movie topic, read elsewhere an interesting take on the movie's version of the Baron: His use of the antigravity implants combined with a massive robe that touches the floor even when he's near the ceiling makes him able to project a massive presence- and look a little like a sandworm himself. As well as foreshadowing the fate of his great-grandson, it seems to more readily symbolise the power he represents over Arrakis to the point of resembling its most important inhabitants.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
After a bit of a break, I continued reading the novel, and this part reminded me of an earlier discussion regarding the politicizing and a whole bunch of "why don't they just"s:

The Count is sent by the Emperor. So basically, despite working together to get rid of the Atreides, they are both well aware that what they did should not come to the attention of the other Houses. And they keep reminding each other that they have about three steps of contigency plans in case one of them decides to use this secret knowledge to his advantage.

Basically, from just the text of the movie, you can always speculate one step further regarding who might do what and reveal which secret and how that might be received, denied, countered, retaliated etc. - and you'd always be correct. Everything in Dune relies on a very, very tenuous balance of power, with every House amongst themselves and also the Emperor being in a constant standoff. The threat of House Atomics that are taboo to use but still everybody keeps them is just one facet of this. Ultimately, it works (so far!) because nobody has an interest in being the one to tip the balance, because best case you'd be instantly obliterated, worst case the entire system burns down (but still you first).

Removing the Atreides is a tip of that balance, but it required two factions that are nominally opposed to work together, which - see above - hasn't been easy for either of them, and ultimately only created more issues for them to try and keep contained. They just figured that keeping the Atreides around would be an even greater issue.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

gently caress it, just go full circle and have Brad Dourif play the emperor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Go fuller circle and get Jürgen Prochnow