Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
I mean it's one file, Michael. What could it take to transfer it, 10 seconds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

AlbertFlasher posted:

contrary to popular belief but bsd is in fact cool and good

BSD is just for people that thinks Linux is too mainstream

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
lol it's true

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kamrat posted:

BSD is just for people that thinks Linux is too mainstream
what does that make Illumos?

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

what does that make Illumos?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ocean of Milk posted:

I mean it's one file, Michael. What could it take to transfer it, 10 seconds?

the fastest drives should almost do that

mystes
May 31, 2006

AlbertFlasher posted:

contrary to popular belief but bsd is in fact cool and good
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986916

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I use zoom for work and its support for linux sucks so hard

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

RokosCockatrice posted:

I use zoom for work and it sucks so hard

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Kamrat posted:

He did, he even talks about how he missed the notification in the video.

That's also why he thought he was done moving his 4gb file in 3 seconds to his thumbstick, he just wasn't looking at the notification area. I don't get why he thought that moving a 4gb file to a thumbstick would just take a couple of seconds however... but I guess that's Linus being Linus.

Good pointing that out. Lifes too short to watch entire videos of hubristic key banging.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I know

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!

RokosCockatrice posted:

I use zoom for work and its support for linux sucks so hard

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
my problem with ECS is that inevitability you have to reinvent a bunch of poo poo that comes out of the box; or are well supported community poo poo that a million guides and good documentation exists to use.

I’d rather run K8s then build a bunch of internal tooling to replicate that. which every sufficiently advanced ECS team tends to end up having.

if you really hate K8s that much; the real hipster alternative to K8s is Nomad, way simpler and solves a bunch of the stuff K8s did with better tooling like consul and vault.

AWS’s NIH and whole lovely disbelief that folks wanted K8s over ECS was pretty great to hear as a customer for years though. they are now repeating it by reinventing a bunch of stuff for EKS, instead of putting it in the community projects.

also K8s ain’t for everyone; lots of places don’t need it. but ootb it tries to improve your life by solving poo poo like disk filling up or services OOMing

Edit: also if your listening AWS; trash fargate and lambda and just copy cloudrun

Why do I need an ECS or EKS api with a bunch of drawbacks, or why am I doing hacky poo poo after a total rewrite to trick the AWS api into not exiting my lambda.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 9, 2021

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Idk if the oom killer reaping your pod counts as solving a problem. but at least it’s replacing a bad problem with a different, arguably less bad problem

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i installed the latest ubuntu and when i fullscreen a video in firefox and unfullscreen it it changes the window geometry to fill the screen ftw lol. clean install. wtf is happening

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Idk if the oom killer reaping your pod counts as solving a problem. but at least it’s replacing a bad problem with a different, arguably less bad problem

OOM killer is not a super great example fair. it speaks to why I like K8s though:

the killer feature for me is that I can now manage a bunch of apps easily with some guardrails built in, when the other option is a huge pile of chef ansible or puppet which is bespoke and full of insanity. or god forbid a bunch of salt.

tbh I see K8s as more of a config management replacement then anything else.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

mycophobia posted:

i installed the latest ubuntu and when i fullscreen a video in firefox and unfullscreen it it changes the window geometry to fill the screen ftw lol. clean install. wtf is happening

Yes, but does your sound work

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
is fedora good. as far as linuxes go

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

mycophobia posted:

it's a good linux but not very stable

props to Fedora for making Wayland the default though, now people like you can test it out for display bugs

also you can test btrfs for filesystem bugs

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 9, 2021

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
hmm. i do like stability. id keep using debian stable but i got scared by some article saying that its firefox is old as gently caress and has bad security vulnerabilities

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

mycophobia posted:

hmm. i do like stability. id keep using debian stable but i got scared by some article saying that its firefox is old as gently caress and has bad security vulnerabilities

Use backports

https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Doesn't firefox ESR still get the security patches?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Buck Turgidson posted:

Doesn't firefox ESR still get the security patches?

Not directly from mozilla - but yes, and why iceweasel was retired

https://wiki.debian.org/Firefox

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mycophobia posted:

it's needs suiting for me op

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
idk i read this today and it kind of made me want to look into alternatives. but i also just wanted to see what else was out there because ive been on debian for a few years lol.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Web-Browser-Packages-Debian

but i might just go back gently caress it who cares.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Debian testing is fine, fedora is also fine

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
ok i will install fedora tomorrow and report back. good night

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ah, the web browser not allowed within 500 feet of schools

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

mycophobia posted:

idk i read this today and it kind of made me want to look into alternatives. but i also just wanted to see what else was out there because ive been on debian for a few years lol.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Web-Browser-Packages-Debian

but i might just go back gently caress it who cares.

If you know or care about the debian way of doing things and want the latest packages, sid is fine for desktop use. They've added warnings if apt is going to do something devastating to your install. Then all you have to do is install firefox and it will track upstream almost exactly.

FYI usually only the most devastating bugs/vulnerabilities get patched in stable. It's really not the greatest for a desktop user. Intel/AMD semi-regularly push commits to the kernel for 6+ year old hardware that improve performance and battery life, there is an ongoing renaissance in video drivers, not to mention you're missing every feature added to your software since the feature freeze.

Here's the buglist:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2021-53/

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Fedora is great just make sure you enable rpm fusion repos and on the greeter select x11. Wayland might be alright for and GPUs but boy howdy is it still terrible for nvidia.

Why is windowing so complicated

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
it's weird how "unstable" has such different meanings for Linux and Windows

for Windows, unstable means "might crash randomly for no reason"

for Linux, unstable means "updates will break your poo poo constantly"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

freeasinbeer posted:

if you really hate K8s that much; the real hipster alternative to K8s is Nomad, way simpler and solves a bunch of the stuff K8s did with better tooling like consul and vault.
A neat thing is that nomad is also fairly platform agnostic

Poopernickel posted:

it's weird how "unstable" has such different meanings for Linux and Windows

for Windows, unstable means "might crash randomly for no reason"

for Linux, unstable means "updates will break your poo poo constantly"
So both mean that you end up losing data? That sounds fairly consistent.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

mycophobia posted:

Resizing the window is common on Windows for a less awful fullscreen experience, avoiding mode switches. So, just point the finger at both Firefox and Ubuntu.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
firefox was doing that for me for a while under fedora but it seems to have stopped as of an update or two ago

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Mr. Crow posted:

Fedora is great just make sure you enable rpm fusion repos and on the greeter select x11. Wayland might be alright for and GPUs but boy howdy is it still terrible for nvidia.

Why is windowing so complicated

ive got all intel onboard stuff so ive had good experiences with wayland so far aside from bugginess when using it on debian stable's firefox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i've never had problems with fedora