Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Dragon Warrior Monsters - 1998 (JPN)/1999 (USA/EUR)
Released with compatibility for the Gameboy Color, despite preceding the release of that system!
The player controls Terry, a young boy who embarks on a grand adventure to rescue his kidnapped sister. He gets roped into winning a Tournament along the way.
Gameplay consists of exploring randomly generated mazes, collecting items and recruiting enemies drawn from the classic Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest games. This game includes enemies drawn from Dragon Quest 1-6.
Many names are slightly (to very) different from the main series, mostly due to Enix only halfheartedly localizing it/hardware restrictions.

Battles are fought in the classic DW/DQ style - first-person and turn based. The player character has no ability to participate aside from directing the monsters, and the occasional use of magic staves to cast spells.
You recruit monsters to your side by force-feeding them raw meat until they like you! ProTip: Only the last monster defeated from a group is eligible to join!
Monsters have individual personalities that dictate how well they can perform in 1 of 3 roles in combat:
  • Damage Dealer - attacks physically and with offensive spells/abilities
  • Support Skills - buffs allies, debuffs enemies
  • Heals/Defense - Heals allies, resurrects dead allies, if no healing needed will defend self.
Note that there are 27 different personalities, ranging from Hotblooded (excels at all 3 roles) to Lazy (bad at all 3 roles). Monster personalities can be changed over time by "training" them in the different roles.

Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 - Cobi's Journey/Tara's Adventure - 2001(ALL)
Play as a young Monster Master on an Epic Journey to save their new home from a watery doom!
Largely the same as its predecessor, this was Enix's attempt to cash in on the moneymaking "1 game sold 2 times" formula of Pokemon. The version you bought determined whether you played as Cobi or Tara.
Beyond that, the games were near identical, with a handful of monsters only found in one version or the other, and a specific postgame item unique to each as well. Players could trade monsters and items between the 2 versions.
Other changes include the addition of many new monsters, including an entirely new family of "Water" monsters.
In addition, DWM2 ditched the randomly generated Mazes, instead featuring premade "Worlds", each with their own storyline and characters and landscapes.
The random generation was not entirely lost however, as Worlds visited outside of the Story are randomly created, albeit as fully explorable zones rather than mazes.

Breeding
Like in Pokemon, you can breed monsters to create new ones. UNLIKE in Pokemon, the offspring is usually a totally different species than the parents. When breeding, you choose a "base" monster, and a "mate" monster.
The Base monster determines the Family of the offspring. So, using a Spotslime as a base will always produce a Slime family monster, not necessarily a Spotslime.
The Mate monster determines, in combination with the base, what monster you get. Both parents contribute stats and possible moves.
This system means that you can get different monsters with the same combination of parents, depending on which is base vs mate.
For example:
Base: Slime + Mate: Copycat = Haloslime
But
Base: Copycat + Mate: Slime = Spooky

This is because in the first example, the Base was a slime type monster, which made a slime type offspring. In the second example, Copycat is a Zombie family monster, meaning the offspring will be a Zombie type as well.

Helpful Links
DWM1 GameFAQs Guide by KurasuSoratobu
DWM2 GameFAQs Guide by Jimeous
Breeding Database - built for DWM2, most breed combos, excluding those for new monsters, will still work for DWM1. Note that some of the Boss breed combos may be incorrect, check Dragon's Den to be sure!

Dragon's Den - A very useful Dragon Quest Fansite. Has many useful tools and reference documents. I've linked to the page for Dragon Warrior Monsters 2, as it has the most content.

Quick Reference Guide for DWM2 by Geonjaha from Reddit

Note that I have not played the followup games "DWM Caravan Heart" and the assorted "Joker" games on the DS/3DS. If someone wants to write up anything on those games, I will add it to the OP

Next Post - Monster Families!

Annath fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Families
  • Boss Family: The Boss Family are some of your favorite bosses from past Dragon Warrior games. They are powerful and difficult to obtain.
  • Beast Family: The Beast Family resembles animals, but they are able to resist special skills that lower attributes. They too have a strong attack and high HP.
  • Devil Family: These little monsters are fierce fighters with high HP, Attack and Defense. They can withstand strong magic attack and other special attacks.
  • Bird Family: The members of this family are speedy and grow quickly. They defend well against Thunder magic and Thunder special skills.
  • Bug Family: The insect Family is strong against poisonous attacks, and have a great capacity for increasing their attack and defense attributes.
  • Plant Family: Despite being plants they do have high intelligence and MP, and have the ability to grow to high levels in these areas, but have low agility.
  • Slime Family: This Family is a good support group during battle, they also grow rapidly and have high agility and can grow quickly in attack and defense.
  • Zombie Family: The Zombie Family has high HP but are low in most of the other attributes being average to feeble and are week against spells such as paralysis.
  • Dragon Family: These guys are obviously strong against fire attacks, but can also repel blizzard attacks. All attributes are high, but they grow slowly.
  • Materials Family: The Materials are made of natural materials like mud and stone, so they can resist cold and fire well and have high defense attribute.
  • Water Family: This is a new Family that was added for DWM 2.

Annath fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 28, 2021

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Placeholder until I have more time to flesh out some other things.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Minor correction: DQM1 has monsters from DQ 1-6, not just 1-5.

The breeding chain required to get Darkdrium (AKA Nokturnus) in DQM1 is the stuff of legends. Closest I ever got as a kid was a team of Hargon, Dracolord1, and GoldSlime. Still have the physical printed Prima guide for the game; it's great because it has all of the original Toriyama art for every monster.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Minor correction: DQM1 has monsters from DQ 1-6, not just 1-5.

The breeding chain required to get Darkdrium (AKA Nokturnus) in DQM1 is the stuff of legends. Closest I ever got as a kid was a team of Hargon, Dracolord1, and GoldSlime. Still have the physical printed Prima guide for the game; it's great because it has all of the original Toriyama art for every monster.

Nice! I'll edit that when I get home from work.

I currently have a GoldSlime, LordDraco, and Kagebou in DWM2. Yes I used a GameShark to generate the promo Monsters I could never get as a kid lol.

I have a pdf of the guide, but I'd love to get another physical one one day. I had one, but it got destroyed at some point due to my brothers and I all sharing it haha.

I need to go replay DWM1 again when I'm done with 2...

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

DQM1, DQM2 (Cobi), and DQ3 are the only GameBoy games that I still physically own.

DQM1 is how I learned that DQ 5&6 existed, since the SNES versions were never officially localized for the US. It was still the early days of the internet, and that kind of info wasn’t as ubiquitous back then. The fan translation of FF5 is really what blew the door open on more widespread knowledge about what games western JRPG fans had missed out on in the 16-bit era.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

DQM1, DQM2 (Cobi), and DQ3 are the only GameBoy games that I still physically own.

DQM1 is how I learned that DQ 5&6 existed, since the SNES versions were never officially localized for the US. It was still the early days of the internet, and that kind of info wasn’t as ubiquitous back then. The fan translation of FF5 is really what blew the door open on more widespread knowledge about what games western JRPG fans had missed out on in the 16-bit era.

I have DQ1&2 and DQ3 for Gameboy Color. Well, I have the ROMs of them on my hacked 3DS. I should try them out sometime.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

I think GB DQ3 is still technically the “definitive” version of the game and contains the most content, including both the pachisi boards and post-Zoma bonus dungeons. The SNES version lacks the bonus dungeons, and the mobile/Switch version lacks pachisi.

We obviously don’t know what the newest upcoming announced DQ3 remake will have, but it drat sure looks pretty using the Octopath Traveller engine. Hopefully it will have all previous content + more new stuff on top, making it the definitive DQ3 experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Posting in a thread about a good game (DWM1, I never played 2). I'm pretty sure the post-game fight against the Master Monster Trainer was impossible even with a max-level party, that team was a nightmare.

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

I had that same guide and it really was, lol. You had to breed every other Boss monster for use somewhere along the chain, as well as acquire the "mascot" character for the game (by obtaining every non-Boss monster in the game IIRC) and use it towards the end of the breeding chain. And unlike Pokémon, when you use a monster for breeding in this game it's gone for good :negative:

I think it's still at my folks' house but the actual cartridge is with me somewhere. I wonder if the save battery is still any good...