Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Condimentalist
Jun 13, 2007

Beastie posted:

I got that bowling game that’s $5 and it owns so hard.

Sorry if I missed it, but what game is that and is it oculus only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Nocheez posted:

Skip Waterworld, that piece of poo poo was the worst cash grab game I've ever played.

No o way! That one is pretty fun too. Sure I'm not really sure what to do, but the music is very chill and the rotoscoping/whatever ok the Smokers' jetskis? Badass. I guess you have to rescue the atoll people from the water before they get got. And if you do well the tattoo girl (Enola?) gives you an end-level bonus (they even used multiple sources photos cuz it changes).

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's been around for a while, but yeah there is one, I think it's on Sidequest.

The Quest controller layout is pretty much the same as the VB as well, so it translates over really well.

Absolutely. I had the $15 yard sale special and it came with Mario Tennis, Wario, Mario Clash, and maybe Golf. It wasn't until I sat down with the Quest and played Red Alarm that I really *got* how the controller was supposed to work. It works better than the Pro controller for some games.

Speaking of Red Alarm, the only games I ever saw to demo at the Walmart were that and 3d Tetris. Holy God what bad choices. I tried the latter again on Quest and my eyes couldn't even focus on the background (where the pieces were). But Japan got a proper Tetris game, and it was actually good? And the FaceBall game is actually pretty good too? gently caress.

I'm excited to play teleroboxer and all the rest, most for the first time.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Is there a way to turn off your headset? I have the G2 and I have SteamVR and WMD or whatever it is off. No picture is coming through the visor, but the HP on the headset is still lit up and the set is warm to the touch. Is this just the default "off/sleep" mode for a headset, or do I need to fully unplug it to keep it off-off?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Condimentalist posted:

Sorry if I missed it, but what game is that and is it oculus only?

My bad, I forgot what page folks were talking about. I have it on the Quest 2, it's called Premium Bowling.

I was buzzed but it gave me really strong Wii Bowling vibes. Even down to just turning my wrist to add spin. I turned the music down and put on a podcast. Was fun!

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

What is there in terms of local coop? I wish Walkabout had a turn taking mode.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is there a way to turn off your headset? I have the G2 and I have SteamVR and WMD or whatever it is off. No picture is coming through the visor, but the HP on the headset is still lit up and the set is warm to the touch. Is this just the default "off/sleep" mode for a headset, or do I need to fully unplug it to keep it off-off?

If you have the new revision there is a tiny button on the breakout box that you hold down a couple seconds to turn it off. If you're on the old one, just disconnect the power cable from it (Though if you do have the old cable, you can request HP to ship you the new one).

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If you have the new revision there is a tiny button on the breakout box that you hold down a couple seconds to turn it off. If you're on the old one, just disconnect the power cable from it (Though if you do have the old cable, you can request HP to ship you the new one).

I've got the new revision and the button did it, thank you! I just felt weird having it on all the time when I'm really not using it that often. Would also help with it constantly turning on whenever I pick it up to move things around.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

panic state posted:

What is there in terms of local coop? I wish Walkabout had a turn taking mode.

I think adjusting the strap every time would be a pain in the rear end.

I made my nephews and niece wear a beanie hat so I didn’t have to adjust for them every time they demanded it was their turn after 15 minutes

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Popping in here to ask the experts

I'm about to finally pick up a Quest 2 but folks are telling me I can't use a throwaway Facebook account. How true is that? Do I need to post with a fake account for a while to make it look real?

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

BrainDance posted:

The Low GPU memory warning is common in HL:Alyx regardless of what your GPU is and how much memory it actually has. It's a common error that's pretty safe to ignore.

But it's also easy to get stuttering in, or notice it. I always use HL:Alyx as a sort of testing game because of that (I just spin in circles and look for stuttering, if I see any I know I gotta fix something.)
First thing I do, run (Whatever Drive):\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusDebugTool.exe and set Visible HUD to performance, then jump in VR and get to wherever you're getting stuttering. See if you can find out where it's at, if it's the game dropping frames or if it's the compositor. Or, if it's not anything on the computer dropping frames at all.

For me (and you have a better GPU than me I think, I have a 2070s), texture quality has to be turned down. And I've heard from other people that this is true on the Quest, and that a part of it is the encoder having issues with higher quality textures in Alyx. I just know that that is one setting that if turned up, I get worse performance than I would expect and it always leads to stuttering.

Then there's a bunch of other stuff you can probably try, make sure steamvr and oculus SS are at sane levels, disabling dynamic resolution by adding -console -vconsole +vr_fidelity_level_auto 0 +vr_fidelity_level 3 to HL:Alyx's launch options (which might be why you're not getting stuttering until you're in game for a while), raising the priority of the compositor and HL, normal computer stuff like making sure you're not hitting thermal throttling on anything and you're using the right power plan.

And, if it doesn't show up in Oculus Debug tool, as unrelated as this sounds it's the most consistent thing for me and a lot of people, delete the guardian data in the quest and redo it. It's bugged. I can be getting stuttering with no compositor or game frame drops, jump out of it, do this, jump back in the game and stuttering is gone without even restarting the game.

This is going back a few pages, but thanks for taking the time to give some advice! I'll give a few of these a shot - though I've already added that stuff to the launch options. I'd hoped to avoid having to troubleshoot too much (because starting/stopping all the VR stuff is a hassle and the problem isn't immediate), but this gives me stuff to try rather than guessing.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm about to finally pick up a Quest 2 but folks are telling me I can't use a throwaway Facebook account. How true is that? Do I need to post with a fake account for a while to make it look real?

I have a completely blank page for Dirk Smith. And soon it won’t even be a requirement

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

If you don't have a current fb account, make one and put nonspecific info in it. If it isn't autobanned after about a week or two you're good. Soon it won't be a requirement.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Nice, thanks everyone.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

So I went on this journey last week and so far it's been fine - I made a throwaway facebook with pictures from some old Japanese movie and made two posts like "I am posting to maintain an active account as an Oculus Quest 2 (TM) owner" which seems sufficient. It's also been great fun so far, you're in for a treat if you've never tried VR before. I'm even slowly getting over my motion sickness already and was able to play Alyx for a good while yesterday without feeling sick, though Boneworks still fucks with me some.

Also Blade and Sorcery is extremely hard, but I swear I remember like tons of videos of people playing with more or less passive AI and doing all kinds of fun tricks like pushing them into spikes, dismembering with absurd weapons, etc etc. That doesn't seem to be an option anymore or am I just missing some kind of modifier or something? I can't even seem to make them passive

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

Since when you have that FB accounts? A pair of years? More?

Well, if they didn't discover your account had fake info during that time, nor they asked you to validate something with a real id, I doubt they are going to discover it now. FB controls on bots/fake accounts are more upon creation of new accounts.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I would say don't add any photos from movies or something you find online, my brothers fake account got destroyed and I think that because he used a photo from an old James Bond movie. Having no photos wasn't a problem for me with the 3 fake accounts I've made for quests.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I just got my VR Wave prescription inserts for the Quest 2 and oh man it's amazing. Not only is it way more comfortable to not jam my glasses into my skull, I feel like everything is way more clear, I'm not seeing any blur that I would get if i look at it from a weird angle previously. Plus the way that it clips on and has a magnetic clip basically is a free light blocker.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Cutedge posted:

I just got my VR Wave prescription inserts for the Quest 2 and oh man it's amazing. Not only is it way more comfortable to not jam my glasses into my skull, I feel like everything is way more clear, I'm not seeing any blur that I would get if i look at it from a weird angle previously. Plus the way that it clips on and has a magnetic clip basically is a free light blocker.

drat thanks for shouting these out, am I reading right they're only $30? I thought prescription lenses would be more expensive.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Diephoon posted:

drat thanks for shouting these out, am I reading right they're only $30? I thought prescription lenses would be more expensive.

That's your base price before you dial in the strength of the prescription, it's likely to come out at low three figures depending on how exact a prescription you request and how hosed your eyes are.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If I have Left and Right PD of 33 each is my IPD double that? Thinking about ordering some of those lenses and am not sure why to put here.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

explosivo posted:

If I have Left and Right PD of 33 each is my IPD double that? Thinking about ordering some of those lenses and am not sure why to put here.

66 is a pretty average IPD so it could certainly be that, although they do mention there's an app that can also ballpark your distance so maybe get a second opinion from that if you're unsure.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Super Foul Egg posted:

66 is a pretty average IPD so it could certainly be that, although they do mention there's an app that can also ballpark your distance so maybe get a second opinion from that if you're unsure.

Thanks! I found a thing on zenni that explains you do add the two PD's together to get the IPD which I thought made sense but wanted to make sure. Total for mine was $63 with the anti-glare material and standard shipping for those who were wondering. Definitely a good price!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone playing Pavlov on a Reverb G2?

It's quite fun but because the controllers are so so chunky, I can't really use any scoped weapons.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Diephoon posted:

Yeah when I plugged in my prescription it went up to like $130 and then there are adds you do on top of that (blue light, etc). Not everyone is as blind as me though.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

So after going through it with someone here already I can confirm that right now US and non-US accounts can't do referrals between each other, seemingly because of the US-specific offer that recently ended.

So this is a specific call for any non-US account that wants some free minigolf bux when I add the new Quest to mine. PM for golf!

EDIT: Claimed, thank

Super Foul Egg fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 8, 2021

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So I read through the OP and I still have questions

I know facebook/meta are evil and I shouldn't throw them more money. That aside, I'd be in about $1000 to upgrade my PC and buy a VR system, so that's less of an option

So, how would one access the Steam VR store from the Meta Quest setup? Is it literally as simple as browsing there from whatever built in browser there is?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CzarChasm posted:

I know facebook/meta are evil and I shouldn't throw them more money. That aside, I'd be in about $1000 to upgrade my PC and buy a VR system, so that's less of an option

So, how would one access the Steam VR store from the Meta Quest setup? Is it literally as simple as browsing there from whatever built in browser there is?

You still need a VR-capable PC to do SteamVR stuff, because you're linking your Quest to a PC and using it as a PC headset rather than running PCVR content ON the Quest.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

Easiest way to parse PCVR is that the VR unit is basically just a New Monitor, be it Quest or Index or whatever else. The standalone units also jam a mobile processor in there to enable self-contained experiences (and garden-walling).

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Cutedge posted:

Yeah when I plugged in my prescription it went up to like $130 and then there are adds you do on top of that (blue light, etc). Not everyone is as blind as me though.

Came to post this; it's about the same for a vroptician lenses. However the snap-to functionality is nice. If you have multiple blind users I could see that being a selling point since it'd be much quicker to swap the lenses as a result.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Cutedge posted:

130 is pricey. I was thinking of going with Reloptix as they claim flat rate on all their lenses at 80 bucks including blue filters and high index prescriptions.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

130 is pricey. I was thinking of going with Reloptix as they claim flat rate on all their lenses at 80 bucks including blue filters and high index prescriptions.

I ordered from reloptix about three weeks ago and they haven’t shipped my order yet. They did say it would be 3-4 week lead time but they took the money out of my account right away and I just have a simple order confirmed email to keep me warm at night. It’s probably fine. I think it’s fine?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Zosologist posted:

I ordered from reloptix about three weeks ago and they haven’t shipped my order yet. They did say it would be 3-4 week lead time but they took the money out of my account right away and I just have a simple order confirmed email to keep me warm at night. It’s probably fine. I think it’s fine?

If I had to guess without knowing anything about the company; Made to order lenses that take about a week to be made and then another 2 or 3 to make it overseas

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pixelate posted:

Haven’t played for a long while, but it’s core hook seems to be the super chill way you 'plant' biomes by flinging them down. Like you’re scattering a biome seed onto your chosen square. It’s very relaxing to build out the map like that. (And fun to fling the odd heretic off the map too).

It never seemed super deep, or challenging, whenever I dropped back in. Make sure there’s food, flick away incursions, perform the odd appropriate curing (or smiting) miracle. More like god as gardener than anything.

I ended up buying it, I rationalized to myself it was only 8€ and I still had 12€ on my account from a referral with two more coming on the following days. In fact I will use up the chance to talk of the three AppLab games I bought with money. The three are very much in 'Early Access' phase, as you will see:

Deisim. Right now it seems very much half a game? Like, really work in progress. Or maybe I just don't 'get it'. What's the point of having offensive miracles if it seems there are no enemy civilizations/deities? Is it just for the sandbox appeal of being a god and send plagues to your people at random? It seems counterintuitive to me as the only vague implied goal you have is to help your people to advance to the last civ stage.
Or if it's supposed to be like SimCity is that there are no direct enemies but the ever increasing needs and complexities of your city and the limited resources, the game still much more in that area. Right now you toss heretics to the void from time to time and use the rain spell to stop random fires, that's it.
The game is a bit weird, in how is potentially a bit more complex than it seems, but it's all obscured by the UI, like needing several resources to advance to the next stage or trading being a thing that's possible (you see little crates moving on their own), but the lack of interaction with most systems make it moot. You can't really drill down in what the cities are doing.
In any case it seems things are really going to change in the next update, where cities can splinter into kingdom and they can fight each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD4S9AXRIHs

Black Hole Pool. There was a point where the dev changed the environment and changed radically how the controls worked. It was unplayable to me, I was pissed and wrote a negative review. He did a pretty bad job at replying the review, he basically denied there was an update in the first place, saying maybe I was in a beta. Like uhhh? You are the dev of the game, you should know what are your beta players or if there is a beta in the first place (I'm a regular customer). Denying there was an update was hilarious, because the entire environment changed from a flat to a moody pub. Like, how anyone is going to miss that change.
In any case, I will give him props in one thing: despite his bad handling of PR, weeks later he updated the controls to be usable again so he really took the feedback I gave him. The new environment is very nice, it has AI and multiplayer, the physics are excellent, the graphics are good, it has youtube integrated so you can put whatever music you want, so I can recommend it for :10bux: , if you like pool in RL. The only flaw right now is that the AI at medium difficulty still makes too many penalties.
Still, it's a 'Early Access' game, and I hope the game will get some new features. Like alternative games beyond 8-ball, or a replay feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7-_4kE5A5Q

Peco Peco. Bought after playing the last Puzzling Places beta, as it seemed potentially a similar style of jigsaw puzzle game, but on the cheap, only 5 bucks, and having more than 30 puzzles. This is where me being a cheapass bite my rear end. It's just not good, cheap or not, it makes so many mistakes.
Instead of using real life photogrametry like in Puzzling Places, the idea is that they have 3d models, some like dioramas, like a fantasy mage tower, or a viking boat fighting a giant serpent, or a model of a old typewriter or a astrolab. Some of them are cool!
The first issue is how the model are split into pieces. It seems they use a 3d sphere to do a boolean intersection and split them, so all pieces have the same big convex/concave curves, instead of having the typical jigsaw shape with little... I don't know to call them... arms? that sprout from the central area, that serve you to guide you in how different pieces connect. Without them is much harder to connect pieces. Maybe to compensate this, the puzzles have something like 60 pieces, instead of 300.
Another issue in the pieces themselves, is how some of them have a piece of model, then a gap or 'void' in them, and then a floating corner magically attached to the rest of the pieces. This doesn't feel right to me, but it's very subjective. It feels as that should be another piece.
The second issue is the scale. Most puzzles scale is just too big. I commented it with the dev and they said people seems to like the big scale, which made me eyes roll. Yes, it's cool to see a big diorama completed, and part of it is the scale of it, but once you go beyond that first gimmick impression, the scale is a clear detractor for the gameplay. In half the puzzles you have so much clutter, as the big size of the pieces makes very easy to obstruct each other, or take several in your hands to compare them, or contemplate several in one glance to know which next pieces to pick. Even rotating them in your hand to see how they can connect can be a bother, from their sheer size!
Another ~puzzling~ decision: this is a jigsaw puzzle game that doesn't show you a reference of the finished model. Yes, you read that right. You can't compare what you have with the typical photo of the finished puzzle to now the red ones go in the top left area or whatever.
The game had an obnoxious music and no option to turn it off, but at least that changed two weeks ago, they changed the music to some more low key.
A new feature they also have included is a ‘force grab’ to pick far away pieces, but it still needs more polishing, it’s very arbitrary when it works and when it doesn’t.
Finally, the game system to connect pieces is unpolished, and sometimes it will let you connect pieces when there was still a missing pieces in between them. Imagine having pieces A->B->C, connected in that order, from left to right. Well, if they are narrow pieces, you can by dumb luck snap A and C together (with the void in between them, but fixed in place), before finding B. It fees like cheating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdpcqGkksZg
(This has the old horrible music, which after 20 minutes focusing in a puzzle while it’s droning, you will learn to hate it.)

e: added some videos so you see how they look

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 8, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJQzUsZFAZI
The start of the trailer made me think 'Borderlands + Minions'

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Well, the G2 is boxed back up and a return request was submitted. Maybe next time, HP.

In the meantime I ordered a Vive Deluxe Audio Strap and adapters to use on the Quest 2 I'm keeping. The original strap, despite my initial impressions of it being better than the Quest 1's somehow, still ain't great for long term use.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJQzUsZFAZI
The start of the trailer made me think 'Borderlands + Minions'

makes me think of modern car culture lmao. we love our automobiles :shepface:

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well, the G2 is boxed back up and a return request was submitted. Maybe next time, HP.

In the meantime I ordered a Vive Deluxe Audio Strap and adapters to use on the Quest 2 I'm keeping. The original strap, despite my initial impressions of it being better than the Quest 1's somehow, still ain't great for long term use.

I got my DAS and got it all put together. It really is a big improvement. I got it for the sound (which really is a massive improvement) but I was surprised at how much more comfortable than the pro strap it is.

The only thing is, I keep my link cable tied to the side with a little velcro strap, can't find a perfect spot for it that doesn't get in the way of the speakers.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Super Foul Egg posted:

Easiest way to parse PCVR is that the VR unit is basically just a New Monitor, be it Quest or Index or whatever else. The standalone units also jam a mobile processor in there to enable self-contained experiences (and garden-walling).

Ok, in this scenario if I went with a quest, out of the box, I don't need to upgrade my PC's video card, but I can still hook it up to my PC to get access to a game library. The "self contained" part means that the helmet has hardware, that is doing the extra processing, that I would otherwise be putting into my PC?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

No, it's like a mobile phone that you can connect to your pc to use as a second screen - you can play selected games on the phone by itself, but if you want to play PC games on it you will need a reasonable GPU.

That said the quest native selection isn't terrible (I don't have one but just from looking) and you would be surprised how low the GPU reuirements are for some games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

Ok, in this scenario if I went with a quest, out of the box, I don't need to upgrade my PC's video card, but I can still hook it up to my PC to get access to a game library. The "self contained" part means that the helmet has hardware, that is doing the extra processing, that I would otherwise be putting into my PC?

Not really, no. In theory it might be possible for a standalone headset to do this with the right software, but for the most part current headsets don't. If you're running a game on PC you'll need the same PC hardware whether you're using a PC headset or a connected standalone headset.

What the standalone headset can do is run some software without a PC being involved at all.