Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
So as someone who's watched the news over the last 30 years, it seems like the vast majority of negative interactions with the police come as a result of speeding or being in a car.

I understand that speed limits were initially proposed to save gas, as driving at slower and consistent speeds significantly increases your car's gas mileage. Safety concerns were introduced to the whole kit and kaboodle, and I think we can all understand that car accidents at lower speeds are probably safer ( less Force ) than car accidents at higher speeds.

I recently moved from a smaller sized city, to a significantly larger city, I now spend upwards of 30 minutes commuting in rush hour. Its insane, people are going at least 10 to 15 miles faster than the posted speed on the Interstate. I've timed my route speeding, and going the speed limit, and there is an almost insignificant decrease in the length of my commute when I'm speeding. Over the course of the last few months, there hasn't been a single day where speeding got me home quicker than a margin of 2 or 3 minutes

When I'm speeding, I'm typically changing lanes, spending more time breaking and accelerating, and generally just expending more energy in the act of driving. When I go the posted speed limit, I lock my cruise control, sit in the middle lane, and watch cars go by. I have zero stress, outside of trying to get into the exit lane. It seriously feels like going the speed limit is like a cheat code where I never run into traffic, and have zero negative interactions with other drivers because some jerkwad in front of me only wants to go 4 over the speed limit, compared the manly 5 I want to go.

A common refrain from people who enjoy driving fast in their voom voom cars, is that it isn't speeding that is dangerous, but speed variance that leads accidents. Well hmm, if there is a posted limit of 70, and people went the speed limit, wouldn't that eliminate variance entirely.

What is traffic? Ultimately, an individual experiences traffic when they want to go faster than the car in front of them. There are some arguments about the 'volume' of traffic, but really the issue is more about flow. If you consciously decide to go as fast, or slightly slower, than the car in front of you, you will never experience 'traffic'.

I don't think you should speed, and the next time you go to work, I recommend trying to go the speed limit (not in the passing lane). I've gone from an angry swervy driver constantly upset at 'other people' to the guy who gets to listen to hilarious sports radio without a care in the world. And it gives one less reason for jackass cops to pull you over.

What's the deal with speeding you guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i drive between sf and la roughly every two weeks. most of these journeys involve taking interstate 5. its a two lane freeway with a 70 mph limit and on much of it the average rate of traffic is around 90 in the left lane and 75 in the right lane, which is always full of huge trucks. i do not like driving surrounded by huge trucks and i dont like to spend any more time on the 5 than i have to, so i spend my time in the left lane which means going 85-95 most of the trip.

im not at all a sports car person, i drive a prius. and i dont spend much time angry at other drives, the only thing that pisses me off is when everyone is making space to allow a truck to pass another truck and then some rear end in a top hat comes up out of nowhere and cuts in front of the line or even worse tries to weave around passing truck before the truck completes their move - thats a dick move and really dangerous

Grevlek posted:

What is traffic? Ultimately, an individual experiences traffic when they want to go faster than the car in front of them. There are some arguments about the 'volume' of traffic, but really the issue is more about flow. If you consciously decide to go as fast, or slightly slower, than the car in front of you, you will never experience 'traffic'.

this makes zero sense. many traffic jams occur because of accidents, breakdowns, or construction. also because of population growth outpacing the road capacity. even if everyone magically went the speed limit all the time, traffic would absolutely still occur.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 8, 2021

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Weed speed

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Sometimes you're in a hurry you old bitch

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
cars bad

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I used to speed before i got diagnosed with adhd. Once i got treatment for that i got more patient on the road. I'm not saying everyone who speeds has adhd but I'm sure some do. Just something i noticed about myself and my patience level affecting how i drive.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the problem is americans don't know how to build good roads

on a good road you never need to think about the speed limit because it just feels natural and safe to drive at the appropriate speed

american roads are these massive straight monstrosities that feel like you should be driving at 100mph except the speed limit is actually way lower

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Smugworth posted:

Sometimes you're in a hurry you old bitch

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I never speed because I don't need cops paying attention to me, I like knowing that my mere existence is inconveniencing dumbasses who are willing to risk the vehicles and lives of themselves and others to be a car length ahead at the next red light, and if some idiot fucker behind me gets careless/road ragey and rear ends me they're automatically at fault and OW MY NECK I'm taking their stupid asses to the cleaners (if I live)

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Dixville posted:

I used to speed before i got diagnosed with adhd. Once i got treatment for that i got more patient on the road. I'm not saying everyone who speeds has adhd but I'm sure some do. Just something i noticed about myself and my patience level affecting how i drive.

what meds did you get put on? i'm positive i got adhd and have gotten diagnosed but i also have a problem abusing stimulants and they make me way less patient. need for speed and all that

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Also just gonna go ahead and pre-emptively tell Smugworth to eat poo poo :v:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Grevlek posted:

hilarious sports radio

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dixville posted:

Everyone in knoxville is fuckin adhd then.

also what is wrong with you if you can't figure out how to use a turn signal?

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I never speed because I don't need cops paying attention to me

also this.

Cosmic Thing fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 8, 2021

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Everyone here drives on average 10 miles over the speed limit on city streets, and 15 miles over the speed limit on the freeway. I tend to do the same because it’s better to move with the flow of traffic than to be a goody two-shoes dweebazoid going the speed limit holding everyone up.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I absolutely love when someone speeds past me, weaving through traffic, only for me to catch up several minutes later on the exit ramp. Even better in town, where lights are timed to ensure speeding means you get to sit at a red light while the non-speeders arrive right as it turns green.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

What’s the deal with assholes laying on their horn behind me when I’m waiting for pedestrians to cross in the crosswalk? You want me to murder those people so you can get to your destination 10 seconds faster? gently caress you.

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate the car that's going 60 in the fast lane until you try to past them and all of a sudden they are at 90 like it is an affront to them that you wanted to go faster.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
whats the deal with speeding? well for 1 thing it let's people know im really cool :cool:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Because I'm trying to get someplace far away, op, and it my time is more important to me than a few dollars in gas

gently caress people speeding in school and work zones though or through neighborhoods

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The OP was so long and now i'm late for work!!

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Phuzun posted:

I absolutely love when someone speeds past me, weaving through traffic, only for me to catch up several minutes later on the exit ramp. Even better in town, where lights are timed to ensure speeding means you get to sit at a red light while the non-speeders arrive right as it turns green.

exactly.

also if you speed because your "freedoms" and an insignificant amount of convenience for you outweighs the measurable risk you are adding to the rest of the world, you should check out being an antivaxxer because it's loving identical

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The Bloop posted:

gently caress people speeding in school and work zones though or through neighborhoods

:hmmyes:

I’m speeding because I’m going with the flow of traffic, but gently caress these people, and gently caress lane zig-saggers that make traffic unsafe only for me to pull up alongside of them at each light.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

it is barely possible to speed where I live because the concept of keeping the left lane open for passing might as well be advanced calculus to the average south floridian, so the entire highway just lurches along at 10 mph below the limit during moderately heavy traffic

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

You Are A Elf posted:

Everyone here drives on average 10 miles over the speed limit on city streets, and 15 miles over the speed limit on the freeway. I tend to do the same because it’s better to move with the flow of traffic than to be a goody two-shoes dweebazoid going the speed limit holding everyone up.

It's really not though. The point of not going over the speed limit is that in the event that there is an accident, it will be less severe. If anything you'd be doing everyone behind you a favour by keeping them at the speed limit too.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

One of the few place where redlining down a public lane should be allowed simply because it's fun is down an empty mountain road. Because if you deglue from your chosen takeoff lane and cross into the chasm, nobody will find what's left of your corpse for months after the local carnivores are done with it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

If you're not speeding you're driving dangerously.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's really not though. The point of not going over the speed limit is that in the event that there is an accident, it will be less severe. If anything you'd be doing everyone behind you a favour by keeping them at the speed limit too.

It’s fine until you have to switch lanes in which case you should really be matching the flow of the lane you’re switching to.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
my theory is that people see space in front of a car, whether its theirs or yours, and figure that means the car could be going faster

its fascinating to watch this happen on the interstate. groups of cars clumped together like they want to sniff each others butts, bumpers almost touching all going 70+mph

then there's me, also going 70+mph, but with hundreds of feet of open road in front of and behind me

happens every time

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Funky See Funky Do posted:

what world do you live in where this won't cause those people to just drive more aggressively and possibly display firearms lmao

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Optimal speed limit is 0 hth

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Cops can suck the poo poo directly out of my own rear end in a top hat.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Because I'm trying to get someplace far away, op, and it my time is more important to me than a few dollars in gas

So acknowledging people do more driving than just commute to work, I don't know that the math works out here.

Assume a 16 mile commute, a posted speed limit of 65, and you are going 10 miles over the speed limit. Assume you can spend 95% of your commute going at 75 ( which I think is generous ) and you commute to work and back, you are estimated to save 3.74 minutes per day commuting to work. Assuming 5 days a week, at 50 weeks a year ( vacation and holidays etc ) you are saving 15.59 hours per work year on your commute. Sounds pretty good right?

Let's assume a wage of $15, which many of us believe should be the minimum wage in America. Your time value savings amount to $233.85 speeding. Looking at ticketing information, approximately 20 percent of drivers get a speeding ticket every year. Average cost of a ticket in the US is $150, the average cost of insurance premium increases due to a ticket is $450, and let's say it takes 10 minutes to get your ticket, and to pay it. If you get a single ticket that year, your time value savings is -$368.66. A single ticket, financially, wipes out whatever time savings you have, and it doesn't look like its worth it to speed, unless you make about $39 dollars an hour, that is when you would break even on a single ticket every year.

So, with a yearly gain of $233.85 which you will get about 80% of the time, and a yearly loss of -$368.66 which you will get about 20% of the time, your expected value gained every year from speeding is about $113.35 in time value. Which, while still positive, doesn't really seem like it is worth it.

Let's say that you are 'actively' driving for 5 minutes each way, in order to speed 10+mph on your driving, as opposed to more passively driving when engaging cruise control and not switch lanes. That 5 minutes of extra effort (compared to people not accelerating/decelerating and switching lanes) is less than your daily savings of 3.15 minutes. Stretching that across the year, that's about 41.67 extra hours of effort, to save 13.128 hours in driving. You are paying yourself $5.61 an hour to speed, compared to those who are more passively driving, and that is not including any additional fees from getting pulled over.

tl;dr - your ev in time saved is about $113.35 a year , and if you expend 5 minutes worth of effort per day to speed, that savings equates to an hourly wage of $5.61 to be your own personal speed racer

Grevlek fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 8, 2021

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

these darn whippersnappers speeding up and down the block all hours of the night playing their boom booms. it's 6 pm, decent folk oughta be in bed :argh:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grevlek posted:

So acknowledging people do more driving than just commute to work, I don't know that the math works out here.

Assume a 16 mile commute, a posted speed limit of 65, and you are going 10 miles over the speed limit. Assume you can spend 95% of your commute going at 75 ( which I think is generous ) and you commute to work and back, you are estimated to save 3.74 minutes per day commuting to work. Assuming 5 days a week, at 50 weeks a year ( vacation and holidays etc ) you are saving 15.59 hours per work year on your commute. Sounds pretty good right?

Let's assume a wage of $15, which many of us believe should be the minimum wage in America. Your time value savings amount to $233.85 speeding. Looking at ticketing information, approximately 20 percent of drivers get a speeding ticket every year. Average cost of a ticket in the US is $150, the average cost of insurance premium increases due to a ticket is $450, and let's say it takes 10 minutes to get your ticket, and to pay it. If you get a single ticket that year, your time value savings is -$368.66. A single ticket, financially, wipes out whatever time savings you have, and it doesn't look like its worth it to speed, unless you make about $39 dollars an hour, that is when you would break even on a single ticket every year.

So, with a yearly gain of $233.85 which you will get about 80% of the time, and a yearly loss of -$368.66 which you will get about 20% of the time, your expected value gained every year from speeding is about $113.35 in time value. Which, while still positive, doesn't really seem like it is worth it.

Let's say that you are 'actively' driving for 5 minutes each way, in order to speed 10+mph on your driving, as opposed to more passively driving when engaging cruise control and not switch lanes. That 5 minutes of extra effort (compared to people not accelerating/decelerating and switching lanes) is less than your daily savings of 3.15 minutes. Stretching that across the year, that's about 41.67 extra hours of effort, to save 13.128 hours in driving. You are paying yourself $5.61 an hour to speed, compared to those who are more passively driving, and that is not including any additional fees from getting pulled over.

tl;dr - your ev in time saved is about $113.35 a year , and if you expend 5 minutes worth of effort per day to speed, that savings equates to an hourly wage of $5.61 to be your own personal speed racer

What was the opportunity cost of this post I wonder

I'm talking about speeding down I95 or whatever on 5 hour drives, not my 8 minute daily commute fwiw

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

The Bloop posted:

What was the opportunity cost of this post I wonder

I'm talking about speeding down I95 or whatever on 5 hour drives, not my 8 minute daily commute fwiw

that's probably even worse! You might save like an hour, but going interstate increases your chance of a ticket by several magnitudes!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grevlek posted:

that's probably even worse! You might save like an hour, but going interstate increases your chance of a ticket by several magnitudes!

lol

Maybe but unlikely when there are faster speeders in sports cars and poo poo

I'll risk the ticket. After decades of doing it I've saved plenty of time that it'd still easily be worth it

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
speeding is like the opposite of that old adage about swimming with sharks, just make sure theres someone slower than you. So its fine to speed as long as theres someone going even faster to draw all the attention.

although it doesn't work with cameras which are everywhere now so i'm a stressed out coward anytime i go somewhere i'm not familiar with. so yeah just sit on autopilot at 73mph or whatever.

but round here where i know the roads i'm passing cars like theyre stationary. i particularly enjoy getting home to open the boot and admire the jackson pollock my shopping has done all over the place.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
the fastest ive SPED (speeded) is 150 yeah i got a rig that can do that :twisted:

it was on a very remote road in mexico aka california aka commiefornia aka SUCK EM BITCH

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Chinatown posted:

the fastest ive SPED (speeded) is 150 yeah i got a rig that can do that :twisted:

it was on a very remote road in mexico aka california aka commiefornia aka SUCK EM BITCH

lmao hope you enjoy running into loose cattle at 150 mph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

lmao hope you enjoy running into loose cattle at 150 mph

How do you think Betsy got pregnants?