Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

zoux posted:

Hey, 13 new MST3K episodes on March 4. Though I'm skeptical of this gizmoplex thing...

Is it the same cast and crew as the Netflix revival? And what is it on now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
It's the same robots and Jonah, it seems, and I think they're releasing it independently?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nate fisher posted:

True but I guess goes back to a discussion we had earlier about how they are no dramas airing currently that are truly at that top level of prestige TV (or are we just to spoiled by the golden age of HBO/AMC that it is harder for a show to reach that level?). I would argue possibly The Crown comes close, and the other show I would guess that is close is Better Call Saul (which I haven't watch at all, but I plan to before the final season) from what I heard.

Oh yeah The Crown is a good contender, which I thought I would never had said before I watched the show. Just really engaging and ambiguous storytelling that changes things up on an episode by episode basis. Short story structure, another similarity with Mad Men.

Lambasting the rich or the powerful isn't why a TV show is great tho. I'm not looking for TV to teach me politics or give me fake sense of schadenfreude or whatever. It is a plus tho, and a sign that the creators are smart and incisive.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is it the same cast and crew as the Netflix revival? And what is it on now?

They're mixing things up. So there's going to be episodes with the Netflix cast, episodes with the live show cast and then Joel will be doing one episode and then finally one episode with everybody together.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's Joel describing it last year

quote:

Jonah Ray is set to resume the role of yellow-jumpsuited test subject Jonah Heston, teaming with robot friends Tom Servo (Baron Vaughn) and Crow T. Robot (Hampton Yount) to lampoon the bad movies sent to them by mad scientists Kinga Forrester (Felicia Day) and Max (Patton Oswalt). While the faces and voices will carry over from the most recent TV iteration of MST3K, the show is preparing to turn away from the binge-release model of the Netflix seasons. New episodes will roll out individually on the Gizmoplex.

“It’s a little richer experience for the people making it and doing it that traditional way,” Hodgson says. “It’s better for watching, too, having them paced out one at a time. It’s really the style that built our show—we really ignored the way TV was made back then and just kind of made it work for us.”

When it came time to design a new online home for the series’ past, present, and future, Hodgson wanted to avoid the feeling that MST3K was being given its own nondescript on-demand portal. “I didn’t want to just do a ‘Netflix with more MST’—all these tiles that you click on and go, ‘Okay, what else you got?’” he says. Conceptually, the Gizmoplex is a movie theater run by Day and Oswalt’s mad scientist characters, one that can host special events, a rotating selection of classic episodes, and interactive components featuring the cast and characters of Mystery Science Theater. In describing the Gizmoplex, Hodgson likens it to a virtual theme park, Hollywood’s famed Magic Castle, and one of TV’s gold standards for comedic world-building.

“It reminds me a little bit of SCTV where The Mads are falling all over each other, trying to do new things in the Gizmoplex in the hopes of making more money,” he says of the platform’s role within the universe of the show. “[SCTV] did that so well where, behind the scenes, they’d be planning something and then you’d see it realized on the show, and that was always so fun.”

So probably an app that you pay $5 bucks a month for

muscles like this! posted:

They're mixing things up. So there's going to be episodes with the Netflix cast, episodes with the live show cast and then Joel will be doing one episode and then finally one episode with everybody together.

Who's the live show cast

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Who's the live show cast

https://mst3klive.com/cast/
Basically a bunch of people you probably haven't heard of but they're pretty good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do they do robots too?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Beforeigners season 2 started on HBO Max, by far my favourite Scandinavian time travel police procedural and this season it seems to be bloody Jack The Ripper as one of the main plotlines.

Season 1 was great and had one of my favourite twists ever when it was revealed Alfhildr had traveled back to the Viking age from modern times as a child and then came back here as an adult as both 'aha, this explains a lot what happened so far' and 'oh wow, this opens up a million new possibilities'.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

CeeJee posted:

Beforeigners season 2 started, by far my favourite Scandinavian time travel police procedural and this season it seems to be bloody Jack The Ripper as one of the main plotlines.

Season 1 was great and had one of my favourite twists ever when it was revealed Alfhildr had traveled back to the Viking age from modern times as a child and then came back here as an adult as both 'aha, this explains a lot what happened so far' and 'oh wow, this opens up a million new possibilities'.

Well holy loving poo poo. I’d never heard of this show, but that’s one hell of a pitch.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Same. New to me but it sounds pretty fuckin' cool.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

zoux posted:

Do they do robots too?

I mean, Mystery Science Theater 3000 without robots is just RiffTrax.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I bounced off of Righteous Gemstones the first time I watched it, dunno why, loved everyone in it, hate televangelists, like, it was weird and I still don't really know why it didn't click the first time. Put it on yesterday and finished it today and holy poo poo, I keep remembering random bits and laughing to myself. Mostly scenes with Judy, particularly the dark scene where she confesses some things to BJ. Backed by when he tries to romantic movie her back: "I'm nothing like that guy, I would never cry when I shot!"

I know everyone already did their laughs at this a year+ ago but I finally caught the van.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So, I went through both seasons of Pen15, to see what all the fuzz was about. I kinda hate it?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Basically a bunch of people you probably haven't heard of but they're pretty good.

I saw the MST3K live show a few years ago, and it was really fun. Not least of which was seeing Joel back to playing "Joel" and riffing on a movie. The rest of the cast were different, but they were fine. Also, Joel had a great exchange with the audience that I still remember:

Joel: Okay, we're going to have some Q&As from the audience.

First audience member: How could TV's Frank and Dr. Forrester possibly have kids?

Joel: I see why you're confused, they didn't have kids with each other. Okay, end of the Q&A.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I bounced off of Righteous Gemstones the first time I watched it, dunno why, loved everyone in it, hate televangelists, like, it was weird and I still don't really know why it didn't click the first time. Put it on yesterday and finished it today and holy poo poo, I keep remembering random bits and laughing to myself. Mostly scenes with Judy, particularly the dark scene where she confesses some things to BJ. Backed by when he tries to romantic movie her back: "I'm nothing like that guy, I would never cry when I shot!"

I know everyone already did their laughs at this a year+ ago but I finally caught the van.

That's great, the RG thread is a lot of fun during the season so now you can join in.

I went through all of the McBride/Hill shows a couple of years ago and Gemstones is easily the most complete, least "Danny McBride" series they've done. Walton Goggins, my god. John Goodman is putting in some Emmy level performances as well, he's so good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I saw what I believe is the most recent live tour before everything shut down, I have nothing but high hopes for Emily. She only had one small part where she got to riff, but it worked well for me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I saw what I believe is the most recent live tour before everything shut down, I have nothing but high hopes for Emily. She only had one small part where she got to riff, but it worked well for me.

They're now doing a live show that it is all Emily and she does a great job. It helps that the movie is nutty as all get out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

zoux posted:

That's great, the RG thread is a lot of fun during the season so now you can join in.

I went through all of the McBride/Hill shows a couple of years ago and Gemstones is easily the most complete, least "Danny McBride" series they've done. Walton Goggins, my god. John Goodman is putting in some Emmy level performances as well, he's so good.

Why on earth would anyone want less Danny McBride in their Hill/McBride show :wtc:

RG is good, but it’s a very different beast from Vice Principals or E&D. I’ll watch it, but I don’t think I’ll ever revisit it as often as the other two.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They're now doing a live show that it is all Emily and she does a great job. It helps that the movie is nutty as all get out.

Awesome! It's funny that MST3K works better on paper for me than it does in reality, but the live shows are just so much fun with the energy of a crowd. Plus it really helped that the one I saw was right in my wheelhouse - No Retreat, No Surrender.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

RiffTrax shows in theaters are the same. The crowd makes it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

Anyone who finds any kind of empathy for anyone in Succession is telling on themselves.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

It's not hard to empathise with the characters in Succession. Walking the tight rope between "these people are monsters but I empathise with them" is the fundamental thing that makes the show a success.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GreenNight posted:

RiffTrax shows in theaters are the same. The crowd makes it.

Yep that was my first experience, the MST3K Rifftrax reunion. My friends had some spare tickets and invited me along, and I was like... "Sure, why not" thinking it would be fine enough. Laughed my rear end off the entire time.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

It's not hard to empathise with the characters in Succession. Walking the tight rope between "these people are monsters but I empathise with them" is the fundamental thing that makes the show a success.

Everytime they highlight how abused the kids were the empathy spikes up, then you realize how lovely they are to everyone but their abuser, empathy goes down

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I finished Cowboy Bebop and I liked it. I haven't seen the anime, so I don't know how that compares, but the live action version was fun to watch. If they do a second season, I'll keep watching.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Everytime they highlight how abused the kids were the empathy spikes up

Not just were, they still are. There is so much trauma there. They're completely broken.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

The latest How To with John Wilson has an amazing inadvertent crossover with the subjects of another recent HBO documentary series.

Holy poo poo, this was crazy.

Also, everyone else in the show is legitimately insane as well yeah? The Bang! guy, the "eating 60 year old MRE" guy. Who the gently caress are these people?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
wait, SteveMRE is in the new season? nice!

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Shageletic posted:

Succession is a swerve and subversion of what you tradionally see in depictions of the rich going back to Dallas, bc all these rich motherfuckers are incompetent. And that's a def a very rare in American media.

This matches with why I like Succession. Everyone on the show is hilariously incompetent except for the dying patriarch who is an out-and-out monster. He's incompetent now because age has hobbled him and the kids he has raised are all worthless. It is very funny seeing them flair around.

I loved the scrooge scene where dude lost his kids presents and hates his wife's gift and is obsessed with impressing nobodies. It reminds me of every Kennedy-school-of-business social climber I've ever met. Very funny. Just rich people losing their mind because twitter let's them experience criticism they've never experienced in life. But as a funny tv show.

Billions S1 was fun, I haven't watched it after that. It definitely is in love with wealth and power in an ugly way. Fun TV, abhorrent morals. TV doesn't need to have a moral to be fun but you can really only take it so far before it gets icky.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

wait, SteveMRE is in the new season? nice!

I just googled him, and no, this is a completely different MRE eating Youtuber.

Update: Here is the video he made of the meal he ate with John.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzcJTFnPfpI

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 8, 2021

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I'm coming up on the final half of The Americans last season now, what a stressful and intense show. Every season has felt perfectly plotted and well-made, but there's always am extra heightening when I know I'm watching the final season of a heavily drama/story based show. So many plans and confrontations that all feel like they could come to a head at any moment, I'm really excited to see how it wraps up by the end.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Listening to Mrs. Seabass trying to figure out some of the brigading with these People's Choice Award winners was a treat:
https://www.eonline.com/news/1312257/peoples-choice-awards-2021-winners-the-complete-list

I didn't expect Never Have I Ever to mount the appropriate ... "campaign"?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I forgot how wild the Peoples Choice awards are, that first movie list itself is incredible by itself. Then as soon as I think I know the demographics voting, wham Chelsea Handler with a win.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Toast King posted:

I'm coming up on the final half of The Americans last season now, what a stressful and intense show. Every season has felt perfectly plotted and well-made, but there's always am extra heightening when I know I'm watching the final season of a heavily drama/story based show. So many plans and confrontations that all feel like they could come to a head at any moment, I'm really excited to see how it wraps up by the end.

Please post your thoughts on the finale.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

a really cool thing about the show "Barbarians" on Netflix is that the Roman soldiers speak Latin. Haven't really seen the Latin thing anywhere else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojC-zTXSAsY

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Toast King posted:

As Capslock said, please post your thoughts on the finale!

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I'll report back soon, I'm done for the night but have the final two to go. My partner who watched it all before me wants to get in on these last couple of episodes too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watching Will Sharpe's new HBO show with David Thewlis and Olivia Coleman, Landscapers. Gorgeous looking show, but my god i wasn't prepared for how miserable it was.

Also pretty sure it took a potshot at Fargo ten seconds into its run time and that made me laugh a lot.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
New Pen15 episodes dropped and we watched the first 3. It's still such a funny and heartfelt show. Great stuff.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Watching Will Sharpe's new HBO show with David Thewlis and Olivia Coleman, Landscapers. Gorgeous looking show, but my god i wasn't prepared for how miserable it was.

Also pretty sure it took a potshot at Fargo ten seconds into its run time and that made me laugh a lot.

Really weird and cool first episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

nate fisher posted:

True but I guess goes back to a discussion we had earlier about how they are no dramas airing currently that are truly at that top level of prestige TV (or are we just to spoiled by the golden age of HBO/AMC that it is harder for a show to reach that level?). I would argue possibly The Crown comes close, and the other show I would guess that is close is Better Call Saul (which I haven't watch at all, but I plan to before the final season) from what I heard.

Better Call Saul is good and well-written, but I think it is over-rated simply because it is more of an adult story than Breaking Bad which is shares a lot of characters with. Looked at in context of stuff like Mad Men/Deadwood/etc it isn't as impressive because it still has a very small world and, unlike Breaking Bad, isn't always that compelling. There are many episodes, especially later on, when I was captivated - but there are just as many where my reaction is just mild interest. It also lacks a strong comedic thread like Mad Men has which keeps you always enjoying it even if the plot doesn't matter. BCS is surprisingly uninterested in trying to be funny except occasionally, so it has even bored me at times.

Just for example, in most episodes Mike and Jimmy's storylines will not intersect or even reflect on each other in any way. So a storyline starts to get going and then you cut to something totally disconnected for a 5 minute high concept sequence before anything even happens. I don't know if people remember how irritating Breaking Bad good be when it slowed down. Episodes of Walter just stewing, because things can't progress in episode 4 of 13 this season.

Having said that, BCS gets pretty consisently better as it goes along in terms of being 'thrilling' so the lack of spark and small world of it doesn't feel as obvious. It has more meat to it than BB but still not enough and too much limp material to be considered a really great show for me.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 8, 2021