Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

poisonpill posted:

Where in the world are you getting beef under $2/lb, even in the before times?

$2.99 a pound was common for tri tip just buying the bulk sack from grocery stores with like 5 tri tips in it. $1.99 was the good sale price. They’re untrimmed so you lose a lot to that but still cheap. Tri tip isn’t supposed to be an expensive cut of meat can’t you still get NY Strip loins at Costco for around 9.99 or less a pound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

bird with big dick posted:

I know meat prices are poo poo right now but 9.99 for choice tri tip seems especially poo poo. In the before times I got untrimmed tri tip for $1.99 a pound on sale.

I usually put a dry rub on them and stick a temp probe into them and grill them to medium rare.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016919-grilled-or-oven-roasted-santa-maria-tri-tip

in a similar vein, there was a meat guy putting out ground turkey packs (and half of them in the cooler looked grey and nasty). I said to my wife "$6 a pound, that's not worth it" and the meat guy looked at me and chuckled. no idea if he was agreeing with me about the price or if he thought I was being ridiculous. went to Ralph's and they had $3/pound ground turkey

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

poisonpill posted:

in college I lived a 15 minute walk from this grocery store that had an in-house butcher and they’d do t-bones and porterhouses for $2.99 regularly. Slab bacon for about that as well. I wanna say I saw them go down to $1.99 on occasion for one cut or the other.

my parents were telling me about this great grocery store they found on the way to their cabin and it turns out it’s another one of their 3 locations. Picked up a 10 pound box of frozen cod fillets for $10 last year, although even they have been affected by The Times We Live In.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 6, 2021

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I know meat prices are poo poo right now but 9.99 for choice tri tip seems especially poo poo. In the before times I got untrimmed tri tip for $1.99 a pound on sale.

I usually put a dry rub on them and stick a temp probe into them and grill them to medium rare.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016919-grilled-or-oven-roasted-santa-maria-tri-tip

From my understanding tri tip used to be considered more of a junk/unknown cut and so it was cheap and now it's the popular cool thing and the price went up. This all being pre-pandemic pricing.

For a local area comparison price point I think I paid $25/lb for prime grade boneless ribeye 2 weeks ago for a birthday dinner I cooked at home. (Non-costco shopping)

Or maybe I just got hosed on the price!!

Thanks for the recipe tip :)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Choice NY Strips went from $8/lb before to $14/lb now. Not sure what the whole loin costs.

Anyway, rack of porks are back, buy those they're great.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah I guess if NY is $14 then 10 for tri tip isn’t out of line but I think at that point I just say gently caress it and go for the $20 ribeye.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

poisonpill posted:

My pants! Lmao got em!

:blastu:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

tangy yet delightful posted:

From my understanding tri tip used to be considered more of a junk/unknown cut and so it was cheap and now it's the popular cool thing and the price went up. This all being pre-pandemic pricing.

I remember the days of 2 dollar/pound pork belly :(

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I remember the days of 2 dollar/pound brisket :(

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

These are certainly convenient times to be allergic to red meat.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Meatchat: This reminded me I was low on steak in the freezer so I went to US Foods Chef Store and the prices were:

Boneless ribeye: $9.99/lb
NY strip loin: $5.75/lb
Tri tip: $4.05/lb

This is buying in bulk though (but it's open to the public), like 12-20 pound packages.

I don't think their meat is as consistently good quality as Costco's but at less than half the price I can live with it. I also don't like how much Costco mechanically tenderizes their meat.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I like tri tip and have cooked a million of em but not if they cost the same as strip loin. One thing that's good if you've got guests that like medium-well and bad if you don't is that one end is thicker than the other so you usually end up with a range of donenesses for your pervert inlaws that don't like medium rare.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
We've got a newborn (3 weeks so far!) now so we have very little time and energy for cooking. Went to church for some essentials and also picked up the precooked pot roast and lemongrass chicken things from the refrigerated section, both were pretty good! Any other suggestions from that premade reheat stuff section? Salad and seafood are kind of a no go until my wife's appetite for those things returns to normal but it looked like there was some interesting stuff there.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

what the gently caress

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

We've got a newborn (3 weeks so far!) now so we have very little time and energy for cooking. Went to church for some essentials and also picked up the precooked pot roast and lemongrass chicken things from the refrigerated section, both were pretty good! Any other suggestions from that premade reheat stuff section? Salad and seafood are kind of a no go until my wife's appetite for those things returns to normal but it looked like there was some interesting stuff there.

There's a lot of good stuff in that section. The KS pulled pork is great, I just heat it in the microwave for like 7 minutes and add BBQ sauce. The Irish stew is good, but that's a seasonal item and I don't think they have it right now. The mashed potatoes are another good item to quickly make. And while it's not a reheat meal kind of thing, all the lunch meats in that section are very good if you just want to make a quick sandwich.

Also, you can never go wrong with a $5 rotisserie chicken.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
It's prime NY strip or bust imho, even at the insane price. Twice a month usually so not a terrible cost.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

From my stock alert discord:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Not to be confused with Melbourne Australia.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Not to be confused with Melbourne Australia.

I had a person who worked in shipping do that. Was an expensive thing

On topic: My Costco had whole packer briskets for around $80. I’ll try on next week. Making the rack of pork this week.

The Hambulance fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 7, 2021

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The Hambulance posted:

do tell

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Costco power couple. I'm so happy they let me take their picture.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Johnny Truant posted:

what the gently caress

Upright. No chest.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Inspector 34 posted:

Those superfood/veggie egg bites are really good (they also reheat from frozen well). I ate a lot of those while nursing. The pierogis are good, and the chicken tikka masala is filling with some of those little naan breads.

Not refrigerated, but the Red’s burritos and those fig bars were also clutch in the newborn phase.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BadSamaritan posted:

Those superfood/veggie egg bites are really good (they also reheat from frozen well). I ate a lot of those while nursing. The pierogis are good, and the chicken tikka masala is filling with some of those little naan breads.

Not refrigerated, but the Red’s burritos and those fig bars were also clutch in the newborn phase.

This is also a scenario that benefits a lot from an air fryer. Just set and forget, and if you really forget the fryers are pretty sealed up so its not like food will attract bugs or anything

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Air fryers are a meme

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Upright. No chest.

:mad:

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Thanks for the suggestions! Hoping to get back to Costco this weekend if I can. Pulled pork, egg bites, and chicken tikka are all on my list. Will probably grab a bunch of others to try out too.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Enos Cabell posted:

Limit 2, so I got the biggest ones since I wanted to fill my smoker and freezer. Still an amazing deal :cool:

Absolutely wonderful!

I recently made chef Johns versions with a 5 spice and it was amazing! Highly suggested anyone try it out even if you're not a huge fan of that particular cut normally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dv98FYcF6A

Came out really good, I'm wondering how yours would turn out filleted in half and cross scored like that! Way higher seasoning to lean pork ratio

Also noted recently went to Canada from the US and Costco was basically my life support, new wool socks, gloves, jacket, gifts for the fam, wasn't nearly as stocked as the Davie or North Miami Costcos I usually go to, but I know those two are monsters in sales so I'm not sure if Canada is a 2nd world country IRL or what. No flap meat, but eye round roasts for loving daaays, salmon is like 29 CAN coinos or whatever, shits weird.

But got my covid test to hop a jet out of that place after seeing some amazing snow and seeing their aquarium and giant radio tower/resturaunt, so Costco saves the day once gain!

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 8, 2021

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

maniacripper posted:

Absolutely wonderful!

I recently made chef Johns versions with a 5 spice and it was amazing! Highly suggested anyone try it out even if you're not a huge fan of that particular cut normally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dv98FYcF6A

Came out really good, I'm wondering how yours would turn out filleted in half and cross scored like that! Way higher seasoning to lean pork ratio

Also noted recently went to Canada from the US and Costco was basically my life support, new wool socks, gloves, jacket, gifts for the fam, wasn't nearly as stocked as the Davie or North Miami Costcos I usually go to, but I know those two are monsters in sales so Im not sure if Canada is a 2nd world country IRL or what. No flap meat, but eye round roasts for loving daaays, salmon is like 29 CAN coinos or whatever, shits weird.

But got my covid test to hop a jet out of that place after seeing some amazing snow and seeing their aquarium and giant radio tower/resturaunt, so Costco saves the day once gain!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Hambulance posted:

Did they not realize it when they had to fill out the customs forms? Shipping things to Australia (or anywhere outside the US) involves a poo poo ton of paperwork, and I'm glad I don't have to fill that stuff out anymore.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Puzzle Gewns: message me if you want a 1000 piece puzzle. Shipping might suck (~another $8 prob) but my church still has a flat of them last I checked.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Same feeling. In the before-before times, there was a time when the rest of the US didn't know what Tri-tip was, and only the west coast knew. These were the halcyon days of cheap BBQ, where regional meat packers would allegedly trade cuts; tri-tip would be sent back to west coast while brisket would be sent to the southwest. Then Food Network and every other publication told everyone about the wonders of Tri-tip, and now we have $10/lb tri-tip. :smith:

It's odd but even in the same supermarket I can sometimes find tri-tip priced only a $1 - $2/lb lower than ribeye, which is ridiculous.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

jeeves posted:

Puzzle Gewns: message me if you want a 1000 piece puzzle. Shipping might suck (~another $8 prob) but my church still has a flat of them last I checked.

Thanks to forums user and true gentleman StormDrain, Mr Music and I are the proud owners of one of these! It arrived just now, right before I left for work, so I was able to surprise him with an early morning gift. I’d been teasing him with the hint that Costco merch was coming soon, but he never guessed that it was a puzz!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
First physical location in China, welcome to the 1.4 billion new churchgoers :wave:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/08/business/costconext-anker-kwikset-weatherproof/index.html

astral
Apr 26, 2004

That link appears to be about the Costco Next program.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Takes No Damage posted:

First physical location in China, welcome to the 1.4 billion new churchgoers :wave:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/08/business/costconext-anker-kwikset-weatherproof/index.html

Costco opened its first mainland location in Shanghai a few years ago. Ayi battles commenced immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UfO4gpML4g

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Facebook Group posted:

This is what Costco did for my coworker after he gave CPR to an old woman last month that had collapsed, stopped breathing and had no pulse. His actions directly contributed to her leaving the store alive and breathing.

I felt like this is deserving to be posted here because this is how a company that partakes in the capitalist system would ideally treat each and every one of their individual employees, even if their employees total over 35,000 people. All in all, seeing him treated this way reaffirmed that I am working for a good company, within the confines of the system that I have to operate within.

Edit: that works out to a bit over $13K

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 9, 2021

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah gently caress, that stock is legit. That’s amazing and I am glad I spend so much money at a good company like the church!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's awesome.

PBUC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

Edit: that works out to a bit over $13K

That is pretty fuckin awesome.