Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I hurd it wasn’t a very good operating system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i gnu what you’re talking aboot

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

i gnu what you’re talking aboot

its the future of linux

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
In development since 1993[27], GNU/Hurd still exists only as a proof of concept operating system. To date, the only applications the base operating system ships with are a man page for age-of-consent laws in all 50 states and 132 nations[28], and a browser locked to only access content on the Tor network[29].

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

In development since 1993[27], GNU/Hurd still exists only as a proof of concept operating system. To date, the only applications the base operating system ships with are a man page for age-of-consent laws in all 50 states and 132 nations[28], and a browser locked to only access content on the Tor network[29].

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hurd is a testament to what can be achieved when a handful of libertarians really put their minds together for 30 years

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

sounds plausible

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ganoo turd

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I vaguely remember a distro that actually offered a hurd version for a while. was it gentoo? it was probably gentoo.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I vaguely remember a distro that actually offered a hurd version for a while. was it gentoo? it was probably gentoo.

Debian for some reason

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

To date, the only applications the base operating system ships with are a man page for age-of-consent laws in all 50 states and 132 nations[28]

I can't decide if this is plausible or not. #thanksrichard

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

lmao

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I know what linux is

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
look I know I talked a lot of poo poo in the bsd threat but just imagine for a second actually running hurd

lmao

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What's RMS doing these days? Did he manage to worm his way back into MIT?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

What's RMS doing these days? Did he manage to worm his way back into MIT?

eating feet and loving parrots i believe

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I hurd there was a gnu linux

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
picturing the one guy on the hurd team who doesn’t know that this was all an elaborate joke and loling

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

haha

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this guy sucks rear end

quote:

In December 1991 the primary architect of the Hurd described the name as a mutually recursive acronym:[7]

It's time [to] explain the meaning of "Hurd". "Hurd" stands for "Hird of Unix-Replacing Daemons". And, then, "Hird" stands for "Hurd of Interfaces Representing Depth". We have here, to my knowledge, the first software to be named by a pair of mutually recursive acronyms.

— Thomas (then Michael) Bushnell

on the other hand stallman apparently doesn't like him, so mr bushnell is clearly not all bad

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

this guy sucks rear end

on the other hand stallman apparently doesn't like him, so mr bushnell is clearly not all bad

dick stallman also doesn’t like esr and i don’t think that makes esr any good

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yeah it's a stopped clock thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

yeah it's a stopped clock thing

no, android is linux, not hurd