Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How are u posted:

New Pen15 episodes dropped and we watched the first 3. It's still such a funny and heartfelt show. Great stuff.
I watched all the new episodes last night and I'm going to miss that show :( While not a girl, I came of age around the same time as Anna and Maya and I was also awkward as gently caress, so some of the situations were relatable for me. And like you said, it was really funny and sweet. It wasn't a long-running show, but I still enjoyed my time with those characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Page snipe but Better Call Saul is a lot funnier when you realize that it spends its runtime showing the dreams, plans, and schemes of characters that (aside from Kim, Chuck, Howard, Nacho, and Lalo, so far) we the audience know will get their poo poo mercilessly wrecked by Walt and Jesse just bumbling around like doofuses in Breaking Bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1468686858469134339

Say, you think the people of Africa are interested in shows made up of 10 minute episodes...

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1468728762065985539

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1468686858469134339

Say, you think the people of Africa are interested in shows made up of 10 minute episodes...

Meg has alot of experience with poor people, considering how many ppl she made poor

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Her?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Presidents hand out ambassadorships like hollywood does associate producer credits

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Short movies on phones is fueling a film renaissance in Kenya -- or at least it was pre-Covid.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

About 6 episodes deep on new Lost in Space, this show made the covid break work and I don't think I would be enjoying it as much if the music wasn't so bombastic

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I just finished the finale of The Americans tonight, I'll leave everything below as spoilers. Couldn't have been more impressed though.

What an incredible time all around, everything in the final hour felt tense and inevitable but so much still surprised me still. The last confrontation with Stan and the family in the nearly empty parking lot was just perfect. Such a sparse setting but every single tiny tic and expression on his face was incredible (as it has been for the entire show, seriously impressive any time he's on screen). So many layers of lies and half-truths with everything they're telling him in the moment, but you still see the honest emotion behind it all as well. I honestly had no idea what direction it might go in, even after it seemed like he decided to let then to after all.

Then going from that to the extended travel montage with basically no dialogue - everything from there on felt incredibly bittersweet and a tiny bit hopeful every time they got a bit further without getting caught (as much as it could in their situation at least). But having Paige step off at the last moment felt like a final gutpunch, seeing their expressions and knowing it's the last moments they'll see each other, not even getting a chance to prepare for it.

Having them end up back home after all that time - no family, huge portions of their life abandoned and no real strong connection to either country, is so sad that it's almost funny. It also feels like there's no other positive way it could have worked out. It always felt like the promise of retiring and having their family back in Russia was an impossible ideal but something to hold on to. I can't think of a better way to tie the show up and their final exchange after almost 10 minutes with minimal dialogue was just so full of emotion and exhaustion all around. It's exactly what they were told the job would be like and there's just no good way to experience it.

Truly an incredible show and it more than lived up to everything it ever promises.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Toast King posted:

I just finished the finale of The Americans tonight, I'll leave everything below as spoilers. Couldn't have been more impressed though.

:ussr: :911:

The only thing I didn't like about the finale, and I think I was the only one in the original thread, was that the show left the fates of a bunch of characters open ended. This was a huge copout since it has previously gone out of the way to show you stuff that could have definitely been left up to the viewer's imagination. The biggest one was Martha getting her kid. Martha's final scene could have easily been at the airfield when she left and then the viewer is left to decide whether or not Russia would actually honor their end of the deal. iirc even Stan wasn't sure what would happen to her, but he convinced her to leave anyways. I kinda felt the same way about Nina too. I can let that one slide a little more since her soviet scientist seduction plotline was a neat insight into how Russia operates, but I still think it would have been more impactful if her last scene was also being driven away in the Russian embassy car with her fate unknown.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Heads up: for the few goons who still haven't had a chance to see it yet, or want to watch it again, Creamerie is available for watching on Hulu now.

It's loving good.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
Is that the documentary about the anal sex clown?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
New thread title please

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Heads up: for the few goons who still haven't had a chance to see it yet, or want to watch it again, Creamerie is available for watching on Hulu now.

It's loving good.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. Can't wait to watch this.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

As a huge fan of both awful 80s sitcoms and stunt casting, ABC's Live in Front of a Studio Audience was a good time. If I had a billion dollars, I would commission a straight remake of Diff'rent Strokes with Kevin Hart and John Lithgow. Here's hoping they get around to doing something from the Garry Marshall-verse next time.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

It's loving good.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is that the documentary about the anal sex clown?

If you're talking about 1994's The Sex Lives of Clowns---no. If you're referring to 2000's rear end Clowns video? No.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jzbleed/status/1468979251701448704

It's always the ones you most expect.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mike Flanagan has announced some of the cast for his next Netflix series The Fall of the House of Usher with the rest getting announced tomorrow.

So far:
Frank Langella
Carla Gugino
Mary McDonnell
Carl Lumbly
Mark Hamill

That's already a pretty solid list.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gee I wonder if Kate Siegel will be in it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Reminder that the final season of the Expanse starts at midnight GMT (so, 8 Eastern). Episode a week.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BSO/status/1469014483590955021

I don't see how they continue this particular franchise anymore. Danai Gurira is great but I don't know if she can be the backbone of her own series of movies. Just a tragedy all around, not just the unbelievably untimely death of Chadwick Boseman, but the sheer obstinance of Letitia Wright.

As an aside, it was cool that Chadwick got some lines recorded for What If, but mostly it made me really sad about it. He was set to be a major A-lister, likely multiple Oscar nominated, for the next 20 years or so. An incalculable loss. This is probably what people in the 50s felt like when James Dean died. (except it's doubly tragic because James Dean wasn't giving representation to a historically ignored demographic. All those kids who finally had a superhero that looked like them, that they could pretend to be. I can't imagine what it would've been like for the young BP superfans to hear that news)

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 9, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I honestly think that IF Wright is done it almost makes a transition cleaner since you can just write off the entire royal family (and ideally the monarchy with it) and just move on to new stories of Wakanda. Its a very talented cast and Marvel is introducing new characters all the time. There's no reason they can't tell more stories with more characters even if Boseman is a massive loss. But there's like three Iron Man proteges in the MCU so the only difference is the real world tragedy and lost stories.

edit: But also that article appears to say that Wright "might" not want to stick with Marvel if they demand a vaccine but they've currently stalled production of BP2 to accommodate Wright recovering from her injury/health problems. So it sounds directly contradictory and just nothing click bait? Unless I missed something?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 9, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://screenrant.com/2022-tv-show-reboots/

Other than party down coming back (with most of the original cast) I'm not too excited about any of the new crop of reboots. Not in that article, but has anyone else heard about a firefly reboot coming?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Azhais posted:

Not in that article, but has anyone else heard about a firefly reboot coming?

Back when Disney bought Fox, there was a rumor of a Firefly reboot for (the then-upcoming) Disney+, but I think that was also when all the Whedon stuff came out so if there was any truth to it, that probably shot it down.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nice. Hoping this means someone will step up with some :filez: I can't find this show anywhere.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I don't see how they continue this particular franchise anymore. Danai Gurira is great but I don't know if she can be the backbone of her own series of movies. Just a tragedy all around, not just the unbelievably untimely death of Chadwick Boseman, but the sheer obstinance of Letitia Wright.

Have they announced the Boseman replacement yet?

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 9, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

They're getting Scarlett Johansson for it since she's freed up from being Black Widow now

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Looten Plunder posted:

I think they explictly said they won't recast T-Challa.

It's most likely going to be a new cast, or bringing in some of the more charismatic side cast from Black Panther to carry the franchise forward.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Just make a Dora Milaje Disney+ series.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Oh wow, that's rough. Has Black Panther been anyone but T'Challa in the comics? It's such a cool superhero, it would be a bummer if we saw no more of it.

Speaking of Marvel, I watched Loki the other day, it's the first Disney+ Marvel/Star Wars show I've watched. It was pretty good. Seemed very short though. The "He Who Remains" guy was fantastic and I was excited to hear that he's Kang. I do hope we get some more of Lady Loki too. She was cool.

Hilariously, I watched The Harder They Fall the very next day and it was freaky seeing Jonathan Majors again so soon. From the three things I've seen him in (Lovecraft Country being the third. I've heard very good things about Last Man in SF but I haven't got around to watching it) it's pretty crazy how versatile this guy is. He's extremely different in both personality and appearance in all 3. Seems like the dude can do anything.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I think at this point or at least within a few more years they should ditch Wright, recast Black Panther as a different actor and character, and just have a portrait or shrine to T'Challa up in the main hall and a dedication to Boseman in the credits. Then work hard not to gently caress it up. There's more benefit (to the fans and Marvel/Disney) in having the superhero active than in retiring the franchise in the actor's honor. Hell, do a Disney+ series where a few different people of all ages and genders play the role for shorter stories.

But maybe I'm wrong, I'm just a nerd who watches too many of these dumb shows and has had more than enough representation my whole life.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

Oh wow, that's rough. Has Black Panther been anyone but T'Challa in the comics? It's such a cool superhero, it would be a bummer if we saw no more of it.

Some years ago T'Challa became "King of Necropolis" and couldn't be BP so there was a lady one. I can't remember if it was an MCU character though. It was still T'Challa's book, I believe.

It's funny you mention Majors because after Boseman died, I thought Majors had the charisma, stature and screen presence to be the next BP (not T'Challa tho). Then they cast him as Kang.

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 10, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Netflix canceled Cowboy Bebop. Guess I don’t need to watch it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

oof lol

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It must have really bombed for them to do it so quick.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GreenNight posted:

good

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/cowboy-bebop-canceled-netflix-1235060256/

quote:

Insiders pointed out Netflix’s renewal rate for scripted series that have two or more seasons stands at 60 percent, in line with industry averages, and, like all Netflix renewal verdicts, the decision was made by balancing the show’s viewership and cost. The streamer also prides itself on taking big swings on projects like Cowboy Bobop and has many other genre shows on the air and in the works.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1469085481640026123

Whoa gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GreenNight posted:

I thought it was already renewed for s2 but I'm probably mixing it up with another big budget show like the LotR show or Wheel of Time. Or maybe I'm just completely wrong and confused.

Either way lol