Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
100% OFFICIAL THREAD

yeah we have a pics thread for computer pics
yeah we have a get outdoors thread that has photos in it
yes we have also other threads
but this thread right now? doesn't exist

showcase your glorious snaps
discuss your god forsaken hardware
debate phone apps
share tips for getting birds to pose for you

RUELS:

a) show off ya gear. I wanna see what yas got.
b) you have to lay on the bokeh thick, like with a god drat butter knife
c) if its your first post in the thread, you have to post a pic you took
d) do what you can to share gear info with shared pics
e) phone pics are legit pics so post em

HEARTY RECOMMENDATION:
https://postimages.org/ is definitely worth it. it might cost a few dollars (and free account is decent), but you get excellent hosting which doesn't decimate the quality of your pics, and the desktop app works real nice for easy/quick screen/region shots et cetera!

Jimmy Carter posted:

yo uhhh, an FYI that PostImages doesn't strip EXIF data.

run either exiftool -all= <file> or at the very least exiftool -geotag= <file> if you want

(someone should probably add this to the OP)

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

canon eos r w/ canon EF 100mm f/2.8L

the roses pull the hard yards here. it was a misty morning so they got some water of the gods on them. this lens isn't mine, I was renting it and will get it back again soon, I can't wait. also rental dude gave me an eos r to play around with for a while and I fell in love so I got one for myself on a pay a few dollars for a million months kind of thing BECAUSE I AM A GOD drat ADULT

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I cannot contribute but I fully support this thread. show me the best images and thickest longest lenses you got

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had been eyeing up the new sony mirrorless cameras because they are probably front of the pack, but it would have meant leaving canon behind

and then I used the eos r, and just fell in love. literally, like the way a child loves it's blanket.
it's not perfect, and so I have a whole list of justifications for buying it regardless.
but I like it very much, I just want to take it everywhere.
and I can see myself buying that lens too. it's only money what the hell
mirrorless is the future
time is in the future

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mirrorless is a (cia) vampire plot

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
ycia killed Kennedy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

I cannot contribute but I fully support this thread. show me the best images and thickest longest lenses you got

this is the lens I want to get. the one I used for the rose photo. I think it has a very satisfying girth and shape.

some lens get thicker as they go along. some get thinner

some maintain their meat all along their length. this provides the user with immense gratitude

when I have this back in my hand, believe me, I will take photos with it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I love those cameras with like a telephoto lens that’s 18 inches long

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I ain't trying to gloat here, I'm just impressed with modern equipment. my last camera was a canon 7d from 2009

this is at 100% its perfect down to the pixel friends.

those zany engineers at the camera companies? god bless every one of them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

I love those cameras with like a telephoto lens that’s 18 inches long

they used to make TWO of these per year lmao

the white looks sick as gently caress

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

echinopsis posted:

I ain't trying to gloat here, I'm just impressed with modern equipment. my last camera was a canon 7d from 2009

this is at 100% its perfect down to the pixel friends.

those zany engineers at the camera companies? god bless every one of them

it's crazy how bad and smeared up phone pics look compared to a modern camera & lens when you pixel peep

i got a mirrorless camera so i can buy weird vintage lenses on ebay for super cheap and fit them easily to my camera with cheap adapters.

for around $100 you can get a soviet helios 44-2 and get swirly bokeh like this

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 8, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

canon eos r w/ canon ef 100m f/1.8 stm

cloud. love a good sky pic. images like this I start to feel conflicted, I've done some aggressive colour manipulation to make it more striking. for this, I may get called a clown. it'll hurt, and you'd think I'd be used to that pain by now but I am not. regardless.

ps. ya know how I uploaded this? I pressed F7. thats a hot key for postimages to bring up a folder browser and upload the image and put the url in the clipboard. postimages open the folder at the last location you left it at, which is the default folder i have set up for exports from lightroom. I am not being paid by them

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a fuji x100v it is extremely needs suiting in that I can't waste $800 on a lens if I'm feeling bored, plus I like the dials for everything it makes more sense to my brain than PASM modes. I wish they'd make a 28mm or maybe 24-50 zoom version but that would probably make it huge. anyway it's a good camera I take lots of dog portraits

[missed focus a bit but it's such a nice picture]

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

it's crazy how bad and smeared up phone pics look compared to a modern camera & lens when you pixel peep

even my old 7d was like that though, it just had enough megapixels for it to not matter too much.

the pic I took had a combo of decent sensor size (full frame) and very sharp glass, and good focus
phones do incredible jobs tbh. I think the biggest downfall of a phone is that they're used up close and distort faces, but thats the users doing that not the phones. and obviously this is a subjective thing

I'll admit there is a part of me that doesn't want to celebrate the technological advances being made in the phone camera world. using multiple sensors and lenses and a bunch of magic to fake depth of field effects. I am really curious to find out what they'll be able to do.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

qirex posted:

I have a fuji x100v it is extremely needs suiting

I am a huge Fuji fanboy, their image processing makes the best looking jpgs out of any camera manufacturer imo. I shoot raw+jpg, but I never touch the raw files anymore, I just keep them for posterity I guess. I just transfer the jpgs to my phone and do some basic cropping and that's it. But you can do cropping, color, exposure, shadow & highlight adjustments right on the camera itself, so I never even touch photoshop or lightroom anymore these days. They also consistently provide feature upgrades to older camera models via firmware updates instead of forcing you to buy the latest model.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 8, 2021

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
been looking for that silver fuji x100v but it was sold out everywhere the last time i looked back in october.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

I have a fuji x100v

very nice pics my main man

fujifilm seem the way to go if you want a point and shoot style camera. lots of word on the street that they just take great photos. I'd love the money to have a camera like that as a daily driver

I was skeptical of mirrorless before I tried it, and wanted to try it to test out the electronic viewfinder, because thats how real photographers use a camera right? but I never thought id use the back screen as much as I do now

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

echinopsis posted:

love a good sky pic. images like this I start to feel conflicted, I've done some aggressive colour manipulation to make it more striking. for this, I may get called a clown.

some say if you want to see realism in photography, buy a newspaper

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

They also consistently provide feature upgrades to older camera models via firmware updates instead of forcing you to buy the latest model.

:qq:

yeah it bugs me a bit that the newer models from mine have features which, at least to my poo poo for brains, seem software only :qq:

I only shoot raw. I always have and haven't really challenged that workflow. spose it works for me. I do like how I can connect directly to my phone wirelessly and download pics, but it converts to jpeg at the time.

I could probably challenge that workflow actually, seeing as now I can make sure I am properly exposed before I take the shot, and there aren't that many pics that i am afraid I'll leave data behind in the shadows or highlights

IF it turns out that 3D LUT transforms in lightroom (profiles, not presets) work on the raw files, well then that is a case for me to use them though, because if that is the case I want them for the equivalent of saturating film and having it do something more interesting than clip. I have a weird obsession with profiles and colour transforms and kind of want to make my own, so as exposure increases (either thru pushing the exposure when taken OR later) it doesn't just push toward white but does something more interesting instead. lets see if thats possible lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

they used to make TWO of these per year lmao

the white looks sick as gently caress

weak. they only made three of these ever:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

some say if you want to see realism in photography, buy a newspaper

its all about something interesting really huh

if its interesting? well it can't be that bad can it.

I am actually a HUGE sucker for things like lens flare and light leaks etc. I'd like to know what you can use to do some fake bloom and lens flare etc, using the data from the photo. the kind of thing davinci resolve does but just on a single pic

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

weak. they only made three of these ever:

gently caress I love a lens

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

you can just put plastic wrap over your lens and smear vaseline on it for weird effects.

or just take the lens off your camera and "free lens" it by simply holding it close to the camera, imperfectly, letting light leaks and poo poo get in. you'd probably have to find the camera setting that lets you take photos with no lens attached

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

long lenses are kind of fun once in a while but i don't get the people who are obsessed with longer and longer and bigger ones. i think they're probably creeps who plan to use them to spy on girls.

a good lens should be small, fast, and radioactive, like this one:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

long lenses are kind of fun once in a while but i don't get the people who are obsessed with longer and longer and bigger ones. i think they're probably creeps who plan to use them to spy on girls.

a good lens should be small, fast, and radioactive, like this one:

i'll bite... why is it radioactive?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the used thorium in the glass to reduce aberrations lol https://camerapedia.fandom.com/wiki/Radioactive_lenses

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in the end it's a miniscule dose. i read a swedish radiology institute study that concluded that a professional photographer carrying a thorium lens on his hip for 6 hours a day, 250 days a year would only increase his radiation dose to 130% of normal sea-level background. and it's mostly low-energy beta, so it's blocked by the metal components of the camera or the fabric of your camera bag anyway.

some old cameras from the 30s have thorium eyepieces, though, and those you'd wanna avoid since putting the radiation source right up against your eyeball is potentially more dangerous than holding it in your hand.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there is enough radiation to see, though! if i mount this lens on my mirrorless camera, put on the lens cap, and set it to maximum sensitivity and 1:1 zoom, i occasionally see single white pixels of noise flickering in the live view. i assume this is from particles hitting the sensor, because it doesn't happen with other lenses that are confirmed non-radioactive. spooky

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I am a huge Fuji fanboy, their image processing makes the best looking jpgs out of any camera manufacturer imo. I shoot raw+jpg, but I never touch the raw files anymore, I just keep them for posterity I guess. I just transfer the jpgs to my phone and do some basic cropping and that's it. But you can do cropping, color, exposure, shadow & highlight adjustments right on the camera itself, so I never even touch photoshop or lightroom anymore these days. They also consistently provide feature upgrades to older camera models via firmware updates instead of forcing you to buy the latest model.

this is really important to me since I don't like editing photos unless they're really amazing, I mostly shoot jpeg and might do some minor crop/straighten or occasional tone editing but my goal is to get the image I want in the viewfinder. I get why people do exposure/focus stacking and all that but I don't have the patience and not dealing with 30mb raw files is so nice. those ones I posted are all straight out of camera except for cropping

I take tons of sky pictures but they're mostly contre jour for that reason

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

dog picture tips:
  • start at 1/500 [I use auto ISO up to 6400 for animals]
  • don't shoot 2.0 or less if you're close, you will get the eyes and miss focus on the nose or vice versa [cats are easier that way]
  • people trying to pose their dogs ruin the picture just take a million of them doing dog stuff
  • getting close is good but once they see you they will try to stick their nose in the lens [this is your best opportunity to pet the dog]

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 8, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

dealing with 30mb raw files

this is me lol

it means I generally go thru and flag the photos I like and delete everything else

which isn't a bad thing anyway, but lame its necessary

but I was born like this

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
this thread is a psyop

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

this is the lens I want to get. the one I used for the rose photo. I think it has a very satisfying girth and shape.

some lens get thicker as they go along. some get thinner

some maintain their meat all along their length. this provides the user with immense gratitude

when I have this back in my hand, believe me, I will take photos with it

I have this lens. i mostly use it taking sharp photos of old slide film on a copy stand with a light table

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

what does this thread have to do with the worlds premiere spy agency?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

I have this lens. i mostly use it taking sharp photos of old slide film on a copy stand with a light table

😩

I can’t wait to have the rented one back in my hands

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

😩

I can’t wait to have the rented one back in my hands

isn’t there an rf version now?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I still want someone to explain the thread title

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
photo i took:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

qirex posted:

I have a fuji x100v it is extremely needs suiting in that I can't waste $800 on a lens if I'm feeling bored, plus I like the dials for everything it makes more sense to my brain than PASM modes. I wish they'd make a 28mm or maybe 24-50 zoom version but that would probably make it huge. anyway it's a good camera I take lots of dog portraits

[missed focus a bit but it's such a nice picture]

qirex at a dog concert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Smythe posted:

photo i took:

nice self portrait