Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Captain Foo posted:

do you have micro spikes for your boots

naw mine are macro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
when I bought a house my mortgage guy arranged the life insurance for my gf, amusingly told me to lie about being a (casual) smoker “eh they never check, just do it, I did the same for my son, it’ll be fine”

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

graph posted:

the state doesnt care lol

idgi?

if I die, Mrs Farmer inherits everything. no estate tax here, and if there's no will it's a straighforward inheritance hierarchy spouse > children > parents > siblings.

if I can't medical descisions for myself, only my wife can make them for me.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

axolotl farmer posted:

and if there's no will it's a straighforward inheritance hierarchy spouse > children > parents > siblings.

you better make absolute sure cuz in america it aint

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Yeah, w/o a will in a lot of states its half spouse, rest children by default. Also in a lot of states if you hand write your will it doesn't need to be witnessed. Just make sure to date it and people know where it's at.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

speaking for america only, if you die and dont leave a will there's a significant likelyhood that your poo poo will be tied up in probate for a good long time, causing hassle and grief for your loved ones.

Spend like a half hour on nolo.com or whatever typing up a legal will that makes things very explicit and put it somewhere everyone knows about.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

You never know when you're gonna die. It might be tomorrow. Get your poo poo straight.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think that is mostly an american weirdness though, in many other places a will works out the other way. makes the process go from a trivial well-defined transfer into a non-standard legal process

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

You never know when you're gonna die. It might be tomorrow.
dont get my hopes up rotor

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FMguru posted:

dont get my hopes up rotor

🤞

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

rotor posted:

You never know when you're gonna die. It might be tomorrow. Get your poo poo straight.

Perhaps a little closer for some of us rather than others, Methusulah

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

TOOT BOOT posted:

Perhaps a little closer for some of us rather than others, Methusulah

idk man i may be old but i aint got like half the ailments some of y'all seem to

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

idk man i may be old but i aint got like half the ailments some of y'all seem to
yeah but your diseases are all like "chalkstones" and "scrumpox" and "the grippe"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

axolotl farmer posted:

I think I have a cracked rib or two. you know what you can do if you have a cracked rib? nothing.

sneezed and it felt like getting stabbed :ese:

i've broken two ribs, first was undocking a boat, second was changing a power steering pump

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Gentle Autist posted:

our christmas party is lawn bowls. summer christmas proves it’s supremacy once again

lawn bowls is the best work christmas party. still have my trophy from last time we played

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FMguru posted:

yeah but your diseases are all like "chalkstones" and "scrumpox" and "the grippe"

"consumption"

"King Herods Evil"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i was enlightened when like i was 30 or something and learned that "colic" just means "is a baby"

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I have dealt with the estates from my parents and grandparent, and the most hassle was to shut down all accounts, subscriptions and memberships.

Had do sent in a scanned death certificate and proof of immediate relationship from the Population registry to close my dads fb account.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

there was a bestselling book here, soon to be an Amy Poehler tv series : The gentle art of Swedish death cleaning. it’s about how you should throw out all your stuff that nobody cares about after you’re dead, but do it when you are still healthy and at full capacity.

get rid of old paperwork, clothes that you don’t wear, the clutter in the kitchen cabinets, books that you won’t read again, digital clutter. leave only the good stuff, and don’t make your poor relatives sort through all your clutter when you’re gone.

I know some healty 75-80 yo people who have started death cleaning, and it seems like a liberating process.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

it's nice to do that for your surviving family but it's also nice to do for yourself. better to have the space to see everything in your closet than a bunch of poo poo you'll never use again

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
throw me in a dumpster and light me on fire.

i'm dead, i'm literally beyond caring.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

ultravoices posted:

throw me in a dumpster and light me on fire.

i'm dead, i'm literally beyond caring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rtu1Va-dnM

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
i want to literally incinerate my remaining wealth and fire my remains into space

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
it is every yosposters final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

composting your body is like the ultimate form of rear end pennies

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

qirex posted:

composting your body is like the ultimate form of rear end pennies

My wife read some book about body farms and was interested in donating her body to science but I told her I'm not real comfortable with that idea unless I die first in which case have at it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

TOOT BOOT posted:

My wife read some book about body farms and was interested in donating her body to science but I told her I'm not real comfortable with that idea unless I die first in which case have at it

kinda weird take tbh

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

kinda weird take tbh

people are weird about death

I'm trying to figure out how to get the state to let my kids bury me on my land. Some places let you but CA doesn't.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

kinda weird take tbh

I feel like burial = closure for me, to some degree anyway.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hate it. light me on fire or throw me to the buzzards. i understand your view though

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
do zoroastrians make you convert or can anyone get into a dakhma

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

psiox posted:

do zoroastrians make you convert or can anyone get into a dakhma
I don't think they let you afaik

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i dont really care what happens to me after im dead. ill probably be cremated i expect.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fart simpson posted:

i dont really care what happens to me after im dead. ill probably be cremated i expect.

thing i learned from when my dad died is the reason for sorting that stuff isn't because you care it's so the ppl that gotta take care of things afterwards don't have to sweat it because they will care.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

gotta be cremation. I don't want to have to live in a box for eternity

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Truman Peyote posted:

gotta be cremation. I don't want to have to live in a box for eternity

youd rather live in an urn?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

fart simpson posted:

Sure, why not? He earned it

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i don't know, never been stuck in an urn before

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

fart simpson posted:

most common burial practice in Sweden is cremation and then spreading the ashes in a minneslund (lit. memorial grove). the minneslund is a section of the cemetary that's marked and roped off. it looks like a lawn or a wooded park.

you leave the ashes with the cemetary, and then a worker will spread or bury the ashes shortly after. you are not allowed to know the exact time, or to be there when they are spread. there are no markers for any people at the minneslund. it's purpously collective and anonymous.

at all hallows eve, people visit the minneslund and place candles there. it's a moving sight with november darkness and candles and lanterns everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

axolotl farmer posted:

most common burial practice in Sweden is cremation and then spreading the ashes in a minneslund (lit. memorial grove). the minneslund is a section of the cemetary that's marked and roped off. it looks like a lawn or a wooded park.

you leave the ashes with the cemetary, and then a worker will spread or bury the ashes shortly after. you are not allowed to know the exact time, or to be there when they are spread. there are no markers for any people at the minneslund. it's purpously collective and anonymous.

at all hallows eve, people visit the minneslund and place candles there. it's a moving sight with november darkness and candles and lanterns everywhere.

this sounds really cool and nice

we spread my dad's ashes in a remote forest near where he grew up in the rocky mountains, there's no way to go back to the exact spot and i'm fine with that