Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

for some reason I forgot about the man named Tesla and thought the guy was talking about Elon Musk being as awesome as a Tesla car, which is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I was behind a new Model 3 yesterday (still had paper plates) and portions of the trunk had absolutely no gap from the rest of the body while other parts had a huge gap, to the extent that I was wondering if it was hard to close the trunk. I can understand your average person not noticing panel gaps but I can't imagine taking delivery of a brand new car that already has issues using the trunk, unless the design is such that those tolerance issues really don't matter. Maybe Tesla has learned how to build around assembly problems so things still function well enough, but that would still require caring about the cars so I don't think that's true.

Chris Knight posted:

Given how unsettling the Plaid is to pilot at that speed, however, you wouldn't want to do 200 mph even if it could. Because it gets up to speed so quickly, we could simply lift off and coast rather than slam on the brakes. But that gave us a lot of time to ponder the Model S's high-speed behavior, which, frankly, was terrifying. It wanders in its lane, with lots of slop on center in the steering that doesn't have anything to do with the yoke. Putting it in the sport steering setting helped a little, but it's like Tesla neglected to dial in its high-speed steering and handling behavior. This is not what you want when traveling two-thirds the distance of a football field every second. Tick. Tick. Every other car that's in the same conversation—from the Porsche Taycan to the Bugatti Chiron—is unerring and locked on its lane at 150-plus mph.

Good thing they don't have poorly cast suspension parts that break from normal usage.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

the genesis of British early warning radar research was someone asking the Tizard Committee about German death rays in the 30s

they did some math and said “no that’s not possible because of the inverse square law but I bet with a big enough antenna you could detect reflected energy off airplanes”
Is that true? Pretty cool if so.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

MomJeans420 posted:

I was behind a new Model 3 yesterday (still had paper plates) and portions of the trunk had absolutely no gap from the rest of the body while other parts had a huge gap, to the extent that I was wondering if it was hard to close the trunk. I can understand your average person not noticing panel gaps but I can't imagine taking delivery of a brand new car that already has issues using the trunk, unless the design is such that those tolerance issues really don't matter. Maybe Tesla has learned how to build around assembly problems so things still function well enough, but that would still require caring about the cars so I don't think that's true.

Good thing they don't have poorly cast suspension parts that break from normal usage.

or brakes that catch fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahLMzBTg0gw

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
halt and catch fire (the halting part is optional)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

FMguru posted:

halt and catch fire

hahahahaha

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

halt and catch fire (the halting part is optional)
lmao

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Elon Musk: halt and catch fire

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

Is that true? Pretty cool if so.

not really, no - it was one of those things that happens a lot with technology where loads of people independently discovered about 80% of the knowledge and techniques required, but never really appreciated what they had. the germans and the british both noticed that passing metallic objects caused radio interference even before the first world war, and the americans were playing around with detecting ships by the drop in signal strength when they passed between a transmitter and receiver, but it wasn't until the very eve of ww2 that everyone started to put everything together.

there's a kernel of truth to it though - the cavity magnetron, which was essential for making radars small enough and robust enough to be carried on planes (and cheap and reliable enough to be used in microwave ovens), *did* come out of research into focusing radio waves enough to destroy planes in the air, although it wasn't considered powerful enough for this and so was forgotten for a couple of years

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Chris Knight posted:

Elon Musk: halt and catch fire

"Tesla: Halt and Catch Firetruck" is probably still the best title this thread ever had.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

LanceHunter posted:

"Tesla: Halt and Catch Firetruck" is probably still the best title this thread ever had.
that's the one I was trying to remember! :cheers: let's bring er back

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

not really, no - it was one of those things that happens a lot with technology where loads of people independently discovered about 80% of the knowledge and techniques required, but never really appreciated what they had. the germans and the british both noticed that passing metallic objects caused radio interference even before the first world war, and the americans were playing around with detecting ships by the drop in signal strength when they passed between a transmitter and receiver, but it wasn't until the very eve of ww2 that everyone started to put everything together.

there's a kernel of truth to it though - the cavity magnetron, which was essential for making radars small enough and robust enough to be carried on planes (and cheap and reliable enough to be used in microwave ovens), *did* come out of research into focusing radio waves enough to destroy planes in the air, although it wasn't considered powerful enough for this and so was forgotten for a couple of years

yeah, the British were doing research into weather radar and everyone knew about detecting ships with radio waves, it wasn’t until that was asked that the scientists put 2 and 2 together and realized you could detect airplanes as easily as you could thunderstorms with the right equipment

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
lol at using radar to detect planes, a couple webcams and our advanced neural network can do the job just as well or better

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also dont forget that we owe microwave ovens to a melted chocolate bar in a technician's pocket

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

at one point the British got the Germans to give up on radio navigation for bombers because their system was close enough to the frequency of BBC television for them to use the transmitter in London to blast garbage and overload the receivers

the pilots blamed the ground stations and the ground stations blamed the pilots and Hitler said gently caress it and cancelled the whole thing as a waste of resources

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
tesla: HCF or KIL trying

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
cybertuck '78

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

also dont forget that we owe microwave ovens to a melted chocolate bar in a technician's pocket

i will continue thanking the Men In Black for this alien technology

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/rajbrueggemann/status/1464051515723853833

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

:five:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

:sickos:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

at one point the British got the Germans to give up on radio navigation for bombers because their system was close enough to the frequency of BBC television for them to use the transmitter in London to blast garbage and overload the receivers

the pilots blamed the ground stations and the ground stations blamed the pilots and Hitler said gently caress it and cancelled the whole thing as a waste of resources
amazing how much can go wrong when the guy in charge is so methed out and paranoid that he arbitrarily gets rid of people and entire projects on a whim, isn't it?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

big scary monsters posted:

lol at using radar to detect planes, a couple webcams and our advanced neural network can do the job just as well or better

just look in the sky and point, they have played us for absolute fools.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

someone slip elon the wiki article on acoustic location and a note telling him microphones are even cheaper than webcams

although i assume tesla build quality and panel gaps would absolutely ruin the effectiveness of the war tuba:

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

turbocharging the fart app

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

someone slip elon the wiki article on acoustic location and a note telling him microphones are even cheaper than webcams

although i assume tesla build quality and panel gaps would absolutely ruin the effectiveness of the war tuba:

ah, the precursor to the war wall of sound

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

GWBBQ posted:

amazing how much can go wrong when the guy in charge is so methed out and paranoid that he arbitrarily gets rid of people and entire projects on a whim, isn't it?

:thunk:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

this is actually a cause for tesla stock to go up

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1469153995428085762?s=20

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Agile Vector posted:

big theranos energy there and like theranos, tesla's valuation relies on the unproven claims of a little prick

lmbo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol mercedes got level 3 certification in germany for the autobahn before tesla max allowed speed 60kph

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qirex posted:

lol mercedes got level 3 certification in germany for the autobahn before tesla max allowed speed 60kph

going 60kph on the autobahn is probably more dangerous than any self driving system. it's the legal minimum, but everyone will be flying up behind you going at least twice that, even in the slow lane

mystes
May 31, 2006

Why isn't this a poll?!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm struggling to imagine a way he isn't already 100% an influencer, I guess it's possible he still makes product decisions about teslas but his primary job is twitter cheerleader

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

I'm struggling to imagine a way he isn't already 100% an influencer, I guess it's possible he still makes product decisions about teslas but his primary job is twitter cheerleader
He's more like a mascot or one of those dog mayors.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mystes posted:

He's more like a mascot or one of those dog mayors.

this is a terrible slur against the best mayors in the world

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

there have been multiple attempts at proposing high speed rail between vegas and la. somehow none of them have gone anywhere

similarly with the monorail in vegas, which could be easily improved by adding service to the airport. instead we got the Tesla Tube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

xi jinping please, my county, america, yearns for transit