Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I would say the native quest 2 library is actually pretty great. Tons of stuff on there not to mention free VR ports of HL:1, Quake 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein. GORILLA TAG. Vrchat is on the native quest2 hardware and has a cool world where you can watch movies in a virtual theater with your friends.

Eleven table tennis and walkabout mini golf are on quest and are thread favorites. All the great workout stuff is native on the headset. It's laughably easy to pirate all of these things and no one has ever been banned for it. Great stuff

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

CzarChasm posted:

Ok, in this scenario if I went with a quest, out of the box, I don't need to upgrade my PC's video card, but I can still hook it up to my PC to get access to a game library. The "self contained" part means that the helmet has hardware, that is doing the extra processing, that I would otherwise be putting into my PC?

For games on your PC, the quest just acts as a headset. The headset does no extra processing (other than decoding the encoded stream made on your computer so it can be sent over USB or wifi.)

If anything to play PCVR games with a quest you need a slightly more powerful GPU, because there's a little extra overhead and because the quest is higher resolution than some of the other headsets.

Other games can be run entirely on the Quest, but this is limited to games built specifically for the Quest (a version of Android running on an arm CPU) There, the quest isn't doing extra processing, it's doing all the processing, it doesn't need a PC at all. You can't play, for example, HL:Alyx this way.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I guess that's the part I'm trying to figure out.

A Quest is a standalone unit. It has an available library of games, which is probably just fine for my wants.

I don't need a PC to hook it up, or configure it, or use it. I open the box, charge it, put the helmet on my head, run a setup, and I'm good to go. $400 (for larger memory option) and I'm set.

That's option 1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Option 2

PCVR of some brand or another

I need to buy the helmet kit from whoever. Price range for the hardware is $800-$1000 depending on manufacturer. This probably also includes wall mounted sensors, which can track movement more accurately than the standalone (?)

This VR helmet will need to be connected to a PC, meaning that the PC needs to meet some minimum specs to run the games smoothly. In my case I have everything but the video card. My current is a 7 year old Nvidia that was maybe mid level at the time. So if I want the best experience, I'll likely have to pay for a decent card upgrade on top of the VR hardware.

These VR systems have more flexibility than standalone, but have the added complication of wires needing to be plugged in to PC and power supplies constantly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, do I have things correct?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Not really, because the Quest is both option 1 and option 2.

You can use the Quest/2 completely standalone for the entirety of its life. If you want to use it as PCVR you can do so by hooking up a cable or connecting via wifi to your PC. In that case it is functionally identical to all other PCVR headsets. Literally the only downside to a Quest 2 is that it requires a Facebook account to login (for now). If you don't mind a FB account there is practically zero reason to buy any other headset, which is why they are dominating the VR market now.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
the quest 2 can be one of the headsets you consider for option 2. In addition to its built-in library it can do wireless PCVR at 120hz which is better (to some) than any other headset

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's best to think of the Quest as being two devices in one, where the PC functionality is completely walled off from the standalone functionality - you select Link, the standalone interface goes away, and the PC takes over entirely. Exit Link, the PC disconnects entirely and the standalone OS springs back to life. One or the other, no real interconnectivity between the two except for battery notifications.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

CzarChasm posted:

I guess that's the part I'm trying to figure out.

A Quest is a standalone unit. It has an available library of games, which is probably just fine for my wants.

I don't need a PC to hook it up, or configure it, or use it. I open the box, charge it, put the helmet on my head, run a setup, and I'm good to go. $400 (for larger memory option) and I'm set.

That's option 1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Option 2

PCVR of some brand or another

I need to buy the helmet kit from whoever. Price range for the hardware is $800-$1000 depending on manufacturer. This probably also includes wall mounted sensors, which can track movement more accurately than the standalone (?)

This VR helmet will need to be connected to a PC, meaning that the PC needs to meet some minimum specs to run the games smoothly. In my case I have everything but the video card. My current is a 7 year old Nvidia that was maybe mid level at the time. So if I want the best experience, I'll likely have to pay for a decent card upgrade on top of the VR hardware.

These VR systems have more flexibility than standalone, but have the added complication of wires needing to be plugged in to PC and power supplies constantly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, do I have things correct?

Its not a helmet. Please don't call it that.

The quest is also a PCVR headset.
Just buy the quest.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJQzUsZFAZI
The start of the trailer made me think 'Borderlands + Minions'

I'm thinking Gorkamorka VR after watching the whole thing. Changing the critters to green would draw a lawsuit from GW, but properly approached could get a license.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

8-bit Miniboss posted:

130 is pricey. I was thinking of going with Reloptix as they claim flat rate on all their lenses at 80 bucks including blue filters and high index prescriptions.

Yeah I did basically zero research because someone linked it and I was like oh man I should get those. :v: Admittedly, the Reloptix ones look a lot nicer in terms of the actual plastic assembly but the VR Wave ones aren't bad.

Pretty sure these lenses came out of China so I'm curious how they got them as quick as they did. The entire turnaround for it was two and a half weeks.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

the quest 2 can be one of the headsets you consider for option 2. In addition to its built-in library it can do wireless PCVR at 120hz which is better (to some) than any other headset

Ah, OK. That makes a lot of sense then.

Thanks everybody for clarifying my issues. I really appreciate it.

EbolaIvory posted:

Its not a helmet. Please don't call it that.

Got it.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

this. until something else comes out, IMO no other headset even comes close.

also people tend to vastly underestimate the native quest 2 library. despite having a beefy and capable PC, i spend 99% of my VR time just playing native quest games, because it has been so much easier to convince my friends to get a quest 2 than to get a PC

JUNGLE BOY fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 8, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

So what are the must-have Quest 2 accessories if you're planning to use this thing a lot?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Turin Turambar posted:

In any case it seems things are really going to change in the next update, where cities can splinter into kingdom and they can fight each other.

Yeah it definitely needs that competitive element. A reason to use those offensive miracles dammit!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Black Hole Pool. There was a point where the dev changed the environment and changed radically how the controls worked. It was unplayable to me, I was pissed and wrote a negative review. He did a pretty bad job at replying the review, he basically denied there was an update in the first place, saying maybe I was in a beta. Like uhhh? You are the dev of the game, you should know what are your beta players or if there is a beta in the first place (I'm a regular customer). Denying there was an update was hilarious, because the entire environment changed from a flat to a moody pub. Like, how anyone is going to miss that change.
In any case, I will give him props in one thing: despite his bad handling of PR, weeks later he updated the controls to be usable again so he really took the feedback I gave him. The new environment is very nice, it has AI and multiplayer, the physics are excellent, the graphics are good, it has youtube integrated so you can put whatever music you want, so I can recommend it for :10bux: , if you like pool in RL. The only flaw right now is that the AI at medium difficulty still makes too many penalties.
Still, it's a 'Early Access' game, and I hope the game will get some new features. Like alternative games beyond 8-ball, or a replay feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7-_4kE5A5Q

How annoying is it to play without holding a physical cue?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

lunar detritus posted:

I've been playing it and that part isn't bad for me. The tough part for me is playing pool without a physical pool table to lean down on. You can adjust the height of the pool table to be higher so you don't have to lean over so much, which feels weird to me, or just kind of lean over and line up your shot in the air. You do lock your front hand once you have it in position before you take the shot, which helps a bit. There's been a few times when I expect to play it for awhile that I've dragged out a folding card table that I have just to be able to lean over onto it and brace my front hand.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

JUNGLE BOY posted:

this. until something else comes out, IMO no other headset even comes close.

also people tend to vastly underestimate the native quest 2 library. despite having a beefy and capable PC, i spend 99% of my VR time just playing native quest games, because it has been so much easier to convince my friends to get a quest 2 than to get a PC

Only nerds and PC loyalists sleep on native quest stuff.

Yeah sure, some games graphics are lower, ok? Its still amazing. Then one can argue its the "best" consumer PCVR headset as well. Zero setup outside of some software and maybe minor tinkering. But less work than setting up light houses and poo poo.

This threads generally pretty warped when it comes to normal people tbh. We're all enthusiasts and put up with serious bullshit that average folks wouldn't. All in the sake of PCVR GRAPHIXXXX. I'm guilty of it. Quest sitting here, with a das, and vrcover and all kinds of poo poo. Nope, I plug my index in, fire up light houses.

But if my rear end was about to play some bowling, or a quick couple rounds of synth riders? Naw, slapping my quest on and playing in the yard. Consumer me continues to grow.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I've been playing it and that part isn't bad for me. The tough part for me is playing pool without a physical pool table to lean down on.

I grew up playing in pool leagues.

I cannot play pool in VR without a physical table in the area to lean on. My brain will NOT let me play and my rear end will fall down. I have no idea how ya'll can do it. It breaks my god drat smooth brain so hard.

Manager Hoyden posted:

So what are the must-have Quest 2 accessories if you're planning to use this thing a lot?

https://amzn.to/3IxpQ96

We like ours a lot. Been nice to not have to think about battery at all.

https://amzn.to/31JnrHE

Gonna need a DAS imo.

Tho if you don't wanna mess with that. The Kiwi one we have on our second quest is pretty solid.

https://amzn.to/33gWbkx

VR Cover or Kiwi replacement for your interface. I hate the stock ones with a passion. Kiwi one we have is holding up on the girls headset just fine and its pretty comfy. Could be thicker tho. I like the VRCover ones myself.

https://amzn.to/31JnL9k

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 8, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sony did a VR thing https://kotaku.com/sony-shows-the-future-of-next-gen-vr-with-prototype-hea-1848171408

I'm gonna poo poo if the Vita 2 is a Quest competitor

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

EbolaIvory posted:

I grew up playing in pool leagues.

I cannot play pool in VR without a physical table in the area to lean on. My brain will NOT let me play and my rear end will fall down. I have no idea how ya'll can do it. It breaks my god drat smooth brain so hard.

there's a game on steam that's pool but you stand on the table and use a putter

I've never played it but it seems like a clever way to do pool in VR

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tip posted:

there's a game on steam that's pool but you stand on the table and use a putter

I've never played it but it seems like a clever way to do pool in VR

Golf Pool VR. Its fun but its, just mini golf pool tbh.

EDIT: It'd be cool for meetings and stuff but then again theres golf+ and mini golf stuff now thats more fun.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

lunar detritus posted:

It's an approximation of the real thing, it isn't a 1-for-1 simulation like in Eleven TT or something like that. You place the cue however you want moving the two controller and then lock the cue in position by holding a trigger, then you do the 'push' movement with the right controller, even if the real position doesn't correspond anymore with what it should be. This is where the limitations of the Quest are an issue, like not having good tracking behind you (so it can't tract the normal realistic movement of the right hand while setting up a shot).

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
New Walkabout Mini Golf course drops on the 18th!

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1468649339581046784/pu/vid/1280x720/pqbF08DLaw4mNfG8.mp4?tag=12

Looks nice and chill!

I hope the new avatar stuff is in too so I'll be able to wear the horns they made for me! :D

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Can the native quest run above 72hz or is that just when you use it as a PCVR set?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, it goes up to 120hz, but I think some apps still run at 90hz. You may not even notice the difference tbh.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Can the native quest run above 72hz or is that just when you use it as a PCVR set?

Yes, I think lots of games are 90hz.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Goddam. I finally start Cyberpunk 2077 and this news comes out: https://uploadvr.com/cyberpunk-vr-mod-coming-january/

Guess I'll wait a little longer before getting into it.

edit: Nevermind, this dude's mods require using the gamepad still. Might as well continue playing it on flatscreen.

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 8, 2021

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sony did a VR thing https://kotaku.com/sony-shows-the-future-of-next-gen-vr-with-prototype-hea-1848171408

Those concept pictures are baffling me, are they just off in their own lane ignoring all the lens development everyone else has been doing to mitigate the need for a giant box sticking out half a foot in front of your face? I'm not clever enough to get much out of the provided photographs of the prototype, but it does look pretty bulky for something that (probably) isn't including a battery.

e: OK, the video has some better views of the prototype and it really doesn't look like it needs to be that bulky. Probably just didn't bother producing a new concept image, I guess?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Irony.or.Death posted:

Those concept pictures are baffling me, are they just off in their own lane ignoring all the lens development everyone else has been doing to mitigate the need for a giant box sticking out half a foot in front of your face? I'm not clever enough to get much out of the provided photographs of the prototype, but it does look pretty bulky for something that (probably) isn't including a battery.

e: OK, the video has some better views of the prototype and it really doesn't look like it needs to be that bulky. Probably just didn't bother producing a new concept image, I guess?

It isn't the first time I read this comment (basically the same comment in another forum) and I can say, people are missing the forest for the trees.

It's R&D for hardware panel . The important thing shown there isn't a headset, there is no prototype for headset in the video. The important thing is this

They are literally using some makeshift contraption to put two of those connected to a computer in front of their eyes. That's why they didn't bother to even make a head strap, and instead use two handles.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Alright, I'm kinda getting sick of my Reverb G2.
It's clunky, temperamental and overall kind of a pain. Has anyone tried to get a refund after the first 30 days? I'm just outside the window.

Also, I haaaaaaaaaaaate Facebook but am willing to make a dummy account if I can get a Quest 2 secondhand. How's the market for that? Anything I should look out for?

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

It's clunky, temperamental and overall kind of a pain. Has anyone tried to get a refund after the first 30 days? I'm just outside the window.

Also, I haaaaaaaaaaaate Facebook but am willing to make a dummy account if I can get a Quest 2 secondhand. How's the market for that? Anything I should look out for?

Give it a test run but biggest issues are any structural damage like a cracked case or hosed audio and obviously scratches or chips in the lenses or sunlight damage to the lenses. Make sure the controllers track well and the buttons all work, tracking ring isn’t cracked.

I grabbed my 256 for $200 off someone and it was a great decision. ymmv tho it’s always possible you get hosed over so it may just be worth it to shell out the $400 (or 300 if your primary use case is PCVR)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If you're in the US, one of the big stores is doing refurbs of the 64GB model for $200, so if you're mainly playing PCVR then it's a no-brainer.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Inzombiac posted:

People are contacting oculus support and successfully unlinking facebook accounts now.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

Goddam. I finally start Cyberpunk 2077 and this news comes out: https://uploadvr.com/cyberpunk-vr-mod-coming-january/

Guess I'll wait a little longer before getting into it.

edit: Nevermind, this dude's mods require using the gamepad still. Might as well continue playing it on flatscreen.

Night City is absolutely gorgeous, I'd wait for the mod just to walk through it even if it requires using a gamepad.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah it won't have motion controls but with working stereo and not having to use that 2d to 3d app that seems janky

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Anyone know if the Quest 2 is OK with hidden SSIDs? I remembered I have an unused AC router in my closet that I could use to dedicate to it but I don't want to publicize it.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

It isn't the first time I read this comment (basically the same comment in another forum) and I can say, people are missing the forest for the trees.

It's R&D for hardware panel . The important thing shown there isn't a headset, there is no prototype for headset in the video. The important thing is this

They are literally using some makeshift contraption to put two of those connected to a computer in front of their eyes. That's why they didn't bother to even make a head strap, and instead use two handles.

Yeah that's fair and the video does a much better job showing things off than the article + photos. It just seemed strange to include those concept shots in the presentation at all, but that's probably on the media outlet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I brought it up in the PSVR thread, but this points to a couple of things I suspected for a while and tells us a bit more about the shape of PSVR2;

• Sony's investing in general VR development, not just iterating out a PSVR successor.
  • Whatever PSVR's successor is, it's almost certainly a headset compatible with PC and PS5 (because they want into the telepresence VR market, and they've been pushing into PC gaming releases)
  • And yeah, given they're apparently doing general VR development I would not be at all surprised to see a standalone Playstation VR headset within the next few years.

I don't think what they're immediately going to spit out next will be that Quest competitor though, because we've seen the controllers and they don't really say "portable device" to me with their near-spherical design. Probably something a little high-end as a testbed for their development so far, and to show off the PS5, and then iterate out the standalone device afterwards.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
How is the Quest 2 for movie watching? How does the resolution compare to watching 1080p on your monitor?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Works pretty well. Very comfortable if you use the default strap to rest your head flat against a recliner/sofa/laying down

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
I just can't get my Quest 2 comfortable. I've tried elite strap, DAS with adapter, I keep going back to the Rift S for any serious vr sessions. I would love it to bits if it was more comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Got that spare AC router setup and oh yeah, Air Link works much better and the key thing, *consistent*. I had issues with it detecting my PC plus having to re-pair constantly prior.