Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Even by TV+ standards it didn't seem to have any impact at all so it wouldn't surprise me if they did quietly pull the plug early and no-one noticed.

In other news I'm glad that the Mariah Carey christmas special looks like it's going to become an annual thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

vote_no posted:

Did Jon Stewart’s show get canceled? I thought there was supposed to be one this week and the TV database sites no longer list any upcoming episodes, but I don’t see any news about it.

That would be the best thing, Jon Stewart just should've retired from entertainment entirely after 1/20/2009 and/or put his body in a cryopod that was shot in the direction of Alpha Centauri.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The Jon Stewart thing was weird, like he wanted to make Last Week Tonight but kind of half arsed it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i like the jon stewart show. it is basically an extended form of the segments i liked from his incarnation of the daily show: silly monologue jokes plus some bits of reporter-y research into societal issues, so i guess it makes sense that i would like it

e: it looks like the first season is only 4 episodes long, but apple has said there will be multiple seasons https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Problem_with_Jon_Stewart

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

njsykora posted:

In other news I'm glad that the Mariah Carey christmas special looks like it's going to become an annual thing.

gently caress yeah.

I will stand by the 90s Mariah concert in Japan that got a HD release last year being just a stunning release. It’s so rare to get something in that era that was shot on video not look like rear end, and the fact it’s Mariah in her absolute prime? I’m gonna watch it a thousand times.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
HAHA Dickinson this week, holy fuckin poo poo

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Anybody been watching "The Shrink Next Door"? I'm really liking it, Paul Rudd and Will Ferrell are really good together, both of them playing against type a bit, with Rudd as a manipulative therapist and Ferrell as a wealthy, meek guy who slowly gets sucked into Rudd's social-climbing machinations.

It's kind of like a darker, reverse "What About Bob".

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I watch it. It’s super loving depressing lol. The ending to today’s episode……gently caress me

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah I watch it. It’s super loving depressing lol. The ending to today’s episode……gently caress me

Yea I just watched it. That was actually kind of shocking, uhg.

The episode before this one, when they go to the Hampton's house because Rudd learns his father died also had a hell of ending. I think it was one of Rudd's best pieces of acting, when he turns utterly dark and starts screaming all sorts of manipulative psychological attacks at Ferrell, culminating in Ferrell sadly cutting down a really pretty tree that he was attached to.

The show definitely is not what you think of when you see that Paul Rudd and Will Ferrell are making a miniseries about a mean therapist. What's even crazier is that it's a true story.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Oh it’s out! I’ll have to check it, I love the podcast and it’s very hooooy boy what?!?

In a similar vein if you like it you might enjoy Dirty John - not the same of course but similarish ground.

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

invasion is, by a wide margin, the worst new show this season lmao

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Then have i got bad news for you!

https://deadline.com/2021/12/invasion-renewed-season-2-apple-1234887049/

(Now you've got that out of your system, Apple, renew Swagger already.)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just saw Servant S3 is back on January 21. Can't wait.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
Finished For All Mankind earlier this week, I've still got some free time left for somethjing-or-the-other, what's another show I might really enjoy binge watching? I didn't love the inter character melodrama as much as the broader societal stuff, but I looove shows based on character development, if that helps.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is "Welcome to Earth" any good?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Azhais posted:

Is "Welcome to Earth" any good?

It doesn't looks particularly interesting, but the fact that Darren Aronofsky is involved makes me want to check it out.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I haven't checked it out yet either but I'm just delighted they went with that title

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't really explain why but I am loving obsessed with this song right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJIo5h5bFqg

It's not a metaphor, oh no, it's something more! It's a... literal bridge!

Sister, get that mister! Go get 'im!

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Twas the fight before Christmas is quite good..

Crini
Sep 2, 2011
Invasion must be sponsored by the American Association of Paint Drying Enthusiasts.

I feel like there’s a good show in there somewhere. Some of the acting is pretty good and for the most part I’m impressed with how good it looks. But man is it slow.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Crini posted:

Invasion must be sponsored by the American Association of Paint Drying Enthusiasts.

I feel like there’s a good show in there somewhere. Some of the acting is pretty good and for the most part I’m impressed with how good it looks. But man is it slow.

I do think it picked up in the back half but even then every episode has scenes that could have been half the length they wound up being. It got renewed before the finale aired though, so I guess the paint watching lobby is pretty powerful! :v:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I’m watching the penultimate episode of Invasion and at the end all the characters in the US, Japan and London look up in the sky and see the same nuclear explosion. That’s not how a round planet works.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Yes, please
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTqlZkvbNVg

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ever since "Ghosted" bombed out after one season (that had a dramatic re-tool in the middle) and I saw him hosting a game show I was worried about Adam Scott; glad to see him get a promising role like that.

e: Also always pumped to see Zach Cherry!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Maybe someone can do a super cut of the cool parts of Invasion.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

smackfu posted:

Maybe someone can do a super cut of the cool parts of Invasion.

https://youtu.be/tATNYnFTetg

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Don't know if it's emmy-worthy, but after watching all of it, I loved Will Ferrell's quiter, subdued performance in Shrink next door. Hope he'll at least get a nod, along with Hahn and Rudd in Supporting Roles as well.
Or would Rudd's titular part be considered the main role and Ferrell supporting?

End credit cards were a big oof.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

This is TOTALLY unfair.

The intro is pretty decent.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

This is TOTALLY unfair.

The intro is pretty decent.

That one 30 minute episode was a decent horror short.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I haven't watched Invasion but it's the first TV+ show that I've seen get almost universal hate instead of just indifference.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

njsykora posted:

I haven't watched Invasion but it's the first TV+ show that I've seen get almost universal hate instead of just indifference.

I've only watched one and a half episodes, but I enjoyed it.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

There’s a good show buried somewhere in the 10 episodes they aired, but I really hope that they figure out their pacing issues for the second season. Things pick up a bit and move better after the 30 minute episode, but there are still way too many instances of them lingering way too long on things.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Invasion is 10 episodes of a good 5-episode show.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The most unrealistic thing about The Shrink Next Door was that in the final scene of the series Paul Rudd looked old, which we all know will never happen.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Comrade Fakename posted:

The most unrealistic thing about The Shrink Next Door was that in the final scene of the series Paul Rudd looked old, which we all know will never happen.

It would have really cut into the drama, but I would have sorta liked the meta joke that everyone gets older as the story progresses, except for his character.

gently caress this leech of a character and by that measure, also gently caress the real life person this is based on.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Swagger finale was really good. Great show. Don’t sleep on it

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

mcbexx posted:

Don't know if it's emmy-worthy, but after watching all of it, I loved Will Ferrell's quiter, subdued performance in Shrink next door. Hope he'll at least get a nod, along with Hahn and Rudd in Supporting Roles as well.
Or would Rudd's titular part be considered the main role and Ferrell supporting?

End credit cards were a big oof.

I would consider Ferrell's character to be the main one, the story is really about him and what happens to his life when he meets up with Rudd.

And yea that whole last episode was so intense as we see what's happened to Marty's life, with Ike having convinced him to alienate so many people for so many years. When his sister realizes just how hosed up Ike is and what he'd done to Marty for so many years, them burning all that stuff together was so cathartic to see.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 19, 2021

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Tumble posted:

I would consider Ferrell's character to be the main one, the story is really about him and what happens to his life when he meets up with Rudd.

And yea that whole last episode was so intense as we see what's happened to Marty's life, with Ike having convinced him to alienate so many people for so many years. When his sister realizes just how hosed up Ike is and what he'd done to Marty for so many years, them burning all that stuff together was so cathartic to see.

Marty finding out about Ike's interference with Hannah was the biggest gut punch.

Edit: I meant in the final episode.
I fully agree the cherry tree was the low point overall.
vvvvv

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 20, 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I think the tree episode was the darkest. That part where Ike was berating Marty and he was crying, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
If nothing else Invasion gave us the least likeable character of 2021, US army soldier man. rear end in a top hat to everyone he meets, shouting, confrontational, constantly threatening with his gun. Even his “redemption/explanation” ark at the end made him out as an rear end in a top hat. gently caress that guy.