Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The show is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The show is pretty good.

Pret-tay pret-tay good

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Phobos Anomaly posted:

I mean he fires 3 chefs from his restaurant because he felt like it.

lol thats a really good season

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Phobos Anomaly posted:

This show is absolute dog poo poo. It needs a laugh track so I can tell when something funny supposedly happens. So far I laugh maybe 3 times per season. Larry David is a complete narcissist with absolutely no self or social awareness and doesn't give a flying gently caress about anyone around him. The first three seasons he's a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone around him and noone (except Susie, after the fact) ever calls him out for it. I mean he fires 3 chefs from his restaurant because he felt like it. And then half way through season 4 all of a sudden he's the victim and everyone around him is the overreacting rear end in a top hat. Except he's still completely unable to recognize social boundaries and just pisses people off the longer he talks, which is always too long. His friends are morons who never tell him to stfu before he says something stupid, and none of them attempt to explain or mitigate anything he says or does. And that's what really needs to happen. Someone telling this social retard to just shut the flying gently caress up, but noone does.

None of this is funny. It's just infuriating. The main character is an annoying rear end in a top hat, and shits on everyone around him with no consideration for them at all. Supposed to be funny right? He can never see when he's pissing someone off and just keeps on going. I'm sure that's supposed to be funny too. Can he just not understand when someone says "no"? Is the guy a sociopath? Is the show trying to turn a sociopath into a someone to laugh at?

Comparisons to Seinfeld are inevitable. George Costanza gets caught in the same kind of misunderstandings, but never drags out the situation with pointless monologues. He also has Jerry and Elaine to warn him when he's about to do something stupid. His story arcs are also interspersed with actual humor. None of which happens in CYE, where Larry is just the unrestrained social retard, pissing off everyone around him and being completely oblivious to it. Hilarious I'm sure.

i mean you could have just stopped watching it after like two or three episodes, you know

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Phobos Anomaly posted:

This show is absolute dog poo poo. It needs a laugh track so I can tell when something funny supposedly happens. So far I laugh maybe 3 times per season. Larry David is a complete narcissist with absolutely no self or social awareness and doesn't give a flying gently caress about anyone around him. The first three seasons he's a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone around him and noone (except Susie, after the fact) ever calls him out for it. I mean he fires 3 chefs from his restaurant because he felt like it. And then half way through season 4 all of a sudden he's the victim and everyone around him is the overreacting rear end in a top hat. Except he's still completely unable to recognize social boundaries and just pisses people off the longer he talks, which is always too long. His friends are morons who never tell him to stfu before he says something stupid, and none of them attempt to explain or mitigate anything he says or does. And that's what really needs to happen. Someone telling this social retard to just shut the flying gently caress up, but noone does.

None of this is funny. It's just infuriating. The main character is an annoying rear end in a top hat, and shits on everyone around him with no consideration for them at all. Supposed to be funny right? He can never see when he's pissing someone off and just keeps on going. I'm sure that's supposed to be funny too. Can he just not understand when someone says "no"? Is the guy a sociopath? Is the show trying to turn a sociopath into a someone to laugh at?

Comparisons to Seinfeld are inevitable. George Costanza gets caught in the same kind of misunderstandings, but never drags out the situation with pointless monologues. He also has Jerry and Elaine to warn him when he's about to do something stupid. His story arcs are also interspersed with actual humor. None of which happens in CYE, where Larry is just the unrestrained social retard, pissing off everyone around him and being completely oblivious to it. Hilarious I'm sure.

Why are you forcing yourself to watch it? Did you lose a bet or are you just a schmohawk?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Phobos Anomaly posted:

Mocha Joe alt spotted

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’m currently living through the middling episode. Stuck at the head of a table, terrible middle. The middles are literally on their phones.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Phobos Anomaly posted:

This show is absolute dog poo poo. It needs a laugh track so I can tell when something funny supposedly happens.

it's a show about an overprivileged neurotic rear end in a top hat who doesn't think rules or social contracts apply to him but believes everyone else is beholden to any contract he invents on the spot or has long held that stance. He's also incredibly rich, famous, insensitive, selfish, and the show is based around and created by him so he gets to push his shittiest qualities to the extreme because that is not how you expect normal people to behave and some people in his orbit tolerate it in order to facilitate the events, which usually fail anyway exactly because of Larry's shittiness. They don't need a laugh track and they definitely already go to painstaking ends to point out exactly how big of an rear end in a top hat Larry is, the only exceptions being when it would itself be a problem (needing to maintain social contact, professional relationship, favours,all the various ways people can become connected in society, sometimes through rube-goldberg-like degrees of separation) or a impolite to ream him, and even then, he is so extreme very often people snap and lay out exactly whatever his lovely deal is. Every episode basically features a new person who learns almost immediately how insufferable Larry is.

Larry is infuriating, he's awful, and he always hoists himself up from his own shittiness. It's satisfying to see bad things happen to him, you want them to, you overcome protagonist-bias to get the catharsis or anyone and everyone loving with him. People asking why you keep watching, but I say, keep going. Larry only gets worse as a person really and if you hate him as much as you seem to, just figure out how to enjoy watching him eat poo poo, often after being a smug prick, and often insincerely, which itself backfires on him.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Larry is my spirit animal.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Larry is awesome. You are as bad as the woman taking 10 samples at the ice cream place

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
im more like a goblin larry with no clout, influence, or wealth refusing to shake peoples' hands because I know they poo poo-wiping bidetless creeps and chasing down this car in foot because they honked and startled me and some lady's dog, just to tell them gently caress you

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Larry loving rules and I wish I could pull off half the poo poo he does and says. He speaks gospel.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Phobos Anomaly posted:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I love this episode where Larry's getting high with Monena and his dad and they're both having a good time but Larry is spacing out quiet, then goes to the bathroom and argues with himself through two aspects of himself.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I cannot imagine EVER not laughing at Susie’s delivery of decap-a-TAY-TEED in this line

Or at Larry doing a favor for Cheryl’s family only to have the obituary read “Beloved oval office”

and that’s just the first two things that come to mind, the first two of dozens of things, what is wrong with you man

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
I got a big kick out of the councilwoman saying she doesn't need a club to read a book

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Khanstant posted:

I love this episode where Larry's getting high with Monena and his dad and they're both having a good time but Larry is spacing out quiet, then goes to the bathroom and argues with himself through two aspects of himself.

I'm not a huge stoner but I watched that episode when it first aired when I was high, and even though it wasn't my favorite Curb ep, I don't know if I ever laughed as hard at the show until then. It wasn't even when they were all stoned, it was him and Monena ("I will pull out a titty in here") and Hurley the drug dealer -- when Larry walks away and he goes "Jesus Christ" it's such a perfect response to the exchange, kind of like when the "poo poo bow" Japanese host is trying to keep his cool but mentions, "You know, there are lots of other nice restaurants around here."

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

it really is one of the best episodes of anything

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

plus it got a guy exonerated! everyone knows that story already but man wow lol

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Car Pool Lane was definitely my favorite when I first saw it, though it’s since been surpassed by The Ski Lift, The Palestinian Chicken and The Survivor.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

god picking an all-time favorite is hard. those ones you just mentioned are all killer. but also, The Doll. oh my loving god Susie in that one. krazee eyes killer, the freak book, denise handicapped. hey, i think this is a pretty good show here

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
YARMULKE ALERT YARMULKE ALERT

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

god picking an all-time favorite is hard. those ones you just mentioned are all killer. but also, The Doll. oh my loving god Susie in that one. krazee eyes killer, the freak book, denise handicapped. hey, i think this is a pretty good show here

The Doll might be the episode where everything in the show just fully clicked for me.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I just started scrolling through the list of episodes and there are so many just in the first three seasons.

Imagine thinking this show sucked lol

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth
The doll is def #1.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
God drat I hate the guy playing young Larry

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

I think that The Bisexual was my favorite. Everything is perfect. JB Smoove showing up in NYC, the battle with Rosie, his rapport with Jane (I know they dated IRL after that), the poo poo Bow, and how it all wrapped up with the baseball theme. :discourse:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I didn’t like the show until the episode where he accidentally trips Shaq. Then it just started to work and going back I loved it all. The pants tent was so relatable suddenly.

Just a masterpiece of a show.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Larry freaking out in the car in NYC while Susie is having an orgasm 'cause of the weird seat is definitely some of the hardest I've laughed at a TV show. That camera in that scene is just perfect.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Larry in the doctor's office with Loretta trying to act like a lovely boyfriend.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Palestine Chicken Woman posted:

gently caress me like Israel fucks my people!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I know it's the point with the daughter being really weird and terrible at acting, but the arc this season is bad compared to the fatwa and Latte Larry's so I hope there's some kind of payoff.

That said, there've been some extremely funny moments in the episodes that don't touch it much or at all, and I love Mr. Takahashi.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
There is nothing funnier than the holocaust survivor arguing with the Survivor TV show runner up. Arab on Jew dirty talk is pretty funny too.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

My favorite episode is the huge vagina episode, partially because very few people talk about differing vag size as compared to the reverse, so of course Larry David finally brings it up front and center. But that also had all of the simultaneous plots all being funny.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

triple sulk posted:

I know it's the point with the daughter being really weird and terrible at acting, but the arc this season is bad compared to the fatwa and Latte Larry's so I hope there's some kind of payoff.

I thought this had been resolved successfully with Jeff dispensing his fake stage 4 wisdom in the taco shop, but it either didn't matter or I forgot that it somehow backfired.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

mcbexx posted:

I thought this had been resolved successfully with Jeff dispensing his fake stage 4 wisdom in the taco shop, but it either didn't matter or I forgot that it somehow backfired.

They talked the dad out of it, but the new network inexplicably loved the screen test so much they talked them back into it.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The Jon Hamm episode last season was amazing. I mean, just look at this recap.

quote:

Larry David gets into a romantic relationship with his ex-wife’s sister in the “Elizabeth, Margaret, and Larry” episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Larry and Leon have the genius idea of launching an on-demand platform for allowing workers to leave their post to use the bathroom. Meanwhile Jon Hamm guest stars as an actor who is shadowing Larry for a movie role. Also, Richard is in the doghouse after telling his girlfriend that Larry suffered from a “bleeding rectum.”

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Everyone only referring to Jon Hamm by his full name was somehow really funny, too.

I sometimes think about the different names he and Larry came up with instead of calling it a Lazy Susan, like "Indefatigable Susan."

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
glad larry finally found true love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

People come into this thread effing and jeffing