Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

check out this picture of my dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

akadajet posted:

nice self portrait

:tipshat:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

akadajet posted:

check out this picture of my dog

its about to gently caress you in the a** with that dilder lol. watch out! run! unless.... ? MODS!!!!!!!!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my mom’s dog. and my mom’s white hair. my hair is beginning to turn that color because I’m getting old. taken with a 50mm lens at f1.2 probably

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Man... has it been over two years since I took serious pictures?

Even my lovely Rebel T3I with a dead ant permanently stuck inside the viewfinder takes good pictures on the back of a rented EF/24-70mm f/2.8L II USM.

Sigh... I have too many hobbies.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
God drat, I've got to break away from Adobe... but I'm so used to my LR workflow at this point.

Took me too long to find this one that I put in my hallway.

Again from my REBEL T3i with my "walkaround" EF50mm f/1.8 II

This thread is making me lust after an R system... but maybe I'll just jump ship to Fuji since I rent all but 1 of my lenses anyway.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

couple photos from my x100t

love this camera tbh

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Smythe posted:

its about to gently caress you in the a** with that dilder lol. watch out! run! unless.... ? MODS!!!!!!!!

lmfao

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

:crossarms:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
[picture of usb PD charger that won’t upload]

kinda super excited about this PD charger. only discovered that a PD (power delivery) charger is a thing but it’s a usb charger that’s for usb-c but the real game changer is that I can charge the batteries in my eos r using this charger :smugrgw: just plug in camera and it charges. finally mid 2000s technology comes to the eos range of big rear end cameras

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

isn’t there an rf version now?

yeah but it’s more than half a grand more dollars

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
divorce yourself from your material possessions imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bored Online posted:

divorce yourself from your material possessions imo

as in spend more money?

MrQueasy posted:

Sigh... I have too many hobbies.

photog is one of the best hobbies. often encourages me to get out and do something different and also provides me with a record of some of the best times in my life

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

couple photos from my x100t

love this camera tbh

excellent photos my dude

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

thanks echi!

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

photog is one of the best hobbies. often encourages me to get out and do something different and also provides me with a record of some of the best times in my life

Yeah, I need to get back to it. I had just pushed through a big cloud of self-doubt that kept cropping up when friends and family would say "wow, what great photos" and was finally taking pictures I was fond of.

All my battery packs died over the pandemic somehow... I should hunt down some replacements.

EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

EF-S10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM

Renting glass is so much fun.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Smythe posted:

qirex at a dog concert

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Echi I am holding you personally responsible for me sitting here avoiding doing work considering spending $1900 on a silver X-T3 and an XF35mm f1.4 in one tab and $1550 for the used equivalent in another...

I ordered some replacement spicy pillows for my t3i though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I hear those new 1.4 fujis are real good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrQueasy posted:

Echi I am holding you personally responsible for me sitting here avoiding doing work considering spending $1900 on a silver X-T3 and an XF35mm f1.4 in one tab and $1550 for the used equivalent in another...

I ordered some replacement spicy pillows for my t3i though.

is this your first dive into mirrorless?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

qirex posted:

i didn't know they had a new lineup of primes

god drat that 50mm f1.0 looks bonkers

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

is this your first dive into mirrorless?

Vaguely! I've borrowed my buddy's XT-2 and Sony a7 a few times. But at this point, it's been 2 years since I held a camera that wasn't my ridiculously large iphone.

I've been using a t3i forever, and while I have the kit lens somewhere, the $125 50mm canon prime is just too sharp and awesome to really take off unless I'm renting L glass.

I remember the X-T2 having a weird like... diagonal grid pattern deep in the distance where it would distort things I knew were unbroken straight lines... It may have been the midrange zoom he had on it, but I was kinda disappointed at the difference in the way the sensor interpreted things that were out of focus.

I don't remember as much about the a7 other than I hated the interface. The X-T2 was weird but "interesting".

Unrelated, I'm trying to figure out a new raw workflow because Adobe just keeps making it more and more difficult to batch render and upload images to 3d party services. I'm actually vaguely happy with the new Lightroom's interface and the online image library... but I'm strange. Each release seems to push the mobile-first aspect of it more and more.

MrQueasy fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 9, 2021

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

qirex posted:

fuji - la

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrQueasy posted:

Vaguely! I've borrowed my buddy's XT-2 and Sony a7 a few times. But at this point, it's been 2 years since I held a camera that wasn't my ridiculously large iphone.

I've been using a t3i forever, and while I have the kit lens somewhere, the $125 50mm canon prime is just too sharp and awesome to really take off unless I'm renting L glass.

I remember the X-T2 having a weird like... diagonal grid pattern deep in the distance where it would distort things I knew were unbroken straight lines... It may have been the midrange zoom he had on it, but I was kinda disappointed at the difference in the way the sensor interpreted things that were out of focus.

I don't remember as much about the a7 other than I hated the interface. The X-T2 was weird but "interesting".

Unrelated, I'm trying to figure out a new raw workflow because Adobe just keeps making it more and more difficult to batch render and upload images to 3d party services. I'm actually vaguely happy with the new Lightroom's interface and the online image library... but I'm strange. Each release seems to push the mobile-first aspect of it more and more.

wonder what that weird pattern is you’re talking about

are you using new lightroom or lightroom classic?

I was taking some pics of my son last night. face detection, especially eye detection? gently caress they are game changers. I used to lose so many pics on the 7d for being slightly out of focus, but this thing nails picture after picture, and having such large and decent iso means this older 55-200 f/4.5-5.6 can even work in low light, because at 200 it takes some nice portrait.

a lot of the criticisms thrown at a camera like mine are from camera reviewers and the like, because for me, coming from a camera released in 2009, everything is either better or miles better. i love the feel of this thing in my hand

also there’s this new move Fv which is flexible priority and it’s a bit like manual mode except you can put any thing into auto or manual, i often leave the iso and shutter speed on auto, set the aperture myself and use the exposure to adjust, and in that sense it’s simply aperture priority, except if i want to all of a sudden control shutter speed im not switching to a new mode and losing my aperture settings. i’ve read so many people, including myself, have just switched over to it for everything

and small little bit of fun : it films at 120 frames and having a lot of fun with the kids filming and then reversing. reversed slow mo is some great wholesome entertainment

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

wonder what that weird pattern is you’re talking about

are you using new lightroom or lightroom classic?

I was taking some pics of my son last night. face detection, especially eye detection? gently caress they are game changers. I used to lose so many pics on the 7d for being slightly out of focus, but this thing nails picture after picture, and having such large and decent iso means this older 55-200 f/4.5-5.6 can even work in low light, because at 200 it takes some nice portrait.

a lot of the criticisms thrown at a camera like mine are from camera reviewers and the like, because for me, coming from a camera released in 2009, everything is either better or miles better. i love the feel of this thing in my hand

also there’s this new move Fv which is flexible priority and it’s a bit like manual mode except you can put any thing into auto or manual, i often leave the iso and shutter speed on auto, set the aperture myself and use the exposure to adjust, and in that sense it’s simply aperture priority, except if i want to all of a sudden control shutter speed im not switching to a new mode and losing my aperture settings. i’ve read so many people, including myself, have just switched over to it for everything

and small little bit of fun : it films at 120 frames and having a lot of fun with the kids filming and then reversing. reversed slow mo is some great wholesome entertainment

new lightroom...

the distortion it was probably something bad (2+ years ago, so I think I was still in LR:Classic) in adobe camera raw. I felt it might be similar to (but WAAAAY more subtle than) the IOS "watercolor" distortion where the raw reader makes some really bad decisions when doing noise-reduction.

As far as newer cameras being magic... yeah... that's why I have the gear lust! The focus-detection fringe thing that the X-T2 did (Is this a standard mirrorless feature?) in the eyepiece was really cool and helpful.

Moving to Fuji from Canon (body + a decent lens) seems similarly expensive to either buying a Canon6D or the CanonR+EF adapter

I'm absolutely Garbage with video for some reason.... something about the framing + motion doesn't click with me.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Whoops, forgot to talk about what you said about your 7d!

It's all about the camera you have in your hand! I've loved my t3i through thick and thin! It's been bashed and slammed an dropped and still works like a champ.

But it would be nice to not have to spot-removal the upper left-hand corner where there's an everpresent slightly dark spot in the raw.

It would be nice to have more than 9 autofocus points.

It would be nice to not have to see a dead ant every time I look through the long-shoeless viewfinder.

And while I'm here... (gear lust activates) full frame would be nice too... And maybe some new glass while you're out? Oh, the new MBPs have built-in sd card readers?

I've been mostly idly shooting on my phone. The iphone is cool, but it's starting too do too much between capture and writing to raw for my taste.

IPhone 11pro max (OVERPROCESSED, I KNOW, I'M SORRY)

iPhone 11pro max

Haven't taken anything I'm happy enough to show non-family yet on my Iphone 13pro max

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrQueasy posted:

new lightroom...

never even looked at this tbh. i’m kinda gutted that lightroom “classic” is probably considered by adobe to be on the list of things they’d like to kill off

gutted the replaced split toning with colour grading, even if only cos their colour grading tools are lame

(99% of colour grading is in the subtle end of the saturation range so everyone will be doing almost all their work in a slim bunch of slider pixels while most
of those pixels remain unused, and in resolve they recognise this by making it so the mouse moves the sliders less than 1:1 but adobe ignore this)

quote:

As far as newer cameras being magic... yeah... that's why I have the gear lust! The focus-detection fringe thing that the X-T2 did (Is this a standard mirrorless feature?) in the eyepiece was really cool and helpful.

is there where manual focus puts some fringe on what’s in focus? yeah that’s good. mine does that but not just in the eyepiece

quote:

Moving to Fuji from Canon (body + a decent lens) seems similarly expensive to either buying a Canon6D or the CanonR+EF adapter
can I ask why in particular this is the way you’d go?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, that glittery effect where in-focus areas are highlighted is called focus peaking and it's awesome. it's the only digital manual focusing aid that is as good as a 1970s split-prism.

focus peaking + sensor-shift stabilization + ISO one million has brought a whole new life to my old takumars. highly recommend picking up a body with those features if you like to use old manual focus lenses.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 9, 2021

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

can I ask why in particular this is the way you’d go?
I like the silver rangefinder look. Reminds me of my dad's minolta 35mm I used to use.

Also, my Serious Photographer friends won't shut up about Fuji X-Ts (though to be fair, when out on assignment they dual-wield 5d or something AND the fujifilm)

Except the people with the Sony a7s, who won't shut up about how they're always taking f4 telephoto pictures by candlelight and it's so cool.

I just don't own much glass, so I don't feel tied to any camera line in particular.

I'm also ADHD, so I want new... shiny... different... a move to a micro4/3ds would be a "sensible" amateur photographer choice, whereas the "Full Frame Baybeeee" wolf inside me I see more as a "maybe I should push myself more because I spent more moneys". (I keep trying to tell myself that this is a Lie, but that matters little to my terrible brain)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there was this awesome time in about 2003-2008 when digital cameras were taking off but digital SLRs hadn't yet, and everyone was just dumping their old SLR lenses at every goodwill. i bought a ton of lenses for next to nothing back then. combining the stuff i bought with my dad's old stuff i now have an example of nearly every lens in the 1970s asahi lineup, from 17/4 to 400/5.6

my favorites are:

35/2, sharp at f/4 and below but soft and glowy with spherical aberration wide open, great for candid stuff
50/1.4, duh, and the thorium glass makes it basically as sharp as a modern L lens while being literally a third the size
135/2.5, excellent portrait lens albeit heavy, and just a huge impressive chunk of glass in general

and man. if you wanna talk knobfeel, pick up one of these lenses designed around manual focus use and run it through the range. no modern lens feels as good.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 9, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrQueasy posted:

I'm also ADHD, so I want new... shiny... different... a move to a micro4/3ds would be a "sensible" amateur photographer choice, whereas the "Full Frame Baybeeee" wolf inside me I see more as a "maybe I should push myself more because I spent more moneys". (I keep trying to tell myself that this is a Lie, but that matters little to my terrible brain)

lol I love it. I am eager to watch your progress

Sagebrush posted:

and man. if you wanna talk knobfeel, pick up one of these lenses designed around manual focus use and run it through the range. no modern lens feels as good.

just consistently jealous

MrQueasy posted:

Whoops, forgot to talk about what you said about your 7d!e iphone is cool, but it's starting too do too much between capture and writing to raw for my taste.

IPhone 11pro max (OVERPROCESSED, I KNOW, I'M SORRY)

I love this pic. colors are amazing, dont apologise at all for the "over"processing, its extremely appropriate

I actually love my 7D. It just feels good. It takes nice photos. I think I realised that I was running too slow shutter speeds for ages when it came to people so I was often blurring them and blaming the autofocus, because the 50mm f/1.8 does have a pretty slim dof. but I still love it.

I love it because I would NEVER turn it off. no reason to. it'd go to "sleep" and I could pick it up after a month and itd fire the moment you pressed the button. the low low low battery usage of SLRs makes me so happy. I love that until you press the button or autofocus, it uses no energy to look thru

BUT the results of my new eos r speak for themselves. when I get up close to the noise, I am actually happy with the noise, it doesn't inherently have that awful digital noise look.

OH and I just love it for some reasons. I've read a lot of other people say the same kind of thing, it was kind of panned a bit when it came out, but then gained a lot of popularity after for just being nice to use somehow

and face detection, I know its not a new thing but drat it's nice to have.

I really want to do portrait stuff. I've discovered TFP groups on facebook and have yet to go along but just want to work with people. people are such interesting subjects, and there is so much to be done, and a decade of pics of flowers is getting a bit boring. and when its friends and family, they dont want to sit around, so I really want to work with someone who is there for that - a model basically, so I am looking forward to exploring that more.

heres a shot with the 7d and one of only 2 good photos ive taken with the 24mm EFS pancake lens

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a bunch of photos I've taken are kind of good but what is really good is how it got me off my rear end to get the pic

I took my kids up the hill to see the sunrise to get that pic. was a nice time. probably wouldnt have done it if it wasnt to also take the pic

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

a bunch of photos I've taken are kind of good but what is really good is how it got me off my rear end to get the pic

I took my kids up the hill to see the sunrise to get that pic. was a nice time. probably wouldnt have done it if it wasnt to also take the pic

Precisely! I let COVID steal that from me because going out in public became exhausting... even if it was to head out into the middle of nowhere.

If you have an EF mount... this is a pro rent if you don't know what you're going to end up shooting.

EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

At $1600 I'm not getting one of my own anytime soon... but god drat is it versatile.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

echinopsis posted:

what is really good is how it got me off my rear end to get the pic

probably wouldnt have done it if it wasnt to also take the pic

:same:

this was down a steep rocky slope i had to sort of trespass a little bit on the power company's property to get here

cant recommend enough the thrill of taking photos while trespassing

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

MrQueasy posted:

Precisely! I let COVID steal that from me because going out in public became exhausting... even if it was to head out into the middle of nowhere.

If you have an EF mount... this is a pro rent if you don't know what you're going to end up shooting.

EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

At $1600 I'm not getting one of my own anytime soon... but god drat is it versatile.

I used to be a snob all about primes but I ended up forking over $700 for Fuji's 16-80 f/4 and it's become my always-on lens. I wish it was a 2.8 but it would probably have doubled the price.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

man thread making me feel hella guilty, literally haven't unzipped my kit bag in actual years, covered in dust from sitting.

5D3, the EF24-70 and the big brother EF70-200. I used to still follow photo kit tech but since COVID I haven't even read up on what's new.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
In the DSLR space, I don't think I've seen more than incremental changes since the 5D mIV... another 10 megapixels, another 10k ISO... etc...

Canon got off their rear end and finally released a full-frame mirrorless.

Speaking of the 70-200 2.8L, I used that lens to grab this absolute Tourist Snap in Yellowstone on my t3i.

I love the shot, but it's identical to every postcard you've ever seen of the falls in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

sometimes doing a checklist of famous tourist photographs is a fun challenge. start with your home town

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrQueasy posted:

I love the shot, but it's identical to every postcard you've ever seen of the falls in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.

that’s a gorgeous photo and it’s the only one i’ve seen

and that full frame mirrorless - it me

they did release the r6 and r5 but god drat they’re expensive. only benefit is that face/eye detection also works with animals

NoneMoreNegative posted:

man thread making me feel hella guilty, literally haven't unzipped my kit bag in actual years, covered in dust from sitting.

5D3, the EF24-70 and the big brother EF70-200. I used to still follow photo kit tech but since COVID I haven't even read up on what's new.

😩

MrQueasy posted:

EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

interesting ..

I really struggle with wider lenses to get anything worthwhile out of them. well tbf i leave the 50mm on but i’ve only taken two photos at a wide angle that are good

i rented a sigma ART 35mm f1.2 and it was a nice lens but couldn’t take anything worthwhile keeping

as soon as i got the 100mm macro? glorious photos as far as the eye can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I think the last time I shot anything of import with the big camera was June 2018, as posted here

From here: https://goo.gl/maps/YeFHdgtrtbD2

and a short clip from just before the waterfall with an impressive rockface overhang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCnOPBupOIY