Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

NHL really only has 35 people that can GM a tram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

NHL really only has 35 people that can GM a tram

It takes years of experience to be able to solve the trolley problem.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Canucks are going to make a run at a playoff spot under Boudreau. They're not good talentwise but they have some star power and look around at the rest of the league, the Canucks' overall talent level is playoff fringe, not battling the Coyotes and Senators for top lottery position.

if any coach can make that happen it's Boudreau.. the guy's track record in the regular season is practically unparalleled in recent history. I was so badly wishing for Dallas to pick him up the season after they canned Montgomery.

And yeah.. the Pacific division is once again looking a lot like the weaker division in the weaker conference albeit with a rising Vegas golden knights team. Even if you give Calgary and Edmonton full credit for their hot starts (which I am not so sure on yet), there will be an opportunity for Vancouver to overtake the California teams for a chance at that last wildcard spot.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
https://twitter.com/AGrossNewsday/status/1468981327848525830

https://twitter.com/AGrossNewsday/status/1468988749082202118

After Nelly and The Man Slaughterer join back up, Pulock is the only regular left. And maybe, just maybe, we'll start consistently getting those Ws again.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jimmy Rutherford will bring us a cup thanks to his long history of success built through hard work, sly negotiation and having Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin in their primes.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Blues are once again dressing only 17 skaters and their 4th string goalie + Jon Gillies as backup. They could have 18 skaters, but that would require some COVID cap relief (and don't talk about cap management--if you want teams to spend competitively, this is what's gonna happen with mandated scratches for 14 days or whatever).

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1469014955982786567

Old Boys Club reigns supreme

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Man I hope Rutherford "mentors" whatever GM he hires for a really long time.

The Old Boys Club is getting ridiculous.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He's one of those sharp young minds from the Stanley Cup winning Pittsburgh Penguins. He's cool, he's sexy, he's 73 years old!

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Starsfan posted:

if any coach can make that happen it's Boudreau.. the guy's track record in the regular season is practically unparalleled in recent history. I was so badly wishing for Dallas to pick him up the season after they canned Montgomery.

And yeah.. the Pacific division is once again looking a lot like the weaker division in the weaker conference albeit with a rising Vegas golden knights team. Even if you give Calgary and Edmonton full credit for their hot starts (which I am not so sure on yet), there will be an opportunity for Vancouver to overtake the California teams for a chance at that last wildcard spot.

VGK is going to get healthy and start rolling. Calgary looks good on their splits, but are definitely over-performing due to goaltending. Calgary/EDM/VGK take the Pacific 3 spots. Anaheim has an 11 point gap on Vancouver with the same games played. Dallas is already ahead of Vancouver with 4 games in hand as well. They've been hot of late. Leaving even those 2 out there are 5 teams head with 2+ games in hand. The only chance for Vancouver, IMO, is if all of the Pacific start losing all at once except for the 2 teams at the top of the div. That's the only way I could see them sneaking in which EDM not being able to outscore their defense and goaltending would be extremely funny...it's probably unlikely.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
JR is a really weird choice for a team that's not a contender. Even in an interim capacity.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm so sorry, Canucks fans

Ginette Reno posted:

JR is a really weird choice for a team that's not a contender. Even in an interim capacity.

It illustrates that the delusional owners still insist the team is a contender

JR absolutely will get right to work trading away every future value he has for More Veterans

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/1469002187208413184

Waiting until the 9th to pay rent is relatable.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

It blows my mind that these teams don’t ever even consider contingency plans. Benning has been on the hot seat for years but even pretending that his job was completely secure, you don’t ever think about who else you could put in that position? You don’t consider it to the point that you have to hire a 73 year old interim GM to mentor someone eventually? Why put somebody in the GM role at such a crucial time when you clearly don’t trust them to have that position permanently? How are these people so loving incompetent? they are rich and dumb

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's an impossible situation because no GM actually worth employing will even return a phone call from the Aquilinis.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll reserve judgement, but the most significant thing the last management group lacked was patience and I find it hard to imagine a 73 year old will have much more.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I'll reserve judgement, but the most significant thing the last management group lacked was patience and I find it hard to imagine a 73 year old will have much more.

Patience is not one of JR's virtues.

Granted, I think it's easy to point at what a GM did before and assume that they'll behave the same way at their new position but I don't know if that's always true. Mcphee is in that President role for Vegas and Vegas is extremely aggressive about trades. If memory serves Mcphee was not a big wheeler and dealer with the Caps. Granted he's not the actual GM of Vegas, but even so I imagine he has a good deal of pull on what moves they make.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
It’s going to be CoGMDS and CoGMHS learning from IGMJR.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Granted, I think it's easy to point at what a GM did before and assume that they'll behave the same way at their new position but I don't know if that's always true. Mcphee is in that President role for Vegas and Vegas is extremely aggressive about trades. If memory serves Mcphee was not a big wheeler and dealer with the Caps. Granted he's not the actual GM of Vegas, but even so I imagine he has a good deal of pull on what moves they make.

To be fair, my and many Pens' fans reaction to JR's hiring in Pittsburgh was along the lines of "oh yeah, we just got the architect of those Carolina Hurricanes juggernauts that have made the playoffs once in the last decade" and then he ripped off one of the best/luckiest one-year streaks of transactions of any GM ever.

To be fairer, that was going on 10 years ago now and he burned the Penguins all the way down on his way out. And they've made one first round pick in the last 8 years IIRC. (e: to be clear I don't mean they hit on one first round pick and whiffed the rest, I mean they actually literally only kept one of their last 8 first round picks, and traded the rest for basically nothing)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

To be fair, my and many Pens' fans reaction to JR's hiring in Pittsburgh was along the lines of "oh yeah, we just got the architect of those Carolina Hurricanes juggernauts that have made the playoffs once in the last decade" and then he ripped off one of the best/luckiest one-year streaks of transactions of any GM ever.

To be fairer, that was going on 10 years ago now and he burned the Penguins all the way down on his way out. And they've made one first round pick in the last 8 years IIRC. (e: to be clear I don't mean they hit on one first round pick and whiffed the rest, I mean they actually literally only kept one of their last 8 first round picks, and traded the rest for basically nothing)

If Rutherford wins us even one cup I will personally construct a golden idol to him and worship it daily while he trades away our next 30 first round picks.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Ginette Reno posted:

McPhee mostly picked around the edges in Washington... Wideman was a decent acquisition, dumping Varlamov for a 1st was fine given their goalie pipeline, Neuvirth for rental Halak was solid, a 1st for Brouwer was... probably not ideal (that pick became Philipp Denault) but he was a decent middle six guy at the time

But how can you forget this "aggressive" doozy

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Matt Zerella posted:

Yotes: "I pay my rent on time EVERY month, I ain't never been late oncest!"

State of Arizona: (holds envelope with December 8th postmark)

ThinkTank posted:

If Rutherford wins us even one cup I will personally construct a golden idol to him and worship it daily while he trades away our next 30 first round picks.

Yeah, seriously, I could find something else to do for a few years if that track record meant my team won a Cup, let alone two.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

McPhee mostly picked around the edges in Washington... Wideman was a decent acquisition, dumping Varlamov for a 1st was fine given their goalie pipeline, Neuvirth for rental Halak was solid, a 1st for Brouwer was... probably not ideal (that pick became Philipp Denault) but he was a decent middle six guy at the time

But how can you forget this "aggressive" doozy

It hurts a lot less these days since we did win a cup. But gently caress me it still hurts. All the good GM’s have that one trade they royally gently caress up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ATFulemin/status/1469035816223711238

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Schremp Howard posted:

It’s going to be CoGMDS and CoGMHS learning from IGMJR.

yup. i'm cool with it as long as the gm he hires in the meantime isn't dog turds. hopefully gilman

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Honestly with the right coach that D would kick rear end to watch, buncha guys who'll allow 8 goals a game and try to score double that every night.

Which brings up an interesting thought, this'll be the first Olympics since Mike Babcock's back-to-back run of making an offensive powerhouse play board-grinding chip and chase hockey. Could Team Canada be.... fun this year? no

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Matt Zerella posted:

Boooooo

Really hoped Arizona was flat broke

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

WeaponX posted:

It blows my mind that these teams don’t ever even consider contingency plans. Benning has been on the hot seat for years but even pretending that his job was completely secure, you don’t ever think about who else you could put in that position? You don’t consider it to the point that you have to hire a 73 year old interim GM to mentor someone eventually? Why put somebody in the GM role at such a crucial time when you clearly don’t trust them to have that position permanently? How are these people so loving incompetent? they are rich and dumb

Convincing a guy who comes into the job knowing he’s going to be fired in 5 years like every other GM to actively trading his replacement is a pretty hard sell. The Leafs thought they were doing this when they hired Lou with a timetable to hand the team over the Dubas. Even in his initial press conference he said something like “If Kyle isn’t the next GM, I’ve screwed up”, but then Lou wanted to keep the job and supposedly froze Kyle out and made Shanny pick.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Boooooo

Really hoped Arizona was flat broke

lol if you think that money didn't come from Bettman's slush fund

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Speaking of Dubas, it's kind of amazing how successful* he has been given his obsession with acquiring former Soo Greyhounds (this was written after the McCann trade; too bad they couldn't keep him):

quote:

It’s hard to imagine Dubas ever deviating, so here is a list of Soo Greyhounds alumni playing in the NHL that could be in the Leafs fixture sometime in the near future:

Matt Murray (Senators)
Tony DeAngelo (Rangers)
Nick Cousins (Predators)
Jeff Carter (Penguins)
Darnell Nurse (Oilers)
Conor Timmins (Avalanche)
Robin Lehner (Golden Knights)
Colin Miller (Sabres)
Barrett Hayton (Coyotes)
Nick Ritchie (Bruins)
Michael Bunting (Coyotes)

If the Leafs are going to wheel and deal with any of these teams, you can be sure Dubas is going to consider picking up one of his own.

Keefe, a bunch of scouts and Marlies coaches, Sandin, Muzzin, Campbell, Simmonds, Hollowell (AHL) are the others.

*yes, yes, I know

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/dailyfaceoff/status/1469025854919430146?s=21 I believe in player safety and all but this looks fairly shoulder to chest, plus MacK placed himself in a bad position

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Troy Queef posted:

https://twitter.com/dailyfaceoff/status/1469025854919430146?s=21 I believe in player safety and all but this looks fairly shoulder to chest, plus MacK placed himself in a bad position

0 (but hey Jake, can you stop scrambling peoples brains?)

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Honestly with the right coach that D would kick rear end to watch, buncha guys who'll allow 8 goals a game and try to score double that every night.

Which brings up an interesting thought, this'll be the first Olympics since Mike Babcock's back-to-back run of making an offensive powerhouse play board-grinding chip and chase hockey. Could Team Canada be.... fun this year? no

If you don’t get excited for the best collection of hockey talent in history to play a neutral zone trap really well for 30 second shifts, that’s your problem

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Troy Queef posted:

It's like it's a carbon copy of the Khaira hit a couple days ago.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jhet posted:

It's like it's a carbon copy of the Khaira hit a couple days ago.

maybe they should talk to both of the guys who did them

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
My random Yotes related story is that last month I was in Phoenix for a work trip and went to a game to see the Yotes get bulldozed by the Wild. There were a couple of Yotes fans behind me discussing where the Yotes ranked amongst the league with forwards, defense, and goaltending and concluded they were the worst at all of them. I was so sad for them. I guess the team may be put out of its and their misery soon, but it sucks things arn't working out there.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

He'll get no suspension because he wasn't suspended for the Khalia hit, which happened like yesterday and they are so identical

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm kinda surprised the league is so against moving the Coyotes when that's a big fat relocation fee just sitting there waiting to be claimed.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
get a load of this rear end in a top hat

https://twitter.com/RinaldoZac/status/1469018881733844994

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

marioinblack posted:

I guess the team may be put out of its and their misery soon, but it sucks things arn't working out there.

Never ever ever gonna happen as long as Bettman is alive.