Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
FDA okays Regeneron COVID-19 antibody as preventive in high-risk settings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The news report omits details.

From the letter of emergency use authorization itself,

quote:

REGEN-COV may only be used in adult and pediatric individuals (12 years of age and older weighing at least 40 kg) for post-exposure prophylaxis of COVID-19 in individuals who are at high risk for progression to severe COVID-19, including hospitalization or death, and are:

not fully vaccinated13 or who are not expected to mount an adequate immune response to complete SARS-CoV-2 vaccination (for example, individuals with immunocompromising conditions including those taking immunosuppressive medications14) and

• have been exposed to an individual infected with SARS-CoV-2 consistent with close contact criteria per Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)15 or
  • who are at high risk of exposure to an individual infected with SARS- CoV-2 because of occurrence of SARS-CoV-2 infection in other individuals in the same institutional setting (for example, nursing homes, prisons).

So there has to be an outbreak within the institution. Abstract future risk of exposure isn’t enough.

Further,

quote:

REGEN-COV is not authorized for pre-exposure prophylaxis for prevention of COVID-19.

Their double emphasis.

If you want to argue that Florida is an open‐air institution, I’m not saying I disagree, but doctors may.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Could she get the Regeneron somewhere that's not one of those distro centers with people that have been confirmed to actively have it? Seems a bit of an unnecessary risk especially with someone immunocompromised.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Third shot of Pfizer received. Looking forward to the fever dreams, though the nurse said it shouldn't be nearly as bad as my second shot due to the longer interval (5 months versus 3 weeks).

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Literal headline: "Almost 1 in 10 fully vaccinated don't want boostershot."
link
That's likely the biggest non news I've ever read.
Why not say "nearly all fully vaccinated want boostershot"? or "less than 1% of the fully vaccinated don't want boostershot"?

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Third shot of Pfizer received. Looking forward to the fever dreams, though the nurse said it shouldn't be nearly as bad as my second shot due to the longer interval (5 months versus 3 weeks).

Good luck, but my third Pfizer was worse than the second.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'll be interested to see how I feel after my Pfizer booster, I had no reaction to my first shot but I got hit by fatigue two hours after the second, along with an absolute ravenous hunger as my body demanded energy to deal with the interloper. That's pretty much how my body deals with most illness, demand fuel then hammer it into oblivion, no lovely half measures over the course of a few days, illness gone right now and drat the cost. I assume it'll be more of the same with the booster.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

naem posted:

I only wish we could run around hitting antivaxxers with a shovel/cricket bat

The only thing stopping you is society.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I feel like the important bit is that a lot of the antivaxxers concealed carry

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'll be interested to see how I feel after my Pfizer booster, I had no reaction to my first shot but I got hit by fatigue two hours after the second, along with an absolute ravenous hunger as my body demanded energy to deal with the interloper. That's pretty much how my body deals with most illness, demand fuel then hammer it into oblivion, no lovely half measures over the course of a few days, illness gone right now and drat the cost. I assume it'll be more of the same with the booster.

It's just a completely random choice between "no effect" and "Someone book me a trip to Switzerland", no matter what your previous reactions were. FWIW my reactions were mild fever to AZ1, no fever but slept for 12 hours the next day to AZ2, and painful shoulder and very slight headache to Moderna booster+flu vaccine, and I'm a total wuss who normally takes to my bed with the entire stock of the nearest Boots and a sheet of paper to write out my last will and testament at the slightest cold.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Platystemon posted:

So there has to be an outbreak within the institution. Abstract future risk of exposure isn’t enough.

Further,

Their double emphasis.

If you want to argue that Florida is an open‐air institution, I’m not saying I disagree, but doctors may.
Oh yeah, they'd probably have to lie, they probably can't just roll up and be like "I'm not sick but regeneron please." I just mean that if they can get it, it should work. I have no idea what Florida's centers require in theory or practice; "my friend has it and I have a big fake cough" might work, or they might need positive tests.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I do wash my fruits/veggies off before eating them but I also wonder how much it really matters. I'm not using soap obviously so what difference is a little water really making? I guess it probably gets some poo poo off there but :shrug:

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

Ginette Reno posted:

I do wash my fruits/veggies off before eating them but I also wonder how much it really matters. I'm not using soap obviously so what difference is a little water really making? I guess it probably gets some poo poo off there but :shrug:

The cloth mask of washing your fruits (i do the same full disclosure)

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

I'm picturing this dickhead standing in a lab with real scientist. He's got his Listerine in his hand but relegated to stand in the corner. He brought his own lab coat and keeps interrupting so they can try his idea.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

has ron considered gargling with bleach, an even stronger curative than listerine?

kinda reminds me of when my mom would make me gargle warm salt water when i would get strep throat, which i got every single year for about 10 years straight as kid. it didn't do poo poo, and inevitably i would be in a doctor's office a couple days later getting a shot of penicillin in the rear end, which did do poo poo.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

has ron considered gargling with bleach, an even stronger curative than listerine?

kinda reminds me of when my mom would make me gargle warm salt water when i would get strep throat, which i got every single year for about 10 years straight as kid. it didn't do poo poo, and inevitably i would be in a doctor's office a couple days later getting a shot of penicillin in the rear end, which did do poo poo.

yeah the warm salt water breaks up some of the mucus on your tonsils if you try real hard and that's about it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

After finding out covid only survives on organic surfaces for 3 days, depends on how long they've been sitting in my house

Fresh produce gets washed more the shorter period it's been in my time

The big risk of not washing fresh produce is the people picking fresh produce don't have time to poop so they do it in the field and you're at increased risk of exposure to hepatitis etc

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This stuff annoys me. The Pfizer CEO is already talking about possible 4th doses, but they say in the interview that they are still waiting on test results so this all comes off to me as them just trying to bump up their stock price.

https://twitter.com/cnbc/status/1468981422660669448?s=21

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Getting my third shot of Pfizer tomorrow. Should I expect it to hit me as hard as the second shot? Do we have any decent research on the efficacy yet?

Enjoy your John Lennon songs while you can.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Bad Purchase posted:

my parents would make me do this as well, something something iodine in the salt helping

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I loving hate Ron Johnson with an absolute determined passion.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

This stuff annoys me. The Pfizer CEO is already talking about possible 4th doses, but they say in the interview that they are still waiting on test results so this all comes off to me as them just trying to bump up their stock price.

We'd be getting quarterly boosters if mRNA production were up for the task, but the third world is still working on getting their first shot

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The real crime is that there's a safe alpha specific vaccine that would be more effective against omicron but we're not going to roll that out until the omicron vaccine is ready Q2 next year

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
We may not get an omicron variant vaccine at all. They almost didn't give us boosters because fear of what it would do to vaccine uptake for the oh so persuadable antivaxxers, what's another 3 shots going to look like to those same regulators?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

QuarkJets posted:

You should wash vegetables and fruits with edible skins, cause people are disgusting and nature is loving disgusting. This was true before covid as well lol I can't believe that people just bring home apples from the store and eat them right away, the very same apples that I've sensually licked and kissed, I'm there doing it in your store every night and no one seems to notice or care

Thank you I thought I was going insane, with all the people in this thread going on about being safe and using respirators and then "Yeah I just pick stuff up from the supermarket and just munch on it, oh no, watch out for covid, dangerrrr"
Dang Something awful trolls gasligghting meeeee

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Everyone should work in a grocery store for 6 months growing up. After that, you wash EVERYTHING.

Never mind the customers, do you think the loading dock gets cleaned?
Do you think the produce comes in sterile packaging before it goes on the shelf?
Do you think that every grocery store in the nation is rat, cockroach and mouse free?
Do you think the people who work there for minimum wage give a poo poo about your health and safety?

:barf::barf::barf::barf:

e: Do you think government inspectors proactively come and check any of this?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Another Bill posted:

Do you think that every grocery store in the nation is rat, cockroach and mouse free?

Do you think that ANY grocery store in the nation is rat, cockroach and mouse free?

It's not like there aren't bugs and poop on the produce in the field anyway. Hell, they put both bugs and poop there on purpose!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Darth TNT posted:

Literal headline: "Almost 1 in 10 fully vaccinated don't want boostershot."
link
That's likely the biggest non news I've ever read.
Why not say "nearly all fully vaccinated want boostershot"? or "less than 1% of the fully vaccinated don't want boostershot"?

1 in 10 is 10%, pretty sure

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

1 in 10 is 10%, pretty sure

Except it’s less than 1 in 10. Could be anything below 1.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Darth TNT posted:

Calling 1% "almost 1 in 10" would be shockingly bad, I agree it's a bad headline but I don't think it's likely it's THAT bad.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Darth TNT posted:

says nearly 9% so probably between 8.5% and 8.9

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

says nearly 9% so probably between 8.5% and 8.9

So more than 90% of vaccinated people plan on getting boosters.

Trying to sort out deliberate anti-vaxx spin from stupidly sociopathic clickbait has become way too common. Like how even mainstream media makes it sounds like huge chunks of the workforce are resigning rather than get vaccinated, which simply is not the case.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I loving hate Ron Johnson with an absolute determined passion.

That stupid white suit and pastel t-shirt just hasn't aged well has it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If you think that any of the cucumbers at the grocery store have not gone into a living thing's orifice then you are a naive little baby

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

Further,

Their double emphasis.

There will be toddlers as well as an unvaccinated 6yo. And the In-laws insist on going to Legoland.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

So more than 90% of vaccinated people plan on getting boosters.

Trying to sort out deliberate anti-vaxx spin from stupidly sociopathic clickbait has become way too common. Like how even mainstream media makes it sounds like huge chunks of the workforce are resigning rather than get vaccinated, which simply is not the case.

Unfortunately "9% of vaccinated people don't want boosters" (in The Netherlands) is definitely not the same thing as "90% of vaccinated people plan on getting boosters". Apparently The Netherlands is going to start requiring boosters for travel starting in February and shortening their vaccine certificates to nine months, so I wouldn't be surprised if uptake is eventually relatively high.

Without soft or hard mandates I'll be surprised if the US even hits 60% of vaccinated folks getting boosted, especially with how blase our recommendations have been.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Monoclonal antibody trip report:

Woke up this morning and did get a little suspect that the place I was booked in at would charge me through the rear end. I called them and they reiterated the treatment was free, I asked if they'd bill me for anything else and was on hold with their billing dept for 90 minutes. Gave up and called my insurance who confirmed they were out of network and it would absolutely 100% cost $1k for the room even though the treatment itself is free. Full on scam.

Then I found the state run places that do it, which are totally free, got booked in at 3pm and I just got home.
They had both IV and the 4 shot version, the guy persuaded me to go with the 4 shots as it's way quicker and less fuss for me.

To the guy asking earlier in the thread about getting a preventative one - you could tell them that you've been exposed to a confirmed case, and they will give you a preventative dose without any questions asked.

Haven't really noticed it kick in yet. Will update when my energy levels surge back and all my aches fade away.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

cubicle gangster posted:

Monoclonal antibody trip report:

Woke up this morning and did get a little suspect that the place I was booked in at would charge me through the rear end. I called them and they reiterated the treatment was free, I asked if they'd bill me for anything else and was on hold with their billing dept for 90 minutes. Gave up and called my insurance who confirmed they were out of network and it would absolutely 100% cost $1k for the room even though the treatment itself is free. Full on scam.

Then I found the state run places that do it, which are totally free, got booked in at 3pm and I just got home.
They had both IV and the 4 shot version, the guy persuaded me to go with the 4 shots as it's way quicker and less fuss for me.

To the guy asking earlier in the thread about getting a preventative one - you could tell them that you've been exposed to a confirmed case, and they will give you a preventative dose without any questions asked.

Haven't really noticed it kick in yet. Will update when my energy levels surge back and all my aches fade away.

:coronatoot:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Another Bill posted:

Everyone should work in a grocery store for 6 months growing up. After that, you wash EVERYTHING.

Also, never buy anything from the back of the shelf. Stockers are supposed to put new items at the back of the shelf and position the existing stuff at the front; however, this takes time, and stockers are constantly monitored and written up if they take too long, so they cut corners everywhere. Corollary: any cans in the back of the shelf are from the Carter administration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Gynovore posted:

Also, never buy anything from the back of the shelf. Stockers are supposed to put new items at the back of the shelf and position the existing stuff at the front; however, this takes time, and stockers are constantly monitored and written up if they take too long, so they cut corners everywhere. Corollary: any cans in the back of the shelf are from the Carter administration.

I just check the dates. Pretty easy to find out which one is newer.