Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm glad City of Heroes ruined MMOs for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
"Internally, we had this super hardcore men's group – we’ve got a lot of hardcore fuckheads at Blizzard – that tested boundaries, and we got it to the point where they thought it was sexist enough, then we doubled it."

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Gadfly posted:

So you're saying that they made the kitchen the breastfeeding room?

I'm not sure, but if I were to guess I'd wager it being a former break room, based on the thing about people charging their phones and such. From a pure corporate perspective it's a lot easier to tell your humans that room 4 is a breastfeeding room than it is to move your servers or filing cabinets out of rooms 1, 2, or 3. If that makes your mostly male employees mad at the :females: for taking away their break room (y'know, instead of being mad that your women colleagues are being put in that position and showing some loving solidarity like a rational person with a shred of empathy), that's probably a bonus in a corporate culture like that.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Yeah, I mean, I think someone who is breastfeeding would have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
https://twitter.com/Shannon_Liao/status/1468961296678748172

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
^ good for them

External Organs posted:

"Internally, we had this super hardcore men's group – we’ve got a lot of hardcore fuckheads at Blizzard – that tested boundaries, and we got it to the point where they thought it was sexist enough, then we doubled it."

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Reveilled posted:

I'm not sure, but if I were to guess I'd wager it being a former break room, based on the thing about people charging their phones and such. From a pure corporate perspective it's a lot easier to tell your humans that room 4 is a breastfeeding room than it is to move your servers or filing cabinets out of rooms 1, 2, or 3. If that makes your mostly male employees mad at the :females: for taking away their break room (y'know, instead of being mad that your women colleagues are being put in that position and showing some loving solidarity like a rational person with a shred of empathy), that's probably a bonus in a corporate culture like that.

While working for Blizzard Austin, we moved from a decrepit, literally being swallowed by the earth by sinkholes building to a brand new bigass nice building. The undoubtedly favorite feature was “The quiet room”. A room with 4 big comfy black couches, barely lit, with a rule of complete silence. Naps on lunch, quick rests on your breaks, peaceful.

After only like 2 months, it got converted to the nursing mothers room, which made a bunch of dudes mad. On the one hand, sure, losing the quiet room sucked. But don’t blame nursing mothers, blame Blizzard for literally building a new building from the foundation, with over 100 rooms, but not deigning to designate one as a nursing mothers room from the beginning.

In TRUE Blizzard fashion, the transition to nursing mothers room wasn’t just a welcome (albeit way overdue act). They waited until it was CONVENIENT FOR THEM, because the quiet room was actually closed because people kept moving couches in front of the door and loving in there.

I worked in the restaurant industry for years before starting at Blizz, but the amount of employees loving at Blizz put restaurants to shame.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
https://twitter.com/ABetterABK/status/1468943518248980486?s=20

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

While I certainly wouldn't expect anything official, it will be interesting to see if anyone accepting awards at the Game Awards expresses solidarity with ABK.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Digital Flower posted:

I am grateful that every time I'm feeling a moment of weakness and think of resubbing on WoW (fully aware there's a hundred reasons why I shouldn't), something new and horrible emerges to snap me out of it. :stare:

:stonk::hf::barf:

WoW filled some sort of hole in my ADD brain, just logging in and working towards a project or goal in that game. poo poo like this makes me want to go back less and less despite that little monkey in the back of my head.

Especially with the brain-drain going on as more and more people leave/less and less are interested in working at ActiBlizz with these stories coming and and somehow finding a way to get worse. I fully expect WoW to limp along and die out, just being nothing more than WoW:Classic servers in a few years.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

:gonk: :stare: :psyduck: :froggonk:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Doom Rooster posted:

In TRUE Blizzard fashion, the transition to nursing mothers room wasn’t just a welcome (albeit way overdue act). They waited until it was CONVENIENT FOR THEM, because the quiet room was actually closed because people kept moving couches in front of the door and loving in there.

I worked in the restaurant industry for years before starting at Blizz, but the amount of employees loving at Blizz put restaurants to shame.

What the :psyduck: I shouldn't be surprised by the Blizzard stuff anymore, but jesus.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

hell yeah dude

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

What the :psyduck: I shouldn't be surprised by the Blizzard stuff anymore, but jesus.

Blizzard CS and Blizzard dev seem to have had opposite problems. Dev was rife with harassment and abuse, while CS was drowning in drama of employees dating, cheating on each other, dating best friends after breaking up, etc… in the 7ish years I was there, even as a manager I only heard of 1 instance of harassment, and it actually was dealt with quickly, and the harasser was term’d immediately.

I am CERTAIN that there was more that went unreported/I didn’t hear about, but it was not the cesspool that dev was. Just a totally different kind of cesspool!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Splorange posted:

:dafuq:

So, if any of you perverts out there know, is the implication here that the breast milk was consumed by these presumably adult male burglar babies or was it used as a masturbatory aid?

Or perhaps both?

I'd assume the harassment is the point, or maybe it's a fetish thing, or both.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Doom Rooster posted:

Blizzard CS and Blizzard dev seem to have had opposite problems. Dev was rife with harassment and abuse, while CS was drowning in drama of employees dating, cheating on each other, dating best friends after breaking up, etc… in the 7ish years I was there, even as a manager I only heard of 1 instance of harassment, and it actually was dealt with quickly, and the harasser was term’d immediately.

I am CERTAIN that there was more that went unreported/I didn’t hear about, but it was not the cesspool that dev was. Just a totally different kind of cesspool!

Never forget the email reminding employees to not deal drugs on company grounds and that the gym shower stalls were one person at a time.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Please tell me that was in the same email lol

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Zil posted:

Never forget the email reminding employees to not deal drugs on company grounds and that the gym shower stalls were one person at a time.

Oh man. The drug email was hilarious. For everyone else’s info, every time an employee left the company a template email would get sent to all staff that amounted to “so and so is no longer an employee of Blizzard, if you see them in the building, report it to security, etc…” with their badge picture. Quit or fired, didn’t matter. Exact same email.

A buddy of mine quit on good terms. Served his full two weeks, well-liked, all good. The day comes and he leaves. The standard email goes out about him not being an employee anymore, but then… ALMOST IMMEDIATELY after that email, comes the big email about not dealing drugs on company property. Everyone who didn’t know him well immediately assumes that he got fired, and was selling drugs. Dude is pissssssedddd. Like “WHAT IN THE EVERLOVING gently caress. I DON’T SELL DRUGS”. I assume people still rib him about it to this day.

It was hilarious. Sorry bud.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Doom Rooster posted:

For everyone else’s info, every time an employee left the company a template email would get sent to all staff that amounted to “so and so is no longer an employee of Blizzard, if you see them in the building, report it to security, etc…” with their badge picture. Quit or fired, didn’t matter. Exact same email.

That seems extremely excessive? I’ve worked for industries with WAY higher security requirements and nothing even remotely close to that is ever done.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cyks posted:

That seems extremely excessive? I’ve worked for industries with WAY higher security requirements and nothing even remotely close to that is ever done.

industries with high security requirements probably treat their employees better OP, if you treat your employees like poo poo that you can get for a dime a dozen the walkout process is based around how you'd expect them to react if you were in that position

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

E: Oh gently caress it who cares

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/1469115364953014272?s=20

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Keighley going up and giving an extremely vague "we do not tolerate abuse and harassment" statement after an introduction plastered with Ubisoft games and then immediately being followed up by the voice actor for the dude from Far Cry 6 to give an announcement sure was a moment.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Kanos posted:

Keighley going up and giving an extremely vague "we do not tolerate abuse and harassment" statement after an introduction plastered with Ubisoft games and then immediately being followed up by the voice actor for the dude from Far Cry 6 to give an announcement sure was a moment.

He might as well have taken a drink of breastmilk onstage

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kanos posted:

What did the voice guy from far cry do?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MarcusSA posted:

What did the voice guy from far cry do?

The actor is guilty of nothing that I'm aware of and the issue isn't with him as a person. Ubisoft is almost as mired in poo poo as ABK so bookending your "no harassment" speech with an opening trailer featuring Ubisoft games before and then a presenter who is being primarily credited for his work headlining an Ubisoft game after is pretty lovely.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
These humanoid creatures are freaking me out.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'd love someone to ask them how they don't tolerate harassment exactly. Like, in what way do they not.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
zero tolerance for reporting harassment? idk

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

between this story and someone on a discord I'm on responding to that article with "yeah that's common enough in bad workplaces that it's a common recommendation to buy a dedicated breast milk cooler and keep it locked in your car", I just

Kinda thread adjacent but... Is that like a tech/game industry specific thing? :psyduck:]

would unionization even help with some of these issues being a widespread issue amongst rank and file male employees?

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 10, 2021

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Acerbatus posted:

Kinda thread adjacent but... Is that like a tech/game industry specific thing? :psyduck:]

would unionization even help with some of these issues being a widespread issue amongst rank and file male employees?

A lot of the worst type of guys also have strong opinions about unionisation, so maybe.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

HopperUK posted:

I'd love someone to ask them how they don't tolerate harassment exactly. Like, in what way do they not.

Condemn harassment?

No, tolerance!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1469360053488525317?s=21

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'm not well versed but aren't statements like that hilariously illegal? All the anti unionization stuff I've heard of is more subtle / coded kind of language.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SkeletonHero posted:

Condemn harassment?

No, tolerance!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

External Organs posted:

I'm not well versed but aren't statements like that hilariously illegal? All the anti unionization stuff I've heard of is more subtle / coded kind of language.
its fairly subtle if you actually read the full thing. 'we fully support your right to unionize, but we can do better than a union would.'

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Acerbatus posted:

anti-unionization practices are designed to keep employees isolated from each other and afraid to advocate for improved working conditions. it's exactly the kind of environment where abusers can run wild if the employer lets them because their victims feel alone and powerless, if not outright gaslit by HR.

the very act of organizing towards unionization would make it clear that a majority of employees do not approve of that poo poo, among other things.

it's no coincidence that ABK hired a firm known for union busting to "investigate" the harassment complaints.

Ash1138 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 10, 2021

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
John Oliver recently had a really good episode about union busting. Seems like Activision is totally playing from union busting playbook.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk8dUXRpoy8

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

External Organs posted:

It's pretty standard for anti-unionization. We support your right to vote how you like, we think everyone is better off without a union, and by the way a union means that it's the union and not you that negotiates salary and benefits. There's no flagrantly illegal threat, no implication that employees will get less with a union, it looks like it was passed through those lawyers at the union busting firm. Overall it's relatively soft as far as anti-union notes go. It won't stay that way if support for unionizing keeps growing, but WilmerHale knows what they can get away with and they probably won't send out any flagrantly illegal communications, especially in the wake of the NLRB giving Amazon workers in Alabama a do-over of the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah if there were any suggestion that management would specifically do something as a result of a vote (either positive or negative), that would be illegal, but any vague scaremongering up to that point about things being worse with a union for unspecified reasons is legal