Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Let’s face it, goons are olds now. There are dadgoons and momgoons, and some of them are in this forum. One by one, dadbikes are appearing and we are better for it. Let us celebrate dadbikes and mombikes. You don’t have to be a dad or a mom, and in fact you probably shouldn’t be because you’re a goon and can’t be trusted with that kind of responsibility.

What is a dadbike? A Goldwing, naturally, but that’s just kind of the pinnacle of the heap. A BMW K bike? Yes. A GS? Also yes. More important than make/model, though, is the ~aesthetic~. A dadbike is probably a little overfarkled, or known for being a favorite of retirees who watched Long Way Round too many times, or a good solution for bad knees and hips, or a bike that’s for some reason really interesting to old guys, etc ad infinitum. But most importantly, a dad bike is practical. Does your Hawk have a topbox? Dadbike. Did you trade your VStrom for a maxiscooter to ride with your spouse? Dadbike. Does your 990SM have 3 matching bags? Dadbike. Can you fit your helmet in the tailbag on your DR? Dadbike. Goldw-DADBIKE.

Post pics of your topboxes, distribution blocks, and lowering kits. Solicit suggestions for the best brand of aftermarket windshields and suspenders. Compare on-board air compressors. Roast each other about your taste in hi-viz suits.

Here is my dadbike with my dadfriend's dadbike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm young enough still that my ideal bike (in my head) is a sport-tourerized literbike. I know I'm on the dadbike spectrum but I haven't been diagnosed with full-blown dadbikeism, yet.

And I never did order that giant windscreen for my MT-07...

FBS fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 8, 2021

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

only "good" photo I've taken of my bike with the breadboxes on it (mostly run mosko's R40 now unless I'm doing weeklong+ trips):

they will carry over 36 cold snacks or 3 large pizzas in them though :D

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This thread. I’m home

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

right arm posted:

only "good" photo I've taken of my bike with the breadboxes on it (mostly run mosko's R40 now unless I'm doing weeklong+ trips):

they will carry over 36 cold snacks or 3 large pizzas in them though :D

Do you have to put the pizzas vertical or fold them like a calzone? :colbert:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

builds character posted:

Do you have to put the pizzas vertical or fold them like a calzone? :colbert:

Lol diagonal in the top box since it’s wider than it is tall

kept them warmish too, it was a lovely time at the beach

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

FBS posted:

I'm young enough still that my ideal bike (in my head) is a sport-tourerized literbike.

:hmmyes:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This thread. I’m home

Feels warm, like a brand new pair of cotton Dockers.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

You don’t have to be a dad or a mom, and in fact you probably shouldn’t be because you’re a goon and can’t be trusted with that kind of responsibility.

Back in the days when getting caught scrapping would see you get detention and not an expulsion and a story on the nightly news, you'd be meeting me down at the bike racks for a callout of this magnitude

I think fuckin all of my bikes have been dadbikes. The Sherpa was iffy, but the PO put a topcase and a windscreen handcut from plexiglass on it. KLRs are automatically dadbikes, even moreso when you throw a topcase and crash bars and skidplate at them and then rarely take them offroad. Same with the Weestrom, except that had sidecases, and the crash bars actually saved my plastics on numerous occasions because I was bad at walking it around.

And then there's my current dadbike.

I only ever really use the 36l bags for weekend or longer rides but they make the Rex look like a total bargearse. Most of the time it's got the 22s

So yeah it's a big himbo of a UJM. Goes pretty fast, tours ok, commutes well, can hold a bunch of poo poo, and old farts love it because it reminds them of when race bikes looked like this. I've had to tell a few people that "no, it's not that one, this is the one from the 90s they made to look like that one, before everyone got on the retro train".

Also I need to get my leather overpants to a tailor because a seam is splitting down at the ankle, and I actually was thinking about having some suspender hooks added if it's still usable.

gently caress I'm old.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Does a tank bag make any bike into a dad bike? I never took the tank bag off my D675

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

MomJeans420 posted:

Does a tank bag make any bike into a dad bike? I never took the tank bag off my D675

Any tools in that bag? Glasses cleaning kit? Bottle of ibuprofen? Extra pair of socks?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think the tankbag contents determine the dadliness as Gorson says. In my permanent tankbag, I have extra earplugs, a small roll of toilet paper, and one of those single use thermacare heat therapy wrap things. Also my first aid kit tends to follow me wherever but always ends up in there.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I think the tankbag contents determine the dadliness as Gorson says. In my permanent tankbag, I have extra earplugs, a small roll of toilet paper, and one of those single use thermacare heat therapy wrap things. Also my first aid kit tends to follow me wherever but always ends up in there.

earplugs, weed, cigs, garage door opener. dad-adjacent right here

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Mine is flat tire kit, usb power bank, masks, wet wipes for egregiously messy bug impacts, and uh I think a couple Rok straps I've never used

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Gorson posted:

Any tools in that bag? Glasses cleaning kit? Bottle of ibuprofen? Extra pair of socks?

How about a neck gaiter, muscle relaxants for my back (never actually needed them while riding though), ephedrine, ear plugs, power bank, gopro, knife, a pen, and a bottle of buckfast?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

How about a neck gaiter, muscle relaxants for my back (never actually needed them while riding though), ephedrine, ear plugs, power bank, gopro, knife, a pen, and a bottle of buckfast?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I'm a little in doubt on where to draw the line between touring and dad bikes? is there even a line? I mean I add heated grips, barkbusters/wind deflectors for the hands and at least something to have good soft luggage mounting points on any bike I own.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Maybe… only dads ride touring bikes?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don’t have a tank bag on the goldwing, because it has a false tank that actually contains some storage and the air box.

In the false tank storage is one thing: painters tape so I could tape over one of the two air box intakes when the weather gets really cold and it gets super cold blooded.

Big engineering dad who works on a drafting table energy.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
What makes a dadbiek?
Top boxes
Tank bags
Storage galore
Windscreens
Heated gear controllers
Ability to rack miles at speed in comfort

And perhaps a glovebox

(Yes its basically a tool truck with all the under-seat storage)

PO ran a tank bag, I don't.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
From my limited observations:

Touring - Happily married dadbike
Harley - Unhappily married dadbike
Large ADV - Divorced dadbike

Also, is a bonneville a dad bike, or just a boomer bike?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

My dadbike is a 200cc VanVan with a 47L top case that I bought after 10 years of not riding. There is a cargo net that I like because it reminds me of Kevin Costner's badass rigging in Waterworld.

I get out-accelerated by cars and that's great because I'm working on not giving a gently caress.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

A GSXF with some hard luggage makes a great dad bike.

A dad age coworker of mine has a large property, and has a friend's GSXF from 98 (i think the specific thing is called Katana, so weird import thing?) sitting in one of his sheds. This year it barely left the shed, so the owner (who's getting to post dad age) is probably gonna sell it. For 500 bucks, with a 2 year old chain and tires. It's in great shape because it does get ridden a few times a year.

I am jealous. That's even better value for money than my FZR...

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

What impact does the rider make on dadbike? I mean, is every bike this guy gets on a dadbike?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Remy Marathe posted:

My dadbike is a 200cc VanVan with a 47L top case

Legit dadbike. Sometimes it’s about the challenge

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Toe Rag posted:

What impact does the rider make on dadbike? I mean, is every bike this guy gets on a dadbike?

yes, both because of the full hi viz suit and modular helmet and because he pays extra for a license plate that states the model of the motorcycle it's on

edit: I completely missed that he was walking into a coffee shop. jesus h

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 12, 2021

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I also carry a cargo net at all times because that poo poo is handy. Sometimes you see something neat that you need to pick up and take home.

Vanvan with a giant tail box is very dad. Anything Capt HiViz rides becomes dad.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

yes, both because of the full hi viz suit and modular helmet and because he pays extra for a license plate that states the model of the motorcycle it's on

edit: I completely missed that he was walking into a coffee shop. jesus h

also he paid double extra for the black and yellow plate and blue bottle coffee is in san francisco

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Holy poo poo I can pay money for a black and yellow plate?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah they introduced it like 5 years ago I think? Maybe longer than that.

For those outside California, black/yellow plates were coveted because it meant the vehicle had always been registered in California and therefore likely didn't have rust/corrosion issues. CalTrans/DOT introduced the option to "buy" a yellow/black plate and everyone was mad.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I see those black and yellow CA plates in AZ pretty often.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I guess this count's as a dadbike since he had three children.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That is a holy drat dad trifecta in that picture.

e: is that a 78ish LeBaron?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 13, 2021

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

e: is that a 78ish LeBaron?

89 Plymouth Caravelle.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

helno posted:

89 Plymouth Caravelle.

Oh. That is less exciting but still very practical.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Less exciting but practical, dad through and through.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A couple of my friends just bought a house in Maine that was apparently built between 1763 and 1783 and in the giant attached barn is a pair of early 80s Goldwings. They are still trying to figure out if the bikes stay with the house.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Possession is 9/10ths of the law.

They own those goldwings :clint:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

"What goldwings officer?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

A couple of my friends just bought a house in Maine that was apparently built between 1763 and 1783 and in the giant attached barn is a pair of early 80s Goldwings. They are still trying to figure out if the bikes stay with the house.

Congrats on their new 'oldwings.