Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Alterian posted:

Do you think he would try to come crawling back?

Having seen multiple relationships where one person blew their marriage up in that fashion, and then their relationship with the side piece fell apart, I am going to be entirely completely totally not at all shocked if he tries worming his way back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Having seen multiple relationships where one person blew their marriage up in that fashion, and then their relationship with the side piece fell apart, I am going to be entirely completely totally not at all shocked if he tries worming his way back in.
Anyone this happens to deserves so much better than returning to "that".

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

Saw this article and thought of this thread. This years mother box in finland. Gonna have to google translate it tho. The corona epidemic is apparently creating a bit of a baby boom so they are releasing 2022 version early because the 2021 stock has run out.

https://svenska.yle.fi/a/7-10009996

Selfish question: Is there a way to buy one and ship it over here? They had a local knockoff version here, but they stopped doing it in 2020 due to something something. We’re expecting in January and I don’t think they’ll bring it back before then.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I would have loved to get a baby box like that. So insanely useful

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
God I hope he tries to come crawling back, it would feel so good to say YOU DID THIS TO YOURSELF. His parents are kind of in the dark, he doesn’t tell them anything, they only hear what’s going on from me. He stays there most nights but not all the time, basically comes and goes as he pleases. A few months ago his mom indicated that she was getting tired of him staying there, but they are definitely the kind of parents who would rather enable than cause conflict.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I just want to give you the visual of a 6-year-old girl and a 4-year-old boy dancing their little hind ends off to "Gangnam Style" and singing about the "heeeeeeey six-feet lady" :kimchi:

Koivunen posted:

God I hope he tries to come crawling back, it would feel so good to say YOU DID THIS TO YOURSELF. His parents are kind of in the dark, he doesn’t tell them anything, they only hear what’s going on from me. He stays there most nights but not all the time, basically comes and goes as he pleases. A few months ago his mom indicated that she was getting tired of him staying there, but they are definitely the kind of parents who would rather enable than cause conflict.

Laugh in his loving face and slam the door. Preferably while making as many obscene gestures from as many cultures as possible.

I am far from perfect. Far from perfect. I have made my fair share of E/N fuckups but at least I have the presence of mind to recognize that I have been a Complete and Utter Piece of poo poo and to recognize said CUPSes in the wild.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

D34THROW posted:

I just want to give you the visual of a 6-year-old girl and a 4-year-old boy dancing their little hind ends off to "Gangnam Style" and singing about the "heeeeeeey six-feet lady" :kimchi:

My 18mo loves Gangnam style. He does a little wiggly dance and then runs around on his tippy toes when it comes on.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Koivunen posted:

Similar thing happened with my ex-wife, but prior to having kids. She cheated on me, denied, I initiated divorce…then she tried to come crawling back. It felt good to say gently caress no to her.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Any stay home parents with advice to keep me from going nutty? It's been about two months since I started solo when my wife went back to work, and I think I'm going a little silly only talking to a 6 month old.

Although he does laugh at my jokes.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Kingtheninja posted:

Any stay home parents with advice to keep me from going nutty? It's been about two months since I started solo when my wife went back to work, and I think I'm going a little silly only talking to a 6 month old.

Not a ‘true’ stay at home parent but- get yourself outside each day, even if it’s only for a little bit. Gear up for bad weather and go anyway. Keep a time for you to get babyless exercise and/or social time. Exercise is a game changer once you’re getting enough sleep to be able to force yourself to do it.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

one day you too will announce to an entirely empty room that daddy needs the toilet now

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

I was never that good at it but it can help to have a list of activities planned for the dead times in the week, even if they’re very minor. Like you hit a lull, check out your sheet, and see, “oh it’s time for banging spoons on mixing bowls!” Basically, halfway through the day I was always too brain dead to think of any fun activities, so I relied on my creativity from a calmer time for something for us to do.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

BadSamaritan posted:

Not a ‘true’ stay at home parent but- get yourself outside each day, even if it’s only for a little bit. Gear up for bad weather and go anyway. Keep a time for you to get babyless exercise and/or social time. Exercise is a game changer once you’re getting enough sleep to be able to force yourself to do it.

Seconding this. The daily walk keeps me sane. It helps that my kid is usually well behaved in the stroller. We either go to the 7/11 a few blocks away or the Tim Hortons a 25 minute walk away, depending on the weather. I get myself a slurpee or an iced capp as my daily treat. I’ve being going on daily walks with the kiddo since she was just a week or so old.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Kingtheninja posted:

I try to break up the day with as others mentioned a daily walk/drive to get coffee in the morning, do chores like cooking/making baby food while the baby bangs on toys in the hi chair or rolls around on the floor next to me, tidy up while she scoots around in her walker, etc. I also nurse very frequently in small amounts to kinda break up the time. I set a certain time to go play with toys in her room and such too.

I also try to go to my parents once or twice a week, go to as many small safe events as I can to keep us busy etc.

But every day is about 1000 years long right now so.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kingtheninja posted:

Any stay home parents with advice to keep me from going nutty?
Start watching daytime soaps on network television. Their existence will suddenly make a lot of sense.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Kingtheninja posted:

Interview at random jobs for fun. There’s always a hiring manager or recruiter to talk to while the baby is napping. Oh you meant not nutty, nevermind.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

We got a play structure put up for the kid. We made the mistake of showing him it before dinner. He cried and wailed for so long when we brought him inside to eat.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was blessed with two months paid paternity leave

Basically yeah like everyone else said, babies travel very very well. Throw them in the stroller and walk down to the nearest park

Throw them in the car and head down to Starbucks, or go to your city's open air downtown area. Babies bundle up just fine, turns out they didn't have Ikea couches or cable tv for the first million years of humanity, it's very safe to take your baby for a stroll if it's 40F so long as you bring plenty of blankets

Worst case scenario hop in the car and drive like an hour away to that thing you always wanted to go see. I drove all over northern California with mine and exposed her to all sorts of new plants and pollen and bug bites not in her normal environment

The zoo has season passes for a reason, and on weekdays it's just absolutely packed with strollers

Do a Google search for "arboretum" that's usually code for "awesome stroller park"

Staying in the house 24/7 is going to make you feel like :smithicide: if you never leave

In a pre pandemic world I'd suggest the mall, but right now that's probably the best way to get covid as a parent edit: best way after eating indoors in a crowded restaurant

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 10, 2021

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I live in the Midwest so the weather is a little bit of an issue but thanks to global warming we've got some days in the 50s next week!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Thinking about the goon with the baby in the nicu. Hope he’s doing ok.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

King Hong Kong posted:

Love to have our son get sick right before the long weekend and then have him constantly cough and sneeze in my face so that I’ll be sick for the next week!

Lol I was optimistic about “the next week.” At least he was fine.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
My kid is constantly sick. I don't know what to do, I feel like I'm at my wit's end. It was ear infection after ear infection for a while. Then it was gastroenteritis. Now it's bronchiolitis with a few bouts of diarrhea thrown in, just to gently caress with us and make us worry about his hydration status again.

My cousin who's a pediatrician very gingerly raised the idea of getting his immune system evaluated. She said she doesn't think he has any major disorder because he hasn't had any severe (=hospitalization) illnesses but maybe has a problem with his IgA antibodies or something.

He's still not walking and he'll be 2 next month. I've been thinking for the longest time "as long as he's walking by the time he's 2..." and now it looks like that's not going to happen. Maybe if he weren't constantly sick, and he were eating regularly, he'd have the strength to work on walking. I just don't see it happening with the endless illnesses. Wanted to have him weaned by the time he was 2 also but when breastmilk is the only thing he'll eat I can't take it away.

I'm always prone to depression and anxiety but I'm more depressed than I've ever been lately. This is just so loving hard.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
That sounds so so tough. I’m just spitballing, and you should get your child evaluated however you can, but I feel like you hear lots of stories of people being sickly as children and turning out fine. And you can take some satisfaction that doctors are better now than they’ve ever been.

Things happen and you do your best and you also have to remember to be grateful of yourself and proud of yourself for making the best of a tough situation.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

boquiabierta posted:

My kid is constantly sick.
Illness aside, and I can't comment one way or the other on your cousin's advice, but what does your son's pediatrician say about all this?

Are there early intervention programs where you live? If he's not walking after 18 months I would seek an evaluation for that, but that's something his pediatrician should have already raised with you. Similarly I'd be concerned about his inability/unwillingness to eat.

Those two things are already making this really difficult for you and then you have the illness on top. But regarding his illnesses, has his pediatrician discussed possibly getting ear tubes placed, or due to his bronchiolitic episodes, his possibly having asthma and potentially benefitting from a controller steroid?

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 11, 2021

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
His actual pediatrician has been trying to get him evaluated for ages, but she’s working within a system that is slow at best. I think she’s really done her best to advocate for him but the public healthcare system (we’re in Spain) is really lacking. We’ve been going to a physiotherapist for his walking but those sessions have seemed to me to be useless and they are so overloaded we can’t get regular appointments. He’s seen neuro, GI, allergist, ENT. They didn’t want to place tubes for some reason.

We’re working on getting a new pediatrician in the private healthcare system. We just need some new eyes on the whole situation and some appointments that move faster.

Thanks for the support. It’s so hard.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

boquiabierta posted:

Thanks for the support. It’s so hard.

This sounds so incredibly stressful and difficult, I’m sorry you are going through this, especially with all the trouble with Spain’s healthcare system. I can’t remember, are you in Spain permanently?

Re: Taking kids outside. It’s a great idea to take your kids outside every single day, unless there’s like a tornado or something. It gives you a break from being inside, and the fresh air does wonders for their sleep. In the summer, many of my kid’s naps are outside. In the winter, as long as you bundle them up, kids can be out in very cold temperatures.

I just got back from taking my two year old and six month old to the park. It’s 18 degrees F and windy, and not everyone has shoveled the snow from their sidewalks so getting there and back took forever, but it feels great to be outdoors. Last winter when my daughter was 1.5 years old, we went to the park, beach, hiking trails, etc all winter long. The only days we would stay home is when there were windchill advisories for like -20F or so, because then skin exposure is dangerous.

Another thing that has really helped my single mom/ stay at home situation was finding some podcasts that I like to listen to. It’s a nice break from kid music and noise. I listen while we go on walks or when I’m cooking/ cleaning. Tig and Cheryl: True Story makes me laugh out loud.

Having a bit of a routine can help break up ur day too, like breakfast, music and play time, outside, lunch, nap, outside, snack, art time, toy time, dinner, TV wind down time, bath, bed. For example.

But yeah, the stay at home life is really difficult. The days are long and the months are short. Finding ways to keep your kids entertained and happy day after day is exhausting.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

We go outside every single day too unless it's like -30 air temperature (we live in WI)

If you dress them appropriately for the weather, kids can handle being outside in cold temps.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
If only my 2 year old didn’t have a meltdown every time we ask him to put on a coat.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Eggnogium posted:

If only my 2 year old didn’t have a meltdown every time we ask him to put on a coat.

Let him go out without the coat (but bring it along). He’ll either change his mind and ask for it or he won’t - but that way you don’t have to fight about it.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

cailleask posted:

Let him go out without the coat (but bring it along). He’ll either change his mind and ask for it or he won’t - but that way you don’t have to fight about it.

Yep!
I've found my son runs hotter than me so sometimes he just doesn't need/want the coat. Other times he is ready for it after two minutes if being out without it :)

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Pretty sure we all have RSV again. Same symptoms and just as miserable as when we had it a couple months ago. Trying really hard to keep my kids out of urgent care or the ER this time around. My toddler is exhausted and SO emotional. Baby is fussy AF. Grandmas don’t want to come over to avoid getting sick. Baby’s daddy “has a fever” and can’t help. It’s been a miserable few days.

They’d better be well by Tuesday, I have them both in daycare on my day off for the first time ever and I’ve been looking forward to having eight hours all to myself.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Koivunen posted:

Baby’s daddy “has a fever” and can’t help. It’s been a miserable few days.
He can't possibly be asking for any kind of custody right, with his outright refusals to do any parenting?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

ExcessBLarg! posted:

He can't possibly be asking for any kind of custody right, with his outright refusals to do any parenting?

For loving real.

Hope you and your kids are doing better this morning, koivunen.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

From what I’ve seen it seems like she lives in a lovely state since iirc she has to pay alimony or something to him and give custody rights even though he cheated on her.

I’m not a lawyer and I think he has a right to see his kid as long as he isn’t being abusive, etc, but the alimony makes zero loving sense. Like dude, you straight up cheated on your wife. Why the gently caress should she have to pay you!?

My ex and I divorced before kids and did it without lawyers because we really didn’t have much. I suspected she cheated on me but didn’t have evidence to back it up until after everything was finalized and she asked to come back. Had I known she cheated I would have lawyered up, but it sounds like in K’s state, it doesn’t matter which is so loving aggravating.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Kingtheninja posted:

You will need to find time for yourself. Whether it’s an hour or what, try to schedule and find time for yourself to decompress.

Also when baby sleeps, you should rest as well. It may be tempting to do stuff when the baby is asleep but try to rest when they are asleep.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Yeah I’m in a no fault state so it’s all incredibly stupid.

Well, I was having trouble breathing overnight, so this morning I packed up everyone and went to urgent care. We have parainfluenza, rhinovirus, and adenovirus. Toddler has an ear infection, I probably have pneumonia. Albuterol for everyone and lots of other medication. At first my daughter was crying and saying NO THANK YOU for her nebulizer, but when she saw the dinosaur mask breathing smoke it was the coolest thing ever and then she didn’t want to stop.

Woo hoo it’s never going to end.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I was dressing my 4yo daughter this morning, just like any other morning, when she asked me sadly, "Daddy, why do you always dress me like a boy?" Yes, I was dressing her in what are technically 'boys' clothes, a blue striped tshirt with chest pocket and some baggy sweatpants, but man does she knock me off my feet with her own opinions and feelings much more frequently now. I'm not ready for it!

We agreed to put her in a grey tshirt with a black silhouette of puffins dressed up as pirates because, well, that's a girl shirt(?). Why do they get their own thoughts- I just need them to stay my little puppets forever.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I utterly despise the concept of gendered clothing and toys. My youngest adores wearing his big sister's hand-me-downs in all their pink and purple glory :smith:

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
We feel the same way. My nearly 2yo son is adorable in his sister's hand me down pink on pink strip PJs and pink overalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Kind of a weird question but does anyone have any good strategies for flossing a toddler’s teeth? Our 19-month old hates it when he gets stuff stuck between his teeth. Searching online hasn’t been too helpful as all instructions out there seem to assume your toddler will let you put floss in his mouth without freaking out/biting you, which is contrary to our experience.