Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wasn’t havent a dig :) i’m pleased for you. honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

akadajet posted:

I save money for years then spend it on dumb things. consumerism, baby

*looks at own wall of guitars*

yeah

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I should probably get lessons instead of butchering music on my own like I’ve been doing for years

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kazinsal posted:

*looks at own wall of guitars*

yeah

im about to rotate my oldest guitar (a '65 teisco) to wall ornament duty since it looks cool but is a horrible guitar, to make room for the bass on the way

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i saw a woman getting into a brodozer that was almost twice her height today

the kid getting into the back seat had an even worse time of it

e: wrong thread but i guess it's about big pickups so it's ok. LEAVIN IT

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

i saw a woman getting into a brodozer that was almost twice her height today

the kid getting into the back seat had an even worse time of it

e: wrong thread but i guess it's about big pickups so it's ok. LEAVIN IT

making music with a raspberry pi controlled whistle tip on my exhaust

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im about to bite the bullet and buy the extremely expensive bridge to do the rehab on my most cherished guitar, and saw this on the kahler site

Lil excessive if you ask me.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

akadajet posted:

I should probably get lessons instead of butchering music on my own like I’ve been doing for years

Me too. I could really use keyboard lessons.

Too bad my work schedule is *totally* out of sync with real life... it's some weird 7 days on/2 days off/8 days on/4 days off thing, with start times all over the place, so scheduling *anything* is a goddamned nightmare.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
that is too many strings jonny

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
i dunno if it's still a thing, but there used to be a premium on being self taught in the US and some weird prejudice against taking lessons. this is one of the stupidest things i've ever seen from a country that's p good at coming up with stupid things.

in my experience the two things you really need to improve as a musician are a properly functioning and set up instrument and a good teacher. these past five years of having a good teacher have almost entirely revolved around undoing all the lovely habits i picked up from years of having no teacher or, even worse, bad teachers.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Guys, it's december! Time to break out the Christmas Music books! :3:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Tayter Swift posted:

oh god im not actually doing something like that, to be clear. somebody else made it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Tayter Swift posted:

not enough imo

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

MrQueasy posted:

Guys, it's december! Time to break out the Christmas Music books! :3:

sat down this morning at 11:20AM to relearn and play along to all i want for christmas is you

abby had to go out to "go potty" (ie sniff around and eat dirt) at 11:21AM

tater wanted a full walk directly after that, then it was time to get ready for an mri appointment

i got through half a verse!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my dog starts begging for attention whenever i sit down to practice

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nargle rubs her cheek on the D string tuner on my bass and then looks at me weird when i yell at it and ask why its constantly out of tune

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i have played piano a lot in my life and taken lessons and all, but when it comes to getting a real piano i still can't justify it to myself if only for the space it will occupy in my apartment

this discussion has made me think about taking a look at those nord stage things which all the cool pros use to do stuff, so it's a good assumption that it feels and sounds close enough to the real thing

oh my god it costs like 3k€ gently caress that

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

nargle rubs her cheek on the D string tuner on my bass and then looks at me weird when i yell at it and ask why its constantly out of tune

Cats rarely have perfect pitch ime

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

Cats rarely have perfect pitch ime

with dogs you don't even need to pitch, they'll go and try fetch anyway

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Penisface posted:

i have played piano a lot in my life and taken lessons and all, but when it comes to getting a real piano i still can't justify it to myself if only for the space it will occupy in my apartment

Sounds like you need phenazepam.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

time to let it warm up (been in a cold truck all day) and give it a shot

flatwounds will be here monday and then it's 60s time

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
our cat will sit next to my wife and listen while she’s practicing piano unless she’s playing Beethoven or Mozart, he really hates them

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

time to let it warm up (been in a cold truck all day) and give it a shot

flatwounds will be here monday and then it's 60s time

congrats on the new noise maker

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
update: ive been noodling on it all evening and after a string change it'll be a bad bitch, i love it. the short scale means its easier to do rubbery bendy goof stuff

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

"This is Jonny 504 asking you to slap like for italian accent reveal"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Penisface posted:

this discussion has made me think about taking a look at those nord stage things which all the cool pros use to do stuff, so it's a good assumption that it feels and sounds close enough to the real thing

oh my god it costs like 3k€ gently caress that

roland fp30x or fp60x, just get the good 3-pedal box, the smaller ones will skitter all over the floor.

if you mostly care about piano then that will be good enough, nords are for when you also give a poo poo about rhodes and tonewheels and both of those are passable on the fp series

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
we did Christmas early because we’re not going to be home for it, so I got these guys today. now i gotta figure out how to sync them with my daw

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

what's the one on the left? i have tonic, office, and street fighter

pocket operators own. my fav of the three is tonic i think bc it's easiest to use. i've never been able to really get a good track going with office even though i love the sounds it has

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
the left one is the po-12. they came in a set with cases and little tiny cables but I gotta go get some batteries. figure these’ll be great for sketching out ideas while traveling and poo poo like that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sat down with the screwdrivers and hex wrenches and set up the new bass

intonation tweaked on two strings, other two were dead on
truss rod tightened 1/4 turn
action lowered WAYYYYY down

it shreds now

also went ahead and re-setup the 5 string as it felt like it was strung with tightropes between skyscrapers compared to the ibanez

also playing much better

you can totally feel the string tension difference between the two when tweaking the saddles and such, it's neat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

https://samplesfrommars.com/collect...SZTuNvSOzWeHT78

if anyone willing to give me a moment of their time:

this seems like a good deal. or is it one of those things that is the kind of poo poo you get anywhere ???

my circuit uses samples for the drum machine so maybe this would be all I need for life basically

I jumpted on this because my drum machine needs good samples and it was taking forever finding them here and there and this will be golden

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Achmed Jones posted:

what's the one on the left? i have tonic, office, and street fighter

pocket operators own. my fav of the three is tonic i think bc it's easiest to use. i've never been able to really get a good track going with office even though i love the sounds it has

i never bothered with them or gave them a chance since they look like weird toys but i've been fiddling with them all day and these things are fun

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Laserjet 4P posted:

roland fp30x or fp60x, just get the good 3-pedal box, the smaller ones will skitter all over the floor.

if you mostly care about piano then that will be good enough, nords are for when you also give a poo poo about rhodes and tonewheels and both of those are passable on the fp series

i have a roland a33 now. i do care about rhodes and all the other retro wurlies and organs, but that part is mostly covered by my roland xv5080 rack box. i figured that if i ever update, it will be to a doepfer top of the line keybed, so i keep the touchy feely part separate from the sound generation

my current setup is inspiring enough so i think i will not mess around with it too much though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tayter Swift posted:

It's an incredibly good deal, although they have that sale regularly. I picked it up in April and it's... a lot of samples.

I downloaded the entire set to my pc to start working through. you werent joking there is a poo poo load here

BUT theres a massive amount of redundancy so when I strip down everything that aint wav files itll be better. I wonder if I am capable of writing a script to do so.

then load up my drum machine for good times.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
idiot spare time project: bout to crack open the new talman

ordered these today

So i'm replacing the tone control with a "varitone" circuit. Basically in normal passive instruments, you have a capacitor to ground, and a potentiometer in series with that. The signal goes through this on its way out the jack. Now how this works is for all frequencies, the resistance of the pot is the same (so they get attenuated the same) but the 'resistance' (actually reactance) of the capacitor decreases as the frequency goes up. Net result: highs are attenuated more than lows. That's why it's a high freq rolloff.

A varitone works differently because there's no pot to turn; instead, you use a rotary switch to switch different capacitors to ground. This, combined with the inductance of the pickups, forms a low pass filter with a response _peak_ in the mids just below the cutoff. So, if you throw a rotary switch in with different values of cap, you get a series of tones to select from, the end output is higher - and most importantly, you don't have to set the tone control to exactly 7.2 to replicate that sound you got last night. It's presets! I ordered those two big caps just for experimentation; i have a pretty wide array of caps in the stash that will work for this but was missing that decade of values.

Jazz basses are wired with a volume/volume/tone setup. So, i'm going to replace the tone pot with the varitone (the chicken head knob is for that, i think it'll look cool), the neck pickup volume with the pull pot that I'll set up to put both pickups in either parallel (normal operation) or series (more volume, bit of mid boost), and the bridge pickup volume with a pull pot that flips the phase on the bridge pickup for the weird honk noises. It should be a pretty versatile instrument!

(and before you say 'you just bought that!', yeah, i did, with the intent of fuckin with it. low investment low risk)

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Penisface posted:

i have a roland a33 now. i do care about rhodes and all the other retro wurlies and organs, but that part is mostly covered by my roland xv5080 rack box.
yeah the fps basically take their sounds from the fantom range

quote:

i figured that if i ever update, it will be to a doepfer top of the line keybed, so i keep the touchy feely part separate from the sound generation

https://www.kawai-global.com/product/vpc1/

doepfer gets the keys from fatar, their main selling point is compact size

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

idiot spare time project: bout to crack open the new talman

ordered these today

So i'm replacing the tone control with a "varitone" circuit. Basically in normal passive instruments, you have a capacitor to ground, and a potentiometer in series with that. The signal goes through this on its way out the jack. Now how this works is for all frequencies, the resistance of the pot is the same (so they get attenuated the same) but the 'resistance' (actually reactance) of the capacitor decreases as the frequency goes up. Net result: highs are attenuated more than lows. That's why it's a high freq rolloff.

A varitone works differently because there's no pot to turn; instead, you use a rotary switch to switch different capacitors to ground. This, combined with the inductance of the pickups, forms a low pass filter with a response _peak_ in the mids just below the cutoff. So, if you throw a rotary switch in with different values of cap, you get a series of tones to select from, the end output is higher - and most importantly, you don't have to set the tone control to exactly 7.2 to replicate that sound you got last night. It's presets! I ordered those two big caps just for experimentation; i have a pretty wide array of caps in the stash that will work for this but was missing that decade of values.

Jazz basses are wired with a volume/volume/tone setup. So, i'm going to replace the tone pot with the varitone (the chicken head knob is for that, i think it'll look cool), the neck pickup volume with the pull pot that I'll set up to put both pickups in either parallel (normal operation) or series (more volume, bit of mid boost), and the bridge pickup volume with a pull pot that flips the phase on the bridge pickup for the weird honk noises. It should be a pretty versatile instrument!

(and before you say 'you just bought that!', yeah, i did, with the intent of fuckin with it. low investment low risk)

this poo poo is cool, thanks for explaining this too

is that also in effect like turning up the resonance in a low pass? that would be sick

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yes, exactly! Here's a sample curve from a varitone type circuit with different caps selected.

The inductance of the pickup coil and capacitor form what's known as a 'tank circuit' that ignores freqs below the resonant freq, enhance it around there, and cut off anything above.

Should be fun to goof with. I hear they sound like a half-cracked wah pedal which a lot of people have used for tonal coloring throughout the years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in my setup I was trying to go DAWLess, but I think I am going to use a DAW, this mac book pro, basically as a mixer but mostly so I can actually record myself, the output from the amp is awful

synth - > USB interface -> ableton
circuit tracks (drum machine) -> USB interface -> ableton

I also have MIDI running back and forward between the synth and drum machine, one of the channels on the drum machine is midi so I can "record" the midi on the drum machine from either itself or the synth, and also play the synth from the drum machine itself, either live or sequenced

I also have both of those MIDIs (via usb) running into the macbook pro so I can record thre notes I am playing if I have found something good.
ALSO this lets me play VSTs in ableton from either the synth keyboard (works well but have to turn off the volume on the synth) or from the drum machine because that has two midi channels and the other one just pumps notes into abletons VSTs so I can sequence from the drum machine

and I have arturia analog V thing that is just a million presets, some are pretty good. so I can play that from the drum machine too

this is the circuit, and so after choosing a scale, the 8 pads across become the 8 notes in a scale and you can press a button so all 4 rows are an octave each so you can play pretty decently into abletons VST.

and another cool thing is playing notes from the drum machine into the synth but having the synth on arpeggioator mode.

this setup allows for a lot of ways to play it, considering its' three devices plus an AMP, and only using a DAW as a mixer and VST player

the amp and the drum machine and the mbp are all battery powered. the synth is the only thing that isn't and I have everything I need except a battery now

I have a 12v regulator so if the battery output is high it wont fry the synth
a 12v -> 5V regulator so I can run my LED display thing from the battery too

big question will be, how long does it work for?

also - I need an outfit. I have a wizards hat and neon glasses. I need a robe. and I flagged the idea of having a curtain surrounding the thing, will just have a curtain at the front.

I decided I am going to try to really nail out some tracks. I fiddle a lot, I need to really make some "songs", and the way a song will go is that I will start with nothing and build up the sound as I go, but I need to really define some definite routes that I know will sound good time after time. and then I will go setup somewhere out in nature, and blast it out, and record onto ableton but also video myself. and post this t youtube and instagram.

its helping keeping me alive

unforgivable waveforms is the name