Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
fedora is installed after some slight trouble with getting my hdd mounted as /home. i can fullscreen video without the window size changing and it has stock gnome instead of ubuntu gnome. immediate improvements all around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

mycophobia posted:

fedora is installed after some slight trouble with getting my hdd mounted as /home. i can fullscreen video without the window size changing and it has stock gnome instead of ubuntu gnome. immediate improvements all around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNfjcazPbNA

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
and mame is totally nonfunctional, cool. will i never find a home?!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

Fedora is great just make sure you enable rpm fusion repos and on the greeter select x11. Wayland might be alright for and GPUs but boy howdy is it still terrible for nvidia.

Why is windowing so complicated

i heard that wayland + nvidia works better with fedora 35 (might have even been itt) but havent really looked into it yet

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i think im going back to debian stable and getting firefox by some alternate means maybe. thank you all for taking this journey with me

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mycophobia posted:

i think im going back to debian stable and getting firefox by some alternate means maybe. thank you all for taking this journey with me

easy enough to just use the official firefox snap afaik, but otoh also seems a real low-effort win to go on debian testing

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

freeasinbeer posted:

if you really hate K8s that much; the real hipster alternative to K8s is Nomad, way simpler and solves a bunch of the stuff K8s did with better tooling like consul and vault.

agreedo, i see nomad as like the orchestration version of postgres: it does everything that 90% of people will ever need. few years ago that wasn't so true but hashicorp has done a lot to catch up--like namespaces were open-sourced a year ago. if work was looking to migrate of ECS today instead of four years ago it isn't clear to me at all that we'd choose k8s. now we've made such a big investment in k8s, and gotten it working well enough for us, that we're unlikely to migrate absent running into a problem that's just impossible to overcome period

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Nomnom Cookie posted:

agreedo, i see nomad as like the orchestration version of postgres: it does everything that 90% of people will ever need. few years ago that wasn't so true but hashicorp has done a lot to catch up--like namespaces were open-sourced a year ago. if work was looking to migrate of ECS today instead of four years ago it isn't clear to me at all that we'd choose k8s. now we've made such a big investment in k8s, and gotten it working well enough for us, that we're unlikely to migrate absent running into a problem that's just impossible to overcome period

I might still lean into K8s because of the ecosystem, I feel like I still might have to reinvent stuff in nomad like ECS.

also k3s which started this derail uses SQLite by default or Postgres/MySQL for its backend if you want.

the reason why truenas scale used it; is because docker compose or docker itself didn’t match what jails/plugins could do as easily and they typically want to provide a whole plugin ecosystem for truenas which sorta comes for free via helm charts with K8s.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

easy enough to just use the official firefox snap afaik, but otoh also seems a real low-effort win to go on debian testing

testing's still on a really old version of firefox. both ubuntu and fedora crossed the "weird random poo poo happening" tolerance threshold pretty early on that debian stable never has for me in a couple of years of use so i'd like to stick to it as much as possible, and by that logic i see no real reason to move to testing. i downloaded the tar.bz2 file from mozilla and unzipped it in /opt and im just gonna go with that

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

post hole digger posted:

i heard that wayland + nvidia works better with fedora 35 (might have even been itt) but havent really looked into it yet

It does not, in my experience.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

mycophobia posted:

testing's still on a really old version of firefox. both ubuntu and fedora crossed the "weird random poo poo happening" tolerance threshold pretty early on that debian stable never has for me in a couple of years of use so i'd like to stick to it as much as possible, and by that logic i see no real reason to move to testing. i downloaded the tar.bz2 file from mozilla and unzipped it in /opt and im just gonna go with that

Sounds like a win to me. i think there's a flatpak of it as well.. but ive never had a good experience with flatpak

i'm also on debian stable but i don't really install anything using apt, i use guix instead. i can get more up to date packages and if anything breaks after an update i just roll it back.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mycophobia posted:

try windows op, it's the most functional linux distribution in tyool almost-2022

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
poo poo randomly broke for me in windows 10 way more often than in debian stable

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

try macos then

it's a bit more stable, but limited so ymmv

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
macos is cool. or at least was, i havent used it since like 10.5

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mycophobia posted:

macos is cool. or at least was, i havent used it since like 10.5
that was the last good version, op

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
well then my last mac mini picked a good time to poo poo out on me while i didnt have any money and had to accept a donor pc to put ubuntu on, like 12 years ago or w/e

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Packages can stay broken in Debian testing for a really long time. I don't recommend it unless you very specifically want to help beta test the next stable release.

mycophobia posted:

Any reason you've got so much resistance against snaps/flatpaks? I don't like using them for some things b/c containerization gets in my way. But I don't ever interact with the browser from the rest of the OS besides downloading and uploading files. Snapped spotify, snapped firefox, even snapped retroarch has been good to me.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
im going to be honest and say i dont really know anything about these container format things. i use an appimage for avidemux which is cool

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

that was the last good version, op

this is how i know you've never used it

snow leopard motherfucker

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Rooney McNibnug posted:

It does not, in my experience.

Same. It was stuttery as hell even in 2D with a GTX1080, so I went back to X11.

Guess I'll just have to buy a second 4k screen and sell the 1080p one so I can have the same resolution everywhere #firstworldproblems

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol at immediatly throwing away an install at the slightest bit of hurdle

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

mycophobia posted:

im going to be honest and say i dont really know anything about these container format things. i use an appimage for avidemux which is cool

The main thing to know is that if you are most concerned about browser security, snaps/flatpaks add extra security over unzipping to opt. The browser will run in a sandbox, you'll get the latest updates, and there's a better chance dependencies won't have vulnerabilities. IDK much about appimage these days, but it's the same idea as old appimage except it uses kernel features to better protect your system from vulnerable or poorly packaged software.

I only compile software I want or need to have full access to my system anymore. If I need the latest version of something I use snap.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 10, 2021

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

carry on then posted:

lion: natural scrolling

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Tankakern posted:

lol at immediatly throwing away an install at the slightest bit of hurdle

well i was in a distro hopping mood anyway and it's trivial to install stuff these days so why settle. yknow

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mycophobia posted:

i just tried it and it's fine. you're holding it wrong, op

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
maybe it was the shader i had enabled in the mame.ini i carried over. idk it didn't work!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

post hole digger posted:

Yea no

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
the one thing I cannot figure out is how the rfuck k8s in the tayool 2022 still doesn't support swap (ok I just looked and it's an alpha feature)

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
I have no idea how they have convinced people that their product, which totally dumps decades of investment and research in memory management, is ready for prime time

and I say this as someone who runs k8s in production

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

my homie dhall posted:

I have no idea how they have convinced people that their product, which totally dumps decades of investment and research in memory management, is ready for prime time

and I say this as someone who runs k8s in production

i am shocked, shocked that the company who publishes chrome and android studio doesn't give a poo poo about wasting ram

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mycophobia posted:

hey debian stable friend
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=998679#42
the bug that was holding firefox-esr back seems to have been fixed, so it should be updating from debian again soon

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

carry on then posted:

intel only :rolleyes:

10.4 was the best looking, anyway

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Truga posted:

hey debian stable friend
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=998679#42
the bug that was holding firefox-esr back seems to have been fixed, so it should be updating from debian again soon

oh cool

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hifi posted:

i've never had problems with fedora

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

carry on then posted:

10.5 is the last good version because it was the final one to support the powerbook g4, where the brushed aluminium look inspired the look of cocoa

had 10.6 supported the powerbook g4, it would've been the last good version (although if you went to the trouble of acquiring a development version, it could work but it meant no updates)

SYSV Fanfic posted:

The main thing to know is that if you are most concerned about browser security, snaps/flatpaks add extra security over unzipping to opt. The browser will run in a sandbox, you'll get the latest updates, and there's a better chance dependencies won't have vulnerabilities. IDK much about appimage these days, but it's the same idea as old appimage except it uses kernel features to better protect your system from vulnerable or poorly packaged software.

I only compile software I want or need to have full access to my system anymore. If I need the latest version of something I use snap.
application-enforced sandboxes are only as good as the application itself - proper sandboxing is enforced from an elevated privilege

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i bet osx 10.5 would have hella problems with firefox

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

10.5 is the last good version because it was the final one to support the powerbook g4, where the brushed aluminium look inspired the look of cocoa

had 10.6 supported the powerbook g4, it would've been the last good version (although if you went to the trouble of acquiring a development version, it could work but it meant no updates)

the first gen macbook pro was identical to the powerbook while being 5x faster. leopard is obsolete.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

carry on then posted:

the first gen macbook pro was identical to the powerbook while being 5x faster. leopard is obsolete.
it wasn't a powerbook though :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

application-enforced sandboxes are only as good as the application itself - proper sandboxing is enforced from an elevated privilege

https://ubuntu.com/core/smartstart/guide/snap-application-packaging

I think they use cgroups, FUSE guestmount, etc. You can segregate your own programs from each other.