Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Disney Plus just released a movie called Christmas...Again? which is a mix of two of my favourite movie genres, Christmas and time loop. It's extremely for kids and sappy and sentimental, which I'm fine with at this time of year, so I enjoyed it. I don't think they made the best use of the time loop gimmick, though. I dunno, the main character did do a fair bit of 'I can use my knowledge to do stuff in these situations', but also sometimes forwent that in favour of a bunch of 'I'm gonna do a bunch of completely unrelated things for fun.' It was fun tho. I think my revised list now that I've seen Map of Tiny Perfect Things and Christmas...Again? would be Map of Tiny Perfect Things just above ARQ, and Christmas..Again? just above Before I Fall, which maybe seems like a bit of a high ranking for it given its objective quality, but I enjoy unabashed Christmassy sentimentality so whatevs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

sigher posted:

Speaking about games, how's Deathloop? The concept seems interesting but the gameplay looked really dull.

I noticed nobody ever responded to this so I can tell you: you pretty much nailed it. it's OK. The gameplay isn't dull but it's the Arkane thing where you're doing OK shooting or good stealth. Level design is good, art design is very strong but wasn't much to my taste. Honestly the funnest part is other players invading your game a la Dark Souls and trying to murder you but a huge chunk of the playerbased turned this off so....

If you want a really good Time Loop video game that everyone promptly ignored try Lemnis Gate. It's really fun and interesting and totally flopped on release and is now being sold for less than 15 bucks. It even has local multiplayer on consoles!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

sigher posted:

What's an open time loop? Is that when one timeline doesn't care if the other one messes around?

Yes, I probably should've said a tangent or something. Basically when the time travel incident causes things to change and the new timeline just goes on instead of requiring further time travel to keep itself going in an infinite repetition. Think Terminator 2 breaking the cycle, not Terminator 1 creating it.

At the end of Wishmaster 1 the protagonist wishes that she had never found the magic gem the wishing demon is trapped in, and that causes nearly the entire movie's events to be erased and reset; the second movie continues from that point into an alternate sequence of events.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Annabelle Pee, have you seen +1?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

+1 is a really interesting take on the time aspect, it's also really dark.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just watched +1 and I think the premise was interesting but it was really dumb how most of the actions taken in the film were driven by the main character spotting a known unstable violent guy kill his double out of confusion, and then extrapolating from it (and selling everyone on the idea) that time twins have malicious intent and are homicidally violent towards their duplicates

Argue fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 10, 2021

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Easily explained by the characters being teenagers.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

keep in mind +1 came out the same year as that Time cover "the Me Me Me generation" and when a lot of media was centered around portraying millennials as hedonistic narcissists. +1 primarily wants to comment on and subvert that i think and having a plot that makes sense is secondary.

i remember really enjoying the visuals on that one though

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Watched Looper last night for the first time and like a lot of Rian Johnson films I enjoyed like half of it and found the other half frustrating. I wonder if it would have made a better short, as the premise of hit men that end up killing themselves is a really innovative and fun idea, but I don't think it could carry the whole film.

Given that the second half of the film really becomes a "would you kill Baby Hitler?" drama, rather than dwelling on the issues of running into yourself from the future. I find when sci fi works start introducing ~telekinetic powers~ in films that are about other things it comes across as desperate and that part really lost me.

Ah well, the art direction was really cool and I like watching JGL do cool stuff and act like Bruce Willis.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I liked the random psychic powers as a throwback to genre fiction of the 60s, when everyone just assumed psychic powers were real would eventually be discovered. The setting is also really interesting and I like the hints at what the collapse was like and how the two time periods reflect different states of recovery.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Shanty posted:

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. A black hole sucks time and matter out of the universe: a white hole returns it.
So, this thing's spewing time back into the universe, and that's why they start experiencing these curious time phenomena on board.
So, what is it?

I watched Source Code last night. Pretty interesting, but the ending definitely feels like it was tacked on to please some focus groups. If that ending was the original, then they could have done a lot more with it.

If I understood correctly, the premise of the ending is that whenever he gets sent back into the Source Code to relive the last 8 minutes of his "victim", it creates a new parallel universe where the rest of the events of that timeline play out.

Which, in most of the loops, don't matter because he still ends up dead.

But, in the last one, he lives and so does everyone else on the train... except for Sean Fentress, the guy that the main character "takes over" thanks to the Source Code.

So, the main character in the film has quite literally bodysnatched some random guy and taken his place - but the love interest in the film still seems to think that it's still the original guy.

That's bloody terrifying, almost like the whole Steve Trevor subplot in WW1984.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
for a solid movie with subs check out Fish Story, a Japanese film about a fictional obscure punk band and a song that transcends time and space in order to save the world

perhaps less time loop-y than the films in the OP but worth a watch imo

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

GazChap posted:

So, what is it?

I watched Source Code last night. Pretty interesting, but the ending definitely feels like it was tacked on to please some focus groups. If that ending was the original, then they could have done a lot more with it.

If I understood correctly, the premise of the ending is that whenever he gets sent back into the Source Code to relive the last 8 minutes of his "victim", it creates a new parallel universe where the rest of the events of that timeline play out.

But, in the last one, he lives and so does everyone else on the train... except for Sean Fentress, the guy that the main character "takes over" thanks to the Source Code.

So, the main character in the film has quite literally bodysnatched some random guy and taken his place - but the love interest in the film still seems to think that it's still the original guy.

I always wanted to see the follow up of him like, struggling to find his SSN, figure out the names of his parents, find out what his job is and how to do it/etc

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I just rewatched Predestination.

It's still a damned good movie, and one of the few depictions of consistent time travel (the same is true for --All You Zombies--, its source material) - the only thing I'd say about it is:
Don't ever read about the book or the movie, just read/watch it.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

GazChap posted:

So, what is it?

i kinda touched on this earlier in the thread and massive spider had this to say

massive spider posted:

Source code isn't exactly infinite universes as it is Leibniz' monadology, which I only barely understand. But the me-dumb version is - the smallest piece/aspect/'atom'/ basic building block/ that makes up reality is the 'monad' (philosophically equivalent what the film would call the Source Code) which must contain the whole of reality in it by virtue of being connected to it. "perpetual living mirrors of the universe." [spoiler]therefore the machine virtual reality is just as valid as the real one, even though its you would assume its ostensibly only limited to a small piece of one guys experience.

i think what they're claiming here is that there aren't infinite branching timelines being conjured up or parallel universes being connected to by the machine in the movie, but rather the machine is running a virtual reality derived from 8 minutes of one guy's life that is still equally as valid and complex as -reality- despite being contained by it and only encompassing a minuscule piece of it.

honestly i love both interpretations. in my head i visualize the first as like an uncontained infinite explosion of spacetime, and the second like zooming in on a mandelbrot set. i think i'm gonna get high and watch this again. sci-fi B-movies should not be this fun lol

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Has anyone ever done the reverse of the time loop trope, where everyone else realizes they're in a time loop except the protagonist? Almost like a sci-fi Memento.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

sticklefifer posted:

Has anyone ever done the reverse of the time loop trope, where everyone else realizes they're in a time loop except the protagonist? Almost like a sci-fi Memento.

50 First Dates.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

sticklefifer posted:

The Endless

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

VROOM VROOM posted:

Triangle is on my list of my all-time favorites but I'd like to hear more about this interpretation of the film, because my read of it is that the main character is a total shithead and that's why I love it. The ending seems to reveal that she beat her kid, refused to take responsibility for it, got both of them killed, and is subject to an eternal Sisyphean punishment of her own making because she refuses to accept that's it's too late to save him and it's all her fault. And that's without talking about everything on the boat!

Just rewatched this after having forgotten most of the plot (love it when this happens actually for these kinds of films), and 100% agree with this interpretation. Did not get hopeful or positive vibes at all, almost felt Silent Hill 2-esque in a way.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I just rewatched Predestination.

It's still a damned good movie, and one of the few depictions of consistent time travel (the same is true for --All You Zombies--, its source material) - the only thing I'd say about it is:
Don't ever read about the book or the movie, just read/watch it.

What do you mean by this? I enjoyed the film. Do you mean go in blind, or do you mean there's some really gross drama / politics around both?

Also, how is reading the book after watching the film?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

"All You Zombies" is a roughly ten page short story, so it's much quicker to the point. The only major plot difference is the film adds the terrorist plot, which is only kinda alluded to in the short story, and even that's a stretch..

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

What do you mean by this? I enjoyed the film. Do you mean go in blind, or do you mean there's some really gross drama / politics around both?

It's hard to have any meaningful conversation about it without spoiling things.

I've re-read the short story a few times both before and after watching the movie and it still holds up - although part of that is how good a yarn Heinlein can spin.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

God Hole posted:

The Endless

:doh: poo poo you're right, that's one of my favorites.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I don't know poo poo about Rick and Morty but I enjoyed this old short:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXhnPLMIET0

space-man
Jan 3, 2007
a man, like any other... but in space!

GazChap posted:

So, what is it?

yeah i always imagine the next day of source code.
someones parents discover their son no longer cares about them at all
someones buddies realise their buddy has no interest in them.
its just such a weird weird film haha.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Here's two good time loop short films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mSH86O2qzA
Stuck in a toilet, what does he do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndOye0W6HEI
Stuck in an escape pod, what do they do?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Another short short film about time loops: https://youtu.be/C4wuQXPB6K0?si=-9e1wyotqlEa-R48

A interesting example (which is sort of like what someone was asking about) is about two thirds of the second season of Suzumiya Haruhi where there's a timeloop but the main character(s) don't know it and reset with everything else. Only one character knows and is barred from interfering directly. It sounds more interesting than it is.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

kiminewt posted:

A interesting example (which is sort of like what someone was asking about) is about two thirds of the second season of Suzumiya Haruhi where there's a timeloop but the main character(s) don't know it and reset with everything else. Only one character knows and is barred from interfering directly. It sounds more interesting than it is.

The entire thing is also truly bizarre on a meta level because it's eight full-length episodes with 95% shared content between the first seven of them, and yet the identical script sections were separately re-animated for all eight episodes. It basically destroyed the fanbase for the series at the time (imagine tuning on a weekly timeslot and seeing the a slightly different version of the same episode for the third time in a row with no signs of it stopping), and is arguably why Haruhi's cultural impact on anime pretty much vanished entirely despite the series' massive initial popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOa0EEAcdXM