Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tmfc posted:

it was probably some tech guy's job to manually update that message every day

it updated throughout the day, I presumed automatically!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
chuds (correctly) understand that US companies import workers or outsource work from overseas to undercut American's wages but are suspiciously silent when those same companies hire prison labor for $1.50 an hour

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
$8 a month if you want to keep your remote-start feature after the first three years from Toyota. loving eight loving dollars a month.

I am so loving happy I don't need to own a car.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

I should never doubt the veracity of something like this.

https://www.facebook.com/HorryCountySheriff/

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

More like horror county.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Thanatosian posted:

$8 a month if you want to keep your remote-start feature after the first three years from Toyota. loving eight loving dollars a month.

I am so loving happy I don't need to own a car.

loving good. Remote start is so loving dumb. Hey rear end in a top hat, if you bundle up the way that you should in an environment that “requires” remote start, then it won’t be so critical. I have a 2001 Maxima, it’s pumping heat pretty decently by the end of the block when I turn out of my alley. But hey, maybe it’s because I don’t have a loving cargo’s van worth of empty space to heat.

Sorry, I just HATE remote starts. Burn gas while idle because “my fingies might get cold.”

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Just walk out to the car and start it and then go back inside and make coffee and get ready for the day and by the time to leave for work your car is warm and toasty and a remote start feature would long have auto shut off

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i just leave my car running all winter

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just get a Webasto* with a remote if you need an automobile in an actual Winter. Who cares what the car manufacturer wants to charge lmao.

*) I'm sure other brands are available.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

What is with people not letting their employees have cellphones

What if you needed to talk to your employee genius

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Luxuries should be expensive.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Boywhiz88 posted:

Sorry, I just HATE remote starts. Burn gas while idle because “my fingies might get cold.”

Buddy, I need the windshield to be defrosted so I can see out of it while I'm driving.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

McCracAttack posted:

Buddy, I need the windshield to be defrosted so I can see out of it while I'm driving.

Speaking of which, lmao that in 2021 heated windshields are not mandatory in all new automobiles sold in places with seasons. (My sister used to have a 90s Ford IDK Orion, maybe? that had a heated windshield and it was loving amazing.)

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I had a del Sol in high school with an aftermarket remote start and I used it during the winter to scare away bears that huddled up to my warm car at night if I got in late.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Speaking of which, lmao that in 2021 heated windshields are not mandatory in all new automobiles sold in places with seasons. (My sister used to have a 90s Ford IDK Orion, maybe? that had a heated windshield and it was loving amazing.)

Excuse me, Australia has seasons. Fire season, flood season, jeans season, mushroom season.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

500excf type r posted:

Just walk out to the car and start it and then go back inside and make coffee and get ready for the day and by the time to leave for work your car is warm and toasty and a remote start feature would long have auto shut off

This is the #1 way to get your car stolen

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I had a del Sol in high school with an aftermarket remote start and I used it during the winter to scare away bears that huddled up to my warm car at night if I got in late.

:hmmyes:

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Speleothing posted:

I had an 87 Cutlass with a broken cylinder where you could remove the key while it was running. I used to leave it running in the parking lot sometimes when going in to a convenience store to get something to drink. That was also when gas was 85 cents a gallon though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Speleothing posted:

Yeah, the local news in Colorado calls it "puffing" and insurers aren't keen on paying out when your unattended, running car gets stolen. Then when you call to report it stolen, the cops show up and write you a ticket.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Is push button start not like standard now? I thought keys died out years ago

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

McCracAttack posted:

Same here, but I've never been in a position where turning the car on, then scraping off the external ice over a couple of minutes, and then driving a little bit didn't have me up and running short of the days where it's like... insanely cold out and you're lucky that the car starts at all. The idea of remote starting when it's above 0 is just foreign to me. Good jacket and boots are a better investment.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

500excf type r posted:

Keys are still pretty standard on old cars.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

500excf type r posted:

Push button start and remote start aren’t the same thing

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I still think push start is dumb as hell

You still have to have the key IN THE CAR so why add this over-engineered layer of wireless and batteries and poo poo?

Maybe there is a compelling reason and I just haven't heard it? Other than BUTTAN COOL

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

loving good. Remote start is so loving dumb. Hey rear end in a top hat, if you bundle up the way that you should in an environment that “requires” remote start, then it won’t be so critical. I have a 2001 Maxima, it’s pumping heat pretty decently by the end of the block when I turn out of my alley. But hey, maybe it’s because I don’t have a loving cargo’s van worth of empty space to heat.

I live in an area where you would absolutely ruin your engine if you didn't allow it to warm up 5-10 minutes before driving some days.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Push button start and remote start aren’t the same thing

I know, but both of them dont leave the keys in the car allowing it to be stolen

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

The Bloop posted:

You still have to have the key IN THE CAR so why add this over-engineered layer of wireless and batteries and poo poo?

Maybe there is a compelling reason and I just haven't heard it? Other than BUTTAN COOL

People keep too many things on their keychains and the weight hanging off the ignition can gently caress up the switch

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
the only newer car thing i really truly hate is that they don't stop the radio when you turn the car off

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Plank Walker posted:

the only newer car thing i really truly hate is that they don't stop the radio when you turn the car off

That's one of the best parts, everything works for a few minutes until you open a door, means you can shut it down and still operate windows and listen to music long enough to finish your smoke and get back to your work

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Bloop posted:

It is really nice not having to take my keys out of my pocket when I get in the car.

Also the push-button start runs the starter motor for exactly the right amount of time and cuts it off exactly when the engine starts, which I'm guessing puts less stress on the motor and the parts and stuff.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

500excf type r posted:

I know, but both of them dont leave the keys in the car allowing it to be stolen

My brother’s old car would shut itself off when it got too far away from the key fob but mine just starts making an annoying beeping noise but (as far as I can tell from the time I left my keys on the front steps) will let you drive it indefinitely

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Speleothing posted:

People keep too many things on their keychains and the weight hanging off the ignition can gently caress up the switch

Ugh

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh and the wireless system necessarily needing to know when the keys are actually in the car means the car can warn you if you accidentally leave the keys in the car and will prevent you from locking yourself out of the car. I don't know I thought they were silly too until I actually got a car with a button and it's really nice and I like it :shrug:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

HashtagGirlboss posted:

My brother’s old car would shut itself off when it got too far away from the key fob but mine just starts making an annoying beeping noise but (as far as I can tell from the time I left my keys on the front steps) will let you drive it indefinitely

Oh yeah I forgot some car companies are idiots. I was being nice and started my partners Chevy Malibu but forgot to give her the keys and she drove off to work and realized when she was about half an hour away from home and stopped to fuel up that I had the keys at home

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I dated a woman who had a BMW and she lost her key fob and it cost over $300 and took a week to get a new one lmao. Not sure if that’s true of other car manufacturers or a bmw specific thing but I’m pretty careful not to lose mine. It would Auto Unlock the doors if you pulled the door handle and the keys were in your pocket so that was cool. Also it would auto shift itself into park when you turned it off so she’d use my car and turn it off and leave it in drive lmao

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The Bloop posted:

My brother accidentally threw away his keys at a Mcdonalds and I guess the trash can was close enough that the push button start still worked and he was way down the interstate before he realized he didn't have any keys

He went all the way back and dug through the trash though because gently caress paying for a new one

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I dont trust that poo poo. I want a car key I can take to a hardware store and cut a spare of.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I hate feeling increasingly helpless as everything becomes more technology dependent, but hey that's life. I'm dependent on tech whether it's water filtration or a wireless key fob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

I dont trust that poo poo. I want a car key I can take to a hardware store and cut a spare of.

There's a backup physical key inside the fob you can take out and cut a spare of if you want