Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Interesting, I wonder what kind of role she’ll play (also I really hope there are more playable characters than just Sonic this time).

Speaking of Amy, she’ll probably have a new English VA here since I believe Cindy Robinson said she was leaving the series a little while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sonic ftw

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Detective No. 27 posted:

Open world games have existed for generations, becoming popular with GTA3 on PS2. They never stopped being popular. Sonic Frontiers will run on PS4/Xbox One. However all versions are going to suffer as a result. One issue is that PS4/Xbox One are dated as hell and rely on old, slow, hard drive based storage. The new consoles have really fast SSDs which benefit open world games a lot. It's been really frustrating seeing a lot of current gen games get kneecapped because they have to also work on previous gen versions. Even moreso with the poster child for Gotta Go Fast. There's also the fact that working on so many versions spreads the team thin.
The problem is relatively few people own a 'next gen' console because they are expensive and hard to obtain. They will make games for whatever consoles people actualy own so your fancy SSD drive may as well be the wiiU controller touch screen for all sonic team cares.

Personally I'm fine with it, theres nothing about the new consoles thats appealing to me at all. They mid cycle upgraded the last set so much so the new ones look indistiguishable honestly. Oh no I'm missing out on better resolution on PS5 oh wait thats been the case since the PS4 Pro came out I didn't care then either.

Like a loving sonic game doesn't have to be the biggest most technical ray traced marvel ever made who cares just make it fun, have an art direction.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also aside from some slightly longer load times there’s nothing wrong with Colors Ultimate on PS4 (also most of the bugs in the Switch version have been patched out now) and I never really noticed any major glitches with Forces on either console so I don’t think Frontiers will be too much of a problem either way.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm aware of the economics behind the decision. Sonic's one of the most popular characters in gaming, possibly the most popular one not tied to Nintendo. But current gen consoles (they've been out for a year, they're not next gen anymore.) still would offer the best experience for developers and players on the basis of speed alone. The SSD isn't comparable to the Wii U gamepad in the slightest. It's not a gimmick that leaves developers scratching their head for use cases. Developers have been itching to utilize something as fast for years and are still often chained to these ancient platters. Sonic is the best use case for the potential of an open world developed based on an SSD. I suppose Frontiers will end up being a dry run for the sequel.

Larryb posted:

Also aside from some slightly longer load times there’s nothing wrong with Colors Ultimate on PS4 (also most of the bugs in the Switch version have been patched out now) and I never really noticed any major glitches with Forces on either console so I don’t think Frontiers will be too much of a problem either way.

Colors is a port of a Wii game, it sure should have run well on a PS4.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

All games are functionally built for hard drives still. Windows doesn't have the much vaunted Direct Storage yet, so triple A games like Halo Infinite and Forza Horizons are designed to run off of hard drive just fine, even if an SSD helps with load times. Burnout Paradise was also open-world (ish) and ran just fine on a PS3, same as GTA5. Even the new Ratchet and Clank only needed the SSD so it could do fancy portal stuff, the core game didn't need it at all.

People vastly overestimate the resources you need to run games; the new gen SSDs will have a certain amount of utility in the future, but the idea that they're needed just to run an open world at more than a walking pace is baffling.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can always tell when I'm being paired up with someone with a hard drive in Halo Infinite multiplayer because it takes forever for the round to begin. It sucks rear end!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Augus posted:

you remember how they added the master cycle dlc and the game would hang occasionally when you were driving it because you were moving too fast for it to load smoothly?

so what you're saying is expect Frontiers to hang a lot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm aware of the economics behind the decision. Sonic's one of the most popular characters in gaming, possibly the most popular one not tied to Nintendo. But current gen consoles (they've been out for a year, they're not next gen anymore.) still would offer the best experience for developers and players on the basis of speed alone. The SSD isn't comparable to the Wii U gamepad in the slightest. It's not a gimmick that leaves developers scratching their head for use cases. Developers have been itching to utilize something as fast for years and are still often chained to these ancient platters. Sonic is the best use case for the potential of an open world developed based on an SSD. I suppose Frontiers will end up being a dry run for the sequel.

Colors is a port of a Wii game, it sure should have run well on a PS4.

Then by the same logic there shouldn’t have been any problems with the Switch version at launch but here we are.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nah the Switch version will stink for different reasons.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ok enough doom and gloom about a game that'll get delayed until 2024.

https://twitter.com/OnTheDownLoTho/status/1469160051810226177?t=qJgl4j_Nvg_H2w2cWwCXsQ&s=19

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I wasn't saying SSD is a 'gimmick' I was saying it'll be an afterthought as most people will be playing on older consoles still. Next gen exclusives are going to be thin on the ground for a long while yet.

If they do target next gen primarily then they'll be following the trail blazed by cyberpunk 2077 which sold more on last gen consoles anyway.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know what you're saying and as I said, the decision to make last gen versions is an economic one. But what I've been saying the whole time is that it's going to lead to a bad experience

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I think we're past the point of needing separate SD and HD versions like Unleashed, but I'd be fine with the Switch, PS4 and Xbox One versions having a simpler art style if it's needed to allow for faster speed and a higher framerate. They actually did this with the Switch version of Crash 4.

Keep the detailed visuals for the new consoles and PC and make the most of the SSD and faster CPU. Hopefully unlike Unleashed we won't need to wait 13 years for a console to run it well.

I'd honestly be happy if they just dumped SA2 Sonic in the Forbidden Land from Shadow of the Colossus. That could run on a PS2 (just about) so the Switch should be able to handle a decent stylised open world.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sonic, ftw

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Looper posted:

sonic, ftw

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Detective No. 27 posted:

I know what you're saying and as I said, the decision to make last gen versions is an economic one. But what I've been saying the whole time is that it's going to lead to a bad experience
Why though open world games can and do run fine on hard drives anyway and the new gen consoles didn't invent fast loading SSD drives. PC games have dealt with varied hardware specs just fine for decades too.

Like is everyone who's owned a high end gaming pc been getting a 'bad experience' because games aren't designed soley for their hardware all this time? Get a grip.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I haven’t read any of the reaction posts to Frontiers but I’m gonna Kramer in to drop my opinion anyway, Sonic of the Wild at least sounds more interesting on paper than another 2.5D boost game, as fun as (some of) those were. I’m happily intrigued.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They should focus on switch development and then add some higher res textures for the other versions

Also, I'm 100% convinced that this was only put in the movie so that the trailer could have a quick flash of it to make people think they were doing sonic adventure, but the trailer people didn't get the memo

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Open world games are a good fit for fun traversal mechanics so hopefully there's less running into walls and death pits like you usually do in Sonic games and more sick tricks and going fast.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

flavor.flv posted:

They should focus on switch development and then add some higher res textures for the other versions

Also, I'm 100% convinced that this was only put in the movie so that the trailer could have a quick flash of it to make people think they were doing sonic adventure, but the trailer people didn't get the memo

I think it's just a fun reference, you don't need to be so cynical

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
this movie's stinger will show metal sonic and the next movie will properly introduce him and amy but otherwise include a bunch of adventure elements. the third movie will end with eggman finding his grandfather's diary

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

flavor.flv posted:

Sonic watching police cars go by from the top of the building was strong Sonic Adventure intro energy. That shot of the Mayan style temple too.

There’s at least some people on that crew who know what fans want.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

man nurse posted:

Sonic watching police cars go by from the top of the building was strong Sonic Adventure intro energy. That shot of the Mayan style temple too.

There’s at least some people on that crew who know what fans want.

Yeah Tyson Hesse is still there, so I'm hopeful it'll be good

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mr Phillby posted:

Why though open world games can and do run fine on hard drives anyway and the new gen consoles didn't invent fast loading SSD drives. PC games have dealt with varied hardware specs just fine for decades too.

Like is everyone who's owned a high end gaming pc been getting a 'bad experience' because games aren't designed soley for their hardware all this time? Get a grip.

Making a game across six different platforms with varied hardware specs and architectures. Something Sonic Team has mastered. Got it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Making the game for more consoles will lead to a good experience because more people experiencing Sonic is good. Because Sonic is good.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
tyson hesse is storyboard supervisor for a big budget sonic movie. ian flynn is writing the script for a mainline sonic game. we are blessed

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MJeff posted:

Making the game for more consoles will lead to a good experience because more people experiencing Sonic is good. Because Sonic is good.

You got me, I can't argue this.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

They should try to make a good, technically competent game over trying to appeal to the broadest audience possible imo, but I understand the dictating market and business realities make this unviable.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Xad posted:

I think it's just a fun reference, you don't need to be so cynical

This is the sonic games thread on somethingawful.com how are you not more cynical

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

This is the sonic games thread on somethingawful.com how are you not more cynical

open your heart

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Baggot posted:

They should try to make a good, technically competent game

Yes that’s probably the goal of game development studio Sonic Team

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Detective No. 27 posted:

Making a game across six different platforms with varied hardware specs and architectures. Something Sonic Team has mastered. Got it.
By that logic they should focus on established consoles and scrap the next gen versions then.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

3D Sonic is synonymous with 'gorgeous technical mess'. Port it to everything. Release it early. I want to see glitches never imagined.

Big's Big World still has me salivating months later at what an open world Sonic could be. With the boost power up in the mean bean shack and gravity power up from little planet it's all there. Scale that up with Sonic playable and it's an easy $60 game. Let me spin-dash-jump off inconsequential background models and go fast in wild directions please. The leaked vertical slice somehow reminds me of the E3 Sonic DS tech demo and I'm here for it.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Looper posted:

sonic, ftw

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This game looks like it could be a technical marvel or a glorious disaster, either way I’m all for it.

Like I said, I do hope we get to explore the world with characters other than Sonic though (as mentioned, we do apparently faintly hear Amy a few times during the trailer but it’s unclear what her role is going to be). For example, flying around with Tails in an open setting seems like it could be fun.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 10, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mr Phillby posted:

By that logic they should focus on established consoles and scrap the next gen versions then.

It probably would be a better game if they did this and did a current gen port later. Not as good if they scrapped last gen versions altogether though.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Larryb posted:

(as mentioned, we do apparently faintly hear Amy a few times during the trailer but it’s unclear what her role is going to be).

The Sonic Rangers leak from a while back mentions a "ghost girl" who refills Super Sonic's rings, and that the Chaos Emeralds are found in "cyberspace" zones, so maybe she (everyone?) is trapped there for some reason.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
playable friends is probably the only thing that could get me more hype but i will understand if this is a sonic only joint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Looper posted:

this movie's stinger will show metal sonic and the next movie will properly introduce him and amy but otherwise include a bunch of adventure elements. the third movie will end with eggman finding his grandfather's diary

Given we saw cars marked with a GUN insignia a while back, I'm wondering if this isn't some joint S3 / SA adaptation and the next (and presumably final) film will adapt Sonic Adventure 2.

Course hypothetical-movie-3 could adapt Sonic Heroes and, given the care that's clearly on show, it could enthrall me.