Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Aw yeah... slow water... that's the good stuff. mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003

MrQueasy posted:

I like the silver rangefinder look. Reminds me of my dad's minolta 35mm I used to use.

I'm also ADHD, so I want new... shiny... different... a move to a micro4/3ds would be a "sensible" amateur photographer choice

I'm in MFT land and planning on purchasing an Olympus E-M5 III over the E-M1 II soon solely because it looks amazing in silver.

Just got the 34mm equiv f1.8 lens literally yesterday and I am in love.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

heh I found a waterfall, and used a tripod and remote to take this embarrassingw photo of myself. got wet to do this

and a photo with a 24mm that is actually ok. I have concluded I am incapable of a good picture with this lens UNLESS its just like landscape

also

square crop - obv for instagram reasons, but I actually really love the end result. it the best.

zombienietzsche posted:

I'm in MFT land and planning on purchasing an Olympus E-M5 III over the E-M1 II soon solely because it looks amazing in silver.

Just got the 34mm equiv f1.8 lens literally yesterday and I am in love.

pics plz

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

heh I found a waterfall, and used a tripod and remote to take this embarrassingw photo of myself. got wet to do this

and a photo with a 24mm that is actually ok. I have concluded I am incapable of a good picture with this lens UNLESS its just like landscape

also

square crop - obv for instagram reasons, but I actually really love the end result. it the best.

pics plz

I like wide crops of ultrawide myself, but I also had a higher than normal miss rate when using the 10-15mm in Yellowstone. It was like 1 in 25 shots instead of 1 in 10 for my 50mm prime or the 70-200mm. So imagine like 50 shots to just end up with these two different angles on Excelsior Geyser. (admittedly the reflection one was luck on our timing around getting 6 people in three different campsites out the flaps in the morning)

This one is from Lake Yellowstone, shots of the lake were kinder, so this only took like 8 shots to figure out what was interesting.

The best advice I can give after wincing at a bunch of 10-15mm shots that I still have saved from Yellowstone is that the best ones are where you're trying to make something seem bigger, or you're trying to see around something while still maintaining a sense of depth/distance? I dunno, I need to experiment more.

I find my personal sweet spot for landscapes is 50mm-70mm because it flattens and squishes so much detail into a small area.

I think it's harder because the fisheye distortion is harder for our brains to do the automatic calculus on or something.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah that’s kinda how I feel. I once read something that said with wide you are putting the viewer IN the photo so get right up in there. it works but i don’t want many pics that are in your face in that manner lol.

yeah wide crop of wide lens does make sense and i’ll recant what i said for those

those first two shots are amazing dude

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

yeah that’s kinda how I feel. I once read something that said with wide you are putting the viewer IN the photo so get right up in there. it works but i don’t want many pics that are in your face in that manner lol.

yeah wide crop of wide lens does make sense and i’ll recant what i said for those

those first two shots are amazing dude

Thanks, I recommend Western National Parks. Lots of strange natural beauty make for a target rich environment. Yellowstone in 2018 was awesome, but like Sequoia and Yosemite, it feels like it's fading. There were hardly any animals, and doing anything in the "popular" sections of the park was almost impossible between 10am and 4pm. However, as a photographer, that meant I could appeal to the rest of the group's exhaustion to say "why don't we just go out at sunrise (5am) or near sunset (9pm) to avoid the tour buses?" and then end up with better shadows even if we were too slow/early for golden hours.

EDIT: for your road picture, I think if you framed it with more road and less sky it might pop more? Like draw your bottom third line at the horizon rather than the top of the mountains?

MrQueasy fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 10, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrQueasy posted:

EDIT: for your road picture, I think if you framed it with more road and less sky it might pop more? Like draw your bottom third line at the horizon rather than the top of the mountains?

interesting suggestion. I suppose in my mind I thought of it like, the road is boring so only want enough of it to let you know it’s a road, with the rest being the more interesting mountains and sky. so my porportions are based in reason not aesthetic 🤔 I have more from the set so I would be curious if I have one that’s more like what you said

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003

I enjoyed this one of how smoggy it has been here lately. Something to counteract all the natural beauty and remind us why we stay inside on the internet.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

zombienietzsche posted:

I enjoyed this one of how smoggy it has been here lately. Something to counteract all the natural beauty and remind us why we stay inside on the internet.

I don’t care how smoggy it is. it’s still pretty.

echinopsis posted:

interesting suggestion. I suppose in my mind I thought of it like, the road is boring so only want enough of it to let you know it’s a road, with the rest being the more interesting mountains and sky. so my porportions are based in reason not aesthetic 🤔 I have more from the set so I would be curious if I have one that’s more like what you said

the road IS boring! but so is the sky! (even though I refuse to stop shooting self indulgent pictures of clouds without context)

I really like the hazy blues on the mountains in that picture, so I was a little disappointed when my eye kept sliding off them into the sky.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrQueasy posted:

I don’t care how smoggy it is. it’s still pretty.

the road IS boring! but so is the sky! (even though I refuse to stop shooting self indulgent pictures of clouds without context)

I really like the hazy blues on the mountains in that picture, so I was a little disappointed when my eye kept sliding off them into the sky.

see I like the sky but not as much as I like your opinion and perspective. it’s interesting to me how others see, so I appreciate very much

zombienietzsche posted:

I like this

but lol I did mean pics of the gear 🤯

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZClqweFJBOc

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cameras ar cool.my 14? year old Canon digital rebel XTi aka 450D is still surprisingly needs suiting. got s short pancake prime lens on it and it's a great time at least if the light is decent. iso above like 400 is basically unusable and maxes out at 1600 so lol

might gently caress around and spend 5k or so on a supertelephoto rig to take pics of birds

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
for xmas i’ve gotten my son a 550d

it was $250 and it’s come with a tripod and that 18-something lens which is poo poo but he can borrow some of mine

what I love about this day and age is the low barrier of entry. like bloody says, can still take a great photo. biggest bummer is the lack of low light ability but still, he’s only 12, he’s so fortunate to have this kind of thing to play with

yps: at a beautiful cottage with gf for weekend but I have zero ability to take interesting photos lol. i would love a decent photographer to show me their workflow because it depresses me a bit how I can’t do something with this as beautiful as it is 😒

i need to think, how can I somehow put the viewer there and make them feel idk something

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

it was $250 and it’s come with a tripod and that 18-something lens which is poo poo but he can borrow some of mine

what I love about this day and age is the low barrier of entry. like bloody says, can still take a great photo. biggest bummer is the lack of low light ability but still, he’s only 12, he’s so fortunate to have this kind of thing to play with

yps: at a beautiful cottage with gf for weekend but I have zero ability to take interesting photos lol. i would love a decent photographer to show me their workflow because it depresses me a bit how I can’t do something with this as beautiful as it is 😒

i need to think, how can I somehow put the viewer there and make them feel idk something

I don't have a good workflow... but I haven't really needed much beyond

Take SD card,
import raws into LightRoom
create a new folder/album
go through each picture 1 by 1 and flag anything interesting looking... probably 1 in 5? toss it in the album
go back to the album, look at each one... apply some presets, hit the auto button... aggressively fiddle with crop... white balance...
if I still like it, it stays, otherwise it's booted... I'm usually left with 1 : 10

This takes too long, maybe 10-15m per raw on average... but I'm not happy unless the picture has that Je ne sais quois? that I felt when I clicked the shutter or when I flagged it as a potential keeper.

Once I have the good ones settled, I go back and try "crazier" edits on the ones that didn't quite make it with my "normal" aesthetic.

As far as what I want the pictures to say... I tend to want them to evoke in ME the moments I was taking the picture. I don't give a gently caress if you have a spiritual experience. I just know that you probably won't if I can't either.

Anyway, what I think I'm saying about your cottage situation is just shoot through it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

where’s sagebrush to tell us how this isn’t how a blimp works?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i have an olympus mirrorless micro 4/3 with a nice panasonic 20mm 1.4 or something that i never use but takes nice pics

I sold all my SLR gear years ago. that’s my contribution to this thread. thanks

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i only like prime lenses, i like the simplicity and having to kinda really think and move to get a good composition

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003

echinopsis posted:

but lol I did mean pics of the gear 🤯

POV: you decide to finally watch that skillshare course on flat lays

I bought the Lumix in 2017 to learn on and it's been great. this year I bought a Nikon D3300 on eBay and then sold a Nikon D3300 on eBay after looking at lens selection and realizing how spoiled I am by the MFT form factor. Planning on upgrading the camera to get an additional knob when my bonus gets in. also you take more and better pictures when your camera looks cool

zombienietzsche fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 10, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

akadajet posted:

where’s sagebrush to tell us how this isn’t how a blimp works?

I'm pretty sure that is how a blimp works when you fly it into the side of an observatory

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Ok, finally, new batteries. Heading out to a touristy trap area to get the boy santa pictures done by an outfit that takes themselves seriously so maybe I'll snap some stuff while I'm there.

In the meantime, here's what I run with most of the time.

Here's the best picture I could get of the dead ant in the viewfinder. If I find the missing piece of my tripod I'll take a better one.

All pictures I've posted above (aside from the two I said were from my iphone, and these two, which are from my newer iphone) were done with this poor battered t3i.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

yah. i have the gear but not the skill to take good photos

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

fart simpson posted:

yah. i have the gear but not the skill to take good photos

Just post take pictures!

The theory that helped/helps me the most is the rule of thirds... Once it becomes second nature it becomes easier to see in your minds eye. But you can't get to that point unless you take thousands of lovely photos and say "I don't think this is good enough because X" and consciously seeing what happens when you change that element.

Also, just out and out copy the setup/content pictures that make you say "I like this picture."

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

picked up a used Fuji x-h1 and 55-200. it’s cool as heck. that’s iso 25600

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I was taking pictures during my brother's wedding reception at night and having a camera that performs well at high iso owns.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ragtime All The Time posted:

picked up a used Fuji x-h1 and 55-200. it’s cool as heck. that’s iso 25600

this is excellent

akadajet posted:

I was taking pictures during my brother's wedding reception at night and having a camera that performs well at high iso owns.

poo poo yeah

at the very least I’m pleased it’s turned my 55-200 which is f/5.6 at 200 into a lens that is usable out of sunlight

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Ragtime All The Time posted:

. that’s iso 25600

:eyepop:

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

akadajet posted:

it’s amazing going from a 7d to something this modern. pushing 3200 was risky with that old thing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my last camera was a 7d

love that thing but yea the sensor is showing it’s age for sure

I think i’ll keep it forever though, because it really is a solid camera, and it’ll be worth it to me for sentimental reasons later in life more than a couple hundred bucks now

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Hangin' out at the tourist trap with my new batteries.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
those are excellent

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really like video with my camera. tripods are the way to go, shake is horrible and still can show off how nice it is to film with a nice lens. honestly it’s such a treat using such nice lenses

on the 7d it was pretty good. was it 1080p? can’t remember. it was only 30/25 fps and there was basically no focus once you’d started filming but if the camera was still the results were pretty nice for something from 2009

this eos r is next level of course

lots of frame rate options. autofocus including face tracking is a game changer, and canon log as well

at the risk of telling everyone something they already know, canon log or any log video for that matter is the video equivalent of raw, because each frame has the 0-255 limit (or more with higher nitrates) in order to squeeze a higher dynamic range in it changes the response curve so you end up with a low contrast image that captures more overall data (well higher range) and then you can transform that in video program so you can make the most of the bigger dynamic range

anyway I have some intentions of setting myself up to video myself doing some music stuff so I want to make the most of it and make it as great as i can

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i love all the atmospheric stuff people are doing these days with colour grading, and davinci resolve seems incredibly powerful, and what you can do with the free version is pretty incredible really. I just need to learn how to use the colour stuff coz at the moment i can only manage basic editing

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

I really like video with my camera. tripods are the way to go, shake is horrible and still can show off how nice it is to film with a nice lens. honestly it’s such a treat using such nice lenses

on the 7d it was pretty good. was it 1080p? can’t remember. it was only 30/25 fps and there was basically no focus once you’d started filming but if the camera was still the results were pretty nice for something from 2009

this eos r is next level of course

lots of frame rate options. autofocus including face tracking is a game changer, and canon log as well

at the risk of telling everyone something they already know, canon log or any log video for that matter is the video equivalent of raw, because each frame has the 0-255 limit (or more with higher nitrates) in order to squeeze a higher dynamic range in it changes the response curve so you end up with a low contrast image that captures more overall data (well higher range) and then you can transform that in video program so you can make the most of the bigger dynamic range

anyway I have some intentions of setting myself up to video myself doing some music stuff so I want to make the most of it and make it as great as i can

no offense but laughing at you using special raw video format only to gently caress it all up with noise and scratch filters, at least based on your previous music videos :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol gotta capture all the dynamic range of my lounge at nighttime 😂

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m obsessed with making my videos look as lovely as possible

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

i’m obsessed with making my videos look as lovely as possible

they're cool :hai:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think i made this point before, but it's funny to me how photographers are all about having the most perfect unaltered image from the camera, perfectly circular bokeh with a gaussian falloff, reduced dynamic range capture, zero flare, zero grain, no chromatic aberration or vignetting or pincushion or blown highlights or any other image-making artifact

and meanwhile cg artists are like gently caress yeah, give me all that poo poo, i want hexagon bokeh, donut bokeh, flare everywhere, halos and ghosts, tri-color chromatic aberration, ultra grainy, film scratches, motion blur, contrast blaster, micro depth of field, hunting for focus, just give me every poo poo thing that cameras do to gently caress up an image. because that makes my cg look realistic

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol I am a sucker for all of that poo poo

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

remember lomography?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeh it changed its name to instagram