Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

jeeves posted:

You'd think the Death Star would be so big that it would just have docking facilities for entire Star Destroyers and not have to deal with those shuttles at all.

The Emperor doesn't need any dinky shuttles now that he has the Death Star.

From the Rogue One concept are book:

Just love the idea of these huge structures that huge vessels dock at like it's no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I think the small cozy ship feeling is why so many people love Voyager’s Intrepid or the ill-fated even tinier Nova class from one of that show’s two partners.

I know sometimes I really like to nerd out and look at fan made floor plans of trek ships, especially the aforementioned two smaller ones or the Defiant. The larger ships become just kind of magic of “deck 42 can fit anything” or such.

Strategic Designs makes some of the best ones, even if their Constitution one seems a bit small compared to the awesome JBOT ones.

Url code didn’t like the # in this:
https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php#B15

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Megillah Gorilla posted:

From the Rogue One concept are book:

Just love the idea of these huge structures that huge vessels dock at like it's no big deal.

Rogue One’s space battle kind of makes no sense when you think about it, Vader’s Star Destroyer wasn’t anything more special than the other two? Why did two fail when one somehow came out of no where and kicked the rebel’s asses?

Then again, that’s before you try thinking about the physics of actually pushing another ship’s mass with a smaller ship?

Good thing it was :kickinrad: to make up for all of the above nerdgripez

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, the nerdwank is that by the end of the battle the Rebel forces were spent, all the fighter cover gone. Also half the rebel fleet actually jumped out before Vader arrived, there were only a few ships left.

And even during the battle they only managed to hold off the two preexisting Star Destroyers by getting very lucky with the ion torpedoes midway through and partially disabling them.

As for the ram, it doesn't just ram in: it rams in relatively slowly and slides along until it finds solid purchase on the other ship, and then lights up its main engine full strength and thrusts continually. It's more of a tugboat style situation. It wouldn't be much acceleration against the big ship's mass but it doesn't need much, they're right next to each other. I assume they called on that ship specifically because it had bigass engines.

They're a bit of a leap but it's enough to justify it slightly.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 8, 2021

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Bucnasti posted:

I'm really fond of the player ships from Star Wars the Old Republic. They're all made to hold a small crew.

I had one of those years ago! No clue what is going on with that game these days if anything. To continue below...

MikeJF posted:

I love cozy sized ships. Normandy SR-1 and Tempest from mass effect are favorites. Cruising through the stars in a cozy little flying home.

Never played the mass effect games but I think this is the same mentality that I was thinking! Just big enough to have most of the necessities for you and maybe a few friends but also it's a space ship with seemingly near unlimited possibilities? There's something wonderful about that!

jeeves posted:

I think the small cozy ship feeling is why so many people love Voyager’s Intrepid or the ill-fated even tinier Nova class from one of that show’s two partners.

I know sometimes I really like to nerd out and look at fan made floor plans of trek ships, especially the aforementioned two smaller ones or the Defiant. The larger ships become just kind of magic of “deck 42 can fit anything” or such.

Strategic Designs makes some of the best ones, even if their Constitution one seems a bit small compared to the awesome JBOT ones.

Url code didn’t like the # in this:
https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php#B15

I can study regular building floorplans for hours and my imagination will run wild. Make them about something that can travel through space and open up a galaxy of intrigue while being your own little place? Definitely!

Also, thanks for all the other stuff!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Twenty Four posted:

I had one of those years ago! No clue what is going on with that game these days if anything.

There was supposed to be a new expansion dropping this month for the 10th anniversary, but they delayed it Februrary. Still pumping out content though.

Unfortunately ever since they converged all the storylines, players no longer really use their unique class ships within the story. As a replacement, the game added the Gravestone, an ancient superweapon that could destroy an entire fleet with, like, a chain lightning gun or something.

Obviously this was a tension-destroying starship so it was eventually destroyed, along with a mysterious never-explained spooky zone inside it.

So now everyone just uses the same generic shuttle to get everywhere, and the class ships no longer appear in story content.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Ashsaber posted:

Man, that looks even more like a space scooter for a mech than the White Ark from Victory, which was pretty much that.

e:fb

Hah, yeah. I didn't see it, because I'm used to seeing them in-game, having some sense of scale. According to the wiki, it's 164 meters long. Fits one of these:

... which the wiki claims is only 58 meters long? I feel like the midsection of a Chronos takes up half the total length, not only a third-ish. Not sure if the lengths are taken from an ingame document or derived from the models themselves.

MikeJF posted:

I love cozy sized ships. Normandy SR-1 and Tempest from mass effect are favorites. Cruising through the stars in a cozy little flying home.
It was entirely just "the Millennium Falcon, but not actually the Millennium Falcon," but I'm fond of the Ebon Hawk for just that reason. It's you, and your party, and that's it. The SR-1 is great for that plus "and your support staff" for a more grounded/realistic setting.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you want to go through space in comfort, you want a big ship that maybe has big empty spaces for you to forget that you're eternally indoors, but if you want to deal with the logistics of actually going stir-crazy, you want something smaller and more economical.

With ships where there's only room to stay seated, you can't really move around to really feel how cramped the area is, but then that'll either get uncomfortable for long time periods of use or it could lead to literal muscle atrophy.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Which is why none of the LEGO spacemen can bend their knees; just cockpits to sit in.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Twenty Four posted:

I can study regular building floorplans for hours and my imagination will run wild. Make them about something that can travel through space and open up a galaxy of intrigue while being your own little place? Definitely!

Oh boy do I have something for you in like... a year or so at the current rate.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Brawnfire posted:

Which is why none of the LEGO spacemen can bend their knees; just cockpits to sit in.

Speaking of Lego can I get some love for the classic lego space ships.

One of the very first Lego sets I owned.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I owned and loved this starship::

But there was a lot to be said for this little stocking-stuffer I got:

awwww

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Oh boy do I have something for you in like... a year or so at the current rate.

As long as I'm still breathing, I should be here as long as you remember!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Brawnfire posted:

I owned and loved this starship::

But there was a lot to be said for this little stocking-stuffer I got:

awwww

Hell yeah Lego Space, I had this bad boy which was incredible. The little cell at the back of the craft could detatch, it had lights and sounds, the cockpit was rad as hell (transparent red!) and best of all you could take off the POLICE bits and have the way cooler Blacktron dude drive it around, because gently caress the Space Police.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bucnasti posted:

Speaking of Lego can I get some love for the classic lego space ships.

One of the very first Lego sets I owned.

Same here!

The little buggy that lived in the back of it blew my mind when I first read the instructions.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Same here!

The little buggy that lived in the back of it blew my mind when I first read the instructions.

Me three! I was slightly too young and really struggled with that build. Then it was awesome. Then it was all cannibalized to make Lego Klingon warships. Very blocky ones, obviously.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Yeah I also had the smaller ship that had a little box in the back, but the folding ramp in the big ship was mind blowing to my tiny brain.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's a shame Star Wars has essentially replaced the Lego space line for the last 10 years, because some of the stuff they were doing before they canned it looks like a fun change of pace from slightly updated X-wings and TIEs every year.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Was feeling really nostalgic for that old Lego set, so I looked it up on ebay.

Starting price of $400.

:sigh:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Hell yeah Lego spaceships.

I had that as a kid, absolutely one of my favorite sets.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Was feeling really nostalgic for that old Lego set, so I looked it up on ebay.

Starting price of $400.

:sigh:

You can bodge an old set together by looking up the parts list online and buying the parts on the robust secondary brick market. It's surprising streamlined to do thanks to the sheer numbers of nerds that love lego.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hunter Noventa posted:

Hell yeah Lego spaceships.

I had that as a kid, absolutely one of my favorite sets.

Always wanted to see that motherfucker slalom down a slope

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I had this guy:

The cell in the middle could be dropped off and the entire ship would slide inwards to cover the gap, like this:

It owned.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When I was a kid, it didn't really line up with most of the space stufft that people talk about, but I remember this thing.

I like the idea of pushing this thing into overdrive and having it spin around, but mostly it's a convenient way to get a bunch of engines for making more spaceships.

Also a whole lot of Lego sci-fi ended up not being spaceships, like that is one of the only ships from the Spyrius theme, which was mostly mining robots. And then other Lego things I was into were Ice Planet 2002, the underwater stuff, life on Mars, time traveling with the spare bits from other themes, and the weird kinda steampunk Rock Raiders theme that was about digging underground for special crystals and ore. There was a whole lot of variety that they've kinda stepped away from now that they have all these big name IP licenses, but at least Ninjago and Monkey Kid maintains a lot of crazy to make up for that lack.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

re: medium-sized, comfy ships for a small crew, there's the Serenity, there's the Starbug (might be a bit cramped), and there's the deep space nine runabouts, which seemed to seat about four, and had a never-filmed but implied rear section with some kind of bunks/galley/etc?

I think the Serenity cutaways are pretty good at showing a decently-sized, believable ship interior:

I've never been a huge fan of the ship itself - something about mounting the engines midsection, the sort of craned neck/cockpit design that didn't seem to have a good reason to be swept up like that, etc. but it's exactly the size of ship I'd want to have, if I could have a space ship.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

CainFortea posted:

The Honorverse is a big chonky data dump pile of trash, but it's my pile of trash that I like to read.

In the books, in the midst of a war, they go through what is basically the aircraft carrier vs battleship fight that the US went through in the leadup to, and durring, WWII. Previously LACs (Light Attack Craft) were almost discontinued, as they had no warp capability, and died if an actual warship looked at them funny.

So the Shrike was developed to be launched from a very large ship, the size of a mainline combatant. The crew I think was 12 or so? The next largest warship would be a Frigate which was maybe 10 times the length of this ship.

I was wondering when/if the Honorverse would show up in this thread! Once upon a time they would have counted as myfavorite space ships. (I was obsessed, lol) Which is how I ended up doing those illustrations.
Here's the rest of them, since this is the thread for it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Leperflesh posted:

re: medium-sized, comfy ships for a small crew, there's the Serenity, there's the Starbug (might be a bit cramped), and there's the deep space nine runabouts, which seemed to seat about four, and had a never-filmed but implied rear section with some kind of bunks/galley/etc?

I think the Serenity cutaways are pretty good at showing a decently-sized, believable ship interior:

I've never been a huge fan of the ship itself - something about mounting the engines midsection, the sort of craned neck/cockpit design that didn't seem to have a good reason to be swept up like that, etc. but it's exactly the size of ship I'd want to have, if I could have a space ship.

The Serenity cutaways make physical sense because they're based on the set. The set for the show was built with each deck of the ship being a contiguous set. The first scene in the movie only has one hidden cut in it and goes all the way from the bridge to the cargo door.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My favorite Serenity thing was kicking open those foot-level doors and like, swing-dropping down into a personal cabin. Very fun.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

I was wondering when/if the Honorverse would show up in this thread! Once upon a time they would have counted as myfavorite space ships. (I was obsessed, lol) Which is how I ended up doing those illustrations.

This is rad and your drawings are rad.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Leperflesh posted:

and there's the deep space nine runabouts, which seemed to seat about four, and had a never-filmed but implied rear section with some kind of bunks/galley/etc?

The rear section was seen once - it was used in ‘Timescape’ - the only TNG episode in which a runabout featured.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

CaptainCrunch posted:

Which is how I ended up doing those illustrations.

Those are your work? Much love, dude. I am also a former obsessed fan and I loved seeing those.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

CaptainCrunch posted:

The HH books were like my favorite series back in high school, I loved these illustrations. Great work

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

The craned neck was to make it shaped more like a horse, cuz you know space western and all.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

The craned neck was to make it shaped more like a horse, cuz you know space western and all.

Ahh. God dammit, I never saw that, but now I'll never un-see it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That's also why zots of energy occasionally lashed out of the engine to flick away stray flies

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Robot Style posted:

It's cool that they got EC Henry to design this one. Wish Lucasfilm would scoop him up too.

If they did hire him they'd need to explain why they've been stealing his artwork and not crediting him for the last several years.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

To be fair, the rampant tracing in Star Wars stuff is on the individual artists and whatever companies are being contracted to do the art rather than Lucasfilm as a company itself. They're not going to cross-check every illustration or comic panel against every fanmade ship model to make sure the art is wholly original.

The triangle-wing TIE from Episode 9 is certainly something that makes you go "hmmmm...." but it's more likely that it was just revisiting unused concept art from 7, which Rise of Skywalker was already doing for with the Death Star ruins.

Visions using his B-Wing is pretty egregious, but that was the animation studio's choice rather than Lucasfilm itself, and Science SARU probably knew the model wasn't an official B-Wing design.
I've worked on movies where we bought turbosquid models to fill out background details and city skylines to save time/money, and in those cases the legal requirement was that we modify the silhouette of the object by 10%, and it looks like the animation studio tried to to exactly that in their episode, which they wouldn't have done if they thought the model matched the official design.

But even if EC Henry was brought on to design ships for The Mandalorian or something and wanted an explanation, Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau aren't going to be able to answer for the choices of JJ Abrams or Eunyoung Choi, so it's not like he'd be able to get a real answer anyway.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

CainFortea posted:

This is rad and your drawings are rad.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Those are your work? Much love, dude. I am also a former obsessed fan and I loved seeing those.

Vernii posted:

The HH books were like my favorite series back in high school, I loved these illustrations. Great work

Thanks all. I'm glad you like the images.
Unfortunately I lost all my original work in an old school "virus deleted my HD" incident circa 1999 so that's basically all there is. (And is why I run multiple redundant backups ever since!) I was also a huge fuckin' rear end back then so I burned all my bridges quite thoroughly. Ahh, youth.

Anyhow, more of the subject at hand. I have teeny tiny images of some addition noodling I did back then so enjoy!

An almost to scale impeller wedge visualization. The tiny white dot is a dreadnaught. The orange planes are the shields. The Age of (gravity) Sail!

WIP renders. I was building the ships in RHINO of all things back then.

Carrier.

Bonus tree cat doodles.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like EC Henry's work a lot, but to be honest, his TIE but with triangle wings wasn't the most innovative design. And in fact, it was already kinda done back in 2003.

I do like a lot of his other designs and the work he puts into making a little backstory for everything. It'd be cool to see him somehow go to the next level and be working on stuff and projects for being featured in full stories rather than just little videos of their own, but I don't really know how he'd go about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Robot Style posted:

It's a shame Star Wars has essentially replaced the Lego space line for the last 10 years, because some of the stuff they were doing before they canned it looks like a fun change of pace from slightly updated X-wings and TIEs every year.

Also not just that but with the generic space sets since there was no real "story" to them my brother and I just used the parts from them to create our own original ships and characters, act out stories with them which we would later turn into written sci-fi stories and so on. And the sets supported doing stuff like that by always showing alternate things you could build with the same parts. I feel that kids are probably less creative with the Star Wars ones where there's more of just one "correct" way to build them supported by the movie franchise and the figures that come with them are based on characters from the movies, etc.