Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Helluva headline: https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-witcher-season-2s-inexcusable-lack-of-sex-and-henry-cavill-bathtub-scenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Resident Alien returns Jan 24th.

Good show. Hope they don't gently caress it up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/porksmith/status/1469354323201175552

Looks like the Toast is headed to Tinsel Towwwnn.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/heyjenbartel/status/1469265094479650816?s=20

A good thread about what was missing from CB.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I know nothing about Cowboy Bebop so I could be way off but my impression is the original Cowboy Bebop was just kind of a standard serial western with the standard western ideas like "cowboy has a code" but it was the first or most affective exposure to that for a bunch of people who weren't interested in westerns but like anime and space stuff. And then the Netflix show recreated the style but either downplayed the western ideas or what I suspect is more likely they simply felt more generic since llke every space or sci fi or genre thing for the last few decades has used the same ideas and its no longer "unique" out of anime form? Or not as deep since its not as long a serial? And then hardcore fans reacted in over the top nasty ways because fans are by and large the worst. And since they were the ones most anticipating this the show was at the mercy of people watching what the Netflix algorithm wants them to.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

That Ed clip was honestly as bad as anything I've ever seen on TV and it's worth cancelling the show to prevent that character/performance from seeing another minute.

I don't know that Netflix has ever cancelled something this fast so their metrics must've been insanely bad and hopefully this will sour them on the live action anime stuff because IT'S NEVER WORKED NOT EVEN ONE TIME. There are more good movies based on video games than there are good live action animes.

The only other time it happened this quick that I can remember is earlier this year with The Irregulars the fantasy Sherlock Holmes show without Sherlock.

With the cancellation happening so fast my assumption is that Netflix was going in already planning on canning the show but wanted to see if it was going to be a surprise hit.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cowboy Bebop was a HK action movie in anime form

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I know nothing about Cowboy Bebop so I could be way off but my impression is the original Cowboy Bebop was just kind of a standard serial western with the standard western ideas like "cowboy has a code" but it was the first or most affective exposure to that for a bunch of people who weren't interested in westerns but like anime and space stuff. And then the Netflix show recreated the style but either downplayed the western ideas or what I suspect is more likely they simply felt more generic since llke every space or sci fi or genre thing for the last few decades has used the same ideas and its no longer "unique" out of anime form? Or not as deep since its not as long a serial? And then hardcore fans reacted in over the top nasty ways because fans are by and large the worst. And since they were the ones most anticipating this the show was at the mercy of people watching what the Netflix algorithm wants them to.

I remember when Firefly came out there was a huge contingent of "Whedon copied Cowboy Bebop!" fans.

And now with the live action adaptation, the complaint seems to be the opposite (in regards to the tone).

For what it's worth, as a casual viewer of the anime, I thought the live-action version was fine. Wasn't great but also wasn't the absolute worst thing in the world like the nerd consensus was.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Mike Flanagan has announced some of the cast for his next Netflix series The Fall of the House of Usher with the rest getting announced tomorrow.

So far:
Frank Langella
Carla Gugino
Mary McDonnell
Carl Lumbly
Mark Hamill

That's already a pretty solid list.

Rest of cast:
Henry Thomas
Samantha Sloyan
T'Nia Miller
Rahul Kohli
Kate Siegel
Zach Gilford
Katie Parker
Michael Trucco
Malcolm Goodwin
Crystal Balint
Sauriyan Sapkota

So, basically a bunch of people who have been in Flanagan stuff before with a couple newcomers.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Mike Flanagan make a film or series without casting your wife Kate Siegel challenge.

I actually think she's fine but it's a little bothersome to me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh. No one really cares when Rob Zombie does it or when Wes Anderson uses the same people a bunch.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

When you are using a bunch of the same people in things it would be kinda weird not to also include your wife if she's part of that group. Idk, if she was doing a bad job or being a jerk to people it's one thing - personally, I thought she (and everyone else) did a great job in Midnight Mass.

The real question is, where's Hamish??

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

With the cancellation happening so fast my assumption is that Netflix was going in already planning on canning the show but wanted to see if it was going to be a surprise hit.

That does seem likely. I suspect that the delay caused by Cho's injury on top of anything else they had to delay due to COVID and would have made retaining the talent expensive (similar to what happened to G.L.O.W.) and they held off in case it was a blowout hit. Since it wasn't, the scales tipped and they cancelled.

All of the flaws outlined above in the tweet dissection were correctable and it's hard to see what the series would have morphed into if it was given more than 10 episodes to do so.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New Toast drops January 4th in the UK. No idea when it is coming to America.

Also for Resident Alien they're splitting the season in two so the first half will start in January but there isn't a date for the second other than "summer."

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

Mike Flanagan make a film or series without casting your wife Kate Siegel challenge.

I actually think she's fine but it's a little bothersome to me.

Honestly I love it and she’s great.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Also for Resident Alien they're splitting the season in two so the first half will start in January but there isn't a date for the second other than "summer."

This is some bullshit!

At least season 3 of Derry Girls should be coming somewhat soon; I think they're done filming it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I imagine it is because Syfy doesn't have much of anything in the chamber and need something new to air.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

STAC Goat posted:

Eh. No one really cares when Rob Zombie does it or when Wes Anderson uses the same people a bunch.

3 words: Sheri Moon Zombie

That said no issues with Mike using the same people.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LionArcher posted:

It was extremely hyped and got bodied by WOT only dropped 3 episodes that day.

I still don't understand what people see in Wheel of Time. It took me three sittings to get through one episode and it sucked.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I watched all 3 episodes in one sitting and had a great time.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's a cool world where guys with swords and ladies with skirts do cool stuff; sometimes there's lesbians. 2 thumbs up

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's interesting that the sword guys are so sensitive and talk about their feelings to each other.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

One uses a hammer and axe.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I still don't understand what people see in Wheel of Time. It took me three sittings to get through one episode and it sucked.

Turn on your tv next time. If it keeps up this quality it will eclipse GOT by season 3.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Cojawfee posted:

it's really not that bad, Hawkeye and foundation are infinitely worse

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Cojawfee posted:

It's super good and cool.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cojawfee posted:

That's like watching the first episode of Fringe or Person of Interest. The show gets a lot better in episodes 4 and 5. I would just wait until the season is over at this point and check reviews to see if it goes anywhere. It's only 8 episodes.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The episodes have been getting better and better, so I'm pretty hopeful that the last 2 will be kick-rear end.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’m too lazy to scroll back, but to the person who talked about Beforeigners :

I just watched the first episode and I’m pretty well hooked. It’s really hard to say no to viking cop lady solving murder mysteries. drat!

But, does the translation available on HBOMax ever improve? My Norwegian is pretty minimal, but I can tell that what they’re translating is complicated and how they’re translating it isn’t, so I know a lot of content is getting lost.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember when Firefly came out there was a huge contingent of "Whedon copied Cowboy Bebop!" fans.

I remember thinking this when I was watching the first episode Fox cared to broadcast

:c00lbutt:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I had a similar reaction to the pilot but it really does progressively get better throughout the season, which I suppose is a failure on the part of the showrunners. I'm caught up and super hyped for the last 2 eps.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Turn on your tv next time. If it keeps up this quality it will eclipse GOT by season 3.

Ha! Sorry but Wheel of Time is a high quality Xena Warrior Princess at best. It’s got a nice coat of gloss while still feeling cheap. Say what you will about Game of Thrones making GBS threads the bed story wise. At least it looked cinematic while doing so.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If anyone's looking for something to watch this weekend

https://www.pcworld.com/article/559001/the-future-of-esports-is-microsoft-excel-and-its-on-espn.html

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I… kind of want to watch as someone who lives their life in Excel but doesn’t feel they’re that great with it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Raspberry Bang posted:

Ha! Sorry but Wheel of Time is a high quality Xena Warrior Princess at best. It’s got a nice coat of gloss while still feeling cheap. Say what you will about Game of Thrones making GBS threads the bed story wise. At least it looked cinematic while doing so.

Ha you should go back and watch GoT season 1, like the joust episode.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wheel of Time s1 is not great. Specifically, it doesn’t have the cast to get it through the early season issues - the Twin Rivers kids especially are really uninteresting to watch. Of course I’m biased because I’m not into the kind of generic fantasy it seems to revel in

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
All I want is a decent episodic fantasy show. A modern Hercules and Xena with orcs and taverns and dragons and a sidequest-of-the-week.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Uggggghhhhhhhhh

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/six-feet-under-reboot-hbo-1235130889

Never has "just leave it in peace" been more appropriate.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

All I want is a decent episodic fantasy show. A modern Hercules and Xena with orcs and taverns and dragons and a sidequest-of-the-week.

I mean this is basically the Witcher show, at least for now. While there's a running plot, there are several self-contained episodes, and season 2 looks to continue adapting the various short stories at least to some degree. Hopefully their production values have improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Season 2 reviews say they dropped the episodic/monster-of-the-week aspects. And the first season only did it a couple times.