Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

bees x1000 posted:

Ugh... so maybe a Hori PS4 Fighting Commander with a Brook Wingman to cover PC/360/PS4, and then continue to not play my Switch.

https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/10323791/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

bees x1000 posted:

Ugh... so maybe a Hori PS4 Fighting Commander with a Brook Wingman to cover PC/360/PS4, and then continue to not play my Switch.
Apparently I was thinking of the Xbox S/X/One/Series/whatever Fighting Commander...which doesn't work on 360 either:

https://stores.horiusa.com/fighting-commander-octa-designed-for-xbox-series-x-s-xbox-one/

And which Wingman are you looking at? The Brook stuff seems pretty limited in terms of consoles each adapter plays on, vs the Mayflash ones being pretty universal, minus 360 support. It's why I said you might need both Mayflash + Brook Xbox adapters. Or multiple Brook adapters. But hey that Xbox Hori controller works on Windows too at least.

japtor fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 19, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

thinking about it more, what I really want is a wired general purpose PC controller with a good dpad. It'd be nice if it worked everywhere else but I don't want that enough to pay. The Fighting Commander would be cool but it won't work for stuff like Monster Hunter or Elden Ring.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

bees x1000 posted:

thinking about it more, what I really want is a wired general purpose PC controller with a good dpad. It'd be nice if it worked everywhere else but I don't want that enough to pay. The Fighting Commander would be cool but it won't work for stuff like Monster Hunter or Elden Ring.

Xbox Series X controller has an alright dpad now very clicky with some resistance. If you’re cool with SNES dpads then an 8bitdo. Wish they did a Saturn pad with analog sticks lol.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

official xbox controllers aren't wired, but the 8bitdo SN30 looks promising.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I play mine wired just using the usb c cable that came with my Switch pro controller. At least on Windows so good point maybe that’s the only place it works wired.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

bees x1000 posted:

i like my sn30 quite a lot with my phone. i run mx linux on my desktop and it tries to act as a mouse so that's annoying. i have a quick little oneliner script to disable it but it doesn't always play nice with retroarch. my setup is weird, though.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

bees x1000 posted:

Can't you just connect a USB cable and use them wired?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Magus42 posted:

Can't you just connect a USB cable and use them wired?

Yeah, I do that already with my Xbone/DS4's. But the connection is never secure, frequently dropping out and needing to be replugged. Randomly losing control for 5 seconds is very bad for a shmup player.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

well my ps4 themed hori fighting commander showed up today. i played hooky from work for a few minutes and tested it out in retroarch with the first level of ketsui death label, batsugun, and blazing star. it worked out pretty well on each. i did have to set up the select/start buttons to be mapped to share/options but that's not too bad.

the d-pad was responsive and not stiff at all. i think i'd like it to be a little tighter but i think i'll get pretty used to it in a hurry. it's thicker than i thought it might be but i think that may turn out to make it more comfortable in the long run. the plastic is a little slick on my sweatpants so it was kinda difficult to rest it on my knee (holding it with my left hand) for rapid fire in blazing star. i tend to do that instead of setting turbo because of the tap vs. hold usage of the fire button in that game.

going to try it out with dangun feveron on the ps4 a little later today and i'll report back again.

EDIT: snuck away very briefly to try it out with dangun feveron on the ps4 and it was outstanding. way better than the normal controller. i gotta get back to work so i couldn't try it out with shikhondo soul eater (on the ps4 as well). maybe this evening.

bees x1000 posted:

Yeah, I do that already with my Xbone/DS4's. But the connection is never secure, frequently dropping out and needing to be replugged. Randomly losing control for 5 seconds is very bad for a shmup player.

could that be a voltage issue maybe? i once had a computer that would drop some peripherals if too many things were plugged in.

knuthgrush fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 19, 2021

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I don't know about the xbox controller but the micro USB on the PS4 controller is infamously dogshit. You might try a replacement cable and see if it's any more stable for you.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

i just beat hard mode A on ketsui death label with the fighting commander and it was great. i wasn't using retroarch's runahead mode but maybe i should. i'm kinda sick with the sniffles right now so that was probably a bad idea given it was kind of an adrenaline dump. enjoyed it though.

i also just learned that there's two shot buttons in death label: a spread shot and a lock shot. i've been playing entirely using the lock shot. i popped into novice mode to test the two out and i can't think of any reason why i'd want to use the spread shot. anyone have tips on using that? maybe in the higher difficulty levels?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

knuthgrush posted:

i just beat hard mode A on ketsui death label with the fighting commander and it was great. i wasn't using retroarch's runahead mode but maybe i should. i'm kinda sick with the sniffles right now so that was probably a bad idea given it was kind of an adrenaline dump. enjoyed it though.

i also just learned that there's two shot buttons in death label: a spread shot and a lock shot. i've been playing entirely using the lock shot. i popped into novice mode to test the two out and i can't think of any reason why i'd want to use the spread shot. anyone have tips on using that? maybe in the higher difficulty levels?
If the shots are roughly like (or identical to?) regular Ketsui, lock shot might be the normal shot button when held down, while spread would be the auto shot (or tapping normal shot). If that's the case there's reasons to use both. One is for basic movement, where you'll be slower while locking (and faster while not).

The other is for scoring, which could be very different in Death Label for all I know. But basically in vanilla Ketsui, if you destroy enemies with the regular shot, it triggers boxes numbered 1-5 based on proximity (5 being closest), which starts a chain timer. Then while that's going, you can use the lock on to continue destroying stuff with the same box number locked in (at any distance), which I think also has some box multiplier connected to it. If you just destroy stuff with the laser in the first place it just gives you 1 boxes. So the ideal pattern is to kill something close with the regular shot to trigger the 5s, lock on kill everything else while you can, repeat. When it comes to the bosses, they have different destructive bits so you can milk 5s if you're good enough.

But again Death Label could be completely different so this all might be moot info :v:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX2WJD2-tG4

I now hold the world record for this difficulty and shot type!

Mystic Square is a minor Touhou game but there is still some competition for scores, though not a ton. It's an interesting game because it's from before ZUN basically settled on what kind of shmup he wanted to make; it's still danmaku but you see lots of fast bullets and quick reactions, in comparison to the much slower games he released later. I enjoyed it a lot.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

nrook posted:

Mystic Square is a minor Touhou game but there is still some competition for scores, though not a ton. It's an interesting game because it's from before ZUN basically settled on what kind of shmup he wanted to make; it's still danmaku but you see lots of fast bullets and quick reactions, in comparison to the much slower games he released later. I enjoyed it a lot.

congrats, that's awesome

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

japtor posted:

If the shots are roughly like (or identical to?) regular Ketsui, lock shot might be the normal shot button when held down, while spread would be the auto shot (or tapping normal shot). If that's the case there's reasons to use both. One is for basic movement, where you'll be slower while locking (and faster while not).

The other is for scoring, which could be very different in Death Label for all I know. But basically in vanilla Ketsui, if you destroy enemies with the regular shot, it triggers boxes numbered 1-5 based on proximity (5 being closest), which starts a chain timer. Then while that's going, you can use the lock on to continue destroying stuff with the same box number locked in (at any distance), which I think also has some box multiplier connected to it. If you just destroy stuff with the laser in the first place it just gives you 1 boxes. So the ideal pattern is to kill something close with the regular shot to trigger the 5s, lock on kill everything else while you can, repeat. When it comes to the bosses, they have different destructive bits so you can milk 5s if you're good enough.

But again Death Label could be completely different so this all might be moot info :v:

Well that explains why my scores are trash despite seemingly killing each stage. Thanks!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

nrook posted:

Double post because phone but congrats! Very cool!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

nrook posted:

PC-98 Touhou is super underrated. Mystic Square is pretty great, congrats

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Yooo nice, I 1CC'd Mystic Square a while back. Fun game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
DDP DFK came out on Switch a few days ago. It's available basically worldwide and is US$20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8iyNUhzm38

Castle of Shikigami 2 and Crimzon Clover World EXplosion now have release dates of December 7 on their Steam store pages.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

40% discount on World Explosion if you own World Ignition too. :woop:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I can't tell if this is a joke or not, can't test at work. And a buddy's comments make it sound like it is not.

https://twitter.com/JaimersSTG/status/1466482845933785098

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

It’s real. I know a few people playing it. Hell someone got a clear with it almost as soon as it dropped.

I guess in April is when the normal version will be released.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Just searched youtube for saidaioujou videos uploaded today, and here we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaXxRA9xTj8

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I appreciate the effort that went into making this

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It wasn't in this past April when the board was originally dumped? I was skimming around when I saw the news on Reddit and it seemed a PCB board was moving between hands earlier this year.

Anyway Crimzon Clover EX hit Steam a few hours ago finally, and so did Shikigami 2 I was told. Snapped up CC immediately, and wondered why I grabbed that physical copy for Switch that ships in the next month or three. Still loving the game.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://twitter.com/Hanaji/status/1468751957003468802

Mecha Ritz is getting some kind of big update next year, and also being ported to consoles. Update's free for people who already own it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

That game looks awesome. I'll check it out.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Switched from ketsui death label for a while over to dodonpachi using fbneo in retroarch. I have the ROM on my phone and I wish lemuroid would recognize it because it'd be really fun on the go.

I'm not real familiar with DDP so I was curious about strategy for using the wide shot vs the focused shot. Tapping the fire button all the time is suuuper uncomfortable after a while, so I was going to put it on turbo and that's when I found the focused shot. I'm sure I'm using the wrong words here but hopefully that makes sense. When is it best to use each shot?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Dodonpachi has an autofire built into the game, though I think you need to get it into options mode to enable it.

In general, you use the shot to deal damage to a lot of enemies at once, and the laser to hurt single enemies with higher health. This varies a bit depending on whether you select a “shot” or “laser” type ship. The main advantage of the shot ships is that their shots deal more damage; the main advantage of the laser ships is that their lasers cover more area and the ship can move faster while firing the laser. As such, the laser ships often use their lasers even against normal enemies, sweeping the screen. Even the shot ships will use the laser against bosses and mini bosses, however.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

if you care about scoring then you can preserve and build your chain by lasering bigger enemies

also, you might notice that as you use the laser a little back blast will appear around the front of your ship. guess what? that's a hitbox! and it stacks damage with your laser! you can absolutely chainsaw poo poo in ddp with it if you're feeling brave

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

knuthgrush posted:

Switched from ketsui death label for a while over to dodonpachi using fbneo in retroarch. I have the ROM on my phone and I wish lemuroid would recognize it because it'd be really fun on the go.

I'm not real familiar with DDP so I was curious about strategy for using the wide shot vs the focused shot. Tapping the fire button all the time is suuuper uncomfortable after a while, so I was going to put it on turbo and that's when I found the focused shot. I'm sure I'm using the wrong words here but hopefully that makes sense. When is it best to use each shot?
Not completely sure about DDP's hardware, but decent chance there's a third button that does auto shot, might need to be enabled in the game's settings/dip switches. (efb the rest of this but whatever:)

Really loose overview is that there's the (wide) shot, where you tap (or auto shot), and laser where you hold. Latter is stronger/focused, and slows down your movement, which can help when dodging tighter bullet patterns.

The main thing for DDP scoring is chaining destroyed enemies...and pretty much everything flows from that. The shot works for blowing up all the smaller enemies, but on larger enemies the chain meter will drop out before they get destroyed. Using the laser will keep the chain alive as long as it's connected with something. There's also an aspect of using either type to manage/limit the destruction so to speak for chaining purposes, like using one or the other to blow up only a few enemies at a time, always leaving something to kill before the chain meter runs out.

There's some other little aspects to the laser. There's a few bees hidden about the levels (there's little visual cues that hint at them), and using the tip of the laser or aura around the ship (when you initiate the laser) reveals them so you can collect them (mostly for points but I think there's some other benefits...that you probably won't be able to take advantage of yet). That ship aura is also destructive so you can get near stuff and do damage or milk things here and there if you're willing to get that close.

edit: almost forgot this thing, I guess Daigo (of fighting game fame/"Let's go, Justin!" guy) is gonna do some 1v1 thing with two of the top DDP DOJ players playing simultaneously?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM8_nl8WJLI

japtor fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 11, 2021

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Thanks for the info!

I saw the bees a few times and just assumed they were fun scoring things.

I'll see if I can figure out the options.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1471811650957111296?s=20

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Jesus Christ that is a good line up

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Holy moly, what does this mean for M2 releasing these games piecemeal?

Actually wait they included Raiden but not DX, thing is trash :colbert:

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 17, 2021

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

I hope that we can still get M2 versions of Batrider and Bakraid.
And Dogyuun and Batsugun.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Shmups forum people are dumping on this because they didn't like the previous Astro Mini, M2 probably isn't involved, and they don't believe the emulation will be up to par. Remember M2 couldn't run Bakraid to their satisfaction on PS4.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

bees x1000 posted:

Shmups forum people are dumping on this because they didn't like the previous Astro Mini, M2 probably isn't involved, and they don't believe the emulation will be up to par. Remember M2 couldn't run Bakraid to their satisfaction on PS4.

There's plenty of value to be found in the shmups forum, but it's filled with people who got into the genre with Gradius on the NES but now consider anything less than just using the original PCB on a high-end CRT to be unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

Holy moly, what does this mean for M2 releasing these games piecemeal?

Actually wait they included Raiden but not DX, thing is trash :colbert:

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1471827910403129344?s=20

Seems like this is a "Mikado arcade has a lot of goodwill so everyone's down to help out when asked" type one-off and probably won't affect other rerelease plans. Which makes sense because...imagine this list as a PSN or Switch release or w/e. Would be 2 blessed