Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I really hope they can get Creatures 2 working. It's my favorite (and it has the cutest norns IMO), but it runs like dog rear end on modern PCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
As a user on the previous page said, "The Albion years" Has the content from both 1 and 2.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

This one ended up being a ton of fun and sucked away a few hours last night. It's incredibly stupid and immature in some places, but it has heart. Actually comes from a Brazilian studio, I think we're gonna start seeing better and more games coming from Brazil.

Basically an RPG with an in-depth story, occasional mech battles, stupid-rear end jokes, and running errands. But the big thing is that the ENTIRE game, from what I can tell, is fully voiced which is absolutely crucial. And it's voiced well.

This one was cool too, it's insanely beautiful. Monochrome was definitely a good call.

The metaphors for racism and xenophobia are a bit heavy-handed so far, but they still hit.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/867210/Songs_of_Conquest/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256838267/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1623625457

Songs of Conquest has a DELIGHTFUL look to it, and reminds me just enough of Heroes of Might and Magic III that I basically have no choice but to give it a try

quote:

A classic turn-based strategy adventure that fuses RPG, armed conflict and kingdom management. Raise mighty armies, wield ancient magic and conquer distant lands to build an empire that bards will sing about for centuries!

Also a remastered old game called Rune Factory 4 came out which I don't know much about, plus the remastered Sam and Max: Beyond Time and Space

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Play posted:

Also a remastered old game called Rune Factory 4 came out which I don't know much about

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1580240/Rune_Factory_4_Special/

quote:

Features
A World of Possibility
Grow crops, raise monsters, catch fish, cook up tasty dishes, and craft powerful equipment. Live your life however you choose!

Adventure Awaits
Venture outside the town gates to explore dangerous dungeons. Use swords, spears, staves, and other weapons and magic to personalize your battle tactics as formidable monsters await in trap-laden dungeons. Invite the townsfolk, develop friendships with monsters, and grow stronger together.

Expand Your Social Circle
Become friends (or more than friends) with a charming and interactive cast of characters, and breathe life into the town with seasonal festivals and competitions.

Live Happily Ever After
Play through a special story alongside your spouse in Newlywed Mode and fall in love with your favorites all over again! The 13 fully-voiced "Another Episode" bonus stories narrated by the marriage candidates (and Ventuswill) are also included.

More Content than Ever
If you're a Rune Factory 4 fanatic, challenge yourself with a new difficulty mode, then relax and enjoy new in-game cutscenes and an updated opening sequence.

It's Harvest Moon but with a focus on combat / weirder things, and while I haven't played it yet as I understand it the series is beloved. If you like Stardew Valley, check this out!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
rune factory is harvest moon/story of seasons with more jrpg elements. its really good, super charming, has way more writing and character than a stardew valley.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/867210/Songs_of_Conquest/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256838267/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1623625457

Songs of Conquest has a DELIGHTFUL look to it, and reminds me just enough of Heroes of Might and Magic III that I basically have no choice but to give it a try

Coffee Stain hasn't missed yet, I'm interested in where this goes.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

one of the devs gave an amazing talk at Roguelike Celebration this year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdQxLThAbs8

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Transiruby

quote:

Explore the mysteries of an unknown land! ”Transiruby '' is a metroidvania game where you explore the world as a cyborg protagonist named Siruby. Slash and shoot your way to reveal its hidden secrets!
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256837518/movie480_vp9.webm

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1716120/Monster_Rancher_1__2_DX/

quote:

Enjoy “Monster Rancher” and “Monster Rancher 2” to the fullest!
20 years since their release, the legendary monster training games “Monster Rancher” and “Monster Rancher 2”
are bringing back the exciting days of growing, training, and competing with your unique monsters!
"Will you grow your strongest monsters by doting on them or by developing an intense training regime? Find your own style among endless possibilities! "

[“Monster Rancher” and “Monster Rancher 2” Features]
● Raise, train, and battle just like in the original!
You can acquire, train, and battle with all kinds of monsters just like in the original “Monster Rancher” games.
In addition, you can take advantage of the online features to both acquire new monsters and compete online.

● Evolving from the original series
Based on the feedback from the series fans, some of the most requested improvements have been incorporated into the game,
making it more comfortable to play while maintaining the fun of the original.

● The New Monster Generating System!
One of the most unique features of the original game, which allowed players to acquire monsters by importing CDs,
has been replaced with a new music database that can be used to generate monsters by searching CD titles!
"This is your chance to raise the rare monsters that you couldn’t acquire before! "

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Holy poo poo - totally getting this. MR2 was such a great raising sim. I put so many hours into that game.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1607390/Trailmakers_High_Seas_Expansion/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256864320/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1639136790

Trailmakers: High Seas isn't a new game per se but an expansion to a building and physics game that I enjoyed a lot.

quote:

Brave the storm and dive into a new Trailmakers experience introducing a completely revamped physics-based system for Weather, Wind and Waves

Unleash a whole new level of creativity in the builder and build anything from surfboards and luxury yachts to huge fully rigged tall ships to immerse yourself in the High Seas World.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Wrought Flesh

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256858229/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1635616034

quote:

Rip out enemies organs and equip them in your own body. Fight biopunk monsters and drugged-up space bandits. You are a Gajeshian Cultist: A near-mythological being built from the bodies of long-dead saints. You have arrived on the partially terraformed planet of Chrisembourgh on a temple-ordained mission to find and kill someone. Explore the planet and trace your victims steps to the end.

Features:
- organ based stat system
- literal finger gun
- 10 unique enemies
- 8 guns
- 3 boss fights
- dozens of quests
- 3 biomes to explore

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Somebody really liked Existenz.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Awesome concept but dear god what awful graphics.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
What do you mean, I look forward to playing it on my brand new Pentium 3 and AMD Rage 128!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Gynovore posted:

Awesome concept but dear god what awful graphics.

I end up thinking this for 95% of the games posted in this thread

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i watch the game awards yesterday and imo this looks visually more interesting than 80% of the games there

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Apparently only like 3-4 hours long, so I'll probably wait until it's either cheaper or a bit more fleshed out, but this looks dope

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
who the hell cares about video game graphix in 2021 lol

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

at this stage video game graphics are just visual cryptocurrency. you're spending hundreds of watts of GPU use per device calculating useless fleeting mathematical problems like realtime GI so someone can get the rush of toying with something expensive feeling? oh you're using 3000x the combined computing power of the manned mission to the moon to tessellate the water and raytrace its reflections back up the player character's skirt? like gently caress off with that poo poo. the world is dying

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

What do you mean, I look forward to playing it on my brand new Pentium 3 and AMD Rage 128!

I about died when my friend bought me Project Warlock out of the blue and a copy for himself. Turned out (and I don't know what he could have been running, maybe onboard graphics?) it wouldn't run on his system so he and ended up getting a 3080 with his stimulus check.

Obviously that's overkill but this pixelated Doom/Heretic/Blood clone does not run without something with at least a gigabyte of VRAM.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Hashy posted:

at this stage video game graphics are just visual cryptocurrency. you're spending hundreds of watts of GPU use per device calculating useless fleeting mathematical problems like realtime GI so someone can get the rush of toying with something expensive feeling? oh you're using 3000x the combined computing power of the manned mission to the moon to tessellate the water and raytrace its reflections back up the player character's skirt? like gently caress off with that poo poo. the world is dying

sounds like you're saying no one should play or make video games ever again.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hashy posted:

sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays!!!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i believe the truth is somewhere in the middle

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hashy posted:

It's okay grandpa, we have your 386SX over here, just as you remember it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Hashy posted:

Things are bad for sure, but we in Games like to try to use this space to enjoy our hobby when we can. Please do not doompost in Games.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Indy PS1-rear end low poly graphics aesthetics kick rear end, and I want a lot more of them. I think the time is right for someone to put out an immersive sim or grand rpg in this style.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bug Squash posted:

Indy PS1-rear end low poly graphics aesthetics kick rear end, and I want a lot more of them. I think the time is right for someone to put out an immersive sim or grand rpg in this style.

check out dread delusion

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Hashy posted:

Otacon!?

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
My favorite game is to sit outside and try to remember different bugs that I saw when I was a child, until I die of starvation

E: pikmin, that’s what it was called

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Planets dyin Cloud.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Bug Squash posted:

https://twitter.com/moshboy/status/1335080853987192832

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

For anybody interested, the developer of Wrought Flesh has several videos detailing his progress in making the game. He's also pretty good for game development tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Miziziziz

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Bug Squash posted:

Samurai Unicorn looks kinda neat.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Bug Squash posted:

Isn't that basically Kenshi?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

:agreed: on "paid more to work less" but I do like my games long as gently caress. Tedious maybe, repetitive, naturally but Assassin's Creed long. GTA long.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
my man have you heard about roguelikes

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

:agreed: on "paid more to work less" but I do like my games long as gently caress. Tedious maybe, repetitive, naturally but Assassin's Creed long. GTA long.

Same. My favorite games are 80+ hour RPGs like Persona 4 and 5. Definitely agree on pay people who make games more and stop crunch culture though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Timerunner

quote:

Take on the role of a mysterious character known only as "The Alien Traveler" and lead him on an intergalactic journey from beyond the stars all the way to our planet Earth.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256841857/movie480_vp9.webm

An FPS with time stop mechanics a la Superhot. From the reviews it looks like it's fairly short and at least mildly janky, but it's also $5 right now, so maybe that's not too bad.