Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
So I guess the developer of UndeadPeople is a transphobic shitlord? Have been digging the set, but given he had a public meltdown over this PR https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/51079, deleted his discord, and vowed not to work on DDA or BN anymore I figure I'll swap to something else more permanently now. Also apparently this is a common occurrence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Sab Sabbington posted:

So I guess the developer of UndeadPeople is a transphobic shitlord? Have been digging the set, but given he had a public meltdown over this PR https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/51079, deleted his discord, and vowed not to work on DDA or BN anymore I figure I'll swap to something else more permanently now. Also apparently this is a common occurrence?

Yeah it's happened a few times before. And despite him being a shithead, he kind of has a point about how he and all developers outside the Kevin fiefdom are treated.

It's a shame, since UndeadPeople is literally the only feature-complete and mod-comprehensive texture pack and likely always will be.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

You wield your tent.

Fake edit: ^^ That also sucks.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yeah it's happened a few times before. And despite him being a shithead, he kind of has a point about how he and all developers outside the Kevin fiefdom are treated.

It's a shame, since UndeadPeople is literally the only feature-complete and mod-comprehensive texture pack and likely always will be.

Ultica is getting there though I don't know how well it supports mods, it looks a hell of a lot better too

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

goatsestretchgoals posted:

You wield your tent.

Fake edit: ^^ That also sucks.
Oof

Can you deconstruct the pier for nails? Not sure if you can build a boat otherwise as I assume you don't start with welding gear

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Not sure yet, I survived that initial encounter by running away to the top left corner of the island and switching between rifle and pistol but I bounced off the new pocket system hard last night. I think I know what I was doing wrong* and I'm going to try again tonight or this weekend. I'm sitting on a decent hoard of military gear including multiple days of food so the next task is going to be getting off this island, preferably with at least some of my gear.

* So apparently your pocket autopickup settings are completely ignored if you try to do something silly like...insert an item into a specific container. This is dumb as hell but I'm pretty sure I can work around it by setting specific pockets to 999 priority with small whitelists then putting my main looting backpack at 998? Once again, this is a stupid way to do it.

http://cddawiki.chezzo.com/cdda_wiki/index.php?title=Clothing#Inserting_and_Unloading_Pockets posted:

By default, items picked up will be distributed to the smallest available space into which they can fit. Items can be manually moved between items of clothing by selecting the clothing item, then gong to the insert menu. The insert menu will display all items currently in the player's inventory (not including the surrounding area) that can fit into a pocket on the selected item, but does not itself permit for placing items in specific pockets. Important: Using the Insert option will override pocket pickup settings, and place the item in the first available pocket.

Unloading an article of clothing will dump all items contained in that clothing into other pockets on the player, or the ground if no space remains (unloaded items won't empty into themselves).

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
skipped ahead a few dozen pages from earlier this year, but was there ever a new thread made? someone was talking about it literally about a year ago. Just want to make sure it wasn't missed.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Chiming in to say it's incredible how much more fun Bright Nights is than the main branch of the game.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Agreed. Has the fun content upgrades without the headachey bullshit "upgrades." BN made the game enjoyable for me again, I'm never going back.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I hopped back in a few days ago and am using that Utica tileset. Shits good but that tileset has issues with vehicles which should get fixed (some vehicle wall tiles are only in existence for left side walls, so when you use them for the right walls they look off). Will likely continue to play until I get burned out like I do every couple months.

My current Homestead vehicle can go about 7 minutes of driving on a full charge of battery. Which is enough to basically completely reposition my self somewhat nearby. Actually has been pretty fun.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

What designs do you folks use for deathmobiles/mobile bases? I haven’t ever built up a “real” endgame vehicle wider than 5 tiles because CDDA highways path through downtown fucksville.

It’s been a few months but my last design was basically a big rear end pickup truck, 5x10. I put a door between the cab and the bed so I could use the 9x cargo spaces for crafting.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I usually start with an APC. Good sized (fits everything I need), already made of heavy frames and covered in armor.
Front driving seat, opaque wall (w/door) to the rear portion that has crafting tools, storage, and a bed.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 26, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
This game is the first time that I built one up from the ground/starting with the 1 tile frame. Unsure about the exact dimensions but its 5-7 tiles wide and about 8-9 long. Basically a very outsized humvee with a seat, 6-7 hauling spaces and assorted installed production features.

You don't really need to compartmentalize stuff or build separate walls, its extra weight and if its up armored enough (military grade) you have to really gently caress up to get a wall breached and also not be able to gtfo and fix it up.

You can get fancy with laser weapons and they are really great at city clearing, but a single .50 cal and a fairly steady supply of ammo can do you just fine.

So basically its a large box with wheels and a gun turret or two.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 26, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The reason I have an internal wall is that I want my sleeping/crafting area to be fully opaque so a passing trash mob won't see me and start bashing the walls (won't damage them, but wakes me up / interrupts me)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

The reason I have an internal wall is that I want my sleeping/crafting area to be fully opaque so a passing trash mob won't see me and start bashing the walls (won't damage them, but wakes me up / interrupts me)

I have blast shields over the windshield which I just open and close as needed. Cuts off the vision.

Those might be a mod but I think you can just install curtains normally.

Anyways to each their own! I am just trying the open floor plan out this run, I have run into issues in the past where weight starts being a real issue as you can't easily fix tires and such because its too heavy to jack up.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Have a 1×1 crane vehicle, either folding or attached via bike carrier.

I built a 3-wide vehicle with everything I needed once, but it turned out that some of the crafting station side tiles weren't impassable and zombies could get on board while I was driving.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Biggest vehicle I've ever done was a 7x13, 3x9 internal space with 2 layers thick armour all around. It was great having both every vehicle crafting station and a ton of storage. Then I got a storage dimension from blazemod and it ended up being half empty and despite the armour it couldn't really ram anything out of the way. I'll probably go for smaller in the future but it was a fun project scavenging military and solar vehicles while my deathmobile protected me with its turrets.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

My pet gets very upset with me when left unfed but thus far has swept a whole-rear end town and a bunch of this TCL top floor. Shame I had to risk a 'nade to finish off that pupating zombie for him, but minus the hearing loss all's well so far. I think I'm going to introduce him to the garbage dump bandits next bury him next to the Yule Cat he mutually annihilated, may they rest in peace :smith:

What designs do you folks use for deathmobiles/mobile bases? I haven’t ever built up a “real” endgame vehicle wider than 5 tiles because CDDA highways path through downtown fucksville.

It’s been a few months but my last design was basically a big rear end pickup truck, 5x10. I put a door between the cab and the bed so I could use the 9x cargo spaces for crafting.

Wayfarer nomad. I am the deathmobile.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Mr. Showtime posted:

I am the deathmobile.

Found heavy military armor in a bank safe right next to my starting evac center. With 30/60+ protection It's been incredibly fun getting punched through house walls and just not giving a poo poo. I have absolutely been disarmed and swarmed and just not noticed as mash the tab key down and punch the zombies to death.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 28, 2021

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Limo with a bed up front and an internal bike rack bay in the back to attach 1 tile utility carts (kitchen, welder, crane, etc) and a bike for city excursions.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Luxury RV, lighten the frame, add more solar, and make it float. It's a blast but boat mode can really eat the batteries.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hippie van with curtains, off-road tires, and armored bumper, mounted MG in the passenger set, and a bit of upgraded cargo space in the back. Also a welding rig replacing one rear quarter panel and a bike rack for storing a utility cart. Oh and the engine moved to the rear (not just less vulnerable to damage but also where the engine should be!)

There are better options but I love driving around in a post-apocalyptic Volkswagen Type-2 Bus.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It's probably the most repeated question in the thread, but do heavy duty roofs offer any practical advantage over regular roofs?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm resurrecting this thread to lol about how bonkers the body temp system is and how predictable the dev responses are

So if the ambient temperature is outside the typical indoor air conditioned range, you get pretty severe penalties to speed. If the temperature is above ~88f, your character actually gets a pain debuff. In shorts and a t-shirt.

Combine that with the glare debuff from existing in sunshine, and you can tell the contributors never leave the house. If I go outside in the summer, my skin will scorch from my body and my eyes will be blinded by the hateful sun. Morale boost +5: Closed curtains to basement window

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm resurrecting this thread to lol about how bonkers the body temp system is and how predictable the dev responses are

So if the ambient temperature is outside the typical indoor air conditioned range, you get pretty severe penalties to speed. If the temperature is above ~88f, your character actually gets a pain debuff. In shorts and a t-shirt.

Combine that with the glare debuff from existing in sunshine, and you can tell the contributors never leave the house. If I go outside in the summer, my skin will scorch from my body and my eyes will be blinded by the hateful sun. Morale boost +5: Closed curtains to basement window

yeah lmao

i haven't played cdda in a while, but when i still was, i'd modded the temperature penalties to be way, way lower. i've spent days outside in 40 degrees celsius weather wearing heavy pants, boots and a t-shirt and i might've gotten sweaty as gently caress but i wasn't literally being IMMOBILIZED BY HORRIFYING PAIN. and I am Not In Shape by any measure. like half of the ambient effects in this game seem eyeballed in the same way that one guy did balance for a tabletop rpg by swinging his mouse around by the cord and deciding the particular thing he wanted to balance was actually too hard to do by any human being.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
My alabama summer 100% humidity high 90°s will be the real end of me if the zombie apocalypse comes

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Surely there's at least one troop adjacent to the devs.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Thinking on it, all these modern houses going to suck to live in once the powers gone. Aint got no good airflow . Got to start building shotgun houses to prepare

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

World Famous W posted:

Thinking on it, all these modern houses going to suck to live in once the powers gone. Aint got no good airflow . Got to start building shotgun houses to prepare

cataclysm has told me that the proper way to prepare is stacking welders and buckets of AA batteries in your garage. as long as you're ready to turn grandma's buick into THE KILLFUCKLER you've got it

you could even keep the AC!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There was a mod that claims to remove the temperature debuffs but in my experience it didn't actually work.
In my experience with CDDA, winter is when you dress normally and summer is when wearing a backpack even while naked will cause you to overheat.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

If that's honestly the way they wanted to go, they could have just said the cataclysm wrecked the weather and made it super hot in the summer and super cold in the winter

I don't mind having to deal with the weather and ambient temperature as a gameplay mechanic, but it is genuinely lmao that someone out there thinks an average new england summer cripples anyone brave enough to step outdoors

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Pretty sure we've posted before about how hosed the temperature system is :v:

Aside from the scorching summer it's still funny that you can give yourself huge heat penalties(up to taking damage) by standing slightly too close to a small and contained fire inside a house while all doors and windows are wide open when you cook something

Also pro-tip for summer loot runs in full armor: Get into a random car every few minutes and sit there for a moment to magically cool off because the AC in this universe is always running

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 9, 2021

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
Counterpoint: I sometimes burn myself on the stove, this is realism

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Did temperature debuffs get worse? I remember a low single digit percent speed malus at 80F+ which seemed fair.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I guess DDA added back in a mansion start so it is with a heavy heart that i am forced to say DDA Is Good Again. (It's not but I have very fond memories of the themed butler/maid mansion start)

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Over the last month, I have adjusted down the spawn numbers and/or variance for various locations in the game.

* Parks
* Trailer parks
* Hospitals
* Sports arenas and stadiums

The areas below were also touched, mainly to reduce variance rather than the numbers.
* Pools
* Schools

Turns out the people who did mapgen on these places didn't fully understand that the place_monsters json flag will place every valid monster in a group exactly once, and this causes hell for larger groups.

So, uh... Parks and trailer parks shouldn't be deathtraps anymore, and hospitals should be something you can get into your reality bubble without being overrun by five hundred zombies for no real reason.

I also made a pull request for Bright Nights so hopefully they can get parks that aren't deathtraps soon too.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 12, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I was wondering why every park had a blob of 50 zombies in it and hospitals were so crowded with zombies they'd group_bash the walls down.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

ive been trying to get into cataclysm and even though all my industrial cyborg did was board up some windows, loot a house very slowly, get owned by basement zombies, i had a pretty good time

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Not sure how much you can pick mutation directions from a starting scenario but the rat mutation path is pretty good for scrunt roleplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tin Tim posted:

Not sure how much you can pick mutation directions from a starting scenario but the rat mutation path is pretty good for scrunt roleplay

Pretty sure I saw a change in experimental recently which made starting mutations contribute towards mutation direction so it's now possible to get down a certain mutation pathway more easily based on your starting setup