Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tokyo is real for all intents and purposes. It was created by a genuine miracle by a deity in control of the throne of creation so it's as real as anything else and remains connected to the rest of the world. But it acts as a sort of seal on top of Da'at, separating it from the rest of the world and keeping the demons from entering. But with God's death that seal is beginning to break and the demons are making it through, so in the tunnel one part basically just collapses and you end up in Da'at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
100% compendium get. Now I just need to fuse and level up like eight more demons to go after the DLC boss. Will probably just youtube the Neutral ending since I want to see the hidden one.

Now that emulation is a thing I should really go back and do 4 (and 4A I guess?). There's probably a texture pack floating around somewhere that makes it look pretty. It was only the handheld form factor that killed it for me.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just to add to the record: I posted earlier how I thought the sidequests involving a choice between two sides were a major factor of the Law/Chaos alignment option, but I just got to the point where the game clarifies your alignment and I'm somehow still very lawful despite making the opposite choices from my previous playthrough.

so yeah I have no idea how alignment works and if it's based chiefly on dialogue choices throughout the main plot I am just plum baffled at what response corresponds to what alignment

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

edit; I didn't read properly, disregard

cshell
Nov 20, 2021

Regy Rusty posted:

Tokyo is real for all intents and purposes. It was created by a genuine miracle by a deity in control of the throne of creation so it's as real as anything else and remains connected to the rest of the world. But it acts as a sort of seal on top of Da'at, separating it from the rest of the world and keeping the demons from entering. But with God's death that seal is beginning to break and the demons are making it through, so in the tunnel one part basically just collapses and you end up in Da'at.

Spoilers for... midgame(?) world building I don't remember when the NPCs I'm mentioning appear
I don't feel like Tokyo is necessarily real, given what NPCs say about buildings disappearing and people who are older than 18 (i.e. they would have been killed back then) having faces that can't be made out. Feels like the reverse versions of Nocturne manikins - they're real human shells, and clearly are capable of having normal human kids, even, but who knows what's inside now that God's miracle is gone.. Makes for excellent horror material imo

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Game rules. Also makes me yearn even more for a bigger budget Dragon Quest Monsters. Those DQM games definitely too some queues from SMT, it seems. We're the Demon fusions in the first game?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Zurtilik posted:

Game rules. Also makes me yearn even more for a bigger budget Dragon Quest Monsters. Those DQM games definitely too some queues from SMT, it seems. We're the Demon fusions in the first game?

The first Megami Tensei came out in 1987 and had demon fusions which worked similarly to how they do now (though skill inheritance and demons leveling up didn't come until much later).

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The update to remove the “gimmicks” came out does anyone know what it actually changed?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Item Getter posted:

The first Megami Tensei came out in 1987 and had demon fusions which worked similarly to how they do now (though skill inheritance and demons leveling up didn't come until much later).

Skill inheritance is in 2

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Boy, people weren't kidding about the beginning of this fourth area. I only beat one mini-boss that wasn't 10+ levels above me. Struggling to find leylines out here too.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Item Getter posted:

Wild that I've played so many games that are obviously inspired by SMT but never touched the series before.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Zurtilik posted:

Wild that I've played so many games that are obviously inspired by SMT but never touched the series before.

It's not that shocking, we didn't really get the games in the west until the late 90s (and barely) due to a lot of the trappings.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh yeah Nintendo of America not allowing any religious symbolism in games at all lol

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Persona ended up being the west's first exposure, which was also completely botched in its localization, and then the PSP remake completely botched the audio.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Does anyone know what demon essence I can grab Mudobarion from?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Does anyone know what demon essence I can grab Mudobarion from?

Skadi

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Thanks

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Neeksy posted:

Persona ended up being the west's first exposure, which was also completely botched in its localization, and then the PSP remake completely botched the audio.

I don't know what you're talking about.

Persona 3 seems like where it blew up, at least for everyone I've ever talked to about it. I thought Persona was nifty when I borrowed it from a friend but got confused early on and never went back. Wouldn't have lasted more than a few hours with any of the pre-PS2 games

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Mailer posted:

I don't know what you're talking about.

Persona 3 seems like where it blew up, at least for everyone I've ever talked to about it. I thought Persona was nifty when I borrowed it from a friend but got confused early on and never went back. Wouldn't have lasted more than a few hours with any of the pre-PS2 games
It's a shame because I believe they're strong on the story, theme, character side of things, they're just dated by the gameplay and mechanics.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
God I love Evil Melody so much. It's just a delete button.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Shin Megami Tensei V. Other than the frame rate being below 20fps pretty much the entire time, the game was really loving great and I loved it. Would love to play this again if it gets ported to PC or PS4.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Been casually pecking at the second area boss and grinding away for probably a week at least. The skills and demons I angled myself toward just weren't quite right for that fight or a few of the abscesses, and it made me play a lot less as I gradually farmed levels, some other demons, and grabbed most of the mimans.

Anyway, took that jerk down, will run around the third area soon-ish. Hard mode really is making a fair bit of normal fights a struggle teetering on annoying for me.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Hey whoever designed the Black Rider fight can go gently caress themselves, that is all

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Neeksy posted:

Persona ended up being the west's first exposure

Not true, actually. That honor belongs to Jack Bros released on the Virtual Boy in 95, starring the Jacks Frost, O'Lantern, and Ripper. I am obligated to show the NA cover art depicting our heroes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think the OVA came before that

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Jack Frost being somewhere between snowman and tinman is both kinda cool yet incredibly weird looking. Jack The Ripper/Skelton is just happy to be there, poor forgotten Jack bro.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I can only presume that Jack the Ripper has the proper Jack voice set and makes some real unsettling commentary about shanking skank-hee hos.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Gaius Marius posted:

I think the OVA came before that

Was the OVA officially translated??

I feel like you might be thinking of Fire Emblem.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

HGH posted:

Jack Frost being somewhere between snowman and tinman is both kinda cool yet incredibly weird looking. Jack The Ripper/Skelton is just happy to be there, poor forgotten Jack bro.

Maybe they think that, unlike Frost and Pyro Ripper, doesn't make a good cuties mascot? Which is of course silly because a tiny zombie with a knife is adorable.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

DemoneeHo posted:

Not true, actually. That honor belongs to Jack Bros released on the Virtual Boy in 95, starring the Jacks Frost, O'Lantern, and Ripper. I am obligated to show the NA cover art depicting our heroes.

DemoneeHo posted:

Virtual Boy

So nothing was released, yes?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
1,000 copies were airdropped across North America at random. A few were lost on tall rooftops further reducing the amount of people who even heard of this game, let alone the Virtual Boy.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Andrigaar posted:

1,000 copies were airdropped across North America at random. A few were lost on tall rooftops further reducing the amount of people who even heard of this game, let alone the Virtual Boy.

My favorite variant on this joke (stolen from Jeremy Parish) is definitely "8 copies were made and 6 were misdelivered to a Yardage Town in Bismarck"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Gaea Rage is a "you failed a condition, gently caress you" attack, he only uses it if you don't kill a demon every 6 Demi-Fiend actions (so every 3 turns unless you make him lose turns to Null/Repel). The idea for non-cheese is to build 2-3 demons focusing on each element so you can keep murdering an specific demon, with focus on Pixie and Parvati to prevent heals; and Nahobino just Murakumos Demi-Fiend til he dies. And give everyone Abyssal Mask/Enduring Soul because he has an AOE instakill because gently caress you.

There's also minor cheese in that while Demi-Fiend will spam almighty if everyone is inmune to physical, any new demon that tags in will get hit by a ST Phys attack, so give everyone Repel Phys, keep switching demons and watch as he loses his turns. I think.
The swap in trick doesn't seem to be very reliable; he does seem to focus down on any new demon that isn't Null/Drain/Repel Phys but otherwise it's a roll of the dice whether he takes the bait or not.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

LiefKatano posted:

Was the OVA officially translated??

I feel like you might be thinking of Fire Emblem.

Naw I was thinking about the other OVA Tokyo Mokushiroku, that did get an english release, but not until later. For some reason I thought I'd heard a buddy of mine having seen the OG OVA back in the Ninties, which knowing him he probably did, it was probably just unsubbed

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
this castle in the third area sure is fun and cool

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Erst wägen, dann wagen

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Gaea Rage is a "you failed a condition, gently caress you" attack, he only uses it if you don't kill a demon every 6 Demi-Fiend actions (so every 3 turns unless you make him lose turns to Null/Repel). The idea for non-cheese is to build 2-3 demons focusing on each element so you can keep murdering an specific demon, with focus on Pixie and Parvati to prevent heals; and Nahobino just Murakumos Demi-Fiend til he dies. And give everyone Abyssal Mask/Enduring Soul because he has an AOE instakill because gently caress you.

There's also minor cheese in that while Demi-Fiend will spam almighty if everyone is inmune to physical, any new demon that tags in will get hit by a ST Phys attack, so give everyone Repel Phys, keep switching demons and watch as he loses his turns. I think.

Assuming you don't just cheese it, pretty sure if you have a demon with fire/elec/dark attacks you can hit the weak spots of all but 2 of the demons he summons: Chimera requires Ice and Thor requires Force. That way there will always be at least one demon they can tag a weak spot on in order to keep up maximum turns and two demons hitting weak spots should be able to take them out in the 3 turns required. Have one demon that does one buff and one debuff every turn so they have to spend two turns using dekunda and dekaja to clear them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Whatever happened to "Jack Skelton"

Edit: whoa

quote:

Jack Ripper is the only Jack Brother to not have a 3D Appereance in a main Shin Megami Tensei or Persona game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He was in IV and Final