Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The_Franz posted:

i miss the styling of 90s unix workstations. those things cost a small fortune and they looked and felt like it

hell loving yeah

I just got a Silicon Graphics Indigo R4K Élan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sniep posted:

you knew you were fuckin with some high end poo poo as the mice got harder and harder to effectively use

the most cursed was the early sun optical mice with the special reflective mousepad

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

eschaton posted:

hell loving yeah

I just got a Silicon Graphics Indigo R4K Élan

i have one of these with a dead mac / eprom, let me know if you get it working or the right set of overlays/procedures to get 5.3 or 6.5 up on it

i have a couple boxes of misc sgi cds from the late 90s / early 00s but I don’t think they’re going to work

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
HP HPUX workstation stuff from the late 80s/early 90s is my favorite aesthetic. It's amazing how a little styling goes a long way to hide the fact something's a metal box functioning as a faraday cage.

Regarding clear side panels. I believe I owned this bad boy in fall semester of 2003:

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 11, 2021

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
In it's natural habitat, circa 2005

Edit: drat, there's my visor cradle in the picture too.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 11, 2021

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

SYSV Fanfic posted:

In it's natural habitat, circa 2005

Edit: drat, there's my visor cradle in the picture too.

So did the pot hold ramen or mac and cheese?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Also what brand of tablet is on the left? Some sort of giant palm pilot?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

shoeberto posted:

the dry erase calendar board? an lcd like that would be like $2000 in 03

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

shoeberto posted:

Incredible hbag moment here

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Armitag3 posted:

Incredible hbag moment here

:thurman:

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Jonny 290 posted:

the dry erase calendar board? an lcd like that would be like $2000 in 03

Wild how much prices have come down, Amazon basically pays you to take kindle fires. Never heard of dry erase, wonder who gobbled them up.

Speaking of former giants of consumer electronics, the creative nomad!!!

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

shoeberto posted:

So did the pot hold ramen or mac and cheese?

Ramen. Definitely Ramen.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
the original white iBooks were just clear acrylic with paint on the inside, so you could soak the housing in paint thinner and get yourself a transparent laptop

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Call me when you can make it sicko mode transparent purple.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

PCjr sidecar posted:

i have one of these with a dead mac / eprom, let me know if you get it working or the right set of overlays/procedures to get 5.3 or 6.5 up on it

is it actually a dead MAC EEPROM or is it just a dead CPU board battery? the Indigo turns out to have a serial EEPROM for the MAC address (which doesn’t need battery backup) and a battery for the time-of-day clock; you should be able to just jumper the battery to any 3V source and boot, I plan to replace mine (since the Indigo R4K soldered in the battery) with a socket for a coin cell

quote:

i have a couple boxes of misc sgi cds from the late 90s / early 00s but I don’t think they’re going to work

god, IRIX is such a pain to install, there are a couple people who have Docker-based poo poo up on github that’ll do all the work of setting up an install server for you, including downloading the right CD images/tar files from the Internet Archive

if you have an Indigo R4K it should run up to 6.5.22, if it’s an R3K it’ll only run up to 5.3, either way I think the “here’s a Docker setup for installing Irix” is the way to go for ease of setup compared to using actual CDs or trying to DIY it

personally, I’ve gone the DIY route, using NetBSD as a host, but that’s a bit of intentional pain on my part, I enjoy knowing (or figuring out) exactly what’s happening at every step

and once you’ve got a base system installed, having stuff extracted to a modern server and available via NFS is great because inst will just work with it

if you have time, it’d be good to go through the CDs and share any that aren’t archived yet, just for completeness

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

the amstrad computer that had a sega inside it

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my stepdads beer posted:

the amstrad computer that had a sega inside it

i used to bar up on this one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstrad_Mega_PC

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lol same. I had a computer and a mega drive but I still needed this thing. unclear why

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
that reminds me as a kid I thought tuner cards were cool. you could watch TV on the same monitor as you did windows!

and my dad asked me “why would I want to turn my $3000 computer into a $300 TV?”

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

ah yes the kitchen counter, the computer's natural environment

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Hed posted:

that reminds me as a kid I thought tuner cards were cool. you could watch TV on the same monitor as you did windows!

and my dad asked me “why would I want to turn my $3000 computer into a $300 TV?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW3PFC86UNI

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
teletypes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryb7HFP_GgU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
some ham folks (not all 80 year old grognards, curiously enough) still use teletypes for RTTY on the air. super vibey

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Jonny 290 posted:

some ham folks (not all 80 year old grognards, curiously enough) still use teletypes for RTTY on the air. super vibey

Yeah, I was talking to some hams - they'd save punches for when the satellites would pass over and re-transmit them as favors.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The whole ATA / IDE thing which was not that long ago. Desktop computers were maxed out at a whopping two hard drives. And if you used a cd ROM or DVD drive on the same cable as the hard drive, the hard drive would run at 2,000 kbps or whatever the speed of the optical drive was

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Also the fact that when DVDs came out in 1996, a $20 DVD disc had four times the storage of a $300 hard drive at the time.

That would be like if there were blu ray discs today that held 30TB.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

The whole ATA / IDE thing which was not that long ago. Desktop computers were maxed out at a whopping two hard drives. And if you used a cd ROM or DVD drive on the same cable as the hard drive, the hard drive would run at 2,000 kbps or whatever the speed of the optical drive was

motherboards, even in the mid-90s, had 2 ide ports, so that wasn't much of an issue. generally you put the hard drives on one and the optical drive(s) on the other. you wanted a scsi card with your optical drive + burner on it so you could copy playstation games with a high degree of success without having to first rip it to the hard drive

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
or if you ripped it to your hard drive, you'd burn it again at 1x speed and shut off all programs just to make sure it worked, otherwise you would be out multiple dollars for a single cd/dvd

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

groupon

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the groupon ep of always sunny is one of the best

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

The_Franz posted:

motherboards, even in the mid-90s, had 2 ide ports, so that wasn't much of an issue. generally you put the hard drives on one and the optical drive(s) on the other. you wanted a scsi card with your optical drive + burner on it so you could copy playstation games with a high degree of success without having to first rip it to the hard drive

so that was my problem. I had a usb CD burner and a think pad laptop and I could only burn games that lacked cd audio. had to be a bandwidth thing! I was 15 so I must forgive myself for the lack of knowledge

cdrwin running at 1x speed to copy games and it failing 80% of the time was a good hobby

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I remember cdrwin as literally the first cd burner which was at a time when I was the only kid in my entire huge rear end school with a cd burner.

It's blowing my mind you had one at that time with USB. I could barely get burns to work on ide, I can't imagine how hosed up it must have been on USB 1.1.

Black CDs were $4 each at the time which was an hour of work for me as a stock boy which pissed me off so bad when it happened.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Also the fact that when DVDs came out in 1996, a $20 DVD disc had four times the storage of a $300 hard drive at the time.

That would be like if there were blu ray discs today that held 30TB.

ya you can find articles in a bunch of early 90s magazines about setting up servers to share a cd drive over the network, which sounds fantastically slow if multiple people are using it at once

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Being the first kid in the dorms with a CD burner and having T1 (T1!!!!!!!!) internet access for Napster.

I burned and sold so many CDR's at $10 a pop that year.

Then other people started getting cd burners and my market dried up :smith:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

I remember cdrwin as literally the first cd burner which was at a time when I was the only kid in my entire huge rear end school with a cd burner.

It's blowing my mind you had one at that time with USB. I could barely get burns to work on ide, I can't imagine how hosed up it must have been on USB 1.1.

Black CDs were $4 each at the time which was an hour of work for me as a stock boy which pissed me off so bad when it happened.

the computer teacher at my high school was 6’6 and about 400 lbs, and he would use the school’s t1 and irc to download isos and burn and sell them to students. when he transferred to another school to be the principle (!!) he taught me and my friends (his best customers) how to do it.

one of us had a real tower with a burner inside and I had a job and a car so I’d go to electronics boutique, buy a game, burn it, and return it. we made friends with the movie store peeps and they would re-shrink wrap the games when the policy on returns shifted.

that’s why I got my own burner so I didn’t have to rely on my friend. it did not work out so well. but you live and learn and then get a job computer touching

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

carry on then posted:

ya you can find articles in a bunch of early 90s magazines about setting up servers to share a cd drive over the network, which sounds fantastically slow if multiple people are using it at once

networkable CD-ROM jukeboxes still turn up on ebay from time to time and I'll often put a bid in because the older ones have multiple SCSI CD drives that you can sell to mac/amiga owners for a good profit

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

as a Mac kid it was pretty bogus going from daisy chainable scsi to slave/master + 2 mega slow usb1 ports

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sweevo posted:

networkable CD-ROM jukeboxes still turn up on ebay from time to time and I'll often put a bid in because the older ones have multiple SCSI CD drives that you can sell to mac/amiga owners for a good profit

i didnt gently caress with any network ones but i was the kid in 10th grade who successfully finally figured out how to get the pioneer external 6 cdrom changer working in the hs library. so many mscdex.exe's running lmao. but it worked!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i didnt gently caress with any network ones but i was the kid in 10th grade who successfully finally figured out how to get the pioneer external 6 cdrom changer working in the hs library. so many mscdex.exe's running lmao. but it worked!

when i was in university we saved one of those things from the dumpster. i think we got it working once, then i wound up selling it on ebay for $50. neat, but it was really slow at the time (4x or 6x when 32x or higher was the norm), and kind of pointless with hard drives getting into double-digit gigabytes for not much money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah this woulda been like 95-96 so it was hot poo poo then still. and yeah it was like 10 seconds to change disks