Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

i was -1 thru 7 and finished with a 105 once if that makes you feel better

edit because page snipe: in gear chat: I have added a brand new sim max driver, used m2 3 wood, and used g425 hybrid to my bag, and if santa listened to my prayers I'll have some new irons by christmas

now for the foot of snow to melt and the course to open in may..............................

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
My TSI3 got delivered and this club is incredibly broken. I went from a regular shaft to extra stiff and it feels like I can basically hurl my entire body around it like I'm swinging a baseball bat and it just sails off down the fairway every time.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I had this weird epiphany moment today. In my garage / mancave, I had a 50 inch flatscreen on the wall with NFL on all day. On the other side I was playing simulator golf while watching NFL and drinking some beers throughout the day. I suddenly thought to myself...Man, I've made it in life haven't I?

What I'm trying to get at is...having easy golf access in your house, whether it be by simulator or otherwise, is a really awesome experience and I highly recommend every golfer try to get some kind of setup. Even if you just get something like a TruGolf Mini (which is really cool by the way!), being able to play some virtual holes, or work on your game at the house at any time of year, is something that can't be overstated enough.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I wanted to get a pair of brown golf shoes to get into the rotation with the black, white, and gray pairs so I went with the cork option naturally.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

:eyepop: Air max 90s are probably my all time favorite shoe too.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

I wanted to get a pair of brown golf shoes to get into the rotation with the black, white, and gray pairs so I went with the cork option naturally.

I'm stabbing the "Report - Someone has different taste than me" button.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Kirios posted:

I had this weird epiphany moment today. In my garage / mancave, I had a 50 inch flatscreen on the wall with NFL on all day. On the other side I was playing simulator golf while watching NFL and drinking some beers throughout the day. I suddenly thought to myself...Man, I've made it in life haven't I?

What I'm trying to get at is...having easy golf access in your house, whether it be by simulator or otherwise, is a really awesome experience and I highly recommend every golfer try to get some kind of setup. Even if you just get something like a TruGolf Mini (which is really cool by the way!), being able to play some virtual holes, or work on your game at the house at any time of year, is something that can't be overstated enough.

What do you use for a driving mat?

I'm piecing out a home sim setup on a budget. I've got a Garmin R10, and an iPad on a big gooseneck stand with some netting coming from AliExpress so far. my biggest trouble so far has been finding a good driving/chipping mat. Most of the poo poo from Amazon/AliExpress is super thin without any sort of leeway to take a divot for a proper iron or chip shot. I have found some higher end mats that have taller turf that allow this, but they're also about the same cost as everything else in the setup put together.

I have enough room to make this work in my garage, but I don't want to be striking my clubs off of concrete just to hit a 7 iron.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Man I am jealous of you all who have space for a sim setup.

Also those shoes RULE.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I cannot recommend Fiberbuilt enough. It's the only mat I've used that doesn't give me a sore elbow on top of concrete. I use the Flight Deck velcroed to the garage floor and haven't had an issue at all. I've played 72 holes in one day on E6 with the deck and felt fine afterwards. You can get full sized mats but I found the 50 dollar deck worked great.

I didn't love the tees they came with so I use a standard plastic tee on my normal mat for drives and the Flight Deck for everything else. The R10 picks it all up no problem.

https://fiberbuiltgolf.com/collections/flight-decks/products/flight-deck

It's cheaper on Amazon and that's where I got it

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Is the trugolf mini accurate at all? I'm toying with the idea of something small like that (I don't have the ceilings for any sort of actual club). I realize it's not gonna be Trackman quality, but I don't want it to be so bad that it messes with my actual swing

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah I've used a demo unit and the yardage was relatively accurate. Swing path looked right in E6 and it did show my usual draw flight path. The driver was kind of finnicky and I never was able to tune it properly but I think anything beyond your woods it's a good option at 300 bucks. There's some pretty impressive tech they've got going on for a "simple" sensor unit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX1ZCnSFutE

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
In the US is ebay my best bet for finding a used putter? I went and tried out a few today and really like the nicer mallets like the 2ball or spider but since I'm a total beginner I don't want to spend $300-400 on anything.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ChiTownEddie posted:

In the US is ebay my best bet for finding a used putter? I went and tried out a few today and really like the nicer mallets like the 2ball or spider but since I'm a total beginner I don't want to spend $300-400 on anything.

There's a bunch of used golf clubs websites I'd check before eBay

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/pre-owned-golf-clubs/

https://www.3balls.com/

https://www.2ndswing.com/

Just to name a few. Higher likelihood of getting a fake on eBay then from a reputable dealer.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
That is perfect! Thank you! I wasn't sure what is considered a good dealer yet heh.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Callaway Preowned is another major one: https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/putters/

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

That is perfect! Thank you! I wasn't sure what is considered a good dealer yet heh.

I wouldn't use ebay for putters, there are far too many fakes out there.

The GolfWRX forums used to be a great place to pick up used and "used" clubs for super cheap because it's populated by golf fiends with too much money and time on their hands.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Thanks a lot y'all. Slowly updating bits of my cheap 18yo set. Putter is an easy one to practice with over the winter hah.

Also 2 weeks out from my first (indoor) lesson!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I often sell higher-end clubs and putters for a buddy on eBay. He collects them, plays them for a few rounds, then is done with them. He gets them off collector groups on FB (Bettinardi groups, usually), but he also buys them from big box stores, so they're all legit (AFAIK). I have these (and a few iron sets) going right now.

King (Cobra) Stingray 40
ENVROLL ER2

I also have a TM Ghost Spider with a Masters-themed headcover, but I haven't gotten around to taking pics of it yet.

If you're interested in any of those, don't be afraid to DM an offer; worst he'll say is no. He's an optometrist, and his wife's a pediatrician. This is play money for him, so he resells at huge losses lol.

I will heartily endorse 2ndswing.com. I've gotten a few clubs that were rated 8/10, but they came to me new in plastic.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
When I sell my "old" clubs on ebay I always include scans of the order forms and receipts and always get happy buyers.....so what I am saying is ebay isn't 100% scammers with fakes more like only 70%.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

When I get my new set in(fitting is monday wooooo) I was considering holding onto my Vapor Fly Pro irons just to have an extra set around, but then I looked on ebay and it appears these sets are still going for stupid prices, like anywhere from $6-900. I think I paid less than $1000 for them almost 5 years ago, so yeah I'll probably ebay them to help offset the cost of the new set.

The 2 iron alone goes for $4-500!

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

It’s in the 70s today. I know what I must do.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

mattfl posted:

When I get my new set in(fitting is monday wooooo) I was considering holding onto my Vapor Fly Pro irons just to have an extra set around, but then I looked on ebay and it appears these sets are still going for stupid prices, like anywhere from $6-900. I think I paid less than $1000 for them almost 5 years ago, so yeah I'll probably ebay them to help offset the cost of the new set.

The 2 iron alone goes for $4-500!

My new irons are fairly strong lofted so I'm gonna keep my old PW (one of the only clubs in my old set that i still like) in the bag as a gap wedge until i can afford some cbx2s lol. My old clubs might sell for $100 if I'm lucky though so yea probably best for you to sell...

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tiger's swing looks pretty good out there.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Shrapnig posted:

Tiger's swing looks pretty good out there.
Charlie's not too shabby either.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I played the best golf of my life today in 35 degree weather with 20+ mph wind.

I shot an 85 with my previous best score being a 96 lol

Makes sense

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

RCarr posted:

I played the best golf of my life today in 35 degree weather with 20+ mph wind.

I shot an 85 with my previous best score being a 96 lol

Makes sense

That kind of weather makes you play within your skill set. My best rounds are frequently in brutal conditions.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

gently caress, man. Part of me wanted Tiger's game to be so washed that I could just settle for watching him in a couple hit and giggles every year and be happy that he's still able to walk and breath. Then he comes out and his irons looked good, putting was solid, ripped a few hard cuts off the tee...so now I'm starting to wonder what'll it take to get enough strength back in his leg to walk 72 on a hilly course and that's just a recipe for disappointment :(

At least all the coverage of Charlie seemed earned and warranted this year. Kid's really good.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I hope they do the PNC Championship live on NBC every year going forward. It's a really wholesome event to watch on TV and kind of the perfect thing during the Christmas season.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anno posted:

gently caress, man. Part of me wanted Tiger's game to be so washed that I could just settle for watching him in a couple hit and giggles every year and be happy that he's still able to walk and breath. Then he comes out and his irons looked good, putting was solid, ripped a few hard cuts off the tee...so now I'm starting to wonder what'll it take to get enough strength back in his leg to walk 72 on a hilly course and that's just a recipe for disappointment :(

At least all the coverage of Charlie seemed earned and warranted this year. Kid's really good.

gently caress it let him use a cart. Dude has earned every and anything on the PGA tour he wants.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Anno posted:

Then he comes out and his irons looked good, putting was solid, ripped a few hard cuts off the tee...
There was one tee shot where he blasted it, and then kinda went ouchie and grabbed his leg, like he remembered, oh yeah, I shouldn't do that now.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

In addition to the TaylorMade irons I got for my birthday in November, my wife got me a new stand bag (glad I held off on purchasing anything after I asked here) and six one-hour lessons with a pro at Orange County National. Should be interesting, as I've never had a lesson in my life and pretty sure this guy is gonna be like "Holy poo poo, this kid is awful"

Since I work west coast time but live in Florida, I'm kind of thinking about doing the walking nine-hole course in the morning once a week or so. For solo golfers, how do you track your ball? I tend to either a) lose sight of the ball, or b) look up too early and miss the drat ball in the first place.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Not meaning any offense, but if you can’t track your ball you might need glasses.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

gently caress it let him use a cart. Dude has earned every and anything on the PGA tour he wants.

He said this week that if he can't play while walking he won't play.

Obviously that's for official Tour events.

It's pretty remarkable that he felt good enough after 10 months to get out and let his swing be analyzed by the entire world. A routine ACL injury would have put him at probably 6-9 months before he was taking full swings let alone a catastrophic car crash.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

RCarr posted:

Not meaning any offense, but if you can’t track your ball you might need glasses.

I just golf with friends, idk if it's just me there's like a 50% chance I look away from where I thought it went for a split second and then I lose all reference for where it could be.

Another helpful tip is to walk instead of ride a cart, since you don't have to take a side track, can just point in the direction of your ball and walk til you find it or hit water.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

RCarr posted:

This.

It is also somewhat learned behavior. I can follow a ball, and find it, pretty much all the time. I know folks who instantly lose track. You need to make it a habit to 100% watch other players balls. It's good etiquette and good practice.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

This.

It is also somewhat learned behavior. I can follow a ball, and find it, pretty much all the time. I know folks who instantly lose track. You need to make it a habit to 100% watch other players balls. It's good etiquette and good practice.

I’m pretty good at following my ball/having a general idea where it is/gonna be but nothing pisses me off more than playing partners who don’t do this. I do it 100% of time and if you ask me where your ball went I know where it is. The odd time I ask you and you just give me a blank stare, holy poo poo come on guys.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

RCarr posted:

My vision is fine, thanks, it's more the habit. I seem to look away for a second and then have to figure it out

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Well this is something I'm definitely going to have to demo to possibly replace my 9 year old Callaway driving/utility iron.

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi

Random image from Google.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Omne posted:

My vision is fine, thanks, it's more the habit. I seem to look away for a second and then have to figure it out

I mean , if you are telling us that all you need to do is not look away from your ball, then there’s your answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Club fitting done! Ended up in a brand I hadn’t even considered at all. Distance didn’t change much but dramatically improved my dispersion vs my current clubs. Phone posting but I’ll post the details in a bit, take some guesses as to what I ended up in.