Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I can't believe I'm enjoying Dexter in 2021AD. Feels unnatural.

Looking back on season 8, the most unforgivable thing about it was that it was so loving boring. The new season moves along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wait, do goons think Angela was looking for a serial killer before she went to that conference Angel spoke at?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Clancy Brown is a large man. That tunnel in the cave was barely big enough for the cop to fit through.

How was he supposed to have dragged a corpse - or multiple corpses - through that narrow space whose whole length was filled with debris?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Clancy Brown is a large man. That tunnel in the cave was barely big enough for the cop to fit through.

How was he supposed to have dragged a corpse - or multiple corpses - through that narrow space whose whole length was filled with debris?

different, unrelated serial killer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

God Hole posted:

The bartender lady!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

God Hole posted:

Oil guy

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

God Hole posted:

The transient women are actually all serial killers that have been killing each other.

Kurt is Harry Morgan's brother, who kills serial killer killing transient women using the code that he invented with his brother. It's all falling into place.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Wait, no. Everyone in the town, except for the police chief, is a murderer that faked their deaths and came to live in Iron Creek.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Or Clancy Brown knows about an easier, safer way into the mine. Probably a couple dozen meters from the side of the road too. Dude has an efficient body disposal operation going after all these years.

T.C. posted:

Wait, no. Everyone in the town, except for the police chief, is a murderer that faked their deaths and came to live in Iron Creek.

:aaaaa:

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

T.C. posted:

The transient women are actually all serial killers that have been killing each other.

Kurt is Harry Morgan's brother, who kills serial killer killing transient women using the code that he invented with his brother. It's all falling into place.

You say that, but I am fully expecting a last-minute twist where Kurt is the Trinity Killer's long-lost brother or something stupid to tie the two together. Trinity is Kurt's Dark Passenger, not Harrison's. I don't know, I trust Dexter to be a dumber show than I expect.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

R. Guyovich posted:

i enjoyed molly having to dance around the fact she knew she was about to die and dexter quite obviously saved her life in that car ride back to town

Meanwhile it was broad day when they were at the cabin, sun splitting the rocks and then it's well past dark after the apparent 6 hour drive back to town during which they were locked in awkward silence?

Kurt doesn't notice Jim's final-remaining-pre-2015 Ford tailing him to his secret hideout?? Sitting on the hill looking town at them like a vulture?? Can't blame them for doing this poo poo in the era of the comic book universe film I guess. Aside from those sorts of obvious gotchas it's pretty good though I have to say. Tension at the end of the wrestling match was great.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The bartender lady!

The only other person with speaking lines!

Quick, we need Dexter to sit next to someone at the wrestling match. poo poo who else is there who isn't a cop or a serial killer?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Meanwhile it was broad day when they were at the cabin, sun splitting the rocks and then it's well past dark after the apparent 6 hour drive back to town during which they were locked in awkward silence?

That's just daylight savings time in NY. It gets dark at 5PM here in what seems like 10 minutes.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

So Dexter is back (for New Blood): "It's never good to kill the family member of a serial killer"

Pretty good episode honestly. Some good internal lines from Dexter/Deb.

Parapharsing, but Dexter saying to Harrison "if he cares about you why did he tell you to hurt that kid?" was good. Dexter is working through his own childhood via Harrison. The similarities are on the nose, but it works.

Kinda contrived that the only body Angela happened to find was Iris, but w/e.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's what I was thinking. But Iris disappeared when they were kids, so it was a long time ago. Kurt was much thinner back then probably.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

You'd think the other kids Dexter abandoned would also come out in therapy.

What kids? :confused:

Edit: Also Clancy Brown channeling that rage can look pretty terrifying. Good actor's good.

itry fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 13, 2021

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I think it's pretty clear that Iris was probably his first kill. He was younger and slimmer and didn't have his embalming ritual down yet, or probably his trap room.

I don't think any other bodies are going to be in that cave. He takes too much care in the embalming to shove them in a cave beneath a cairn. He wants them where he can visit them.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Devorum posted:

I don't think any other bodies are going to be in that cave. He takes too much care in the embalming to shove them in a cave beneath a cairn. He wants them where he can visit them.

A full on House of Wax would be pretty hosed up.

Edit: Also that dinner sure was something. A giant steak alongside an entire loaf of bread with a tiny side of baby carrots.

itry fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 13, 2021

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Devorum posted:

I think it's pretty clear that Iris was probably his first kill. He was younger and slimmer and didn't have his embalming ritual down yet, or probably his trap room.

Yeah the fact that he's so upset about damaging the last girl's face implies that he's keeping their bodies somewhere. Iris being the first kill and only one in the cave makes a lot of sense.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is he also the town coroner, or does he just happen to have all this embalming poo poo?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Probably fell off a truck.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Is he also the town coroner, or does he just happen to have all this embalming poo poo?

He inherited it all when his distant cousin Ruth's funeral home in California closed.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

itry posted:

A full on House of Wax would be pretty hosed up.

Edit: Also that dinner sure was something. A giant steak alongside an entire loaf of bread with a tiny side of baby carrots.

Those were massive potatoes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I figured it out: the serial killer is actually Kurt's twin brother. This theory is flawless and has no holes at all. I will not be taking questions at this time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Anyone notice how this Dexter character keeps talking about how he is a serial killer, even though he's only killed like two people on the show so far? I feel like he's putting the cart before the horse.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Khanstant posted:

the preview seemed to indicate angela knows dexter a murderer, wonder if she knows about his whole thing or if he just has to admit one murder or two.
May I politely ask that you spoiler anything you get from the previews? Some folks (like me) don't watch them.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The bartender lady!
Yeah, there's something going on with her for certain. My only guess now, though, is she got Iris killed.

As they went into the caves I thought to myself "oh my GOD if they just happen to find Dexter's death hole and it just so happens that's where Kurt also puts his dead bodies I'm going to laugh my rear end off at the absurdity" but then she found Iris and I'm just like "wait, huh? what? why?" so good on this show for being way less predictable, a bit less coincidental, and keeping things moving along. I am enjoying this season and will be sad if it's the only new one we ever see again!

Edit: I was doing something and then suddenly it hit me...
Why the gently caress is Dexter answering his cell phone, "It's Jim." Is anyone else going to answer a cell phone other than the owner?! They literally had him say that just so she could say the line "I don't need Jim, I need Dexter." That cracks me up.

...also just want to mention that the news article probably said he was in forensics, not that he was a blood spatter guy.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 13, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

itry posted:

Edit: Also Clancy Brown channeling that rage can look pretty terrifying. Good actor's good.

I cant believe he didn't go full damage control in the cabin, I mean podcast girl is an afterthought, you'd almost think he'd try to take down the smaller Dexter real fast and then her too, or some combination of them both. That he kept his composure especially with how much Dexter provoked him was no small feat. I didn't really buy him Kyleing the wall though.

Is there anywhere I can watch the previews? They dont air on the Crave stream, which sucks

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

T.C. posted:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The fact that a weird fetish sex comic turned into one of the best comics on the internet is a source of endless amusement to me.

Much like Oglaf itself.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I'm up to episode 5 now. Gonna put on 6 in a minute, which should indicate that yeah I am actually enjoying this nonsense.

The writing makes me shake my head every 10 minutes, but they've actually managed to put together a swirl of events where no part of it is boring. The closest to boring is some of the teen scenes, but Harrison tends to do something interesting in those so I still pay attention.

Kurt/Clancy Brown is aping Trinity for the show in several ways with him being a huge, grey man with a very particular killing pattern who is intermittently giddy enough to dance. The thing is, he's probably among the least compelling parts of the show right now and that's not because he isn't entertaining, it's because the show isn't wasting time on tangential subplots.

I even felt bad for a minute that, yeah, Dexter's life here in Iron Lake is about to implode. But everyone likes him and I actually believe they like him. There is a way to make their realisation of his true identity actually sad, but I doubt they'll pull that off. It'll be more hostile.

Dexter is also unlikable here in a way that the original show never pulled off, because the world he inhabited was so utterly thin that you always sided with him. This time, Dexter's conflict about wanting a decent life vs being a killer is coming off to me more like jesus christ Dexter, leave these people out of it. Do your thing without involving the entire town. Deb's voice in his head is working well here since she's basically saying this - you're a monster, get away from this boy etc.

Of course that all depends on what is actually going on with Harrison. They've kept that nice and mysterious.

Really curious as to where they are going with this. Okay episode 6 now.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

itry posted:

It was a baked potato and there were plenty of carrots, they only looked small next to the massive T-bone. It actually got me wondering how the hell Dexter's able to eat as good as that on the salary of a gun store clerk, but I figured living's cheap up there plus you can shoot your own meat and chop your own fuel for heat.

Also put me down as loving this season so far. It's fun and stupid and I can't wait until something else contrived happens. "I need Dexter Morgan!" like lady he's not fuckin Batman, you just yesterday found out he knew anything at all about policework.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Good Harrison. It is known.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.
One thing I appreciate, though it's a bit of a nitpick, is that the true crime podcast is, from the few expository clips we've heard, awful. Just a woman talking about serial killers, barely any production values, the script for these podcast episodes isn't engaging or interesting. I was expecting her character to be the true crime equivalent of an ambulance chaser, just a small-time <500-subscriber series roaming from town to town, attaching herself to the most sordid crime scenes she can find in the hopes of an exclusive episode. But no, the series really thinks this is good enough to be the biggest true crime podcast in North America. Dexter is back, and as baffling as ever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They don't show us much of her podcast and what we do hear is sparse enough to can assume the rest of the hour or whatever would be better than the intro or bits they give us with just exactly the exposition they want to express. Also having heard both good and bad true crime podcasts, the gap between them is negligible.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sierra Madre posted:

One thing I appreciate, though it's a bit of a nitpick, is that the true crime podcast is, from the few expository clips we've heard, awful. Just a woman talking about serial killers, barely any production values, the script for these podcast episodes isn't engaging or interesting. I was expecting her character to be the true crime equivalent of an ambulance chaser, just a small-time <500-subscriber series roaming from town to town, attaching herself to the most sordid crime scenes she can find in the hopes of an exclusive episode. But no, the series really thinks this is good enough to be the biggest true crime podcast in North America. Dexter is back, and as baffling as ever.

Have you listened to any like My Favourite Murder? Production values aren't a requirement for success.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

The vapid 'hi FUCKERS i've got a nice little murder for you this week' tone of Molly's cast isn't something I've heard before, but I'm sure it exists. It just wouldn't be the most popular one. The most popular ones have seemed nerdier and more interested in appearing professional.

They're taking the style of other podcast genres and just doing that as a true crime thing. It's basically a spoof. I'm not really sure if it's supposed to be a spoof. Maybe the writers just think this is what all podcasts sound like regardless of subject matter.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I know what you mean, but TC podcasts are also, like many others, about an hour each.
It's always going to need a weird non-real edit if you're watching a 2minute scene on TV.
I just took it to be an introduction to the episodes in my head cannon.

I've actually liked all this season so far.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

the problem really is in these shows where they have media characters, they always have to make them the BIGGEST one at what they do. if they'd just said molly had a pretty popular podcast it would be no problem. merry loving kill, sure. why not.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You ever work with any kind of business or event dealing with any pedigree of "celeb?" Whether it's a z-level hollywood figure or a local jackass known as the flat-earth anti-semite, they get a kind of deference and overblown treatment almost as if bloating their importance reflects it back onto the business or event.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The podcast is pastiche, not spoof, but oyherwise i agree with the people who are fine with it. Most things on the show are a bit unreal. The show's never been some sort of exacting realism simulator. It's pulp.

Tbh, my only problem with the podcast is the title. I get what they're going for, but it feels weirdly Christmas-y. It's far closer to being a pun on "Merry loving Christmas" than it is "Marry gently caress Kill", and her website IIRC has all this snow on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Phenotype posted:

It was a baked potato and there were plenty of carrots, they only looked small next to the massive T-bone. It actually got me wondering how the hell Dexter's able to eat as good as that on the salary of a gun store clerk, but I figured living's cheap up there plus you can shoot your own meat and chop your own fuel for heat.

Also put me down as loving this season so far. It's fun and stupid and I can't wait until something else contrived happens. "I need Dexter Morgan!" like lady he's not fuckin Batman, you just yesterday found out he knew anything at all about policework.

Guess it could've been a giant potato. Maybe he had some good investments since Miami? :shrug:

Dexter is just going to casually say to Angela - "oh, you found Iris? Kurt probably killed her. Yeah, he's a serial killer. What, you didn't know? He has a kill cabin and everything." Not bad for 5 minutes of work.

roomtone posted:

I even felt bad for a minute that, yeah, Dexter's life here in Iron Lake is about to implode. But everyone likes him and I actually believe they like him. There is a way to make their realisation of his true identity actually sad, but I doubt they'll pull that off. It'll be more hostile.

Dexter is also unlikable here in a way that the original show never pulled off, because the world he inhabited was so utterly thin that you always sided with him. This time, Dexter's conflict about wanting a decent life vs being a killer is coming off to me more like jesus christ Dexter, leave these people out of it. Do your thing without involving the entire town. Deb's voice in his head is working well here since she's basically saying this - you're a monster, get away from this boy etc.

He's both unlikeable and he's the most believably human he's ever been on the show. They managed to make it seem like he's actually somehow part of the town with a handful of characters; the coach, the sherrif, his boss, the bartender. Heck, even the butcher with his special knife delivery. And then he goes and saves the podcaster for no apparent reason? I actually want to see what happens next.

Sierra Madre posted:

One thing I appreciate, though it's a bit of a nitpick, is that the true crime podcast is, from the few expository clips we've heard, awful. .... But no, the series really thinks this is good enough to be the biggest true crime podcast in North America.

Maybe it's a "subtle" dig at the "true crime" entertainment scene. It's awful, because of course it is. How could it not be, with that dumb name?