Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Brock Samson posted:

I'm not stepping foot in the Succession thread but holy poo poo what a season.

I’m just now starting it and JUST finished episode one. Kinda funny a goon said if you feel any kindred spirit with any of the characters that it’s a tell. The only guy I feel any link towards is that poor kid they offered a mill for a home run and then laughed as he got tagged at home plate. When they pushed the NDA on his parents after it made me so mad. Well done show but please tell me they die horribly. I might have to spread this show out or I’m going to start Bolshevik meetings at the local Tim Hortons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

Did someone finally succeed?

Very real spoiler: nope, they all got pretty categorically hosed out of doing so

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

DogsInSpace! posted:

I’m just now starting it and JUST finished episode one. Kinda funny a goon said if you feel any kindred spirit with any of the characters that it’s a tell. The only guy I feel any link towards is that poor kid they offered a mill for a home run and then laughed as he got tagged at home plate. When they pushed the NDA on his parents after it made me so mad. Well done show but please tell me they die horribly. I might have to spread this show out or I’m going to start Bolshevik meetings at the local Tim Hortons.

That kid was exactly who I thought about as an exception. They're all giant monsters and the fun of the show is watching them fail and slit each other's necks.

They deserve nothing but pain and suffering.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The thing that gets me about post apocalyptic fiction is how NO ONE USES BICYCLES, like ever.

Bicycles are up to 5 times more efficient than walking and you don't have to feed them or worry about them running away, getting sick, or having some place to keep them.

Yeah, they are machines that need parts that may not be able to be fabricated in that world anymore and there are consumables like tires, but there are an estimated 1 billion bicycles out there with tons of spare parts. A single speed bike would be relatively simple to maintain.

Worse case if your bike breaks and you can't repair it, oh no, you are back to walking again until you can find another bike like basically everywhere.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O hey it’s Max Brooks’ alt.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rick briefly used a bicycle in the first Walking Dead episode. He looked so silly on it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Escobarbarian posted:

I love when a horror thing uses a super common horror trope and acts like it’s never existed in their universe before

For some monsters it's the only thing that makes sense. For example zombie stories pretty much rely on nobody knowing how to kill one before it's too late.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Xiahou Dun posted:

O hey it’s Max Brooks’ alt.

I wish they did that book justice.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Matt Zerella posted:

It doesn’t really jive as a narrative, but I’d be down for a faux documentary that kept the good parts but took an axe to the bad stuff like anything to do with anything in Asia.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Squidbillies ended the series with ... hope for the future.

Granny died. Tammy had already said she was moving with Randy to Elberton. Rusty almost stayed in Dougal County but manned up and stole Early's truck. Granny and Early's father reunited in the afterlife and fell back in love while beating Early with a frying pan.

There's some kind of symbolism with making Elberton the great hope of the future. Having actually been to Elberton, I don't know what that is. It's Squidbillies, so yeah.

The last season was pretty strong. Tracy Morgan settled in to being Early and the writing was the best it's been in years.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
seems right- I almost died diving and swimming in one of the quarries in Elberton back in the day

I'll miss the show a lot and yeah Tracy Morgan did really well

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

That kid was exactly who I thought about as an exception. They're all giant monsters and the fun of the show is watching them fail and slit each other's necks.

They deserve nothing but pain and suffering.

Just started episode 4 and I’m fairly sure the Tom character might be an actual serial killer. Well done show overall but the icing on the cake is how the Kendall actor has no idea his character is NOT awesome. It’s like they found the perfect actor for the character. I liked Kieran Culkin before but Jesus I hate him here. Just everyone is awful and awaiting their doom eagerly. Please let them suffer.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

I’m finding it increasingly weird that all zombie fiction (that I’ve seen, anyway) takes place in worlds where zombie fiction doesn’t exist. Just once I want someone to say “wait, zombies are real?!” and not have to make up a new word for zombies.

Z Nation.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Mu Zeta posted:

Rick briefly used a bicycle in the first Walking Dead episode. He looked so silly on it.

Riding a bike without shoes is just weird. I bet it's not hard to find a fitting pair either.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

I love when a horror thing uses a super common horror trope and acts like it’s never existed in their universe before

They actually talk about how blood diseases were most likely the cause of "the legends", so vampire stories clearly exists in-universe. They just never say the word.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

lmao this gives me Homer running away from hospital vibes.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Riding a bike without shoes is just weird. I bet it's not hard to find a fitting pair either.
I've got a wonderful big toe scar (and a story about my sister coming home to a bloodbath) that says it's more than weird, it's extremely dangerous!

Brock Samson posted:

I'm not stepping foot in the Succession thread but holy poo poo what a season.
Trust me when I tell you that you missed something glorious but it is otherwise just a cozy nest of positivity.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

Someone has to be furiously working on a Devolution pitch. I mean, it has Bigfoot and it's an easy covid analogy!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

DogsInSpace! posted:

Just started episode 4 and I’m fairly sure the Tom character might be an actual serial killer. Well done show overall but the icing on the cake is how the Kendall actor has no idea his character is NOT awesome. It’s like they found the perfect actor for the character. I liked Kieran Culkin before but Jesus I hate him here. Just everyone is awful and awaiting their doom eagerly. Please let them suffer.

Jeremy Strong is a crazy person and I'm pretty sure he knows Kendall is a giant cringe fails moron. I was so happy McKay brought him over from The Big Short.

Actors that make me hate them and their character are my favorite. Like Aida Turturro as Janice on the Sopranos.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

DaveKap posted:

Trust me when I tell you that you missed something glorious but it is otherwise just a cozy nest of positivity.

Link please.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

splifyphus posted:

wow, it's a bunch of illiterate zombies. it's a miracle you guys managed to find the post button, or maybe it's just bots? i should have realized i was posting in tviv i guess.

here, let me try to educate you drooling fuckshits.

culture is produced by people whose themselves produced by a culture. the people who produce tv can only use the resources at hand to make their shows. the resources at hand are always around going to be cultural constructs which are also produced by the society that produced the people , so, wait for it:

all art is has a concrete relation to the society that produced it.

this relation can be excavated and productively examined by something that clearly none of you know how to do yet: thinking about the media you consume.

i know i know. why would anybody want to think about television? we watch television as a way to drool into the void without the social stigma of a heroin addiction! tv is for not-thinking! tv fun. fun. happy! fun!

cuz if you drones thought about poo poo for two seconds, you'd realize that narratives are all 'real', shows are 'real', fiction is 'real', and art is 'real'. the question isn't about the ontological status of fiction - if it wasn't 'real' then what the gently caress are you watching and how the gently caress are you watching it? the question is - how is concretely existing fiction related to empirical reality?

howmi doin so far? learned something yet? probably not, because to actually learn anything you'd have to leave the structural position of the pristine disembodied observer that your television spectating practice generates, and actually get your loving neurons dirty.

when you sit down to watch a television show, you are really doing something real! you are participating in a really existing social practice with others. the content you consume has a really existing relation to the really existing society that you're a part of. this society is a highly striated class society, and you're not at the top.

a show like succession is ideological programming. it's telling you this - sure, the people who own your life and are destroying the biosphere are irredeemably dysfunctional scumbags, but you, the objective neutral observer, are better than they are! what succession does is invite you to gawp and point and stare at the spectacle of our broken society from a position that's 'outside' of it, so you can pretend that you're somehow not a part of the charade.

except, there is no outside, and shows like succession are why you stupid fucks are gonna go right back to work on monday morning at the mass extinction event factory, smugly savoring the afterglow of 'at least I'm a better person than those rich pricks'.

but you're not. the actual rich pricks this show is based have way, way too many fun toys to spend their time watching garbage television entertainment for worker drones. they're not better people than you, but they are smarter than you, if only because they know that all the media you consume becomes a part of you, and hatewatching lovely people doing lovely things is something that only lovely people do.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

They did that on a timeloop episode of Legends of Tomorrow. Zari is the only character who realizes it is a loop so Nate tells her that next time it resets just tell him "Groundhog Day" and he'll be up to speed.

Well in Midnight Mass to actually become a vampire you have to die first so once it starts ramping up people are well aware that there's something monster-y going on. Although most of the actual vampire stuff happens over the course of one night so people don't have a ton of time to try out different things to find their weaknesses.

I wound up reading the wiki synopsis for the show and really enjoyed it. I don't think Ii would've liked watching it, my roommates did and every snippet I saw looked like a drawn-out sadmo bummer. Couldn't find a decent 15 minute overall recap so the synopsis had to do and it did. I'm also glad it doesn't seem like they're making more, had one complete story to tell and did it -- cool, good!

Kazzah posted:

It stands to reason that whatever monsters exist in the real world have never occurred in any fictional media ever

I like this idea, both because can't know what you don't know about, but also because if I did know about it, I would never ever believe it's magic. There's nothing I could see or experience to convince me magic existed, and I would question my own perception and senses before going "oh maybe magical creatures are real and we just gotta throw out chemistry/physics to get with the program now." That said, if zombies or vamps or mummies or whatever showed up tomorrow to be real, while I'd deny any supernatural aspects, still gonna call em by their proper DnD names as we see them.

Speaking of zombies, still waiting for that post-covid zombie movie where a lot of people don't believe it's real and get turned trying to prove it's a hoax or whatever, or they know it's real and want to get it because it's their freedom to ignore the government trying to control everyone into not being zombies. If nothing else, I volunteer to become a zombie if zombies ever become real or I am invited to be in a movie about them. There's no reason to think that actually being a zombie isn't rad as hell, terrifying to humans, but I bet when you are a zombie it's all roses, no jobs, graze on food wherever you want, meet new people and groups, hang out in places you'd never go when human. I feel munching on a brain feels real nice for a zombie, and having an empty zombie brain might be a peace people spend lifetimes on earth trying to achieve. Plus, on the practical side of things, let's say humans win, zombies lose. Do you really want to be one of the humans left when it comes time to clean up billions of corpses everywhere, while trying to coexist with a bunch of traumatized survivors in a meagre post-apocalyptic landscape? gently caress that! On the other hand, if zombies win, what's the use in being on the losing team? Plus in the zombie civilization, zombs with earlier turn-dates get seniority in certain regards so get in early if you can.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

how high was this first year college student

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lmao

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

lol what does this guy do on monday mornings to be so smug about going to work?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Landscapers really is a very cool and abstract show. Exceptional performances from Thewlis and Colman and all the different stylistic flourishes are really effective. Plus only 4 episodes is nice

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Escobarbarian posted:

Landscapers really is a very cool and abstract show. Exceptional performances from Thewlis and Colman and all the different stylistic flourishes are really effective. Plus only 4 episodes is nice

Is it finished? I didn't realize it was that short, I was waiting to watch it

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

how high was this first year college student

What if the TV is watching us man? Like some AI tv making algorithm seeing if we are ready for the robot takeover? <takes a huuuuge rip from Mr Bong, James Bong> Yeah…

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aardvark! posted:

Is it finished? I didn't realize it was that short, I was waiting to watch it

4 episodes total, dropping week by week on HBO but all at once in other territories.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That posting style really doesn't mesh with the lack of a shift key! Makes the incoherent rants even harder to read than otherwise. 2/10

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've only watched a couple of episodes of SMASH so far and while the cartoons are certainly in the style of the originals one thing they're missing is animation errors. Although that might fall under the Dark Place problem where it would be more expensive to fake being bad than to just do it competently.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
3 episodes into Welcome To Earth with Will Smith, and I like it. It's pretty, Will is a fun host, and they cover some good material. My only complaint is that the cutaway segments from the main subject to interesting tangents are too short! They introduce cool poo poo then never go back to it.

Anyway if you like a nice chill nature doc, it's worth a watch.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Was there a Creamerie thread? Finally got hooked and just want to post somewhere like "omg pip you rule-follower nooo" and "oh my, terrified pls cum in the mug dance"

edit: and

oh geez, pip!

uh oh bounty huntress!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The season finale of Joe Pera was so good. It would be real funny if they come back and Gene is just stupid rich from his computer algorithm. Also I assume that a potential s4 would actually address the covid stuff seeing as they now have a plot of land/cabin out in the middle of nowhere to hunker down in.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Was there a Creamerie thread? Finally got hooked and just want to post somewhere like "omg pip you rule-follower nooo" and "oh my, terrified pls cum in the mug dance"

oh geez, pip!

uh oh bounty huntress!

There was not, though in retrospect I should have made one

Post your thoughts here though!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Well a moment ago it was "how did they escape the menses fest so easy?" then there was so :o and lol and now another bout of "oh my god, pip!!!" but here's some "augh loving rich people" and then "lol pip" anyway pip good show good how almost over

edit: Pippin! LotR macroaggression wow.

edit: acab "i was fallin for u all u had to do was suck the boot w me!"

wow this dinner party and peer pressure sucks.

oh gross jesus christ what the gently caress

hell yeah, pip!!

oh no no no no

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 14, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Well a moment ago it was "how did they escape the menses fest so easy?" then there was so :o and lol and now another bout of "oh my god, pip!!!" but here's some "augh loving rich people" and then "lol pip" anyway pip good show good how almost over

edit: Pippin! LotR macroaggression wow.

edit: acab "i was fallin for u all u had to do was suck the boot w me!"

wow this dinner party and peer pressure sucks.

oh gross jesus christ what the gently caress

hell yeah, pip!!

oh no no no no

:allears:

Also yes the actress playing Pip, Perlina Lau, is loving awesome.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Gonna save the last episode for tomorrow. On one hand, wish there were more, on the other, only 6 episodes means they really don't waste a moment, so things always move along and they steer directly into tension, no dickfooting around.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Creamerie was fuckin awesome. It got renewed, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Khanstant posted:

oh geez, pip!

uh oh bounty huntress!

We talked about it a lot in the What We Do in the Shadows thread, iirc.