Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

External Organs posted:

I'm not well versed but aren't statements like that hilariously illegal? All the anti unionization stuff I've heard of is more subtle / coded kind of language.

You think that anybody in a position of power to slap them for that statement is even remotely pro-union*, or even anything less than "extremely hostile to the idea of unions*"?

* Other than police unions, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Dick Burglar posted:

You think that anybody in a position of power to slap them for that statement is even remotely pro-union*, or even anything less than "extremely hostile to the idea of unions*"?

* Other than police unions, lol
um i think you'll find that president joseph robinette biden ii, progressive champion of the galaxy, supports unions and has done all he can as president to support them. in fact, he has done all that can be done and if you don't agree then maybe try living in the real world there, sport.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Like people said, it doesn't look like anything illegal. You can say that your workers are better off without a union all you want, even though you're lying. You can't threaten them or try and interfere with the voting process, but you absolutely can go "no more free oatmeal, you know, cause of budgets"

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Ash1138 posted:

um i think you'll find that president joseph robinette biden ii, progressive champion of the galaxy, supports unions and has done all he can as president to support them. in fact, he has done all that can be done and if you don't agree then maybe try living in the real world there, sport.

Who exactly do you think you're owning here?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I love the followup.

https://twitter.com/Shannon_Liao/status/1469367846878674947

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
just words, but it's more words than a sitting president has uttered for unions in a long while https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...g-negotiations/

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Biden fuckin sucks for sure, but the NLRB is one of the places where having Dems in power actually pushed the needle, under Trump they never filled one of the seats and it stood at 3-1 in favor of the corps with Republican chair and counsel, in 2021 it is 3-2 in favor of the Dems and the general counsel has published multiple memos expressly supporting broader interpretations of labor rights, the Amazon ruling was a good sign

This doesn't make things easy by any means but it is more favorable terrain for union action

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Nybble posted:

just words, but it's more words than a sitting president has uttered for unions in a long while https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...g-negotiations/
it is just words. he's both urging someone else to act and "while contributing fully to their employer’s success" is a big *wink* to bosses everywhere not to worry because he doesn't believe in changing the system. real elizabeth "2 cents" warren poo poo right there

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just a quick reminder this isn't D&D or CSPAM. Let's not have this argument here.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The Activision email is loving weird to me because I've only seen union busting around elections and not card signing. Companies usually stress that the card isn't legally binding, you haven't signed away anything, and you can go into the booth and there's nobody who will know if you vote against the union. Seeing them say the opposite when they'll have to argue otherwise if the cards get signed seems myopic but I'm no union buster.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

Just a quick reminder this isn't D&D or CSPAM. Let's not have this argument here.

Yeah guys let's leave the politics out of discussing a unionbusting piece of poo poo company

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Surprise, Bungie has also been a terrible place to work if you're a woman and/or POC.

IGN has spoken to 26 current and former employees that have worked at Bungie within the last decade. Their accounts of the studio's work culture encompass a wide range of experiences. They span overt sexism, boys' club culture, crunch, and HR protection of abusers, as well as more complex stories of microaggressions, systemic inequalities, and difficulties in being heard. However, interviewees also include a number of more recent employees who, despite their own hurts, truly believe the studio is slowly but steadily improving, are candid about the immense challenge of trying to turn such a massive ship in a better direction, and whose accounts of change line up with statements made to IGN by Parsons in response to this piece.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Folks, I'm starting to think the world would be way better off without straight white men in positions of power.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

30.5 Days posted:

The Activision email is loving weird to me because I've only seen union busting around elections and not card signing. Companies usually stress that the card isn't legally binding, you haven't signed away anything, and you can go into the booth and there's nobody who will know if you vote against the union. Seeing them say the opposite when they'll have to argue otherwise if the cards get signed seems myopic but I'm no union buster.

They’ll just do both and the majority of people /employees will forget about the contradiction by time it comes to sending out the election related emails.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

External Organs posted:

I'm not well versed but aren't statements like that hilariously illegal? All the anti unionization stuff I've heard of is more subtle / coded kind of language.

The US doesn't have laws in the same way that modern countries do

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

lol when some bungie exec posted their 'here is what we are doing to be better' piece two days ago I just assumed they were trying to get ahead of something about to break. Who would've guessed.

Also that's a good, exhaustive piece. It's long, but definitely worth reading.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 12, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
To be fair they've been trying to get ahead of the story since 2018 shortly after the new CEO got the job.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I always wondered why they put the guy who spearheaded sun setting out to pasture

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I always wondered why they put the guy who spearheaded sun setting out to pasture

Who was that? I only vaguely followed Destiny around then.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Sachant posted:

Who was that? I only vaguely followed Destiny around then.

Luke Smith. Game is much better w/ him not being director.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's an interesting case, because it's the one large-scale case we've heard of where they seem to be genuinely (albeit far too slowly) trying to move (inch) in the right direction instead of a few platitudes, maybe fire the worst offender, and back to normal.

But yeah, not gonna laud them for it at this pace.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Verdugo posted:

Luke Smith. Game is much better w/ him not being director.

It was so shocking that having the boss be a dedicated hardcore WoW raider ended up being a horrible time for everyone involved

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It was so shocking that having the boss be a dedicated hardcore WoW raider ended up being a horrible time for everyone involved

sending positive vibes to ion hazzikostas inevitable retirement

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

The Roblox saga continues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTMF6xEiAaY

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Can someone give me a TLDR on what is going with roblox?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

commando in tophat posted:

This video goes into good detail about what's going on with Roblox.

It's basically an operation where all of their content is created by freelance developers that they pay in an online version of corporate script (which developers can't exchange unless they meet certain extremely high thresholds, and even then the exchange rate is extremely low of robux -> real life money) and fosters an ecosystem where a good majority of the money developers make is spent on further roblox (i.e. advertising for their games). I'm sure there's more heinous stuff that the video covers that i'm forgetting.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Basically the games industry, just the devs are also kids.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Ah okay thanks, I was expecting something worse, but it is "only" really lovely payment scheme for modders. I mean compared to poo poo at blizzard and others :(

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Ah okay thanks, I was expecting something worse, but it is "only" really lovely payment scheme for modders. I mean compared to poo poo at blizzard and others :(

I mean, there's pedophiles trawling the platform and there is other abuse so, on par with, I'd say.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Splorange posted:

I mean, there's pedophiles trawling the platform and there is other abuse so, on par with, I'd say.

loving hell of course there is.

Say what you will about Nintendo's limited investment in online communication in their games, but it's probably hard to search for young kids in Mario Maker and be loving creepy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

External Organs posted:

loving hell of course there is.

Say what you will about Nintendo's limited investment in online communication in their games, but it's probably hard to search for young kids in Mario Maker and be loving creepy.

That's explicitly one of the big reasons they've been so halting and frustrating about online with ridiculous friend code setups and limited communication and phone apps. They've been terrified of the day a newspaper can run a headline 'predator stalks child through their Nintendo'.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

MikeJF posted:

That's explicitly one of the big reasons they've been so halting and frustrating about online with ridiculous friend code setups and limited communication and phone apps. They've been terrified of the day a newspaper can run a headline 'predator stalks child through their Nintendo'.

Honestly now that I am a parent I totally get it. Roblox was one of those things that I was thinking "well, maybe I'll have to learn about this poo poo in a few years"

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Watching more of the video, how is this roblox legal? Is there a checkbox that says "i am totally 18yo"? I would assume there would be laws about paying money to children, internet or not (at least I europe I would hope).

I guess I don't even have to ask if their banning reports of pedos, because of course they won't care if it doesn't make money

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Probably because they’re getting paid in Robux and not actual money unless you’re devoting an unseemly amount of time to develop specifically for Roblox. It’s incredibly hard to make an actual living off Roblox development. There’s a few companies that try but after hearing what they have to do to make it, you’d almost think it would be worth just going off on your own.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Invalid Validation posted:

Probably because they’re getting paid in Robux and not actual money unless you’re devoting an unseemly amount of time to develop specifically for Roblox. It’s incredibly hard to make an actual living off Roblox development. There’s a few companies that try but after hearing what they have to do to make it, you’d almost think it would be worth just going off on your own.

That's how it remains unfortunately legal. The other problem is that Roblox is heinously predatory in their advertising "making money" to kids extremely aggressively. Basically getting free labor from child developers who don't have anywhere near the capacity to understand that they are being used.

It's extremely disturbing to say the least

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Speaking of exploitation and abuse. What's better than being paid scraps for it? Why, paying tuition for it of course!

Jimquisition talks about DigiPen: The College That Teaches Crunch Culture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vorBajs3-yE
(edited in the new link)

The bit about the pedophile and the pedophilia supporters harassing that girl was... uncomfortable to say the least. :gonk:

Poil fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 14, 2021

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Haven’t watched the video yet and didn’t go there myself, but the coworkers I’ve had who went to digipen have all been pretty good at what they do. Not saying it as a justification for anything lovely they may do, but they do seem to be reasonably good at creating decent game devs.

e: Alright, watched the video, and a lot of that is pretty bad, but it's largely - though not completely - bad in a way that mirrors the current state of the large parts of the game industry itself. Part of me says that it's at least good for students to know what they're getting themselves in to in the real world, but it's also stuff that really needs to change in the industry. Kind of a chicken and egg problem here and both sides need fixing.

chglcu fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 13, 2021

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Now that I've watched the roblox videos: it's hosed up more than I though :smith:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

My kid plays Roblox a bunch. It’s very hosed up even if you don’t look into the more skeevy bits. Most of their content is stolen for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Poil posted:

Speaking of exploitation and abuse. What's better than being paid scraps for it? Why, paying tuition for it of course!

Jimquisition talks about DigiPen: The College That Teaches Crunch Culture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Nykj5cw2c

I watched it this morning, and memories of going there 15 years ago all came rising back up. Students crying in the bathrooms during finals, some just refusing to come back in to classes, and that was just freshman year. The video also doesn't dip into the art degree side which was rife with its own bullshit.