Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Poil posted:

Jimquisition talks about DigiPen: The College That Teaches Crunch Culture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Nykj5cw2c

Ooh, a video on my alma mater. Very excited to see what Sterling has to say about this. My own stance on Digipen has long been 'I don't regret going but hoo boy if I knew what I was getting into, I never would have gone in the first place'. Eager to see what particular instances of malfeasance they mention.

e: Yeah, sounds about right. It was a little light on some details that I would really have wanted (I'm not exactly sure who the 'professor who worked at Nintendo' is, for instance, though there were multiple professors that almost fit that exact mold). The video focuses mostly on the design program, which was definitely mismanaged during my college years. I was in the CS program which was not as disastrously mismanaged, but at its worst I was still doing 80-100 hour weeks to keep up with my project classes and my 20+ credit courseload.

Dieting Hippo posted:

I watched it this morning, and memories of going there 15 years ago all came rising back up. Students crying in the bathrooms during finals, some just refusing to come back in to classes, and that was just freshman year. The video also doesn't dip into the art degree side which was rife with its own bullshit.

Yeah, the BFA drama du jour when I attended (2011-2015) was a policy the chair of the program installed that we coloquially called 'one strike instant death'. The chair wasn't happy that BFA students were skipping coursework to work on GAM projects, so they instituted a policy of 'any missed (unexcused) assignments = instant F in the class'. That went over about as well as one could imagine.

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Ooh, a video on my alma mater. Very excited to see what Sterling has to say about this. My own stance on Digipen has long been 'I don't regret going but hoo boy if I knew what I was getting into, I never would have gone in the first place'. Eager to see what particular instances of malfeasance they mention.

Yeah, all through the video I was going "I am not shocked that this poo poo is still happening and is getting worse." The place is a crunch factory that will take whatever cash they can get from students while touting their dropout rate internally as "those who made it are the best of the best".

edit: Popping this in just because it was at the bottom of the previous page:

Dieting Hippo posted:

I watched it this morning, and memories of going there 15 years ago all came rising back up. Students crying in the bathrooms during finals, some just refusing to come back in to classes, and that was just freshman year. The video also doesn't dip into the art degree side which was rife with its own bullshit.

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 13, 2021

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
I almost certainly wouldn't have made it into the industry if I'd had to go through DigiPen. I'm largely self taught and couldn't even make it through a normal two year state tech school and dropped out like four times over six years before some lucky accidental networking paid off with an interview. An actively hostile process would've definitely had me reconsidering things. Not 100% sure if that would've been a good or bad thing, really. I might've ended up doing boring but better paying non-games programming, but on the other hand I might've gotten stuck in a factory like my last couple jobs before games.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Pseudoscorpion posted:

e: Yeah, sounds about right. It was a little light on some details that I would really have wanted (I'm not exactly sure who the 'professor who worked at Nintendo' is, for instance, though there were multiple professors that almost fit that exact mold). The video focuses mostly on the design program, which was definitely mismanaged during my college years. I was in the CS program which was not as disastrously mismanaged, but at its worst I was still doing 80-100 hour weeks to keep up with my project classes and my 20+ credit courseload.

I'm almost certain I know who that professor is, they were considered a great filter for sophomore year that failed out loads of students. Eventually they were moved up to junior year classes, then moved over to the Singapore campus.

Also, funny thing about the Game Design degree! I was there the years before it was implemented and knew a few people involved in its creation. It was a student-led initiative to have a single degree that bridged the gap between the RTIS and BFA degrees. Eventually the professor who was helping that left, and the administration took the degree and made it two separate ones (one again a programmer/art split) which defeated the whole purpose of a degree in the middle of the two. After I left I heard about the hot mess it became, which was supremely disappointing.

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Yeah, the BFA drama du jour when I attended (2011-2015) was a policy the chair of the program installed that we coloquially called 'one strike instant death'. The chair wasn't happy that BFA students were skipping coursework to work on GAM projects, so they instituted a policy of 'any missed (unexcused) assignments = instant F in the class'. That went over about as well as one could imagine.

Say the name Raymond Yan around any BFA student and you'll see them flinch. Dude would institute arbitrary requirements on art assignments for classes to match "what the industry wanted". This changed every semester (or on a whim) from what I heard from my BFA friends. I would not be entirely shocked if he was the one that came up with the batshit instant F policy.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Speaking of exploitation and abuse. What's better than being paid scraps for it? Why, paying tuition for it of course!

Jimquisition talks about DigiPen: The College That Teaches Crunch Culture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Nykj5cw2c

The bit about the pedophile and the pedophilia supporters harassing that girl was... uncomfortable to say the least. :gonk:

lol video is gone

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

it got taken down to anonymize photos/names, it'll be back up later

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vorBajs3-yE

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 14, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Roblox is fuckin disgusting.

Holy poo poo.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Roblox is fuckin disgusting.

Holy poo poo.

The Roblox platform is a ticking time bomb, at some point a particularly egregious pedophilic or racist incident is going to propel it into the headlines.

Two things they don’t really cover in the video:

There is even less human moderation than on Facebook, they rely almost solely on algorithms to catch slurs and putting a ticket in can take a loooong time. They also just added proximity voice chat which will of course be unmoderated apart from programs trying to catch slurs. Best practice for the industry is to only allow human-moderated text chat in games for young children.

A ton of the games developed on Roblox are lootbox and gambling focused. There are forums and discord channels dedicated to developing and sharing ways to get children to spend robux on their lovely gambling games.

It’s a really cool platform but letting kids into it without supervision/guidance from a parent or teacher just isn’t a good idea :(

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 14, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Everything I've heard about roblox is that most roblox games are gambling/box based in a way that would make even the most naked cash grab mobile games blush.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Digital gambling for kids that provides a vulnerable platform for predators. Pretty much the worst thing in existence.

If I had a kid, I would have strict no Roblox rules, it sounds like a dicey as hell platform.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It also just looks (and plays) like poo poo. Warcraft III custom maps at least were based off of a game with good art direction and solid controls, Roblox is as hard as you can go into Lowest Common Denominator resources and functionality.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Abner Assington posted:

Folks, I'm starting to think the world would be way better off without straight white men in positions of power.

The worst harassment I ever experienced in the industry, which of course was when I first started, came from a senior level woman. It lasted for almost 4 years.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

drat that sucks, they're still right

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
no it's stupid and we just love to say a catchphrase, because the root cause of hierarchies and power isn't catchy or fun

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

The worst harassment I ever experienced in the industry, which of course was when I first started, came from a senior level woman. It lasted for almost 4 years.

I'm sorry, i hope things are better for you now

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Kith posted:

It also just looks (and plays) like poo poo. Warcraft III custom maps at least were based off of a game with good art direction and solid controls, Roblox is as hard as you can go into Lowest Common Denominator resources and functionality.

This just isn't true- you can upload your own assets to roblox so you can plagiarize something with good art direction all you like!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Grondoth posted:

no it's stupid and we just love to say a catchphrase, because the root cause of hierarchies and power isn't catchy or fun

That's my perspective.

The problems are cultural and institutional. Hierarchy and corporate culture make it worse, but the worker abuse is easy when its a small, very competitive industry, driven mostly by passion.

If you replaced all the men with women you would still have a culture of harassment and worker abuse. There would probably be less, but its an industry culture of exploitation that enables it in the first place. Other entertainment industries have similar problems, but I can't really comment since I haven't worked in them for years.

The culture doesn't just enable harassment- there's back breaking crunch and underinflated pay that go with it, which are also evil and debilitating to many people.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Forgive the 4ch screenshot, but it looks like the blizzard guy was bragging about the breastmilk thing back in 2019 on there

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Interesting coincidence but I have too little faith in humanity to think that this hasn’t happened a bunch of times at different tech companies. Still, :wtc:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Interesting coincidence but I have too little faith in humanity to think that this hasn’t happened a bunch of times at different tech companies. Still, :wtc:

Yeah, like, I'd honestly assume that could be ANY big tech company

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, it could be any number of companies, which is really the worst part.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Roblox story (never played): on the Xbox One screenshots default to being uploaded to the cloud and then show up on a community page for the game. So some kid or whatever took a screenshot of explicit nudity in Roblox which was then automatically uploaded and viewable from the console.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Man who usually makes the headlines for being wrong about stuff decides to spend a quarter of an hour defending his good buddy Bobby Kotick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cn0g3NofnQ

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 15, 2021

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

ErrEff posted:

Man who usually makes the headlines for being wrong about stuff decides to spend a quarter of an hour defending his good buddy Bobby Kotick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cn0g3NofnQ

the universal constant of "everything michael pachter says is wrong" still holding strong

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
He seems pretty confident no more serious allegations are ever going to come out concerning Bobby in the future. Like that just seems like...poor prediction.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://youtu.be/pDOgMkOme4E

His number #1 is a pretty good call tbh

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Everything I've heard about roblox is that most roblox games are gambling/box based in a way that would make even the most naked cash grab mobile games blush.

The only thing i know about roblox is that i know 3 people who made the mistake of letting their credit card numbers fall into the hands of 13 year olds and wound up with 4 figure expenses of robux.

3 different people, 3 different early teenagers. All were family or friends of the family of the person who got their money stolen. Like these kids get so wrapped up in it that they steal 1000's of dollars from their aunts, uncles, their mom's best friend...

seriously, I was an addict and even junkies aren't as bad as 13 year olds trying to get robux. and the lovely thing is that because of who they steal from, nothing really ever gets done, the cops go "welp, do you really want to send a kid to juvie over a video game?" and it's like, these people are down their savings because these games are structured to siphon money and theres no real way to get it back.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

MikeJF posted:

That's explicitly one of the big reasons they've been so halting and frustrating about online with ridiculous friend code setups and limited communication and phone apps. They've been terrified of the day a newspaper can run a headline 'predator stalks child through their Nintendo'.

It's never stopped anyone before. :sigh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xAK-X0RA5o

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded of how people complain about Nintendo doesn't have voice chat and like, is there literally any reason for it other than to have more avenues for 12 year olds to scream racial slurs in your ear? if you want to talk to your friends, get on Discord.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There was a lot of outrage about Pictochat dick drawings and pickups as well.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminded of how people complain about Nintendo doesn't have voice chat and like, is there literally any reason for it other than to have more avenues for 12 year olds to scream racial slurs in your ear? if you want to talk to your friends, get on Discord.

I don't think anyone wants chat with randoms but for group play, it can be a real PITA to have voice chat from your phone/PC and also your Switch. You can get around it, but, you know. I can see why it's an annoyance.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

MikeJF posted:

That's explicitly one of the big reasons they've been so halting and frustrating about online with ridiculous friend code setups and limited communication and phone apps. They've been terrified of the day a newspaper can run a headline 'predator stalks child through their Nintendo'.

This is what got Swapnote killed as well. Got used as a tool to do explicitly that and Nintendo shut it down once it made the news. They brought it back later in the form of Swapdoodle but with some features cut out to prevent another incident like that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't think anyone wants chat with randoms but for group play, it can be a real PITA to have voice chat from your phone/PC and also your Switch. You can get around it, but, you know. I can see why it's an annoyance.

Yeah it's mostly about the convenience and also a small part that discord/etc can't replace the games that do stuff with voice beyond simple rooms (positional, dead/alive splitting, etc)

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Some of the methods to hook people into engagement and spending sound so goddamn innocuous, it's no wonder this poo poo never goes to court or is properly regulated. I mean it is silly to think about the virtual objects people get fomo over.

Software companies have become cutting edge at brain hacking the past couple of decades, sadly it sounds more cool than it is. Turns out we are not that complicated.

Just apes that want quick hits of dopamine.. and that cool looking exclusive hat.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Araxxor posted:

This is what got Swapnote killed as well. Got used as a tool to do explicitly that and Nintendo shut it down once it made the news. They brought it back later in the form of Swapdoodle but with some features cut out to prevent another incident like that.

There was a thriving goon Swapnote thread and I'm still sad some jerk had to abuse it and get it killed.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

tithin posted:

Forgive the 4ch screenshot, but it looks like the blizzard guy was bragging about the breastmilk thing back in 2019 on there

If Gonzalez confirmed that was a picture of her, sure. Otherwise yeah probably just yet another scumfuck tech company.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So everyone's busy laughing at Ubisoft drinking the NFT-flavoraid right?

Apparently their initial trial balloon was so universally panned and laughed at the at the CEO of the company parachuted in to start spouting "NFTs are the future! Web 3.0!" at a big meeting in the last few days. You know, something they didn't have done during the sex scandals.

So "executive suits fee-fees over their latest idiot fad following" > Sexual abuse amongst their studios.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Alkydere posted:

Apparently their initial trial balloon was so universally panned and laughed at the at the CEO of the company parachuted in to start spouting "NFTs are the future! Web 3.0!" at a big meeting in the last few days. You know, something they didn't have done during the sex scandals.

So "executive suits fee-fees over their latest idiot fad following" > Sexual abuse amongst their studios.

Well, I guess that means they don't see sexual abuse as the future, so there's at least that.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Alkydere posted:

They only worry about stuff that actually affects their bottom line.

Besides Ubisoft will probably just drop an official title card for the next Splinter Cell game and everybody will forget all about this.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah, company boards are only interested in things that will make the company money. Owning up to and addressing endemic sexual abuse in your company is hard and expensive and involves lots of bad press even if you make a real effort at it, which means most companies will simply try to ignore it and sweep it under the rug.

Meanwhile NFTs are the hot new way to try to scam stupid people out of money so of course they're all excited and brainstorming on how to make those work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Alkydere posted:

More about it: https://kotaku.com/ubisoft-boss-tells-employees-that-nfts-are-just-the-beg-1848236987

quote:

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot held a video Q&A this week to try and reassure developers about the company’s controversial new push behind NFTs, according to multiple sources who were in attendance. But they said his answers were vague and leaned on buzzwords like “metaverse” and “web 3.0,” leaving some as disheartened by the company’s latest PR disaster as before.