Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Arivia posted:

oh hey i went through this once with another goon for the meme potential it was actually pretty fun + scary

we bought printouts of our picture for $20 or whatever

that car really does gently caress you up in person

Did you know it was coming? Like was there a recognition of "oh this must be the room?" or was it engineered well-enough that it blindsided you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Did you know it was coming? Like was there a recognition of "oh this must be the room?" or was it engineered well-enough that it blindsided you?

I did not know it was coming. They do a really good job of mixing things up and keeping you on your toes with extra poo poo and weird things to make it much more effective than the other tourist trap haunted houses in the area. Like the first room is pitch black, you walk in, the entry AND exit doors seal on you and you start panicking as there’s loud air hissing. Most haunted houses would spook you and leave it at that. Instead at Nightmares the hissing is the sound of huge airbags inflating and pinning you in the center of the room for just long enough for you to worry about actually getting crushed, then the exit door unseals and you physically have to force your way out through the airbags. The car crash with the blinding lights and camera is much later and you are super disoriented and hosed up and jumping at anything.

Note there’s tons of safety exits and stuff clearly marked all over the place, you can opt out whenever you need to. It’s nothing actually physically harmful, they just do a fantastic job of scaring you.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Arivia posted:

I did not know it was coming. They do a really good job of mixing things up and keeping you on your toes with extra poo poo and weird things to make it much more effective than the other tourist trap haunted houses in the area. Like the first room is pitch black, you walk in, the entry AND exit doors seal on you and you start panicking as there’s loud air hissing. Most haunted houses would spook you and leave it at that. Instead at Nightmares the hissing is the sound of huge airbags inflating and pinning you in the center of the room for just long enough for you to worry about actually getting crushed, then the exit door unseals and you physically have to force your way out through the airbags. The car crash with the blinding lights and camera is much later and you are super disoriented and hosed up and jumping at anything.

Note there’s tons of safety exits and stuff clearly marked all over the place, you can opt out whenever you need to. It’s nothing actually physically harmful, they just do a fantastic job of scaring you.

I've been to a few decent haunted houses locally, but that sounds rad as hell.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I've been to a few decent haunted houses locally, but that sounds rad as hell.

Yeah, I would solidly recommend it if you're ever in Niagara Falls Canada with an hour to kill and tourist trap attraction money in your pocket.

One of the nice things is that it's not just cheap shot gimmicks, they do a very good job of actually setting up and earning scares from what I remember. Part of what makes the car crash work now that I think about it a bit more is that up until then the house is rooms with scares in them connected by corridors. When you get to the car crash section, it turns into winding corridors switching back and forth so you know the rules have changed a bit, then you get up to the corner and can kind of see a fence (so you don't actually walk into the crash mechanism of course), then you have no ability to turn around and have to walk into whatever it is, THEN you get the car crash. So you can steel yourself a little bit, and you know something is going to happen, but they still get you.

It is safe and fun but very intense. I would not take a grandparent, but if it's the kind of thing that interests you it is genuinely fun outside of being a forums meme.

e: i should note i went pre-pandemic, and clifton hill (the tourist trap area) got loving demolished by the pandemic, so idk what the experience is like now.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I wish I'd gone to this place when I was there instead of just getting poo poo poutine in a poo poo hooters and loving off quickly the next day once we stood by the waterfall for a bit

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

[Running sound getting louder]
(pant, pant, pant) Am I too late? Am I too late?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

ShufflerZero posted:

:boom:

GashouseGorilla
Nov 11, 2011

ShufflerZero posted:

dregma
Nov 4, 2004

I want my empire back, you son of a bitch!

Nice!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

dregma posted:

My Precious!

lol

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Christmas LOLS indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU