Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Did anyone say Kyle MacLachlan yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I've heard people suggest it, I actually think middle aged Kyle McLaughlin would have been a great older Paul in Messiah and children of dune.

edit if we're bringing in lynch cast members I like douriff or sting

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Gilbert Gottfried for Emperor.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

What's Jodorowsky doing these days?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Werner Herzog

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

there’s no overly bad casting for the Emperor because there’s so many possible takes

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

gently caress it, just go full circle and have Brad Dourif play the emperor

I think he’s dead. Not sure. Afraid to look.

Edit: I looked. We are good.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

well why not posted:

there’s no overly bad casting for the Emperor because there’s so many possible takes
James McAvoy

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

well why not posted:

James Corden

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Halloween Jack posted:

I would've enjoyed it more if the ending wasn't a setup for a Part II which is about as likely to be made as a remake of The Day the Clown Cried.

Going through old pages here, but this seems like a helluva case of 'be careful what you wish for' given modern Hollywood.

Hell, apparently in the 90s there were talks of a remake starring Robin Williams.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

My assumption has always been that those two planets managed to achieve some kind of global bourgeois capitalism before they were reintegrated into the Imperium following the Butlerian Jihad. So they're allowed to keep their weird technocratic society and develop technology for the Imperium. They're adjacent to the feudal system, like the Guild and BG, but less important. Until God-Emperor when they suddenly become really important.

While I'm also digging up old posts; suddenly realising this is probably where Warhammer 40k, while it was plundering Dune in general, got the idea for the Adeptus Mechanicus, though in that setting they're literally right next door to the imperial core. Technically, they break a shitload of core spiritual rules and run their society extremely differently from the order that's brutally enforced by every other aspect of the Imperium, but their expertise and the stuff they make is too important for anyone to actually make a fuss about it. (Though the Ixians and Tleilax are more making nice toys and conveniences for the nobles rather than the crucial importance of the AdMech having a monopoly on advanced technology) And in both cases, the society-wide hypocrisy that they represent is very much the point, that they're distrusted and disdained but at the same time relied upon and their creations trusted implicitly.

The running theme also with people like Mentats, Suk doctors, Truthsayers etc is that the Butlerian Jihad has ended up a Pyrrhic victory because of its core principles; it's not and never was about Skynet, but 'machine thinking' that makes humans obsolete; but given the roles of thinking machines were absolutely required for an interstellar society to function, they just ended up turning people into machines as well. (ironically taking 'computer' back to its old meaning as a person with a job) The Bene Gesserit breeding programs also result in this, using noble lines as basically ways of keeping track of key bloodlines where you can see them and can pair up, winnow and manipulate as necessary, controlling and inbreeding like show dogs.

Kinda the whole theme of God-Emperor of Dune is Leto II recognising all the contradictions and hypocrisies and basically making the galaxy smoke the whole pack.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

well why not posted:

Jai Courtney

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

cptn_dr posted:

What's Jodorowsky doing these days?

giving tarot readings in a paris cafe

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Neo Rasa posted:

Jai Courtney

I see you and raise Sam Worthington.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Cacator posted:

I see you and raise Sam Worthington.

But you repeat yourself.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Logan Marshall Green as yet another guy who thinks he has a hosed situation in hand but ultimately gets owned.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Maybe they should've cut all those scenes of Zendaya walking in the desert and maybe fleshed out Dr. Yueh instead. In the book he's a real character and his betrayal really means something, in the movie he's just there.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
In the book you know he's the traitor right from the start, and a part of the story is the contrast between how he will be remembered ("a million deaths were not enough for Yueh") and the turmoil of the real man. The movie doesn't really lean into the theme of prescience in the same way- if I'm a viewer unfamiliar with the series I don't know that Yueh will go down in history as a vile monster, so there's no dramatic irony in seeing him fret. They established that he was a trusted family doctor and seemed legit friendly with Paul, so his betrayal is now a plot twist, and in sequels he may well come up as the kind of guy who you spit when you say his name

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
I wish every adaptation included the scene where Yueh gives Paul the rock book.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Neo Rasa posted:

Jai Courtney

Haha for some reason my brain read this as Michael Jai White, and I was like :wrong:
"I should have known you'd be behind this, fiendish Dr. Yueh. Your knowledge of scientific biological transmorphification is only outmatched by your love of kung fu treachery!"

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Ardent Communist posted:

Haha for some reason my brain read this as Michael Jai White, and I was like :wrong:
"I should have known you'd be behind this, fiendish Dr. Yueh. Your knowledge of scientific biological transmorphification is only outmatched by your love of kung fu treachery!"

Lawl

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
"He who controls the spice controls the Universe". If that's true, then why didn't the Emperor himself control Arrakis and manage spice production? Why did he delegate it to subordinate aristocratic houses? Paul took over Arrakis and immediately made himself Emperor just by threatening to cut off spice supplies.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think this is where the balance of power comes into play. There are basically three major power groups in the Imperium- the Landsraad, the Spacing Guild, and CHOAM which is basically the mercantile class. None of them would accept the Emperor- or really anyone- having sole power over spice production/distribution. You delegate it to one house and make it clear that the obligation is *on* them to deliver spice and that can be revoked, you ensure a consistent flow- nobody can throttle the line, until (part 2 spoilers obv) Paul decides to cause problems on purpose.

The Emperor is not all-powerful, if he tried to directly control the spice and Arrakis he'd have a revolt on his hands. His whole reason for helping the Baron is that he sees Leto as a threat.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The reason Paul is able to do it when the emperor cant is that he took control of Arrakis first and then leveraged that into becoming Emperor. Its much harder to do it the other way around

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also almost anyone who could be in charge of the spice desperately wants it to keep flowing - if it stops all income stops and all the major players start looking at whether it's worth it to dip slightly into their own reserves to get an invading force onto Arrakis and get poo poo going again. Paul's leverage is the spice (and if he ended all mass production he'd be fine, he's not personally reliant on it to live happily the way any other entity would be), but his real power is that he's omniscient and controls a devastating army. He could economically cripple them and they couldn't stop him if he did.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Also he can do ecology magic and kill all the worms. He's not threatening to stop sending out spice, he's threatening to obliterate spice.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

jeeves posted:

I think the bigger problem with the tent scene was the laffo desert battle, the completely jaring 2008-Iron Man 1 era cgi on his face at the end of it, and the fact that his vision of a jihad is like... two dozen dudes fighting another two dozen

my problem with this scene is that both factions in the battle are wearing nearly identical suits in nearly identical colors. as an audience member, i can only differentiate them because one is on the left side of the screen while the other is on the right side of the screen

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

sebmojo posted:

Also he can do ecology magic and kill all the worms. He's not threatening to stop sending out spice, he's threatening to obliterate spice.

He'd also the only player that both could and would carry that out. The other houses, the BG, CHOAM, they might threaten to delay harvesting but their way of life is very much dependant on spice. Paul's happy to live his life quietly in the desert and never think about it again.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

He'd also the only player that both could and would carry that out. The other houses, the BG, CHOAM, they might threaten to delay harvesting but their way of life is very much dependant on spice. Paul's happy to live his life quietly in the desert and never think about it again.

Not just their way of life, it's literally a horrible death for everyone addicted to spice.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Polo-Rican posted:

my problem with this scene is that both factions in the battle are wearing nearly identical suits in nearly identical colors. as an audience member, i can only differentiate them because one is on the left side of the screen while the other is on the right side of the screen

This was a major issue with the film, I don’t really get why it couldn’t have been more colorful. It seems like DV is weirdly drinking the Nolan koolaid with visual style or something.

For example, I get that the whole last two thirds of the film is set on a desert, but gently caress if Lynch’s bizarre fever dream vision of an alien desert was far more memorable.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Polo-Rican posted:

You don’t need to be able to differentiate them in that scene. The point is that Paul’s having a vision of being involved in violence and death.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

jeeves posted:

This was a major issue with the film, I don’t really get why it couldn’t have been more colorful. It seems like DV is weirdly drinking the Nolan koolaid with visual style or something.

I think DV was mainly trying to bring a grounded realism to the dune universe, and totally succeeded at that. What's open for debate is whether this is a good or bad thing... it's purely subjective, imho. Do you want a realistic Dune that immerses you because it feels like it could be real? Or a true flight of fantasy into a strange and incomprehensible world? Personally I wish hollywood was more open to embracing pure fantasy more often, but then again it's much much harder to successfully pull off

Wafflecopper posted:

You don’t need to be able to differentiate them in that scene. The point is that Paul’s having a vision of being involved in violence and death.

ideally a scene can have a point WHILE the things in frame also look good

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 13, 2021

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

some of the color and atmosphere related complaints can be traced back to dp greig fraser, whose style lends itself to more washed out, "realistic" color grading (see also zero dark thirty, rogue one, and vice)—a clear departure from the style of dv's previous collaborator Roger deakins for br2049. the difference is jarring especially if you had br2 fresh on the mind while watching Dunc. In fairness, it seemed like a deliberate choice on dv's part: the color grading, the iconography of the set/costume design, and certain camera choices serve to reinforce the modern colonialism metaphor by evoking Hollywood's and the media's depiction of the Iraq war. also, deakins is one of the greatest cinematographers of our time so it's not exactly a fair comparison

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I kinda felt like Blade Runner 2049 starting with a stark white and grey palette and eventually moving into deep orange, pinks and blues was emblematic of something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Another big reason why Paul changes the game is that he actually controls Arrakis. The comparison earlier of the royal palace to the Green Zone in Iraq is apt, as it's made clear that the Harkonnens despite their long regime are still basically just an occupying force on Arrakis right up til they're made to leave, constantly clashing with the Fremen. Hence why the Atreides upon being given the fief immediately go about trying to form an alliance with the Fremen, getting an asset the Harkonnens don't have.

Once Paul (spoilers, but not really) becomes the undisputed ruler of the Fremen, he becomes basically impossible to dethrone by any standards, hence the whole events of Messiah.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Brian Cox would own as Shaddam Corrino IV.

Paul: “I want you to abdicate and go into exile while I marry your daughter and become emperor myself. Or I blow up all the spice.”

”gently caress off!”

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
It's too bad Dennis Hopper is too old and too dead because he would have been great as well

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tim Blake Nelson or nothing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The United States posted:

It's too bad Dennis Hopper is too old and too dead because he would have been great as well

There's a King Koopa joke in there somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

I think DV was mainly trying to bring a grounded realism to the dune universe, and totally succeeded at that. What's open for debate is whether this is a good or bad thing... it's purely subjective, imho. Do you want a realistic Dune that immerses you because it feels like it could be real? Or a true flight of fantasy into a strange and incomprehensible world? Personally I wish hollywood was more open to embracing pure fantasy more often, but then again it's much much harder to successfully pull off

ideally a scene can have a point WHILE the things in
I really hate how "grounded in reality" translates into "lack of color". Especially since people in real life loves to use color. If anything it makes it less realistic for everything to be in black and grey.