Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I said come in! posted:

Yeah card mini-games are a weakness of hers. I think she went all in on the one for FF9 too.

Woof, Tetra Master sucks.

Edit: page 2 snipe

X-Ray Pecs fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Its the right way to play FFVIII no doubt, but this is going to be a looong playthrough.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Longer if she never figures out how to game the junction system/take junctions off of out of party party members :laugh:

e: I think that might not get tutorialised until like Galbadia Garden

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Longer if she never figures out how to game the junction system/take junctions off of out of party party members :laugh:

Has she figured out you can just exchange magic yet? I just tuned in for the zombie president boss.

God, nothing in this game does any damage. I haven't played vanilla VIII in forever and you really can just camp out, take a break, get a snack, all while drawing as much magic as you want from a boss. That really doesn't help teach you about the easier, better methods for getting magic. No wonder none of us realized it as kids, we had no incentive to realize it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

No. Completely missed the junction exchange option in the switch screen, too. Watching other people play videogames is so stressful :negative:

She did eventually work out that you can take GFs off characters that aren't in your party.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Have any students gotten killed by the t-rexaurs in their school park before? I feel like a Balamb investigative journalist needs to do some prying, the whole place is extremely shady.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

This gets really obnoxious in the sequences where you're constantly switching around between party members. Cool, I have to completely swap over all my junctions and magic to run through the three rooms with this other party just to ensure I don't get mulched by a random encounter. And then switch it all back. And back again. And back again, again... Every time resetting the active party to 500/4000+ HP.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

No. Completely missed the junction exchange option in the switch screen, too. Watching other people play videogames is so stressful :negative:

She did eventually work out that you can take GFs off characters that aren't in your party.

At least she read the manual, which drives a lot of frustration in 'blind' playthroughs, (c'mon people, its fair game).

Unfortunately, FF8's manual sucks.

E: also everyone in this game is canonically really short. Selphie is 5'1". Only Irving and Seifer crack 6 foot.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 15, 2021

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Electromax posted:

Gonna spam my FF8 stuff in here as well because I just did a big project about it recently and this thread didn't exist yet and I fully support it.

Gallery of main characters: https://www.deviantart.com/vgcartography/art/Final-Fantasy-VIII-Character-Reference-890393819
Big bestiary of all enemies: https://www.deviantart.com/vgcartography/art/Final-Fantasy-VIII-World-Bestiary-890393275
Gallery of all weapons: https://www.deviantart.com/vgcartography/art/Final-Fantasy-VIII-Weapon-Reference-894243170

...there was also a world map and timeline summary for a youtube video:
https://www.deviantart.com/vgcartography/art/Final-Fantasy-VIII-World-Map-Labeled-890355350

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1454110449130164233?s=20

I emerged with a much bigger appreciation of what the game does well and much less concern for the clunky parts, because they don't really matter much overall. My biggest wish would be letting the past trio join up with your current party when you hit Esthar, age difference be damned.

This is all _really_ good, thank you for sharing - I will definitely credit you for the map I included in the OP as well :)

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

My favorite silly optional thing in FF8 is that in the tiny window where you're controlling Irvine in FH deciding what to do for the song you play you can just, walk away and go explore FH and see a bunch of unique scenes as shown in this LP https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VIII/Update%2051/

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Yes, there is a lot of awesome random and non-conventional quests you can take in this game, as well as some item-driven ones.

One of my favorite goofy example is Zell's Love Quest:

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Combat_King_(Final_Fantasy_VIII)#Combat_King_003_sidequest

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The fun part about Zell's Love Quest is the one unit of a spell you can get.

If you're a weirdo like me who did a No-Draw Attack/Limit Only playthrough, you can use it to get a single Meteor spell, which you can then move onto Rinoa for Angel Wing later on.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The initial 7 PC release a billion years ago was my first FF game (and arguably JRPG) but I never got very far in it due to constant crashes. I played the PC demo for 8 and wasn't impressed back then so let it lie.

Years rolled by and people routinely would say that 8 was the worst FF game and Spoony's horrifying review came out and I kept sitting on it. Finally the PC re-release on Steam hit and I figured for ten bucks I should try it.

This is now the first and only FF I have beaten. I intend to play the others but so far have not. I played this about five years back, enjoyed it well enough, and very much enjoyed the draw/junction system. That said I never really got a good grasp on it I guess because I'm reading all the posts in this thread on how you could easily break the game over your knee with it and have no idea how. Similarly I think I only ever drew for magic. I also usually despise card games in RPG's so I literally have never played a single hand of 8's card game and don't know the first rule. Hilarious to find out apparently that's a major avenue of progression in this one.

Also, I literally don't remember any of the story or characters.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Simply using the GF abilities that refine items into magic on the poo poo that drops from enemies is enough to make you OP, and if you refine the cards that drop from bosses and then refine those items into magic poo poo gets even more out of hand
As an example, the fish on the beach near balamb drop items that refine into water spells that can give you like +50 Str, and you can refine tents bought in the store into curaga which can give you +2000 HP

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

This was my first final fantasy game, I picked it up whilst staying at my uncles hotel in Edinburgh for the new year 2000.

Then I went back and played VII then IX came out and I played all the handheld remakes etc.

VIII will always be my fav, it's just so weird and the card game is so good (miss me with that same plus random bullshit though)

Irvine sux

e: I recently watched Carcinogen speedrun this game. Pretty decent run (segmented) https://youtu.be/8L2mMaH5WLg

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 16, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Booourns posted:

Simply using the GF abilities that refine items into magic on the poo poo that drops from enemies is enough to make you OP, and if you refine the cards that drop from bosses and then refine those items into magic poo poo gets even more out of hand
As an example, the fish on the beach near balamb drop items that refine into water spells that can give you like +50 Str, and you can refine tents bought in the store into curaga which can give you +2000 HP

You actually start with Tents so it's even more easily broken.

But yeah, pretty much every FF game can be broken but nowhere is it more obvious and easy than with VIII.

Beasteh posted:

Irvine sux

I would go on record saying he's the worst party member in FF history. He joins for one reason, he immediately fails at what he's there for, and his next action is to leave you to die in prison. And since this is FFVIII, he gets no actual character development so he's just always a shithead failure.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I honestly think that FF VIII is one of the absolute best in the series and I never understood the hatred a lot of people seem to have for it.

It's weird, it's goofy, the party is complete very early on and the only one I could do without is Irvine. Everything about this dude rubs me the wrong way.

It goes off the rails fast and never bothers to slow things down. Quite the opposite. Everything gets dialed to 11.

It's like a freight train hauling rear end straight into a mountain side to tunnel its way right through it.

There aren't a lot of things I don't like about this game but if I had to name some it would be

a) unskippable cutscenes
b) the needlessly long "floating in space to rescue Rinoa" part and
c) the constant party switching in the castle. The Junction system really gets annoying at this point. Luckily, it doesn't take long on replays.

Overall, I think the game deserves a lot more love just for how weird it is.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

As a kid I thought fighting back through Balamb Garden to help out my bro Cid fuckin kicked rear end.
Watching all the students fighting the Galbadian soldiers absoloutely ruled.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

tote up a bags posted:

As a kid I thought fighting back through Balamb Garden to help out my bro Cid fuckin kicked rear end.
Watching all the students fighting the Galbadian soldiers absoloutely ruled.

Unfortunately it turns out Cid is a terrible person who did not deserve your help.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Did Cid actually look like Robin Williams or was that just my brain making things up?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Not really. Google shows one specific angle where the face is similar, but the general model (especially remastered) and concept art have a big chin/jowls and don't really look like him. It doesn't seem intentional at least.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

I will die on that stupid hill.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

It's canon. I hear his voice when I read the dialogue.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

zakharov posted:

Unfortunately it turns out Cid is a terrible person who did not deserve your help.

I'd have sided with NORG if it was a WRPG.

But seriously, Cid is another canonically awful person who just faces no consequences.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

He looked like a tiny pixel blob that absolutely had a Robin Williams vibe

Electromax
May 6, 2007
One of those movies where the first half is a comedy where Principal Robin Williams bonds with his students through hijinx and fatherly guidance, only to turn in the second half when his wife goes monstress and he watches his favorite son impaled on the world's stage and totally loses it.

Cid would've been a good candidate to die when Garden goes mobile since he bows out of the story then anyway, and nobody dies during FF8*.

*:tinfoil:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

She's redoing the entire sewers section because she missed a magazine that you have to get before the part she's redoing. :laugh:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

can't you just buy it in Esthar on disc 3

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Probably!

But she's not letting chat tell her anything so I'm anticipating a solid hour of increasingly angry wall humping.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Is it a weapons monthly or just a TimMani?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Is it a weapons monthly or just a TimMani?

I think she saw it in the sewers so it's a Weapon Monthly I'm pretty sure. I have missed it in my previous playthroughs, too

So yeah, totally worthless. Weapons mean nothing in this game apart from Squall's Gunblade

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

She went back for that magazine but she skipped the Water Dragon Isle and just brute forced Mt. Pyre in Chrono Cross, missing out on story and a star....

I mean, whatever. But yeah, it is insanely frustrating watching people play video games sometimes.

And just so this is slightly more on topic, I don't dislike Man with the Machinegun but I have always preferred the orchestrated version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVKBxVC-Bpo

A kid I knew in middle school who was my first JRPG buddy had the "S Generation" CD and I made sure to get it too, jamming out to the Best Of various arrangements of PS1 FF songs, including this.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 17, 2021

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

. I also usually despise card games in RPG's so I literally have never played a single hand of 8's card game and don't know the first rule. Hilarious to find out apparently that's a major avenue of progression in this one.

Triple Triad (at least until they start introducing rules like Same and Element) is really straightforward, to the point you can learn it in one game without a tutorial. It’s simple, quick, fun, and if you do it enough at the beginning of the game, you can power level enough to not be threatened for hours.

Sensenmann posted:

It goes off the rails fast and never bothers to slow things down. Quite the opposite. Everything gets dialed to 11.

It's like a freight train hauling rear end straight into a mountain side to tunnel its way right through it.

Are you sure it doesn’t go off the rails like some kind of… Doomtrain? 👻

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FF8 owns

I love how the story is like, just busted enough that you need to spend time thinking about it to understand what's going on. The gameplay systems being the exact same way just reinforces that mental state

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i like that you can rent a car and collect a paycheck

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

you can use fuel for:

a.) gas for your car
b.) bullets for your gun

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Guncar.

Is it a gun that shoots cars? Or a car with guns? Either way, someone in Mississippi is probably working on both.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Glad to find a place with other FFVIII lovers.

It was my very first FF game (so obviously, it is my favorite). I played it as a 14 year old, shortly after it came out. It was, to my memory, the first true JRPG I played as well, so I was new to a lot of the JRPG-style systems (like random encounters). This led me to fleeing from most battles to try to blitz through the game. But at the same time, I wasn't grasping the systems enough to do a "low level playthrough."

The Adel fight probably took me close to 10+ hours of repeatedly slamming my head against the wall. Eventually, I made it all the way to Ultimecia, but I just couldn't beat her.

Frustrated, I actually started the game over from scratch and played through it "properly," and in the end had very few problems with any bosses.

Game is good. I was a moody, brooding teenager, so Squall landed perfectly for me.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Relax Or DIE posted:

i like that you can rent a car and collect a paycheck

I wish my job would give me a raise every time I completed a quiz with easily googleable answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's been so long since I chose the "I have to lie" option when being tortured in VIII that I totally forgot the different stuff you lose out on if go that route. Clearly "just let me die" is what you're supposed to do since you get help from the Moombas like items and shortcuts, hints about Laguna and Squall's relationship, and Squall himself appears to be better shape since you find him standing up.