Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

Yes, exactly! Here's a sample curve from a varitone type circuit with different caps selected.

The inductance of the pickup coil and capacitor form what's known as a 'tank circuit' that ignores freqs below the resonant freq, enhance it around there, and cut off anything above.

Should be fun to goof with. I hear they sound like a half-cracked wah pedal which a lot of people have used for tonal coloring throughout the years

very interesting.

so the major difference in the circuit is a lack of resistance from a pot?

I've been reading the sound on sound articles, especially these ones

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/further-filters
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/responses-resonance

they seem to be the same kind of topic. I do struggle with getting my head around RF circuits, I think its something I'd need to really start to do the maths on and fiddle with to get the kind of intuitive understanding you seem to have. at the very least I love reading about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
right. so a tone is

pre:
instrument signal      variable resistor (tone pot).                 fixed capacitor 
-------------------------------------/\/\/\/\/\/\/--------------------------||-------ground
So let's take, for example, a jazz bass. It has a 47 nanofarad (also known as a .047 uF) capacitor, and a 250k tone pot.

the 'reactance' (aka the resistance of the capacitor) is:

100 hz: 33k ohms
300 hz: 11k ohms
1000 hz: 3k ohms
3000 hz: 1k ohms

You get the idea.

Keep in mind resistances in series add up for the next part.

So with the tone pot at max (most resistance) the response is baaaaasically flat because you add 250k ohms to whatever the reactance is at that freq. So 283k on the low end, 251k on the high end. None of the signal really cares. A pretty flat line.

However, roll the tone knob back (no resistance) and you have a rapidly rising resistance curve vs frequency, which translates to lower voltage as the frequency rises. Hence, why the lows stay and the highs go away when you reduce the value of the tone knob - as the resistance goes down, the amount that the capacitor is part of the equation gets bigger and bigger, until it basically sucks alllll but the very lowest frequencies to ground. the lows pass to the amp.

my varitone project instead uses the pickup winding itself as the 'resistance' but in the form of an inductance. And at a certain frequency, the currents from the inductor will be more or less perfectly stored in the capacitor and the capacitor will perfectly re-magnetize the inductor, as the AC current wiggles back and forth. That's the resonance hump we see in the graph i posted. AND instead of changing the inductor's value (which we can't, really), we're going to change the capacitor value, which will re-tune the circuit made by the pickup coil and capacitor up or down in fixed chunks.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 14, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ac is literally magic

seems very backwards at first that the tone pot is at max resistance and that’s what let’s the tone thru unfiltered

thanks for that. i’m gonna go read it a few more timew

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Penisface posted:

i have a roland a33 now. i do care about rhodes and all the other retro wurlies and organs, but that part is mostly covered by my roland xv5080 rack box. i figured that if i ever update, it will be to a doepfer top of the line keybed, so i keep the touchy feely part separate from the sound generation

my current setup is inspiring enough so i think i will not mess around with it too much though

i am insane and love spending money so i have one of these https://www.kawai-global.com/product/ca79/

idk why anyone would get something like an upright piano when they make such good digital grands these days. they sound better, dont have to be tuned, and can be plugged in to a comp for recording or use as a midi controller. top end ones go so far as to model resonance between strings, based on if the sustain pedal is depressed or the key for the proper string to resonate etc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://youtu.be/4pQe00m_K-c

music video
beat drops at 3mins

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

echinopsis posted:

https://youtu.be/4pQe00m_K-c

music video
beat drops at 3mins

nice, reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wTl-wYL0-k

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
odd obsession with the subzero rogue vi in the polar white

30" scale, plays like a guitar but it's tuned one octave down. It's a "bass", it's a "guitar", but it's neither and both. also has some nice humbuckers instead of trying to be a faithful Bass VI copy

dude in the hat is playing it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLdN80olBVA&t=50s

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

i am insane and love spending money so i have one of these https://www.kawai-global.com/product/ca79/
https://youtu.be/42e5HuHLrsQ if you wanna spend more

quote:

idk why anyone would get something like an upright piano when they make such good digital grands these days.
because next year's digital piano is always juuuust a bit better than previous year's and with an upright this doesn't happen

unless you get an una corda or one of those weird innovated pianos

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Laserjet 4P posted:

https://youtu.be/42e5HuHLrsQ if you wanna spend more

because next year's digital piano is always juuuust a bit better than previous year's and with an upright this doesn't happen

unless you get an una corda or one of those weird innovated pianos

My god. It's beautiful.

Yeah that's true about digitals. Ofc you have a midi out so you can always throw a comp on it and always use the best. And also means you can use whatever instrument but with actually good action instead of the garbage you get on most controllers.

I want something like a komplete kontrol s88 with the LEDs to show selected vst playing range but with actually good key action.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thanks man. that track is good poo poo thanks.

I know my stuff spins unfinished, and I hosed up the direct recording so had to use the video audio, but decided that I need to “publish” my “songs” so there is a definitive there that I can try to replicate (in general) live, so that hopefully it can grow and evolve

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sketches are fine especially in the context of what you're doing. 'improvising' in the same way till you get a track you're happy with is gonna suck all the interesting out of it. shine on and keep posting those

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe.. but I do think the performances would benefit from sounding cohesive lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

idk why anyone would get something like an upright piano when they make such good digital grands these days. they sound better, dont have to be tuned, and can be plugged in to a comp for recording or use as a midi controller. top end ones go so far as to model resonance between strings, based on if the sustain pedal is depressed or the key for the proper string to resonate etc

I have a nice Yamaha hybrid piano but man, is it not the same. A family member has a Steinway grand I get to play sometime and it sounds so full and feels alive with resonance

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

and even good uprights have more presence.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

akadajet posted:

I have a nice Yamaha hybrid piano but man, is it not the same. A family member has a Steinway grand I get to play sometime and it sounds so full and feels alive with resonance

Is it hooked up to tens of thousands of dollars of speakers? Your Yamaha I mean. But yeah they are still def improving. A 10 year old one sounds like garbage compared to new ones

I've never heard an upright Ive been really pleased with. And ive things other than crappy hand me downs or whatever.

But I also don't particularly like the sound of steinways. bosendorfer for me.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thinking back to some pool party or whatever where john legend played on a concrete at-least-baby-grand piano

wanna see the logistics of the dropoff/pickup on that one

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I used to play on a 50’s era mason and hamlin upright (old enough to have ivory key tops) and I was always really impressed with the tone of it. and idk, uprights can sound nice in their own way

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

akadajet posted:

(old enough to have ivory’s)

Dang i've never even thought about this until now. I assume they're all just polycarbonate now or w/e eh

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Dang i've never even thought about this until now. I assume they're all just polycarbonate now or w/e eh

yeah and it’s nice because they don’t yellow and crack like real ivory does

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

oh yeah for some styles of music uprights just 'fit' where a grand in no way would

like you aren't gonna play ragtime on a fine grand piano, it'd sound weird. i meant for like more classical kinda stuff i guess. but it's all personal preference anyway

get what makes you happy and lol if you do anything else. i just feel like if i were dropping the money on a super nice piano id need a prepared space for it to go too to really enjoy it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
MAAAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIqJqpzQiAg

CMON ALREADY

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

oh yeah for some styles of music uprights just 'fit' where a grand in no way would

like you aren't gonna play ragtime on a fine grand piano, it'd sound weird. i meant for like more classical kinda stuff i guess. but it's all personal preference anyway

get what makes you happy and lol if you do anything else. i just feel like if i were dropping the money on a super nice piano id need a prepared space for it to go too to really enjoy it

ragtime sounds awesome on everything. on 100 year old poo poo uprights and even 9 foot concert grands

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i will never want to get into differences of "tone" between uprights-grands, even less between different manufacturers. that poo poo is just going to drain all the soul of the music. i mean i can't listen to most of my favorite music using the same monitoring gear it was made with and even less in the same surroundings, mood, ambience, all the other things which make music meaningful in different contexts.

i will say though that this controller talk has made me interested in trying out a modern top of the line keybed, if only because my a33 still has the japanese adapter and i need to power it through a step down transformer, which is a bit dumb

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If you’re into something though you kinda end up into all of it really. I can tell the difference between blender renders done on intel cpu vs amd cpu

I was reading about some midi board and they were comparing polyphonic aftertouch and I can really say that poly aftertouch is so worthwhile to add to your playing.

I would love to have time alone with a decent weighted keyboard.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

weighted keys are nice, but what really takes it to the next level is having proper grand key action. it's immediately apparent when you play them. high end digital pianos will actually be moving a hammer and have an escapement mechanism to return it to rest after the key has been pressed like how an acoustic piano action works.

and yeah the other big thing is the feel of the keys themselves. ivory has some porosity to it so it doesn't feel completely smooth like cheaper keyboards do with hard plastic, and also absorbs moisture from the fingertips so your fingers dont slide around on them or get a layer of oil on them.

biggest downside though is that you then judge other keyboards based on that feel and only really pricey stuff is going to have it.

Penisface posted:

i will never want to get into differences of "tone" between uprights-grands, even less between different manufacturers. that poo poo is just going to drain all the soul of the music. i mean i can't listen to most of my favorite music using the same monitoring gear it was made with and even less in the same surroundings, mood, ambience, all the other things which make music meaningful in different contexts.

i only care about it when it comes to me making music. i choose what i like best based on my equipment. if it doesn't sound as good on something else oh well, not like im trying to sell it or anything. i bought a kawai digital piano because i like the sound of it the best. but i can throw it's output on my comp and have it be (close enough) to an imperial bosendorfer so whatever without spending 100k (for a used one).

can't change the key feel though with a computer

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

If you’re into something though you kinda end up into all of it really. I can tell the difference between blender renders done on intel cpu vs amd cpu

it's not a deterministic algorithm?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

akadajet posted:

it's not a deterministic algorithm?

most likely not. there's always that moment when people get excited about switching to nvenc from software encoding for twitch or adobe media encoder and they start yelling about how it now looks terrible

anyways ordered a bunch of tools and supplies to do a fret job on my B standard guitar project. it's old and tired and needs a good shineup from headstock to tailpiece. super nervous as the neck is bound and i do noooot want to have to refret, but i think there's enough of them left that i can get one more round out of them

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

i only care about it when it comes to me making music. i choose what i like best based on my equipment. if it doesn't sound as good on something else oh well, not like im trying to sell it or anything. i bought a kawai digital piano because i like the sound of it the best. but i can throw it's output on my comp and have it be (close enough) to an imperial bosendorfer so whatever without spending 100k (for a used one).

can't change the key feel though with a computer

of course. i do this but it is consciously up to a point. speakers and headphones are the most important for me, the rest i can live with if i use a shoddy piano preset from a rompler and somehow make it sound good to me

like the extreme for me is pianists who refuse to play if their steinway has the wrong serial number - i never want to become like that. give me a busted upright that barely stays in tune and i will find a way to make it work for whatever i am trying to do in the moment

and yeah even though i can now afford most gear i would want, i recognize that once my monitoring-listening chain is in place, *any* gear is enough to make music to blow my mind (and hopefully yours). so here it's more of a question of what sort of instruments-tools-workflow makes you happiest, i.e. "do i want a modular or a sampler workflow" rather than "should i get cheapo behringer or the og moog modular"

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

oh yeah. thats really awful and silly. most 'decent' audio stuff is good enough for me to listen on. im not going to refuse to listen to music on something because it's just not what i have or whatever. if it was produced decently that it's probably fine. and listening to music you like on a wide variety of equipment is awesome because you usually hear things you wouldn't normally so it adds to the experience imo.

one of my fav things to listen to music on are my good IEMs. because there's no room acoustics or anything interfering. i don't live in a perfectly sound damped house (or at all). i usually hear a lot of cool details that were obscured before.

on the subject of workflow, i just got back from a week long vacation and put on my ancient by computer standards (2013 mac air) lighter weight plug-ins than i would normally use, and found some awesome sounds that i might not have even considered before. it cant deal with super high end stuff like well sampled orchestra instruments. not that it has the drive space for it anyway.

limiting yourself in regards to equipment you use sometimes is awesome and i'm going to 'artificially' do it more in the future

i also picked up a little arturia minilab mk2 for the trip and it's been fun to mess with

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fuckin' welp

quote:

1 x SubZero Rogue VI Baritone Electric Guitar, Polar White
Delivery date (est.):
21/12/2021

and uh calling it a baritone is an understatement. 30" scale and an octave down.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol so what kind of hz is the frequency of the low string open?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
41 hz, same as a standard 4 string bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vml4Fz_pYbI

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh what does octave down mean then?

anyway that’s a superior frequency for crippling your enemies and decimating parliament buildings

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
12 frets down from a regular guitar. basses start at 41 hz, regular 6 strings start at 82. octaves are double or half the hertz

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh poo poo I only just clicked that it’s not a bass

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah man its a fuckin grind machine monster hahaha. time for me to try my hand at some doom 2016 covers

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh also

i put my flatwounds on the ibanez and put some funky knobs on to give it some pop. and yes i'll pull the plastic off but i got some rewiring to do first

i like wrenching and soldering on instruments as much as i do playin' em.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lovely shadetree luthier day:

* got strings and a bunch of tools in
* decided to finally put non-factory strings on my SX fat tele
* Horrified to learn that all the neck screws were 1/4+ turn loose and the goddamn thing was just rattling around but i never noticed cause string tension was keeping it together
* Fixed that
* Installed my nice fatty 11's
* Absolutely could not get the action anywhere near low even though the truss rod was acting fine and my relief was right in spec
* Decided to say gently caress it and took it apart, used one of those keychain grocery store member cards for a neck shim
* This lined it up perfectly and i was right in the middle of saddle height adjustment range now
* Snapped the D because I was an idiot and didn't loosen it before i raised the saddle so i'm back on the stock D but whatever (i hate the string cut thing for this exact reason)
* Got string heights nailed down nicely
* Adjusted pickup heights so the neck bucker wasn't completely overpowering the bridge any more

I'm almost confident enough that i'd be willing to work on somebody else's guitar at this point haha

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

* Snapped the D

:whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

bought the hardware to build a slide out tray under my desk for my S49 to make it a lot more comfortable to use, so that should be fun.

i also got the insane idea that i want to take my digital grand piano keyboard out of its enclosure so that i can build a new desk that has that on a slide out tray. the top part that has the keyboard, electronics, etc is in a fairly tall enclosure so that the sheet music stand is at the right height and for the speakers.

i've looked at disassembly of similar ones and it's pretty straight forward and I should be able to build an enclosure for it that's 10-12 cm in height, maybe lower. the enclosure it comes in is maybe 30 or so cm tall, so it would make the ergonomics really bad. either the desk would be too high or the keys too low. depending on how the sides are held on, i may be able to get away with using the bottom that it's on, and just building a new top/sides/back which would be easier but we'll see. otherwise i'll take measurements of the mounting points and make attachments on a new bottom. the sides will also need to be able to hold the bridge above they keys but that's fairly simple. not sure if i want to make the enclosure out of wood or metal yet though.

then i can just run the line out from it to my comp and connect it with midi as well. i can use it as a digital grand or as a midi controller.

ive also been working more on my mixing console and have most of the schematic laid out so i can do the pcb and get it printed. plan is to have 4 channel controls for each module, use a connector, and be able to expand it out to whatever i want. it's going to be a busy winter break

edit: i also bought a 42" 4k monitor because i need more screen