Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

just give me a remastered pre-CU Star Wars Galaxies and I'll never look at another game, let alone MMO, again.

I would also love that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

same

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Proud Christian Mom posted:

just give me a remastered pre-CU Star Wars Galaxies and I'll never look at another game, let alone MMO, again.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3799516 Take your pick.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

BadLlama posted:

counter point, in this lovely game, I was flagged in a high level zone while leveling, another guy was actually flagged and we fought eachother for a good 30 minutes with each one of us dying several times. Then I simply message him good fights but really want to finish my quest and then we didn't touch each other for the rest of the day. pvpers are all psychotic mass murders of children though

what in the name of gently caress are you talking about

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Interview with the game's director is such a nothing burger.

quote:

It’s been a learning experience. We’ve been humbled by the response to New World and this has led to significantly more scale than we had in our alpha or public beta, and that’s surfaced some issues. We understand the importance of responding quickly and we’ve been trying to fix the issues as fast as possible.

Early on we were so focused on fixing the issues that we didn’t do a good enough job communicating with the players. This is something we’ve put a lot of effort into correcting and will continue to make a focus.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/new-world/interview-post-launch-scot-lane

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 14, 2021

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

30.5 Days posted:

what in the name of gently caress are you talking about

whiny babies crying about pvp

VVVVV

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 14, 2021

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ill say what everyone else is thinking, because what were thinking is cold hard facts: pvpers are all psychotic mass murders of children

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
No kids play full loot pvp mmo games for fun, they would just go play a battle royale.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I stopped expecting anything interesting in terms of sandbox PvP content from AGS when they put out a blog post describing, across the board, all ganking interactions as toxic

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
They aren’t wrong, though? It’s never fun to be the gankee. Maybe if game devs designed/balanced around it, but that’s probably a couple bridges too far for AGS

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

are we defining ganked as simply any pvp interactions, or a pvp interaction where you literally have no chance because of numbers, level diff, whatever broken rules the game decides on?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Honorable combat is when I kill you and toxic ganking is when you kill me.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

idiotsavant posted:

They aren’t wrong, though? It’s never fun to be the gankee. Maybe if game devs designed/balanced around it, but that’s probably a couple bridges too far for AGS

It’s not fun to lose in a BR or moba either, but sometimes games need to have not fun parts to emphasize the fun parts.

My open world pvp mmo experience is limited to EVE and Albion, but in both games the threat of being ganked was a really important aspect to how PVE content was organized - yeah sure you could go for max efficiency/clear times, but you sacrifice survivability. This does rely on the ability to design a well balanced experience which yeah is probably too much for AGS.

Also note in both of those games it is incredibly easy to avoid ganks unless you are literally AFK - yet people still fail that most basic test.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Control Volume posted:

Ill say what everyone else is thinking, because what were thinking is cold hard facts: pvpers are all psychotic mass murders of children

I’ll stop murdering children when they stop calling me slurs. :colbert:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Meme Poker Party posted:

Honorable combat is when I kill you and toxic ganking is when you kill me.

ty for the clarifications

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

BadLlama posted:

are we defining ganked as simply any pvp interactions, or a pvp interaction where you literally have no chance because of numbers, level diff, whatever broken rules the game decides on?

I always based it on the numbers/statistical impossibility of survival.

Someone (or a small group) gets the drop on me, with most things being equal, and I die? No problem.

Giant swarm shows up to kill my noob rear end? Funny at first, can get annoying and turn me “off” the game.

Poopsocker running around one shoting me for no reason other than “lol, get wrecked noob” with no possibility of me retaliating? Yeah, no thanks.

It’s a spectrum.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I agree with that

one thing new world got right was not having any sort of bullshit invisible class, 10/10 on that decision.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 15, 2021

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
When I played Dark Age of camelot, I enjoyed 3 things, but it absolutely made other people hate the game, but was relatively fair:
#1: Kill random noob zergs with a coordinated 8-man group. Killing 40-60 people with 1 group was very satisfying.
#2: Soloing or using small groups to hunt people with equal or larger numbers.
#3 Soloing noob zergs in battlegrounds. I'd be decked out, but it would be fair if it was 4+v1. I was an absolute bogeyman in Thidranki. Absolute pinnacle of my life as a gamer.

Stealth Zergs were the worst and made #2 a pain in the rear end sometimes.
Doing this in open world was great.

PUBG was actually the first game I played since DAOC that captured that for at least a little while.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Uhh ganking has always been about preying on easy/isolated targets? Like you go get your gank squad and run around trying to find soft targets farming to take their poo poo, or solo/smaller groups that you can get the drop on & take their poo poo, etc. The whole point of a gank vs just open world pvp is to set up an unfair advantage, blitz people, and then book it before reinforcements can show up.

You don’t have to run around doing honorable combat emotes or whatever but there’s a difference between a 5-man gank squad and a 5-man group just roaming for pvp

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

there are a lot of people that equate dying in open world to another player as being "ganked"

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
The definition of ganking is that you have zero chance whatsoever to fight back. Either it's 1v1 where the enemy is at max level trolling newbie zones for fun, or it's a larger group of slightly to massively over-levelled people roaming and murdering solo players for shits and giggles (and usually high-tailing it when any serious resistance arrives because they're poo poo-eating cowards).

None of this is compelling, rich gameplay, nor does it's existence improve the game in any way. I have never played an MMO with PvP where the experience would not be vastly improved by preventing you from initiating combat against anyone more than X levels below you.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Ganking should encourage pvp theoretically by asking for help but it doesn’t very often.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Ort posted:

Ganking should encourage pvp theoretically by asking for help but it doesn’t very often.

That's not why people do it, though. If they wanted to pick on someone their own size, they would go to an appropriate level zone. 99% of the time as soon as any help arrives the ganker(s) mysteriously fade away into the bushes until they leave.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

why are you all talking like we don't have 25 years of history and knowledge on this

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

cause im old and bitter and hate mmos

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
In games like Crowfall or I imagine Albion, if you are solo farming and a gank squad is roaming a zone, you ask your guild for help and now you are hunting the squad. That is what I’m referring to and it works sometimes but not in many games.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

cosmicjim posted:

When I played Dark Age of camelot, I enjoyed 3 things, but it absolutely made other people hate the game, but was relatively fair:
#1: Kill random noob zergs with a coordinated 8-man group. Killing 40-60 people with 1 group was very satisfying.
#3 Soloing noob zergs in battlegrounds. I'd be decked out, but it would be fair if it was 4+v1. I was an absolute bogeyman in Thidranki. Absolute pinnacle of my life as a gamer.

PUBG was actually the first game I played since DAOC that captured that for at least a little while.

Mass fights in DAoC were why I played it so long and put so many drat hours into that game from release, and the frontier battles in that game were great.

I tried some of the open PvP servers but they just devolved into unworkable messes. That is when it became clear to me that fully open PvP just was not as enjoyable as having areas for open PvP. Battlegrounds were great fun as well, and I rerolled characters a bunch just for those level-restricted battlegrounds.

The coordinated 8-man PBAoE bombs on zergs were frustrating (on the receiving end), but that was partly because of distant buffbots that forced people to have multiple accounts (until this eventually got nerfed). This coupled with speed buffs and lag meant coordinated 8-man groups could regularly smash random zergs.

Consequently, one of my favorite gaming moments was some expansions later, in a brutal relic raid where we had lost most of the zerg (but not the relic somehow) twice:
I broke off to scout as a Valkyrie, and the 8-man ran to gank me, but didn't expect me to rush towards them, so they were slightly too slow on CC, and I got off my buff stripping abilities before dying horribly.
Without strong buffs and in their attempt to recover somewhat, they got smashed by our raid to carry the relic that last bit home.
The icing on that memory cake was a Hibernian bitching about Valkyries on the forums with a screencap of me screwing up their relic steal attempt.

e: Things like this just don't... really happen any longer. You had to have intelligence via scouts with DAoC in the frontiers. You don't need that in, for example, New World wars which are tiny zones more akin to battlegrounds. At most you need to figure out what flag people are going to and respond.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 15, 2021

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

cosmicjim posted:

DAoC in a coordinated 8 man on comms was hilarious you could kill so many people. We had a god tier bard who could time an aoe mez like you wouldn’t believe and ran aoe damage. We often did what you mention and just delete 30 or 40 Zerg folks. Undeniable fun.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Barreft posted:

why are you all talking like we don't have 25 years of history and knowledge on this

Lol basically this. Like, ganking has been a thing since UO

Someone will always find a way to be a carebear dummy and get mad that they can’t afk farm in a pvp zone without getting killed, but maybe if devs did a better job overall at open world mmo pvp mechanics there wouldn’t be stupid terms like carebears and gankers.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
If every battle needs to be balanced between each side in terms of levels, experience, and number of players, in order to prevent what they consider toxic ganking, then why even make a open world PvP MMO? They should've made a multiplayer game with matchmaking instead if that's what they wanted.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

BadLlama posted:

there are a lot of people that equate dying in open world to another player as being "ganked"

I definitely don’t. And I don’t think I made clear, but because even as far back as 1999 I didn’t play games at all until an hour or two after midnight cst during the week. Most of the players were NA, and if I got smacked, hopefully I didn’t get killed by the NPC I was fighting because you lost xp then.

That time of night, though, means the ganker didn’t have many victims available, so a “gank” often turned into “corpse camping someone twenty levels lower.” I don’t care how you feel about it, but it’s not fun when not only are you losing your money, but you can’t do any “game” and just have to quit. I think that’s why I stuck with WoW so hard for so long…you could play both PvE & PvP but neither interfered with the other.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
good scouting absolutely matters in NW but it mainly only matters in the openworld influence push portion of it, which some servers have a lot of and some servers have pretty much zero so experiences will differ wildly. openworld zvz is real different from war/OPR because you arent in some small static map, there is no arbitrary time limit, and you also cannot expect equal numbers or gear.

I didn't do a hell of a lot of pvp personally when I played NW but I remember one night when we were defending a push, green had us outnumbered a little less than 2-to-1 and we relied heavily on the scouts so that we could keep hitting where their main force wasnt - if they pushed fort we'd leave and harass the quest spots, if they left fort we'd yoink fort, if they split up or we could surprise them we'd mass up and smash their split. this went on for about 2-3 hours such that they couldn't actually progress enough influence to declare, and they were not able to declare. the three scouts that night were absolute MVP

it's not nearly the importance that scouts have in albion or eve but that mainly comes down to the fact that if you gently caress up in those games you lose big. real big. cap to vily

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

a couple of world sets getting merged from 7 servers down to just one tomorrow. bout time they got more aggressive with it

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They say how they were going to handle settlements?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think a lot of people confuse ganking which is fine and acceptable if you’re flagged for pvp, and griefing (e.g corpse camping) which is not fun and shouldn’t be acceptable.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
No sane company is going to lean more towards pvp when the money is all in PVE.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Anita Dickinme posted:

They say how they were going to handle settlements?

Random number generator, loser gets 50k

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Raged posted:

No sane company is going to lean more towards pvp when the money is all in PVE.

I mean... what the hell is the point of the money if you aren't going to engage in PvP? To look the number go up every day?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

hes talking about actual business publishers, developers etc, not companies inside the new world the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

there's plenty of money in pvp just not in this cursed genre

the ghosts who flutter from jank survival game to jank survival game are currently DMing me to ask if i will be playing atlas season 8 today. last season didnt break 500 players but at least this one will